1 Encore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Boston 3 only got one encore so they could add an extra song. But, however, the extra song was "Vertigo". Why must they play it twice?

SMB

Shawn Bonneau said:
Boston 3 only got one encore so they could add an extra song. But, however, the extra song was "Vertigo". Why must they play it twice?

SMB

Well, they are getting old -- perhaps they forgot they already played it? :D :D

After Vertigo, when they left the stage, the place stayed dark for several minutes, and I was thinking that they might come back and do one more, but they didn't.

Is that how it has been going on the tour? Usually when they know they are done, the lights pretty much come on right away, but it took a while last night. I think it gave people the wrong message, because others I were around were like, "Why did they do that and not come back out again?"

they used to play "i will follow" twice all the time way back when, so its not like them repeating songs is something brand new

flangerchorus said:
they used to play "i will follow" twice all the time way back when, so its not like them repeating songs is something brand new

That is weird though -- to play the same song twice. I'd rather hear a different song than one they already played that night. Perhaps if they were a band with only a couple of albums out it wouldn't seem so odd, but they have loads of songs to pick from to play.

I know a lot of people who were at shows w/ Vertigox2 said the second one was great. but if it's so good at the end, how bout they just get rid of the first time they play it and put something else there. it's not like its the opener, so that wouldnt be such a good deal. i agree that there are literally a kazillion other songs they could play, instead of playing the same one twice. whatever...

I love Vertigo twice.

It's an extra song really. If you don't want that to be the last song, leave.

Yes, I'm sure we would all prefer a different song, but I love leaving after hearing Vertigo again. It pumps you so up.

It's just a fun thing. If they play it, you know they are having fun and responding to the crowd.

I think them playing Vertigo twice is great. Nothing like leaving on an energized song. They didn't play it twice when I saw them in Philly, but I wouldn't have minded. Im not picky when it comes to what songs they play. I like them all..

Would have loved to have been there for "whose gonna ride your wild horses" the other night.

I`m not such a big fan of Vertigo x 2 for all reasons mentionned above, but I think it can be cool once or twice. I have to say it was great on Saturday because it was the last show of the tour and it was a perfect ending. But they`ve done it too often already IMO.

And yes, they waited WAY longer than usual to turn on the work lights at the end of the show for Boston 3. I also thought maybe they would come back because of that, but at the same time I knew thay had played 21 or 22 songs, which is pretty much the maximum they ever play. Although it was only one encore, they played the same amount of songs (maybe even one more) than usual.

Generally when the lights stay down for an extended period of time after the final song, the band is doing a "runner" - meaning they are already in their cars on their way out of the arena area before the lights come back up.

Vertigo x2 was my very favorite moment of the 5 shows I have seen so far on this tour. It was a phenomenal thing to leave on that high note. What is more entertaining is watching the band do it for themselves. The energy gained by a second unplanned performance is extraordinary and well worth it. It is an almost "breaking the rules" sort of feeling and the band eats it up. For those that haven't experienced it, I am sorry because it is truely one of the best things they did this leg.

phanan said:
After Vertigo, when they left the stage, the place stayed dark for several minutes, and I was thinking that they might come back and do one more, but they didn't.

Is that how it has been going on the tour? Usually when they know they are done, the lights pretty much come on right away, but it took a while last night. I think it gave people the wrong message, because others I were around were like, "Why did they do that and not come back out again?"

5/14 in Phila I think lights came up almost right after Larry left the stage when he finished his '40' solo. 5/26 in Boston they stayed down for about 2-3 minutes or so after Bad was over.

Back
Top Bottom