(08-30-2004) Bono To Appear on FOX's O'Reilly Factor - NYTimes*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono To Appear on FOX's O'Reilly Factor

Ed. Note: Interference reader Russell has sent in the following tidbit that was first reported on the Drudge Report.

Ink-Stained Wretches Angle for Some Ink
By DAVID CARR

The news media gathering that is part of any political convention got off to a festive, if not substantial, start this weekend with a huge party, but there were indications that there would still be a few surprises from the media hordes even without much mystery concerning who would represent the Republicans in the November election.

Given the sudden concentration of media outlets at the Republican National Convention, the various players are fighting to be heard above the din. CNN has taken over the Tick Tock diner on Eighth Avenue near Madison Square Garden as the broadcast site of "Crossfire,'' while its rival Fox News has come up with an unexpected guest in the form of Bono, the lead singer of U2 and the rare celebrity who actually knows something about public policy. Bono is booked on "The O'Reilly Factor," with Bill O'Reilly as host, on Wednesday night, promising a conversation between two men who would seem to have little in common besides their Irish heritage.

Bono represents a choice booking at a convention in which celebrities will be tough to come by. Many members of the A-list have fled and the ones remaining probably have been elected along the way. Fox is also working to get some time tonight with Rudolph W. Giuliani, the most sought-after commodity at this convention other than the presumptive nominee.

To read the full article from the New York Times, visit: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/30/b...partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position=

To read the Drudge Report, visit: http://www.drudgereport.com/

Many thanks to Russell!

Wow! Bono against a extreme right wing conservative.

This will be interesting.

Last edited:
Will anyone be recording this? Any chance of getting either a transcript or maybe even some audio? (yeah, I'm cheap -no cable...)

Seconds said:
Wow! Bono against a extreme right wing conservative.

Um, you don't watch O'Reilly much do you?

Yeah, he's conservative in some aspects, but "extreme" is pushing it...I mean, among other things the guy is pro-choice and pro-environment...two aspects that are far from "extreme right wing".

I'm looking forward to the interview...O'Reilly has a good sense of humor and should keep it interesting.

O'Reilly has criticized Bono in the past. Round about the time Bono was in Africa with O'Neil, he was the focus of one of O'Reilly's "talking points memos." He said everyone should realize ("You too, Bono") that the US cannot keep "throwing money" at the problem until foriegn nations start being held accountable for what they do with the money.

O'Reilly obviously didn't realize that transparency and accountability has always been part of Bono's vision.

As far as O'Reilly being an "extreme right wing conservative," as someone who watches the show on a regular basis, I'd say no, he's not an extremist. His show, however, is the most manipulative and misleading in the media today.

I honestly think O'Reilly is going to have the utmost respect for Bono (and vice-versa) and it'll be a very civil interview - beneficial for both sides.

This will be the first time I've ever watched "The O'Reilly Factor"--FOX News isn't must-see TV for me, IMHO.

I'd much rather see Bono go on "Countdown with Keith Olbermann," which I do watch and is on the same time as O'Reilly. But Keith only gets about 1/4 of O'Reilly's ratings.

Ah, the things I do for U2...

O'Reilly may not be extreme in his political views, but I find him to be rude and simple minded. However, I think he will tone it down a bit with Bono. Moreover, Bono won't be there to debate - he knows O'Reilly's audience and will use the opportunity to try to appeal to the right for support in his cause.

Of course, I would much rather see Bono give it to O'Reilly by providing his real views on many issues (Iraq, etc.), but I know he sees the Africa cause as more important than his own personal views (i.e., he will not offend those he is trying to convert) .

Unfortunately, it will be civil...if O'Reilly lets him talk, that is.

I've seen his show a handful of times and he never seems to shut up and listen unless the person he's interviewing is representing his viewpoint. He's irritating!

LPU2 said:
O'Reilly has criticized Bono in the past. Round about the time Bono was in Africa with O'Neil, he was the focus of one of O'Reilly's "talking points memos." He said everyone should realize ("You too, Bono") that the US cannot keep "throwing money" at the problem until foriegn nations start being held accountable for what they do with the money.

O'Reilly obviously didn't realize that transparency and accountability has always been part of Bono's vision.

As far as O'Reilly being an "extreme right wing conservative," as someone who watches the show on a regular basis, I'd say no, he's not an extremist. His show, however, is the most manipulative and misleading in the media today.

spin spin spin... he didn't criticize Bono. He actually said he admired him for his efforts, and that all he wants is proof that the money will actually go to where it needs to go this time, when so many times in the past American aid ended up in the hands of dictators and tirants.

I give you the first two sentances of O'Reilly's comments on Bono and Africa, from when he went over there with Secretary O'Neil...

You have to love this guy Bono. The lead singer for U2 really wants to help the world, and I admire that.
-Bill O'Reilly

He then said that he had concerns because most money that has gone to Africa in the past ends up in the hands of dictators and not in the hands of the people. Bono agrees with this notion, and part of his vision is to change this practice. All O'Reilly is asking in this article is to prove accountability before America signs over more checks, which i feel really isn't asking much.

In the past 25 years, American taxpayers have contributed almost 40 billion dollars to help Africans. And what do we have to show for our money?

Nothing, that's what.

Now some of that is our fault. We sent millions to brutal dictators to keep them out of the Soviet orbit. We bribed killers so they wouldn't become commies. But it didn't matter whether they embraced Leninism because thieves are thieves, no matter what ideology they spout. Much of the aid that America sent to Africa went directly into the bank accounts of the Robert Mugabes of the world. Thugs, pure and simple.

Bono and some American media people would have us believe that things are different now, that the African governments are ready to "evolve," as they say in California. Well I'm from Missouri on this one: Show me.
-Bill O'Reilly

And by having Bono on the show, O'Reilly is giving the B-man that opportunity to show him.

O'Reilly just said on his radio show that Wednesday Bono will be on the "Factor". When he was giving his lineup for the week, he gave the most emphasis on Bono. He said Bono was by far the most intelligent and well spoken of the celebrities today. He said he is very much looking forward to the interview and discussion and that it is the highlight of probably the greatest week of guests he has had.

o'reilly not "extreme right wing

He's nominally a Republican, though he insists he's an independent. But unless all people who aren't liberal are "extreme right wing", then he's not either.

swizzlestick said:
O'Reilly just said on his radio show that Wednesday Bono will be on the "Factor". When he was giving his lineup for the week, he gave the most emphasis on Bono. He said Bono was by far the most intelligent and well spoken of the celebrities today. He said he is very much looking forward to the interview and discussion and that it is the highlight of probably the greatest week of guests he has had.

:ohmy: Cool. :up:

Bill O'Reilly is only uncivil to people on his show who make asses outta themselves. Bono isn't one of those people. I highly doubt that it'll turn into a shouting match.

I can't wait to see this, although I am a little nervous for some reason. :confused:

I absolutely guarantee that O'Reilly isn't going to tear Bono apart. They won't even get into an arguement. It's going to be a good discussion of the issues. O'Reilly will express his concerns, and Bono will have to explain his position and his beliefs. The end result will be the exposure of Bono and his opinions to an extremely large audience. It will help deter many of those who believe that Bono is simply a celebrity with a big mouth that does things for attention rather than out of sincerity.

Brutal. What the hell's Bono doing at a Republican national convention anyway? :down:

And O'Reilly sucks ass even more than Fox news does as a whole.

Very well said Headache in a Suitcase. It is very tough if not impossible for people to argue with you when you present facts and not just say someone sucks ass. Of course it will be a civil conversation because Bono will be civil in return. Just because two people disagree doesn't mean they have to go at it like cats and dogs and this will be a good demonstration of that.

Zoorock Girl! said:
Brutal. What the hell's Bono doing at a Republican national convention anyway? :down:

And O'Reilly sucks ass even more than Fox news does as a whole.

whatever...
if bono only hangs out with liberals and goes on liberal talk shows, then he is preaching to the choir a bit wouldn't you say?
i think it is awesome that he is going on o'reilly.
totally ballsy move by b-man.
bring it on :)

Sure, but O'Reilly and the Fox network are garbage.

Anyway, good luck to Bono. I just wouldn't take an ounce of shit from anything Fox related if I were him.

Back
Top Bottom