(08-12-2003) Bono and Ali Do Not Buy Historic Estate - Irish Examiner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(08-12-2003) Bono and Ali Do Not Buy Historic Estate - Irish Examiner *

http://www.examiner.ie/

Mystery couple buy historic mansion

Mystery surrounded the identity of the new owner of one of Ireland?s most historic stately homes today. An unnamed Irish couple bought Lissadell House following months of speculation that the Government might step in and strike a deal. Previous owner Sir Josslyn Gore-Booth was keeping quiet about the buyer of the 19th century childhood home of the Countess Markievicz after announcing its sale today on radio.

He said a confidentiality clause prevented him revealing their identity ? but he said that the new owner was not U2 frontman Bono. He said: ?They are an Irish couple. They are interested in living here as their family home and the house will continue to remain open to the public under terms that they will agree in due course.?

He confirmed that Bono had visited the house with members of his family but added: ?I can say that it (the buyer) was not Bono.?

He said the price agreed was higher than the original asking price but ?a great deal less? than the figure mentioned by the Government.

It was reported that a wealthy buyer based in Sligo had agreed to buy the property.

The Co Sligo mansion had a price tag of ?3.75m when it went on the market earlier this summer and there was intense speculation that a Government purchase was on the cards.

Ministers claimed redevelopment could swell the final cost to more than ?30m and said that because of financial pressures they would require a private partner if they were to buy it.

Lissadell House is one of Ireland?s most historically well-connected stately homes. It featured in a poem by W B Yeats and its previous owners were caught up in the fight for independence in the early years of the last century. The Gore-Booths have lived in the house since it was built around 170 years ago.

The house was the childhood home of Constance Gore-Booth, who in later years, as Countess Markiewicz, was closely connected with the leaders of the struggle for independence and became the first woman to be elected to the House of Commons.

She fought during the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin and was condemned to death by the British authorities. Her sentence was later quashed and she was imprisoned instead. After refusing to take her seat as the first woman MP at Westminster, she later sat as a member of the first D?il.

The grey limestone mansion of Lissadell House is set in 400 acres of parkland on the northern shore of Sligo Bay.

I can't find it, but there was another article stating Bono refused this property because its open grounds and having to leave part of it open to the public raised fears for his family. He thought ti would make them an easy target for stalkers and kidnappers. See, this is why they don't like their children to be photographed, as Bono was recently quoted as saying. When people know what they look like it only makes them easier targets for potential kidnappers. That's why Madonna covers her kids' faces in public. As much as I love the family pics on PLEBA maybe we shouldn't post them. If anyone wanted pics of his kids the first thing they'd do is come to a U2 site. The guys are public domain but not their families. A lot of people try to convince themselves and others it's okay because they want to post the pics. I understand that, but Bono having said he'd rather not have them photographed, and being afraid of kidnappers, I think we should respect his wishes and not post pics of the kids unless I heard a definite statement otherwise. Their safety is at stake.

Photographer at Grand Prix: "Where are your kids? Let's get a shot of the family"

Bono : "We don't like our children to be photographed."

The boy in the pics was Guggi's son. The pics of little Eli on Bono's shoulders were stills made from a video, not posed pics. Bono has beautiful family and I love to see the pics, and of course for all of us here the only purpose is to go 'awww how sweet.' But the world is a rotten place, and the kids should be protected.

Last edited:
Leeloo said:
That's why Madonna covers her kids' faces in public.

The boy in the pics was Guggi's son. The pics of little Eli on Bono's shoulders were stills made from a video, not posed pics.

I've seen Madonna's kids in magazines. Without their faces covered. They were either with her or with a nanny.

Yeah and there were also a few pictures of Bono with Eli on his shoulders that were taken by a photograher. There was also a picture of Bono, Ali, Eli and Eve. Also taken by a photographer. They all looked pretty happy to me.

Last edited:
carey02 said:

I've seen Madonna's kids in magazines. Without their faces covered. They were either with her or with a nanny.

Yeah and there were also a few pictures of Bono with Eli on his shoulders that were taken by a photograher. There was also a picture of Bono, Ali, Eli and Eve. Also taken by a photographer. They all looked pretty happy to me.

With the nanny they would be less protected than if with her where she's so followed by paparazzi. She has tried to cover their faces, esp. when they were younger. I've seen pics. But she's not Michael Jackson, they're not going to live in veils.

The pic of Bono with Ali and 2 of the kids was not happy and posed. They were caught accidently walking around. Ali and Eve aren't even looking at the camera. They never even saw it. Bono's comment was a direct quote. It cannot be denied. He DOESN'T want his kids photographed if he can help it. Sometimes you can't help it. He's not going to lock them in cages or put bags (or veils) over their heads but he'd rather they not be exposed to paparazzi. If you'll notice, no posed pic of the whole family has ever been released to the press. If it had, I'm sure we'd have seen it on PLEBA;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom