(07-28-2004) Bono in the USA - Boston Herald

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono in the USA
By Jessica Heslam

In the Hub to honor Sen. Ted Kennedy, U2 front man Bono stopped in the South End yesterday, where he told a packed room of young, star-struck activists that he loves the USA.

``I'm a fan of America. I'm like one of those annoying fans that follows you into the bathroom and screams, `What happened to the last album?' '' the 44-year-old rocker quipped yesterday.

Wearing stylish Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses, Bono was met with thunderous applause several times as he spoke about the AIDS crisis in Africa at City Year Boston.

The Irish-born singer told the mostly young crowd - which included Kennedy family member Maria Shriver and her two brothers - that he was 17 when he joined a rock 'n' roll band.

``I wanted to change the world and I wanted to have fun,'' said Bono, who praised the vision of former President John F. Kennedy.

Bono said his band ``broke out'' in Boston, opening for a group in the Hub before 25 people early in their career. ``I have a very special feeling about this city,'' Bono said. ``I'm really delighted to be welcomed here.''

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=37551

Back
Top Bottom