(06-21-2005) A Word Toward Peace: Coexist -- Chicago Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
A Word Toward Peace: Coexist

BY WENDY DONAHUE

Chicago Tribune

Two college students' plan for world peace usually doesn't get much farther than the campus bar.

But when it's as catchy as a single word, "Coexist" - with the "C" in the shape of a Muslim crescent, the "x" in the form of a Star of David, and the "t" elongated like a cross - it has a way of taking off. In fact, that logo is traveling the country right now on the forehead of U2's frontman.

"We got a call from someone at a concert who said, `Bono is wearing a headband with your logo,'" said Joe Sadler, 25, who conceived the Coexist brand with former Indiana University roommate Chris Tierney, 24. "Since then, it's been pandemonium."

Sadler, who is moving to Los Angeles from Indianapolis, and Tierney, who now lives in New York, already had spent two years developing a business plan with fellow IU alumni Kyle Boyd, 29, who lives in Indianapolis, and Mike Irving, 28, who lives in Chicago. The four partners decided to start with premium T-shirts for women and men.

"What we're trying to do is convey a lifestyle of unity, an acceptance of diversity," Sadler said. "It's a very simple message. It's not a protest."

Going beyond the logo, their Los Angeles-made shirts include the "Thumb-tree," with Sadler's thumbprint over a tree, "combining humanity and nature, that moment of coexistence," he said.

Another, called "Pangea," draws inspiration from the days before continental drift. Each land mass is appliqued in fabric representative of its culture.

Recently, Coexist shipped its first collection to stores that include national trendsetter Fred Segal in Los Angeles, and Hejfina, Della Moda and LiLi in Chicago.

And, after meeting U2's stylist when the tour stopped in Chicago, the Coexist partners are crossing their fingers their work will get even wider airplay. (Bono's bandanna has been hand-scrawled thus far. They heard that he saw the logo spray-painted in a Chicago train station.)

"Our No. 1 idea is to expose this message," Sadler said. "We know how easily they can help us do that."

Women's T's are $54; men's are $58, with the exception of Pangea, which is $80. Check www.coexistonline.com for a full list of stores.

nbcrusader said:
I wonder what Bono paid to get the rights to the Coexist logo?

I don't think he bought the rights to it. I saw a bumper sticker with the logo a few weeks ago and thought - holy crap, he got that from a bumper sticker!!! :lol: They're on cafepress.com, but I'm not sure they're the same as these guys' in the story. They don't look as good as Bono's headband, either. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom