(06-18-2003) Updated (6/24) Solar Poster is False - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
womanfish said:
I agree, Elvis has experience in these matters. I think that there is truth in what we see, but alterations are inevitable. Whether the alterations be in name, date, photo, design, etc... we will find out.

I like the title - who knows, it may just be the working title of a song right now too.

Yes, I also remember Elvis posting on this very site right before the Elevation tour as members of the band to mess around with people. Anyone else remember that FALSE experience???

No date is set people, trust me. They have a tentative plan at the moment only and that plan has been discussed by people in the know. So having these dates is no revelation. The album will most likely be out around the times listed. Production design for the album and stage is in its infancy stages only so I'am about 99.9 % sure this "poster" is a hoax. They only have a working title at the best at this point and I doubdt seriously ANY artwork has been done using that title. Its pretty simple to do this with the right software. Probebly done by someone with to much time on their hands.

Last edited:
There is a difference between a graphic anyone can throw together as a jpg, and a full size poster... don't you think?

I wonder what a jpeg looks like when it's printed out, put in a CD case, and photographed with a digital camera? Hmmmmm...

It must be real! It's the same font as the poster (Verdana)! And it has the same sun on it! And it's called "solar"! Why, I bet the album's all finished, but they're waiting until after the Christmas rush! AHHHHHHHHHH!

Elvis said:
There is a difference between a graphic anyone can throw together as a jpg, and a full size poster... don't you think?
Well to be totally honest, I could get a poster like that made quite easily if I really wanted. But, of course, that would be if I had way too much time/silly ideas on my hands.

Michael Griffiths said:
Well to be totally honest, I could get a poster like that made quite easily if I really wanted. But, of course, that would be if I had way too much time/silly ideas on my hands.

SO it was you. Figures as much.

what makes me a little critical is the font of the Solar poster. It's quite the same as ATYCLB (Verdana?). I don't think they'll use that one twice.

I think the artworks got quite a little bit of a coldplay influence- suspiciously so- cant believe it would look like that in the end- never mind in the beginning-remember it could be called solar plexus and look very different!!

Roland of Gilead said:
By the way, thank God that February is the shortest month. A single in January and the album in March. That is going to be a long wait to me.

Do you know? I am a sucker and I have been sucked in now.

What does this quote mean to you? I do not understand it. >>>"Pull the trigger on a rock n' roll ****** bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker!" -Bono, Bullet the Blue Sky.

Sixtoe - love your album cover! A post somewhere else suggested a circular stage in the center. The could be 4 triangle ramps jutting out from the sides to symbolize the sun's rays. These could be connected to an outer ring ramp (the B Stage). Now you have 4 separate "heart" areas. Instead of a flat regular screen behind the behind how about a huge globe / sun suspended above the band. Video / visuals effects projected on it.

Last edited:
hey you stole my idea :sad:

people can we stop arguing over fonts? "ohhh yeah? well that's not real. if i pull a graphic off the webpage, scroll through every font i have until i find one that matches, put the sucker on a disk and go to kinkos, have them print it out for me, laminate it, dip it in gold, run it through the streets like the olympic torch, put it in a cd case, and photograph it with a digital camera at the exact moment the sun reaches a 76.2 degree angle in the sky... i can make something that looks just like it. especially with my trusty "sample" stamp that i just keep around the house for shits and giggles."

if someone really went through all this trouble, and was so down the detail to their hoax that they even included the "fine print" down in the lower right hand corner... then god bless 'em...

this may not be 100% true, but the lengths that some of you are going to to try and prove that it's false are just silly. hows 'bouts we allllll just wait and see...

Last edited:
Edgette said:

They also said, the band have used other designers in the past. Who's to say they didn't go with a different company this time?

Is there any example of this other than Rattle N Hum? That's the only one I'm aware of, and it may be because of contracts with Paramount or whatever..

Last edited:
I've come up with my own theory and it goes like this:

Universal/Interscope don't have artwork from U2 yet. Someone at Interscope or someone who wants to cash in has heard that Solar could be a working title. Perhaps the song title was leaked or whatever. Said person gets the idea that soon there will be leaked audio as well. Said person wants to create a hype for their illegal Solar Working Tapes cd that they will shortly be selling on eBay by validating the bootleg with what appears to be an official looking promo preview from Interscope. They snag the image from just about anywhere, use the Verdana font and put some officious looking disclaimer info on the bottom (easily lifted from other Interscope material or if they work there even better) and print it out on glossy paper in their own home. Then they take a few closeups of the "poster" and fire them off to the news editors of various U2 fan groups where they know that rabid fans are eagerly awaiting any sort of news (note, they don't send the 'poster', just shots of the 'poster'). A huge buzz ensues and a week or so later someone posts that someone has obtained a sneak preview cd, of course with the same artwork, and is selling it.

Not alot of work, and a lot to be gained once the cds start sellin.

Note that I think that this person, if a U2 fan, is doing us all a huge disservice because I'm willing to bet that even if Solar/this cover were working materials, its pretty safe to say that this has now been unceremoniously yanked off the drawing board of whatever u2/four5one/interscope/whoever are putting together for the new album - thanks alot man! :down: :no:

Honestly, it doesn't matter too much to me, whether or not its fake, I mean of course it matters in the aspect that I want the album now etc, etc. But if nothing else, it's just awesome to have possible release dates, and names...if nothing else, it's fun just thinking about a new album.

gabrielvox said:

Is there any example of this other than Rattle N Hum? That's the only one I'm aware of, and it may be because of contracts with Paramount or whatever..

"Wide Awake In America" I think...

They said they used other designers, but I think they meant to come up with ideas. U2 always seems to go back to Four5One.

Elvis said:

Over a year prior to POPs release... I had pre-promo material.

True but not in the context you are using it in. When you received that material the release date was to be August/September 1996. So you got it about 5 to 6 months prior to when it was "supposed" to be released. I believe it was also for the single Discotheque and not the actual album at that point (I may be wrong on that though). As we all know the album was delayed signifcantly. So thats why you had it over a year prior to the release. It was not released so early intentionally and if the album release date of March 1997 was known at that time I doubdt the promo material would have been sent then.

I would be more apt to believe this was an early design that just leaked if it was for a single and not an album. Also, I agree with others that it saying Interscope and supposedly coming from Dublin makes no sense at all.

I also agree that Solar may have been mentioned as a song at some point they were working on and someone may have just run with that. I dont think you are going to be seeing any working tapes though surfacing on Ebay for the new album though. So I dont think that is the goal. I think you are looking at someone with to much time on their hands or someone from within that knows a little info that is going for some ego stroking.

The only thing that is believable is the approximate release dates. But as I said previously those are no revelation at all. They have been mentioned by many credible sources previously.

Is it feasible that preliminary artwork is being done? Yes. Do I believe this is legitimate. NO Will the album cover look anything like this? NO Is the title correct? Possible, but unlikely at this stage.

Last edited:
Headache, to make my phony album cover, I downloaded an image of the sun from NASA (which is public domain). The font is one of the 12 or so that come preinstalled on every Mac that ships off the line (no need to search through "every font." I knew it was Verdana right away. It's a font no designer with any talent would EVER use). And the whole image was slapped together in Photoshop in about 5 minutes (If I was a graphic designer--which I'm obviously not--it would've taken about 45 seconds.)

My only goal was to prove how easy it would be to fake something like this. I hear people like Elvis asking "well how could they make a full-size poster?" Tell me what makes you think this is full-size? It could be four inches across--there's nothing else in the photo to reference it against. And why did the photographer only take close-ups of the text and fine print--as if they were trying to prove it's veracity? Why not a wide shot of the poster as a whole, taken straight on?

All you need to pull this off is a computer, a printer, and a digital camera. It's not "a lot of trouble" as you suggest. And if folks truly believe that this joke-of-a-mock-up is a design from U2's extremely talented designers, then I feel very sorry for Four5One: Their work is in vain and goes wholly unappreciated.

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
This poster was not meant for public consumption, the record company sent it out to their subidiaries to get the individual promo departments prepped for what's in the pipeline. Getting together the right promotion for an album can and does take months, appearances and junkets and interviews all need to be scheduled and arranged. Plus, the record company would schedule a release as huge as U2's maybe even a year in advance to give them time to push that date up or back in case another similarly huge album was to drop at the same time. For instance, Universal probably wouldn't want the new U2 album to come out at the same time as the new REM album and possibly lose sales and hype.
Additionally any packaging or imaging that goes into an album and accompanying PR campaign has to be created, tested, debated, altered and everything else many, many times before the general public ever gets to see it. From my point of view all this poster is saying is that Universal offices need to get ready for the impending release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom