(03-24-2005) 'We've Been Defying Gravity For A Long Time' - San Diego Union Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
'WE'VE BEEN DEFYING GRAVITY FOR A LONG TIME'

25 years in the game, U2 is still flying high creatively – and aiming even higher for the future
By George Varga
UNION-TRIBUNE POP MUSIC CRITIC

NEW YORK – Too much, too soon?

Or a perfectly timed tribute to a timeless band that often thrives on moving in mysterious ways?

When U2 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 14 – exactly two weeks before this Monday's launch of its "Vertigo/2005" world concert tour at the San Diego Sports Arena – the four members of the Irish rock group reacted with a combination of pride and discomfort.

"We've been defying gravity for a long time, and this is a big occasion and you've just got to be careful you don't upset people," drummer Larry Mullen Jr. said in response to a question in the backstage press room after his band's rousing, post-induction mini-concert that night.

"But if I'm to be absolutely honest, I would really have liked this maybe 10 years down the line," he continued, as bassist Adam Clayton smiled and nodded in agreement. "It's a great institution, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and to quote Karl Marx – oh, no, no, Groucho Marx! – I'm not sure I'm quite ready to accept institutionalization. But it's a great thing and I'm happy to have it. I would have preferred it later on, but, hey."

The desire to still look ahead to the future, not back at its past, is key to U2's unusual longevity. So is the band's belief in the power of a great song to inspire and uplift, be it such classics as "Pride (In the Name of Love)" and "One," or last year's "Vertigo" (from the band's 14th and latest album, "How to Dismantle an Atom Bomb").

That U2 has survived, and thrived, since making its recording debut 26 years ago is all the more amazing in a pop-music world dominated by flavor-of-the-month marionettes whose careers as sonic confectioners usually last no longer than a hit single or two.

This is the reason U2's concert repertoire will likely be divided between its new album and its rich back catalog when the Dublin quartet performs at two sold-out shows here Monday and Wednesday at the Sports Arena. Hit singles, of which U2 has had surprisingly few, have always been secondary.

That is why Bono sounded a note of caution during his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech. "I'd like the music business to look at itself and ask some hard questions," U2's singer told the audience, following his band's 16-minute induction by Bruce Springsteen. "Because there would be no U2 the way things are right now."

Asked later in the evening to elaborate, he replied in a manner both earnest and self-deprecating: "What's great about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is, it's very humbling. And for very arrogant Irish rock stars, that might be important. Because you come (to this induction) and see Bo Diddley, Percy Sledge, the O'Jays, Neil (Young and) Bruce, and that kind of puts you back in your box.

"But the point I was trying to make is, there's very little chance for there to be another U2 the way the music industry is constructed right now. You just have to have a hit single, immediately, and if you don't, you don't get a second chance. And I don't think that's where the great American or European artists come from.

"Bruce Springsteen didn't have a hit single for 10 years! Neil Young, I'm not sure he ever had a hit single – and every Neil Young song sounds like a single to me."

There are other reasons it would be difficult, if not impossible, for another U2 to happen today – let alone flourish for a quarter of a century.

With the shifting of time and musical trends, few acts would even attempt to strive for the epic heights and aural grandeur of U2's best music. Fewer still would seek to emulate the band's combination of rock passion and spiritual fervor in songs that explore heaven and earth – the sacred and the secular – with chiming guitar riffs, walloping drum beats and lyrics that question and celebrate matters of faith and community, often in the same breath.

Or, as Springsteen noted in his U2 induction speech: "How do you find God unless he's in your heart, in your desire, in your feet? I believe this is a big part of what's kept their band together all of these years.

"See, bands get formed by accident, but they don't survive by accident. It takes will, intent, a sense of shared purpose and a tolerance for your friends' fallibilities and they of yours. And that only evens the odds. U2 has not only evened the odds, but they've beaten them."

U2 has, as its members acknowledge, stumbled at times over the years. This has happened mostly when the band has become overly earnest and self-important, letting its bigger-than-life image overwhelm its music and message.

Witness Bono's "McFly" and "Macphisto" stage personas of the early 1990s, which verged on self-parody, or the 40-foot-tall, lemon-shaped silver disco mirror-ball the band emerged from to start each show on its 1997 "PopMart"concert tour. (In true "Spinal Tap" fashion, the "lemon" malfunctioned at least once, leaving U2's members trapped inside and delaying the concert's start until they could be extracted.)

But any rock artist of note makes gaffes and stumbles, and often looks ridiculous in the process. What distinguishes U2 is its ability to recover from such missteps, get back on its feet and move forward to the next triumph or failure.

"Above all else," guitarist Dave "The Edge" Evans said in his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech, "what U2 has tried to avoid over the last 25 years is ...being completely crap. But next on the list down from that was to avoid being typical and predictable and ordinary, because it's so very hard to avoid the cliches – everyone else's, of course, but most of all your own.

"It's so hard to keep things fresh and not to become a parody of yourself. If you've ever seen that movie 'Spinal Tap,' you'll know how easy it is to parody what we all do. The first time I ever saw it, I didn't laugh, I wept. I wept because I recognized so many of those scenes. I don't think I'm alone amongst all of us here in that and, you know, we're all guilty of taking ourselves and our work way too seriously.

"...but the reason we're all here tonight is that, in spite of all the cliches that do exist, you know, rock and roll when it is great, it is amazing. It changes your life. It changed our lives ...I mean, amazing, really magic stuff. You can break it down, you can study it all you want, but you cannot just dial it up. It doesn't work like that."

U2's latest release, "How to Dismantle an Atom Bomb," finds the band at an interesting juncture.

The album, while certainly not phoned in, lacks the irony-drenched lyrics and fearless sense of musical exploration that typified the group's three albums of the 1990s, "Achtung Baby," "Zooropa" and "Pop." Instead, it mirrors "All That You Can't Leave Behind," the straightforward 2000 album that fueled U2's quest to reclaim its "biggest band in the world" status.

Yet, if "Atom Bomb" marks something of an artistic retreat, it also boasts some of U2's most overtly spiritual lyrics ever, in particular on the soul-baring ballad "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" and the prayerful "Yahweh" (which is named after the God of the Old Testament).

"Vertigo," the album's first single, offers an apt summation of U2's musical journey, as Bono sings A feeling is so much stronger than a thought / Your eyes are wide / And though your soul can't be bought / Your mind can wander.

Where U2's collective mind wanders next is anyone's guess. But this is one of the few veteran rock bands to sustain worldwide fame that has resisted selling its soul and still approaches music and life with a wide-eyed sense of wonder. For U2, and for its many fans, anything less just wouldn't do.

To read the remainder of the article, please visit: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20050324-9999-lz1w24u2.html

I think it was a good article, not awesome. The factual statements indicate that this person was a reporter, but not a fan.

Also, he alluded to Bono's "Fly" and "MacPhisto" characters as being examples of missteps. While I agree that the PopMart tour was over the top, that was part of the point. Nonetheless, it could be argued as a slight misstep. But Bono's characters were not - they were perfect for a WILDLY successful tour. In fact, I'd argue that if Bono hadn't created those characters, not only would ZOO TV been a bit less interesting, but the message of both the tour and album wouldn't have come across as well. So again, this is an example of a reporter, but not a fan.

As for his opinion of HTDAAB, I disagree. We've all discussed the many examples of how the 90's albums are both straight-forward rock as well as experimentation - and I see this on HTDAAB as well. Songs like "Love & Peace", "Fast Cars" and even "Yahweh" are experimental, in sound, lyrics and style. I feel "Atomic Bomb" would easily blend in with the 90's - yet with songs like "Miracle Drug" and "Original of the Species" we have an outstanding reminder of U2's 80's brilliance.

Regardless, it's a solid article. :)

This annoys me: "U2 has, as its members acknowledge, stumbled at times over the years. This has happened mostly when the band has become overly earnest and self-important, letting its bigger-than-life image overwhelm its music and message....Witness Bono's "McFly" and "Macphisto" stage personas of the early 1990s..."

This was actually an attempt to alleviate some of that stifling seriousness. I loved it because I got it. Some didn't though I guess.

This one's better...

After going to the actual website for the article, I clicked on this link found just below the last paragraph http://explorefaith.org/music/U2.html

I like this article much better.

U2 Dismantles Bomb with Love
By Christopher Stratton

There's been a lot of talk, maybe too much talk, over the last few years about Bono. He's in the world's most famous rock band. He's exchanging shades with the Pope, having Salman Rushdie over for dinner and writing movies with Wim Wenders that star Mel Gibson. He even shows up at meetings with President Bush to discuss third-world debt, trade and disease problems. So of course it’s not surprising when the old stories about Bono start to bubble to the surface again. Some of them seem like mild hagiographies, things you'd only expect to see come out of Foxe's book of martyrs. Before he's born his mother visits a seer who tells her that she'll have a son whose first name will start with a “P” (Bono's real name is Paul) and that he will go on to do great things. Then there is the story Bono's father liked to tell about young Paul talking to bees in the garden and picking them up on his fingers without getting stung---a regular St. Francis. You may or may not put much stock in these stories personally, but no matter what you think about him, you have to admit, there's something special about this guy and his band.

In November of 2004, U2 released their highly anticipated 12th studio album, How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The hackneyed title apparently wouldn't leave the boys alone in the studio and it just stuck. The band offers no explanation for “the bomb” other than an oft-repeated anecdote about Bono asking Michael W. Smith the question at an AIDS fundraiser, "How do you dismantle an atomic bomb?" To which a baffled Smith just shrugged and Bono answered, "With love." One can only imagine the pseudo-knowing yet perplexed look on Smith's face. "Uh yeah, that's great man. Right on. What are you talking about?"

As it turns out the album is not as enigmatic as the explanation of its title. At first listen one might be inclined to pass Bomb off as another, less cohesive version of 2000’s Grammy-award-winning All That You Can’t Leave Behind. (A handful of the tracks came from the sessions for that album). But the truth is that the songs here have been painstakingly crafted in a way that shows an extra level of care. They come off as relatively simplistic at first listen, but continually reveal greater depth. This is the sign of good art, and Bomb will undoubtedly continue to move the U2 legacy forward. While it may not be their best work to date, it's certainly well-crafted enough to put most of the current pop offerings on the market to shame. Couple this with all the marketing hype from Apple and it's destined to sell millions.

But I don't imagine most people care so much for marketability or soundscan numbers at the end of the day. What’s eminently meaningful about this new album are the lyrics. Bono has come full circle with his writing. He has grown up. There is a spiritual maturity infused here that surpasses any of U2's other work (even if some of the rhymes are poor). The themes are at once inspiring and cleared-eyed. They offer a sober yet hopeful vision of reality, and they have the feel and texture of a man who’s learned from failure, someone who’s willing to make mistakes and who trusts God to be patient with him.

There is no failure here sweetheart
Just when you quit… "Miracle Drug"

Bono noted recently that U2's first album was called Boy and that this one could have aptly been titled Man. The songs on Bomb resonate deeply with a human spirituality that's hard fought, consoling and mature. These are songs written by a man who is coming to grips with losing a father, a father who he's only just now beginning to understand ("Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"). These are songs written by a man who is tempted by the lure of romantic relationships with countless beautiful women but has chosen instead commitment to his wife ("A Man and a Woman"). Most importantly, these are songs steeped in a deep and abiding faith in God; songs written by someone who's not afraid to question, to doubt, to fail and to act.

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart

I don’t know if I can take it
I’m not easy on my knees
Here’s my heart you can break it… "Love and Peace Or Else"

In other words, these are songs written by a real human being. When you listen to songs like "Miracle Drug," "YAHWEH" and "A Man and a Woman" you understand that you're dealing with someone like you who's grown and progressed because God's love is "teaching [him] how to kneel.” ("Vertigo") And that's a pretty great thing for a rock star to come to grips with, and pretty inspiring for those of us listening too.

In an age where we seek instant gratification, the quick buck and sex over romance, it's nice to have someone out front reminding us of our ideals and the difficulties involved in reaching them. For U2 the days of being “insufferable little Jesuses” (Bono’s term for the Joshua Tree period of U2) are over, but the days of being simple men in search of God are just beginning, and it’s refreshing to hear.

Most days saints look an awful lot like flawed human beings; they don't always have to catch bees on their fingers, but sometimes they do, and every once in a while they may just dismantle an Atomic Bomb with love.

Copyright ©2005 Christopher Stratton

Re: This one's better...

beLIEve said:
After going to the actual website for the article, I clicked on this link found just below the last paragraph http://explorefaith.org/music/U2.html

I like this article much better.

U2 Dismantles Bomb with Love
By Christopher Stratton

There's been a lot of talk, maybe too much talk, over the last few years about Bono. He's in the world's most famous rock band. He's exchanging shades with the Pope, having Salman Rushdie over for dinner and writing movies with Wim Wenders that star Mel Gibson. He even shows up at meetings with President Bush to discuss third-world debt, trade and disease problems. So of course it’s not surprising when the old stories about Bono start to bubble to the surface again. Some of them seem like mild hagiographies, things you'd only expect to see come out of Foxe's book of martyrs. Before he's born his mother visits a seer who tells her that she'll have a son whose first name will start with a “P” (Bono's real name is Paul) and that he will go on to do great things. Then there is the story Bono's father liked to tell about young Paul talking to bees in the garden and picking them up on his fingers without getting stung---a regular St. Francis. You may or may not put much stock in these stories personally, but no matter what you think about him, you have to admit, there's something special about this guy and his band.

In November of 2004, U2 released their highly anticipated 12th studio album, How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The hackneyed title apparently wouldn't leave the boys alone in the studio and it just stuck. The band offers no explanation for “the bomb” other than an oft-repeated anecdote about Bono asking Michael W. Smith the question at an AIDS fundraiser, "How do you dismantle an atomic bomb?" To which a baffled Smith just shrugged and Bono answered, "With love." One can only imagine the pseudo-knowing yet perplexed look on Smith's face. "Uh yeah, that's great man. Right on. What are you talking about?"

As it turns out the album is not as enigmatic as the explanation of its title. At first listen one might be inclined to pass Bomb off as another, less cohesive version of 2000’s Grammy-award-winning All That You Can’t Leave Behind. (A handful of the tracks came from the sessions for that album). But the truth is that the songs here have been painstakingly crafted in a way that shows an extra level of care. They come off as relatively simplistic at first listen, but continually reveal greater depth. This is the sign of good art, and Bomb will undoubtedly continue to move the U2 legacy forward. While it may not be their best work to date, it's certainly well-crafted enough to put most of the current pop offerings on the market to shame. Couple this with all the marketing hype from Apple and it's destined to sell millions.

But I don't imagine most people care so much for marketability or soundscan numbers at the end of the day. What’s eminently meaningful about this new album are the lyrics. Bono has come full circle with his writing. He has grown up. There is a spiritual maturity infused here that surpasses any of U2's other work (even if some of the rhymes are poor). The themes are at once inspiring and cleared-eyed. They offer a sober yet hopeful vision of reality, and they have the feel and texture of a man who’s learned from failure, someone who’s willing to make mistakes and who trusts God to be patient with him.

There is no failure here sweetheart
Just when you quit… "Miracle Drug"

Bono noted recently that U2's first album was called Boy and that this one could have aptly been titled Man. The songs on Bomb resonate deeply with a human spirituality that's hard fought, consoling and mature. These are songs written by a man who is coming to grips with losing a father, a father who he's only just now beginning to understand ("Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"). These are songs written by a man who is tempted by the lure of romantic relationships with countless beautiful women but has chosen instead commitment to his wife ("A Man and a Woman"). Most importantly, these are songs steeped in a deep and abiding faith in God; songs written by someone who's not afraid to question, to doubt, to fail and to act.

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart

I don’t know if I can take it
I’m not easy on my knees
Here’s my heart you can break it… "Love and Peace Or Else"

In other words, these are songs written by a real human being. When you listen to songs like "Miracle Drug," "YAHWEH" and "A Man and a Woman" you understand that you're dealing with someone like you who's grown and progressed because God's love is "teaching [him] how to kneel.” ("Vertigo") And that's a pretty great thing for a rock star to come to grips with, and pretty inspiring for those of us listening too.

In an age where we seek instant gratification, the quick buck and sex over romance, it's nice to have someone out front reminding us of our ideals and the difficulties involved in reaching them. For U2 the days of being “insufferable little Jesuses” (Bono’s term for the Joshua Tree period of U2) are over, but the days of being simple men in search of God are just beginning, and it’s refreshing to hear.

Most days saints look an awful lot like flawed human beings; they don't always have to catch bees on their fingers, but sometimes they do, and every once in a while they may just dismantle an Atomic Bomb with love.

Copyright ©2005 Christopher Stratton
:up: I like that. Insufferable little Jesuses... :laugh:

These are all good articles, even though the first one is shot through with mistakes like "McFly". I like them! After all of the hate-filled articles and crud that went down after the screwy first presale, it's a relief to see stuff like this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom