(02-13-2005) U2 Sings Tribute to Bono's Dad - AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Sings Tribute to Bono's Dad

By DAVID BAUDER, Associated Press Writer

U2 may have captured the most attention — and a Grammy Award — for the song "Vertigo," but the band chose to make a very personal statement with its performance on the show Sunday.

They performed "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," dedicating it to lead singer Bono's father, who died in 2001.

Bono described him as a postal clerk who sang opera into the night in a beautiful tenor voice.

"I'd like to think when he passed away he gave that to me," he said. "I wish I got to know him better."

The stately song forced Bono and the Edge to match falsettos in the chorus. It was a rare moment of tenderness and vulnerability in rock 'n' roll, and when Bono sang a lyric about two men who would have liked each other more if they hadn't been so much alike, he spoke for generations of warring fathers and sons.

The easy choice would have been to sing "Vertigo," which won the Grammy for best rock song, just to show people they still stand on top of the rock pack. Instead, they chose a better song, and made a stronger connection with millions of people watching at home.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050214/ap_en_ot/grammys_u2_2

Thanks for reposting this from our posts of it in PLEBA!

I'm ABSOLUTELY THRILLED THAT U2 WON ALL 3 OF THE AWARDS THAT THEY WERE NOMINATED FOR!

They deserved every one - and more.:wink:

HelloAngel said:

The easy choice would have been to sing "Vertigo," which won the Grammy for best rock song, just to show people they still stand on top of the rock pack. Instead, they chose a better song, and made a stronger connection with millions of people watching at home.

That's what U2 does best!

Back
Top Bottom