(02-13-2005) U2 Go Three for Three at Grammys - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050214/i/r2404359451.jpg[/SIMG]
U2 Go Three for Three at Grammys

U2's "Vertigo" won the Grammy for all three categories it was nominated for at the 47th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles tonight -- Best Rock Song, Best Rock Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocal and Best Short Form Music Video.

As announced here at Interference.com, U2 performed a stirring version of "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" with Bono dedicating it to his late father as an intro.

capt.las26502140431.grammys_las265.jpg

(AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

Later in the evening, upon winning Best Rock Performance By a Duo or Group, The Edge dedicated the award to his daughter Sian who has been reportedly ill, and Larry Mullen surprisingly addressed the ticketing fiasco that plagued initial ticket sales for the Vertigo Tour, once again issuing an apology.

r1613588117.jpg

(REUTERS/Gary Hershorn)

Towards the end of the night's broacast, Bono joined an allstar group including Alicia Keys, Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, members of Velvet Revolver and more for a performance of The Beatles' "Across The Universe" for victims of the Indonesian tsunami tragedy.

"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" will be eligible for Album of the Year at the 48th Annual Grammy Awards in 2006.

To view more photos from the Grammy Awards, visit: http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?ei=ISO-8859-1&c=news_photos&p=U2

Last edited:
3 for 3 for Vertigo
+
Great Sometimes performance
+
A classy apology straight to the fans from the most soft spoken person in the buidling, probably

=

The Greatest Rock Band in the World.

Great job, U2.

I am sooooo pleased that they won. I have been watching the show and I didn't see them receive the awards. It was very moving when Bono dedicated the song to his father and at the end he said something along the lines that you can't go back. I just found out and had to write this. The only thing that pissed me off is that they focused on Bono more than the band. Ok , I just saw them take the award and that was great of Larry to say what he said and the truth is out about Edge's daughter Sian. I pray for her and his family and I pray that when U2 hit America, that everyone of us will get a chance to see them. God Bless:wink:

Ok...I don't know about anybody else, but I thought tonight was the best Grammys show I have ever seen. I mean 95% of the music was good, and I thought they did an excellent job with the stage design.

U2 definently was anti-climatic, but in a good way of course. SYCMIOYO really brought the house down several notches, and you could really hear and feel the words. It was very touching, and you could see it touch the audience too.

I also thought their speech will be one that will never be forgotten. It was like they were really talking to us and not at us. After hearing about Edge's daughter's illness no longer a rumor and hearing Larry's apology to us hard core fans, I started crying. They truly touched my heart. I feel really sorry for the guys right now. They are the ones who are stuck in the middle of a whole lot of problems, but I believe they are trying very hard to make everything right again.

May God bless U2 and Edge's family.

And congrats to the boys this evening...y'all did good! :rockon:

Allegra said:
U2 definently was anti-climatic, but in a good way of course. SYCMIOYO really brought the house down several notches, and you could really hear and feel the words. It was very touching, and you could see it touch the audience too.

Agreed (heh, they're playing that song on a DMX channel I'm listening to right now). The audience definitely seemed to like it-those cheers were awfully loud.

Originally posted by Allegra
I also thought their speech will be one that will never be forgotten. It was like they were really talking to us and not at us. After hearing about Edge's daughter's illness no longer a rumor and hearing Larry's apology to us hard core fans, I started crying. They truly touched my heart. I feel really sorry for the guys right now. They are the ones who are stuck in the middle of a whole lot of problems, but I believe they are trying very hard to make everything right again.

May God bless U2 and Edge's family.

Ditto all this-that's cool that Larry addressed this issue (even though I'm still a bit lost at what exactly happened with this ticket fiasco-meh, probably a long story to explain and everything, so I'll just take the apology).

Originally posted by Allegra
And congrats to the boys this evening...y'all did good! :rockon:

:yes: :applaud: :dance: :up:. Way to go, U2, on winning all your Grammys. You deserved each and every one. And the performance wasn't too bad, either :). I'm very happy for U2-that's our boys.

Angela

I choked up in a big way. I liked how when Bono was like does anyone want to say anything Larry and Edge were like "should I say somehting? I dunno. Yeah say something...okay I'll say something."

many blessings for little sian too

I choked up, too. I really feel badly for these guys, they are going through alot of s:censored:t these days what with them feeling horrible about the ticket fiasco and little Sian's leukemia. I was a year younger than her, six, when I almost died of pneumococcal pneumonia. I really don't remember because I was so young, but I know that was a nightmare for my parents. I missed two months of school, and my younger sister by two years learned to read with me because I had to do so much of first grade at home. I am so pleased and proud that they won their Grammies, this will take some of the pain away.

YAY for all of U2!!!! I'm over the moon for them that they won all 3 awards! Hip hooray! I can't wait to watch the highlights on British tv tonight! From the pics i've seen&coverage on the news here, Bono is looking HOT!! Well fit, baby! :drool:

:bono: :edge: :larry: :adam: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Beautiful intro of Sometimes, great performance of the song, Bono hit the high notes perfectly, and wow! what a touching ending....."there's no regrets, dont want you back, goodbye.."

Hermoso!

And Vertigo deserve it. Its such a great song
That adds up to 17 the grammys won by U2. Incredible!

So maybe next year we can get to 20. Imagine it, legendary

Congratulations boys, you are the greatest band to ever hit this planet

Does anyone know if theres a stream of their performance? i didnt have the chance to see the awards :( but i would love to see the performance...

~Versus

HelloAngel said:
Later in the evening, upon winning Best Rock Performance By a Duo or Group, The Edge dedicated the award to his daughter Sian who has been reportedly ill, and Larry Mullen surprisingly addressed the ticketing fiasco that plagued initial ticket sales for the Vertigo Tour, once again issuing an apology.

Poor little Sian. :sad: Prayers and :hug: go out for Sian, Edge, Morleigh and the rest of the family.

It takes a real man to apologize for such a colossal problem, especially on live TV. That takes a lot of humility and decency. Larry is a class act, and I do hope the fans who had problems with the u2.com system will find it in their hearts to forgive them and work with them to right the problem. :up:

SYCMIOYO gets better with each performance. Bono's vocals and lyrics are so heartfelt. It is easily the best song on the album. I wish they'd released it as a single in the US.

i hope they release it NOW
it must get to the top of the charts, it must

Its just brilliant piece of music, and live its just amazing!
and what a way to show it, at the grammys in front of the whole world!!
imagine u2 performing "One" back in the 93 awards?
Well sadly the band didn't show up, and didn't happen

"A house doesn't make a home, dont live me here alone"

Edge daughter really got Cancer oh shit!! Didn't think it was that bad. God!! Hope she pulls through. U know once Edge said living qiute close to a nuclear power station scared the shit out of him, for the health of his kids. They seem to pick up grammys with ease these days. They performed well on there

susanp6 said:
YAY for all of U2!!!! I'm over the moon for them that they won all 3 awards! Hip hooray! I can't wait to watch the highlights on British tv tonight! From the pics i've seen&coverage on the news here, Bono is looking HOT!! Well fit, baby! :drool:

:bono: :edge: :larry: :adam: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Is it on British TV tonight?

Nube Gris said:
That adds up to 17 the grammys won by U2. Incredible!

Yeah, that's quite an impressive number. I wonder how many other artists have that many Grammys, or more than that? Not many, I'm betting.

Originally posted by Nube Gris
So maybe next year we can get to 20. Imagine it, legendary

That'd be freakin' awesome :yes: :up:.

Originally posted by Nube Gris
Congratulations boys, you are the greatest band to ever hit this planet

Hell, yeah. Can't disagree with that statement.

Angela

jpjames said:
Edge daughter really got Cancer oh shit!! Didn't think it was that bad. God!! Hope she pulls through. U know once Edge said living qiute close to a nuclear power station scared the shit out of him, for the health of his kids. They seem to pick up grammys with ease these days. They performed well on there

Who said anything about cancer??

verte76 said:
I choked up, too. I really feel badly for these guys, they are going through alot of s:censored:t these days what with them feeling horrible about the ticket fiasco and little Sian's leukemia. I was a year younger than her, six, when I almost died of pneumococcal pneumonia. I really don't remember because I was so young, but I know that was a nightmare for my parents. I missed two months of school, and my younger sister by two years learned to read with me because I had to do so much of first grade at home. I am so pleased and proud that they won their Grammies, this will take some of the pain away.

:scratch:

Angela,
Im sure there is no other band that has won as many Grammys as U2, not even close.....
As for other artists, im not quite sure, i think Barbra Streisand has won a lot of Grammys, but dont know exactly if she has reached 20

But its really awesome to have won already 10 grammys in just 4 years, its quite amazing, its even more the amount of grammys U2 won in 21 years since 1980-2001!
So this is very impressive, very impressive
To win 17 grammys in your music carreer, wow! i mean wow! Hats off

So Angela, there's a an avalanche wer'e expecting next year, best rock song, best rock performance, best pop song (original of the species), best rock album, song of the year, record of the year, album of the year, best video (sometimes)

just WOW!

Again: The most incredible band to ever storm the universe!

I am so HAPPY for U2 they deserve every thing that they have won.I am so mad at myself i fell asleep before they announced the winners for Rock group or duo so i didn't get to see the acceptance speech(does anyone know where to find it online) but I am so happy they are definitly one if not the BEST rock band ever!

Back
Top Bottom