(02-02-2005) U2 Bono 'Sucks Up To Creeps' - The Mirror*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 BONO 'SUCKS UP TO CREEPS'

By Cameron Robertson

ROCK star Jim Kerr has accused U2 frontman Bono of "shamefully sucking up" to leading politicians.

Simple Minds singer Kerr, 45, hit out after Bono appeared with Tony Blair and former US President Bill Clinton last week to make a plea for African poverty relief.

Kerr labelled the two leaders "creeps" and accused Bono of indulging in a bout of "backslapping".

He said: "How can Bono, having graced concert stages for over two decades, draped in the white flag of peace and screaming 'No More War' at the top of his lungs contemplate praising and back slapping Tony Blair?

"I can't believe that anyone could fail to identify that no matter what gesture Blair may make towards African debt relief, his slippery hands are currently dripping in the fresh warm blood of Iraqi men, women and children.

"As for showing Clinton any respect, did Clinton's government not provide more for military spending than any previous American government?"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...e=u2-bono--sucks-up-to-creeps--name_page.html

Jim Kerr's way of saying "don't you forget about me", I think. It is remarkable the things that will come out of the mouth of an unnoticed, unremarkable, aging, one-time mediocre rock star. When can we expect a response from Soft Cell?

This is surprising considering how close Kerr and Bono were.

Still, Bono has always been pretty pragmatic both in music and politics.

The war has become a demarcation line between idealists and realists that you do not cross. Bono is too realistic for that.

Last edited:
after some of the things i have seen some u2 fans call bono this past week, jim kerr's comments don't seem so bad.
at least people are back to criticizing bono for things we can easily defend!
i always thought jim and bono were friends.
maybe not.
either way, i'm sure bono does not care what jim kerr thinks. i know i don't.

"As for showing Clinton any respect, did Clinton's government not provide more for military spending than any previous American government?"

If anything, Clinton should have probably put more resources than he did. Then perhaps we could have nabbed Bin Laden before could mastermind the plan to hijack (at least) 4 commercial passenger planes and use them as missiles.

The great thing about Bono is that he's able to separate the issues. He'll even talk to slime like Bill O'Reilly if it'll get more help to Africa. Kerr should understand that.

But what in hell does Jim Kerr's success (or recent lack of it) have to do with his right to comment on world affairs?

I'm sure Kerr knows about the close, first-name basis relationship Bono has had with both Clinton and Blair all throughout the 90's. Dating back to well before any scandals or the auspicious debut of Dubya to power.

Shame. He should have done his homework. You can have arguments in private, but you don't go out of your way to sever important friendships dating back well over a decade, friendship that could still prove useful.

And what the heck has Clinton to do with this? He has no power now...if you have to pick on a Clinton, go to the Senator.

Who does not support Bush to say the least.

Well, now, if Bono has been personal buddies with Duyba...which he never was and still doesn't....

Last edited:
I agree that some of these politicians are creeps but if all this would end with actual relief for Africa would Mr. Kerr be opening his mouth...to quote Joy Division "A Means to an End", Jim a means to an end...

It really p.... me off, when someone like Jim Kerr or anyone else for that matter, criticises Bono in that way.

How can he be so ignorant to think that creating a better world can be done without having meetings with Bush, Blair, etc. ?

That´s why it´s called politics for christ sake.

Bono has showed the world, that you CAN make a difference.

He´s chosen to take that honorable responsibility, to talk on behalf of all the poorest people in our world and especially for those in Africa, who don´t have the ability to do that themselves.

I think Bono has a gift in is his ability to communicate with such a wide variety of people and he´s aware of that. To be successful you need to have a certain amount of diplomacy as well.

If Bono were to say : "This guy took a wrong step, I won´t participate in any meetings with him again" - We would get nowhere!

Well that was just my honest opinion and I think we should be thankful for his commitment.

-Peace folks !

Javier DUNLAP

What a stupid, stupid comment. I'm against the war in Iraq, too, but unfortunately Bono simply can't pick and choose which world leaders he talks to and which he doesn't if he's going to get anything accomplished.

I always thought Bono and Jim Kerr were friends. I hope I was wrong, because it would hurt even worse to have a friend say something so unfair about you. :madspit:

Just someone else trying to capitalize on the Bono/U2 name to get back "in" somehow....
Don't know the history of these two: Bono/Kerr. But it doesn't matter.
Expect more of these type of comments from "out of the woodwork" people as the tour progresses.
:eyebrow:

Guys, help me. I'm going to lose it if I hear one more person bash Bono for what he's doing. We need more Bonos in this world. So many people I know that love music think he's nothing more than an image promoter. We know he cares, and he needs to be believed in. What am I to do?

LPU2 said:
But what in hell does Jim Kerr's success (or recent lack of it) have to do with his right to comment on world affairs?

Absolutely nothing, or none of us would be in a position to comment either. But unaccomplished nobodies love to piss on fallen somebodies and pass it off as righteous indignation.

For the record, this story ran in several tabloids, and this is a pretty mutilated version of it. In the longer versions, it's clear that Kerr's comments about Bono were made as part of a more general attack on the suitability of Davos participants as saviors of Africa. While certainly a debatable stance, it's hardly a 'fringe' one, and Kerr is in accord with several Nobel Prize winners when expressing doubts that an ensemble of multimillionaire international businessmen and First World politicos can be trusted to bite the hands of unfair trade that feed them.

This version also omits some far more flattering comments Kerr had to offer about Bono. From the Daily Record's version:

"Then [Kerr] spoke fondly of their friendship over the last 20 years.

He said: 'My feelings for U2 are very partisan and it has been like this since we played together in a field in Belgium a heck of a long time ago [on Amnesty International's 'Prisoners of Conscience' tour].

'Bono was great company and just so fired up about everything. It left me in no doubt that with a fire like that going on inside their lead singer, they would achieve their even then self-declared goal of becoming the biggest band in the world.' "

I also did a Google search on Jim Kerr and discovered that A) Simple Minds are still recording and touring; and B) Kerr remains very active in Amnesty International (which frequently castigates both the US and the UK for human rights violations).

Rock musicians--especially politicized ones--aren't known for their cool heads and prudent tongues, and Bono has frequently taken (and given!) public drubbings before from people he happily made up with later (Sinead, Geldof, Gabriel, etc.). For that matter, his own bandmates--particularly Edge--have openly disagreed with Bono's 'I'd-have-lunch-with-Satan'-for-this-cause stance. (Yes, he really did say that!)

Perhaps Bono will 'forgive' Jim Kerr for this, perhaps not, but either way it won't be because he gives a flyin' feck about what a bunch of nobodies who merely buy his records have to say about the issue.

SM has in fact put more albums out since the 90s than U2.
Nevertheless its nice to see that people here think in such 2 Dimensional Terms, where friends can't have disagreements.
Simple Minds have put out some terrific records. Their rhythm section is ten times better than U2's as well.
Nevertheless here is the full text of what Jim actually said.

I truly am finding it difficult to keep a grip on reality these days and for example here are only a few of the things I found incredulous last week.

Firstly, I do find it difficult to believe that after a decade of professional u-turns, personal cock ups, false starts and dead ends - albeit including some glorious moments usually experienced during live performances - finally things really do seem to be going exactly as we would want. Workwise it really is all good in fact, with our Taormina phase now complete (Holland next!) we really are soaring ahead with the songs and recordings for the new album and therefore expect to announce much more solid details imminently.

Secondly, as excited as I may be about a new Glasgow band called El Presidente I do find it hard to believe that so many artistes including these “Glaswegian comrades” of mine are all too willing to fall blindly in love with every aspect of the Cuban president Fidel Castro and his ideologies (El Presidente were inspired by the legend of the cigar smoking Cuban revolutionary) And yes, before you say anything like well why not? I know, I know, I know, that Castro faced up admirably and amazingly to the supposed big bad face of American imperialism. And yes, due to Castro and the revolution, the schools and hospitals of Cuba are something to be proud of. But excuse me…anyone noticed this demagogues human rights records recently. Not good! Terrifying even especially if you happen to be a free thinking writer unafraid to take the odd political pot shot. In that case you should expect to be arrested and jailed for twenty years without trial as was the case recently with the jailing of seventy journalists. See Amnesty International for more horrifying details. El Presidente or should it be in this case more like El Ignorante. Great music but as for the rest of their thinking…oh you can decide!

How can Bono having graced concert stages for over two decades, draped in the white flag of peace and screaming “No More War” at the top of his lungs, contemplate praising and back slapping current UK prime minister cum warmonger Tony Blair, as he did last week. Maybe it is just me, and forgive me all U2 fans if it is so, but I cannot believe that anyone, least the little Irish genius, cannot identify that no matter what gesture Mr Blair may make towards African debt relief, his slippery hands are currently dripping in the fresh warm blood of Iraqi men, women and children and no one will convince me and millions like me that this murder of countless innocents is in any way forgivable. As for showing Bill Clinton any respect. Did Clinton’s government not provide more for military spending than any previous. That’s right, more money than any amount imaginable to you or I, for the manufacturing of guns, bombs and all kinds of missiles that will almost certainly kill and maim indiscriminately. So indeed how to dismantle an atomic bomb or any bomb for that matter? Well mate, I am fucked if I know! But who is kidding who here! I would suggest to anyone really curious about bombs that they begin by asking Bill and Tony direct because they and their respective governments sure knew how to make, sell and use them shamelessly. Not much cop at finding them as imagined hidden however, least in Tony’s case, but great at using that failure as an excuse to bomb the crap out of Iraq and probably Iran next. Really what more can I say except shame on those creeps and anyone who sucks up to them for whatever reasons! What after all is the point in launching crusades to save lives in one part of the globe, while lauding those who make and deploy those very tools that cause utter human oblivion elsewhere and whenever it suits them.

Finally in the week that Holocaust survivors and many of the world leaders take part in a ceremony commemorating the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, here in Italy, a country that I love and almost live, a leading newspaper poll found that 12% of Italians doubted that the Holocaust even happened! I am lost for words regarding that as a fact. How can this be etc, or where does anyone begin to put this right. Well never entirely trusting newspaper polls, I started with my own kin and therefore during Saturdays tube ride to watch a dull Arsenal team play pitiful Wolverhampton Wanderers in north London, I asked my twelve year old if he had seen any of the Auschwitz/Holocaust memorial on television. “What is the Holocaust?”, he replied. Only one response to that really and as a result we will make a future visit to Poland where he will discover at first hand the true story of genocide as something he will surely never forget and as something I could never forget. Check “A Life Shot In Black and White” a song from our up and coming album for more personal thoughts on this subject and why of course for the sake of humanity it must never be forgotten.

Last edited:
Skwege, forgive me if you stated this, or if it was pointed out elsewhere, but from whence did these comments from Jim Kerr originate?

biff said:
Skwege, forgive me if you stated this, or if it was pointed out elsewhere, but from whence did these comments from Jim Kerr originate?

Jim keeps an online journal on the official SM website. www.simpleminds.com

Its really interesting. Especially some of his Bono anecdotes. One humorous example was during the early 80s when he was in the backseat of a car with Bono and Ali after a performance. Both he and Bono were just covered in dirt and sweat, and Ali was sandwiched in between them. He said he felt bad about how Ali had to put up with their "Man Stench"

I'm a huge fan of both bands, and I don't think Jim's comments were sour grapes. Hell, just a few weeks ago he commented how much he loves The Edge and Bono, and that he just isn't capable of fairly critiquing their new album.
Nevertheless obviously he has a current disagreement with Bono over something, big whup! Friends don't always agree with one another.
I can see perfectly valid points on each side of the argument.

Last edited:
Anyhow The Mirror totally changed the context of what Jim had to say. Unfortunately it seems alot of other publications have picked up on it also.

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes friends don't agree and I think it's great when friends can do that and still maintain their relationship. Anyway, I like Simple Minds too. "Don't You (Forget About Me)" was my senior class song - showin my age here. I'm glad Bono's doing what he is because someone has to focus attention on the situation in Africa. I mean look at that movie "Hotel Rwanda"(sp?) How many people knew about what happened there before the movie came out? Well you know sometimes you can't make it on your own :wink: . Grassroots efforts help alot, but you also have to talk to the people in power to get things done whether you like it not, and I bet he doesn't always like it. If you don't like the people in power then exercise your vote and try to get them out of there. And remember, even Jesus would talk to the Pharisees if it meant getting the Word out.

Ha! funny how people who read this quote from Jim Kerr sourced by "the Mirror" all jumped on his back.
It's a cheap and nastly tabloid.

I would find out the full story and the context before getting so annoyed. And from what Skwege just posted it looks like Jim is passionate about his worthy causes also.

Simple minds are a great band people shouldn't be too hard on him. Lets be honest Bono does do some sucking up in general. Not talking bout politics now

I always joked with my friends that if Bono is too busy saving the world to record a new album, the other three should just recruit Jim. Jim and Bono have an extremely similar vocal style, at one point in the 80s it was excessively difficult to tell them apart. I recommend picking up the Simple Minds boxset which has Bono doing guest vocals on a live rendition of New Gold Dream. Only the most diehard fans can tell the difference.

Thats what would be funny if U2 recorded an album with Jim. Most of the casual music listeners probably wouldnt notice a change.

thanks for the insight guys.
tabloids do like to stir it up.
as we all know, even if Jim says these things right to bono's face, that would not stop them being friends.
i do not know too much about simple minds (aside from the bigger 80s hits), but i will check them out.
i am sorry to say my initial reaction to the article was "F Off" Jim Kerr--but i now realize that was just the larry mullen in me speaking.....

caragriff said:

i am sorry to say my initial reaction to the article was "F Off" Jim Kerr--but i now realize that was just the larry mullen in me speaking.....

Same here. Broke my own rule of getting the facts and reading the real article or source. and of just 'considering the source' actually. :eyebrow:

caragriff said:
as we all know, even if Jim says these things right to bono's face, that would not stop them being friends.
i do not know too much about simple minds (aside from the bigger 80s hits), but i will check them out.

I would very much recommend checking out the albums "Sons & Fascination/Sister Feeling Call" "New Gold Dream" and "Sparkle In The Rain."
The early material up through 1982's "New Gold Dream" was really more artsy, with alot of lush soundscaps. Mick MacNeil is a brilliant composer.
"Sparkle In The Rain" was their first really "loud" album that really rocked out. To further the U2 connection, Steve Lillywhite produced that record.
"Live In The City of Light" is also one of the all time best live albums. Absolutely phenomenal. One thing that was always great about this band was how they would drastically rearrange older songs to fit in with the new songs that the tour was supporting at the time. Gave it this form of cohesiveness. I really wish more bands would do that.
Anyhow if you're a U2 fan you'll love Simple Minds. The fanbases tend to overlap.

I guess I got a little carried away too... - SORRY !

My comment wasn´t specifically based on the story with Jim Kerr, but more as a general opionion, based on previous discussions with other people.

And yes, - I do think : a) Don´t take everything you hear for granted b) Get to know the full coverage of a story c) newspapers can be very unfair at times!

- Gotta go and make some bagles - my girlfriend´s hungry!

see ya!

/Sherlock Shaw Kierkegaard =)

Back
Top Bottom