(01-20-2005) Artists to Perform on GRAMMY Awards Announced -- Recording Academy*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Artists to Perform on 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards Telecast Announced

GREEN DAY, ALICIA KEYS, TIM MCGRAW AND U2 TO PERFORM ON
47TH ANNUAL GRAMMY® AWARDS

ELLEN DEGENERES, CHRISTINA MILIAN AND JOHN TRAVOLTA
TO APPEAR AS PRESENTERS

Superstar Artists are the First Announced Performers and Presenters for Music's Biggest Night(tm) to be Hosted by Queen Latifah and Broadcast on the CBS Television Network Feb. 13

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (Jan. 20, 2005) - Green Day, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw, and U2 are the first performers announced for the 47th Annual GRAMMY® Awards telecast, it was announced today by The Recording Academy®. Ellen DeGeneres, Christina Milian, and John Travolta will appear as presenters. The music industry's premier event will be hosted by Queen Latifah and will take place on Feb. 13 at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles and will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 Surround Sound on the CBS Television Network at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). The show also will be supported on radio via Westwood One worldwide, and covered online at GRAMMY.com.

GRAMMY-winning punk rock trio Green Day is up for six GRAMMY Awards: Album Of The Year and Best Rock Album for American Idiot, and Record Of The Year, Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal, Best Rock Song, and Best Short Form Music Video for the title track.

Five-time GRAMMY winner Alicia Keys currently holds eight nominations: Album Of The Year and Best R&B Album (The Diary Of Alicia Keys); Song Of The Year and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance ("If I Ain't Got You"); two nominations in the Best R&B Song category ("My Boo," and "You Don't Know My Name"); and two nominations in the Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals category ("Diary" featuring Tony! Toni! Toné! and "My Boo," with Usher).

GRAMMY-winning country superstar Tim McGraw is nominated for two awards: Best Country Album (Live Like You Were Dying), and Best Male Country Vocal Performance for the album's title track.

Thirteen-time GRAMMY Award winner U2 is currently nominated for three GRAMMYs: Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal, Best Rock Song, and Best Short Form Music Video for "Vertigo."

Host of the daytime Emmy-winning talk show "Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and current GRAMMY nominee (Best Comedy Album) Ellen DeGeneres will appear as a presenter, along with recording artist/actress and current GRAMMY nominee (Best Contemporary R&B Album and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration) Christina Milian, and Oscar-nominated actor John Travolta.

The 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards are produced by Cossette Productions for The Recording Academy. Ken Ehrlich and John Cossette are executive producers, Walter C. Miller is producer/director, Tisha Fein is the coordinating producer, Tzvi Small is executive in charge of production, and Anthea Bhargava is associate producer.

Established in 1957, the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, Inc., also known as The Recording Academy, is an organization of musicians, producers, engineers and recording professionals that is dedicated to improving the cultural condition and quality of life for music and its makers. Internationally known for the GRAMMY Awards, The Recording Academy is responsible for groundbreaking professional development, cultural enrichment, advocacy, education and human services programs - including the creation of the national public education campaign What's The Download® (www.WhatsTheDownload.com). For more information about the Academy, please visit www.grammy.com.

--Recording Academy

So, do the performers HAVE to do the song that's nominated?

I know, we ask this question every time U2's nominated. I believe for the BD nomination they performed BD. I'd rather they did MD this time around...a great, uplifting song that will rock Staples Arena. Everyone's going to be sick of Vertigo by Feb. 13.

Judah said:
So, do the performers HAVE to do the song that's nominated?

I know, we ask this question every time U2's nominated. I believe for the BD nomination they performed BD. I'd rather they did MD this time around...a great, uplifting song that will rock Staples Arena. Everyone's going to be sick of Vertigo by Feb. 13.

The artist's perform their nominated songs, usually before the award is given out for whatever category they're nominated in.

Another smack in the face for the English fans, cant be bothered to perform 45 minutes from Dublin at The Brits but can go all the way over the Atlantic!!

Thanks U2!!

Bono's Tart said:
Another smack in the face for the English fans, cant be bothered to perform 45 minutes from Dublin at The Brits but can go all the way over the Atlantic!!

Thanks U2!!

and i'm sure they're doing it just because they hate England.:rolleyes:

ok, windmilllane,
where you getting that info from. All artists that are nominated perform their song. Doesn't mean they automatically win a grammy. However, I think U2's chances are real good. :wink:

sorry bout that bono's tart. :sad: But if rumors are true about them opening on the west coast. This appearance would explain that since in feb. they will probably be rehearsing in L.A. somewhere.

Bono's Tart said:

Thanks U2!!

Dont U2 hate The Brit awards? I'm sure I have read rumblings in the past that they get pissed off with The Brits because U2 are not British, they are Irish.

The Brits are awards acknowledging British artists with the voting restricted to people in Britain.

The Grammys are awards acknowledging international artists with the voting restricted to people in the USA.

I think :slant:

I think the Grammy's just don't differentiate where the artist is from necesarily but whether or not the song/album was released in the U.S.

The aspect of this that's surprising is that U2 are nominated in categories that are usually not televised. That is, their categories are amongst the jillions of awards that are not presented on stage, but are announced in a scroll. So I am very surprised that U2 are performing. It's always only the songs nominated for major awards that are shown on TV. It's puzzling.:confused:

Bono's Tart said:

Thanks U2!!

It's not like several people here will have the mpeg for all to download.

biff said:
The aspect of this that's surprising is that U2 are nominated in categories that are usually not televised. That is, their categories are amongst the jillions of awards that are not presented on stage, but are announced in a scroll. So I am very surprised that U2 are performing. It's always only the songs nominated for major awards that are shown on TV. It's puzzling.:confused:

The Grammys do often switch around what is and isn't televised. The hip-hop awards didn't used to be televised but now are so if U2, Green Day and other big names are in these typically not televised rock categories, that will probably change. Plus, U2 is so huge I'm sure CBS would have had a massive cow if the band hadn't performed because U2 can bring in some pretty high numbers for the telecast.

Back
Top Bottom