***SPOILERS*** U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour - Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up:

OR A SORT OF FUCKING HOMECOMING since they know how to play it.

to the contrary - on JT30 they proved they do not in fact know how to play it. Thus it was dropped.

Gret song, terrible version. Go back to the one on Wide Awake. (Oh I guess they did know how to play it at some point. they must have forgotten)

This tour, if I had a clear enough mind to be realistic in the moment, I'd ask after The Fly, since it was rehearsed, or if Drowning Man is ever going to get a guernsey, given Bono started snippeting it again last year. OR A SORT OF FUCKING HOMECOMING since they know how to play it.

I'd mention The Fly as well. I would tell them that there was a child murderer in Philadelphia who went by that name and so they should never play that song there again for fear of triggering any of the city's residents.

that's a great response. is this what happens to someoone who dedicates his life to counting Bono's on stage farts and snippets?

I've dedicated my life to far worse things than that, come at me.

I'd mention The Fly as well. I would tell them that there was a child murderer in Philadelphia who went by that name and so they should never play that song there again for fear of triggering any of the city's residents.

That would be... magnificent.

If I had a clear mind and a request is what I was asking for, I think I would go for Discotheque.

I just never liked the song and it’s my least favorite on Achtung. I don’t think it’s a bad song, I just don’t care for it (similar to Bullet the Blue).

I'm more or less the same. I don't hate it, but I never exactly understood why it was the Holy Grail of unplayed songs live, aside from it coming off one of their most popular albums (if not THE most).

I'm sure I'll enjoy it enough live this weekend, but it's not a be all end all for me. We all have our preferences though!

:up:

If I got past the "you guys are awesome, thanks for all the good times" bit of blather, which is questionable, I'd ask after Womanfish to make them laugh or 11 O'clock Tick Tock for long-shot purposes.

This tour, if I had a clear enough mind to be realistic in the moment, I'd ask after The Fly, since it was rehearsed, or if Drowning Man is ever going to get a guernsey, given Bono started snippeting it again last year. OR A SORT OF FUCKING HOMECOMING since they know how to play it.

yeah, whatever you do, don't say "hi i'm Axver" :D

American Soul, while kind of meh on the album, sounds like it’s got some bite live. I’m actually looking forward to hearing it.

To think you'd waste the opportunity for a request on The Showman, too.

Right? Going into the LA shows I was light on spoilers, knew they were playing Acrobat and not playing anything from The Joshua Tree, but nothing else. So right before Acrobat, Bono is doing his MacPhisto speech and talks about being a Showman. I joked with my friend it was time for a bathroom break as we both really don't like that song. Then instead they start Acrobat and IT WAS AMAZING. Loved the unintentional fake out.

And yeah, Sil, why the fuck request that crap song instead of Discotheque, Gone or Mofo.

American Soul, while kind of meh on the album, sounds like it’s got some bite live. I’m actually looking forward to hearing it.

I fully admit to loving U2's big dumb rock songs, so yeah I LOVE American Soul live and was entirely too excited to hear All Because of You.

Honest question what does anyone like about American Soul? The bullhorn is so over the top ridiculously bad how can anyone say it’s a good live? The SNL performance was the most embarrassing U2 moment I’ve ever seen.

I like the stomping beat and the guitar sound. And it's catchy. It was a lot of fun live. The bullhorn doesn't really bother me.

Has there ever been a song with such a huge chasm between quality on album and quality live?

I'm not seeing how there can be such a big chasm when the thing that sinks American Soul is the lyrics, and Bono isn't singing new lines.

Plus, the fucking megaphone.

So if you ask me it's worse. Sure the instrumental aspects stomp, but that's true of the studio version as well. Now we have cringey lyrics through a megaphone. Spare me.

(At least using the megaphone for American Soul makes a slight bit more sense than for Pride, though.)

Tulsa didn't cheer loud enough. Fuck you, Tulsa.

(No joke, it's thanks to Monterrey that The Electric Co. and Bad were dropped in 2006.)

Back
Top Bottom