Soe tour scepticism? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Soe tour scepticism?

Ok so this tour. I'm really not sure. Huge fan since '83. But now? HUGE ticket prices which appall me. I do not want to hear all the predictable hits again. Not interested to hear sbs,pride, still havnt found, 1, bday, elevation, wowy, m ways, blah blah blah let's have a different, unpredictable setlist. Appreciate the sings will fit around the cinematic aspect, but let's make it interesting / challenging, for band & audience. And let's have some anger back in there, let the demons back on the stage. So many sings could be tried. The refugee- how fitting is that for now? 11 o clock tick tock? Mofo? A full on disco thumping discotheque? Crumbs from your table as 4th or 5th song? I Hope cedarwood rd & iris, and a full proper version of the troubles with extended edge solo, book of your heart would be nice. Slug (always sounded like a dream sequence to me)!, please, Gloria, dirty day, exit would be a must for me. Stories for boys would be amazing to replace I will follow.. If streets is a must then I would end with running to stand (zoo tv tour style)/(then bathe the arena in red smoke for an extended intro into streets/40. If they must do pride then throw it away early, without a big intro, 2 choruses then let the crowd take over and sing it until they tire! Soe songs guess at least 6 or 7, could be some really interesting arrangements. So basically they need to really kick ass this tour to silence all critics, including myself. Not be lazy fat rock stars. Different sets with multiple songs challenging for a slot, definatly a different set for each night at multiple dates, at least 5-6 differences. How many songs? I would hope for 27-28. If Neil diamond could do it at 77 or whatever then they really have no excuse. Theyve had our hard earned cash so let's see a result for it. And please less politics/speeches/opinions. Paid to see u2, not the bono show. Ok now you can slag me off!!! Interested to hear comments.

Pop2thezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Dont’t go see the tour then.

Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Babyface

Hey great thoughtful reply, thank you for that.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
War Child

Well could barely read 1/3 of that Wall of text anyway.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 10:05 PM
To be fair I agree with most of your post , but their set list is so corporate theatre like that they will never shake it up, I still go as the shows are still worth it but I also go with hope that they may play some of those buried gems you mentioned
hennesd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Babyface

I'm the same, I feel I have to go, because i don't want to miss out, but I'd like to get back to really wanting to go! Wish they'd please the true fans rather than the casuals.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop2thezoo View Post
Ok so this tour. I'm really not sure.
Quote:
I feel I have to go, because i don't want to miss out.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:05 PM
These posts are a dime a dozen on any band's message board, really.

Easy fix though... if you don't like it, don't see it. I'm sure Prince and Soundgarden fans are laughing at us anyway for picking on the little things, which to be fair, we all do most of the time.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Easy fix though... if you don't like it, don't see it. I'm sure Prince and Soundgarden fans are laughing at us anyway for picking on the little things
They do tend to give us away.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
War Child

Also most bands tend to have a fixed set list that is focused on the new album. And don’t rotate anything at all. Even Foo Fighters have quite a static set list now compared to earlier tours of theirs.

As being also a Bruce Springsteen fan I am spoiled with marathon gigs with filled with spontaneity. But most aren’t like that.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:05 PM
U2 has been the "Bono Show" since Day One.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Babyface

I'd be very happy with just songs from Soi+soe. I could not go see them obviously. But as this is a discussion thing I just wandered how others felt. Went to 8 elevation shows in a row and they were all brilliant, and been to 20 other shows. Got tickets for the 2 London shows. Will see how the tour go's and decide whether to go or not. But surely £208 for 1 average seat face value is obscene, or maybe just me. Come back Mr mcguiness??
Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don’t think many people disagree on the pricing issue. It can be a pain for some and that’s partially why I’ve always gravitated for the GA option when it’s available. Since I don’t mind standing, timing arrivals for decent spots and a bit of patience in trying to secure such a ticket (particularly for arena shows), I can’t really argue for paying less than $100 each time. Some similar-sized acts charge a bit more for that in GA sections as well.

Granted, not everyone can do that option each time. So there’s trade-off either way… and some bands are charging a bit more than U2 does for their seats as well. In the end, I just accept it for what it is and do what’s best for me in the end (personally and financially).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinski View Post
Also most bands tend to have a fixed set list that is focused on the new album. And don’t rotate anything at all. Even Foo Fighters have quite a static set list now compared to earlier tours of theirs.

As being also a Bruce Springsteen fan I am spoiled with marathon gigs with filled with spontaneity. But most aren’t like that.
I’d argue almost all shows aren’t like that even. In terms of newer stuff, I was on a Killers message board recently and there was a topic about how the US was “only” getting 5 new songs at each tour, compared to the extra 1 or 2 that their UK and Ireland gigs got. Or something along those lines anyway. I tried reminding a few people that some acts only play 2 or 3 new songs, if that. So I guess it just depends on where you're coming from and what you'd personally expect.

I caught the Foos a few times last year and there was a few songs that differed each night, although Dave Grohl having a cold might've contributed to that a bit. Still got at least 4-5 new songs each night though.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ok so this tour. I'm really not sure. Huge fan since '83. But now? HUGE ticket prices which appall me. I do not want to hear all the predictable hits again. Not interested to hear sbs,pride, still havnt found, 1, bday, elevation, wowy, m ways, blah blah blah let's have a different, unpredictable setlist. Appreciate the sings will fit around the cinematic aspect, but let's make it interesting / challenging, for band & audience. And let's have some anger back in there, let the demons back on the stage. So many sings could be tried. The refugee- how fitting is that for now? 11 o clock tick tock? Mofo? A full on disco thumping discotheque? Crumbs from your table as 4th or 5th song? I Hope cedarwood rd & iris, and a full proper version of the troubles with extended edge solo, book of your heart would be nice. Slug (always sounded like a dream sequence to me)!, please, Gloria, dirty day, exit would be a must for me. Stories for boys would be amazing to replace I will follow.. If streets is a must then I would end with running to stand (zoo tv tour style)/(then bathe the arena in red smoke for an extended intro into streets/40. If they must do pride then throw it away early, without a big intro, 2 choruses then let the crowd take over and sing it until they tire! Soe songs guess at least 6 or 7, could be some really interesting arrangements. So basically they need to really kick ass this tour to silence all critics, including myself. Not be lazy fat rock stars. Different sets with multiple songs challenging for a slot, definatly a different set for each night at multiple dates, at least 5-6 differences. How many songs? I would hope for 27-28. If Neil diamond could do it at 77 or whatever then they really have no excuse. Theyve had our hard earned cash so let's see a result for it. And please less politics/speeches/opinions. Paid to see u2, not the bono show. Ok now you can slag me off!!! Interested to hear comments.

What a great new challenging thought. This doesn’t get brought up every tour.

But points for using Neil Diamond as a benchmark.

I find this ‘I’ve been a fan since...’ but I’m just now realizing U2 is a political band that has never had a varied setlist thing very interesting.
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #15
Acrobat

I agree with your ticket price issue, I think £206 for at ticket is scandalous and obviously so do most fans as I see tickets in that price bracket are still available at Manchester.
Bands changing set lists every show can't work when the songs usually have a specific video to go with them, so they can only have a certain number of songs for each tour with a few changes here and there.
Also a lot of the fans going want a greatest hits show( not me personally though)

the edges plec is offline   Reply With Quote