eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the video's that have been shot of Bono in the MacPhisto mode, they have a gash under the right eye of Bono/Macphisto, I wonder if that's the recollection of Bono's busted orbital bone from the bike accident. I wondered if anyone picked up on that?
Interesting.

I also considered that perhaps it has something to do with Bono's near death experience... the one he won't discuss as opposed to the one he will.

Or a combo "dude's been battered and bruised" comment about all the various things over the past handful of years.

I'd love if if they'd mix up the innocence songs, though I guess others wouldn't make sense for one reason or another (no graphics really for the b-stage-played songs--though they could MAKE some, and they already have an inside-the-screen song so Invisible is out...). Those are easy cop-outs though! They can figure out a different stage presentation of a song.

The UTEOTW graphics are great, don't blame them for reusing.

I was excited about the possibility of developing a similar thematic set off of this album, but they passed out and are just rehashing i/e with the new songs mixed in in a semi-thematic way, and are using this as an excuse not to mix things up.

If you ask the superfans on Twitter, the whole show is the tightest narrative U2 have ever created bla bla bla.

For the avoidance of doubt, U2 are officially back in Broadway show mode.

I think back to the rumors of extended sets and rarities and must chuckle at the naivety.

I know my opinions are bad, but I can't help myself.

For the avoidance of doubt, U2 are officially back in Broadway show mode.

I think back to the rumors of extended sets and rarities and must chuckle at the naivety.

I know my opinions are bad, but I can't help myself.

Nail on head

we know we cant expect a different set night in/ night out and there is never gonna be lets go with the flow type moment , but this tour smacks of smugness and downright lazyness , hide behind the AR all you like but going to a U2 show USE to be an experience sad to say its no longer that which is rather ironic giving the title of LP and tour

If you ask the superfans on Twitter, the whole show is the tightest narrative U2 have ever created bla bla bla.
I mean... i still haven't seen it and it may be a hell of a show, but trying to figure out what this tight narrative is...

U2: A Musical in 10 Parts

1. Bono almost died
2. But he didn't! It's a beautiful day!
3. Bono's mom died
4. Bono's childhood was hard
5. EL-E-VA-TION!!!
6. America is bad
7. America can be good again
8. AIDS is bad
9. Love is good
10. Did I mention Bono almost died?
Fiñ

I mean... i still haven't seen it and it may be a hell of a show, but trying to figure out what this tight narrative is...

1. Bono almost died
3. Bono's mom died
5. EL-E-VA-TION!!
5.5. Bono was cool and ironic in the early 90s! :mac:
6. America is bad
8. AIDS is bad
9. Love is good
Fiñ

Fixed.

1. Bono almost died
3. Bono's mom died
5. EL-E-VA-TION!!!
6. America is bad
8. AIDS is bad
9. Love is good
Fiñ

I literally laughed out loud at this post. Thank you.

The narrative is pretty weak and the set list is ok. Still an enjoyable show just could have been so much better.

In the Adam interview in RS I was dumbfounded that he compared Best Thing to Wowoy. How he could say with a straight face that they are somehow comparable and they don’t need to to play with or without you because they have the best thing. I like that they want people to see the new songs and they want to play them, but they are delusional on how good they actually are.

I would bet 95%+ of the audience would rather hear wowoy than the awful version of best thing they are playing.

I always want full band versions of the acoustic stuff. I like and appreciate hearing the acoustic, it's just...not the same. And WoWY is in another league than Best Thing.

The narrative is pretty weak and the set list is ok. Still an enjoyable show just could have been so much better.

In the Adam interview in RS I was dumbfounded that he compared Best Thing to Wowoy. How he could say with a straight face that they are somehow comparable and they don’t need to to play with or without you because they have the best thing. I like that they want people to see the new songs and they want to play them, but they are delusional on how good they actually are.

I would bet 95%+ of the audience would rather hear wowoy than the awful version of best thing they are playing.

I think he met the meaning of it during the show. The Best Thing fills that slot for the 'Love/Romantic Song' of the night.

The thing that got me about the interview was the band seemed really tired of playing the JT....which I think is a good thing.

Yeah, I didn't read that and think, "yeah, Adam thinks Best Thing is as good as an all-time classic song," but rather "Best Thing fills the content slot that With or Without You does."

They should play Best Thing full band, though.

Yeah, I didn't read that and think, "yeah, Adam thinks Best Thing is as good as an all-time classic song," but rather "Best Thing fills the content slot that With or Without You does."

They should play Best Thing full band, though.

i agree he's not saying it's all time classic, but how anyone can think it fills that content slot that wowy does without being a massive downgrade in every conceivable way is beyond me. To say we don't need to play it because this song does the same thing is ludicrous. If it was All I Want is You than that comment makes sense.

I know this board gets tired of wowoy, yet the crescendo is always a massively well -received moment every time its played and has now been replaced by a terrible song that sucks really bad live.

1. Bono almost died
3. Bono's mom died
5. EL-E-VA-TION!!!
6. America is bad
8. AIDS is bad
9. Love is good
Fiñ

Ha ha haaaaaaaa, nice.

Only 95%? I'm thinking 99.9.

I haven't been a big fan of live WOWY and Bono's laziness in the verses for a while now, but it's still better than that abortion, which is a questionable to begin with.

Isn't it odd that Crazy Tonight and Best Thing are two of the most shameless pop tracks they've ever recorded, and they didn't even perform them the same way once the tours started? I guess you could throw EBW in there was well.

Last edited:

1. Bono almost died
3. Bono's mom died
5. EL-E-VA-TION!!!
6. America is bad
8. AIDS is bad
9. Love is good
Fiñ

I still think there’s room for a drugs are bad mmmkay slot.

It's probably been mentioned on here before but I wonder who told The Edge that the leather jacket with the dangly bits across the shoulder was a good look? I thought The Edge could pull off effortlessly cool with anything...even a Manchester City FC shirt. I was clearly wrong.

I must admit that if it'd been up to me in late 2016 or whenever, if they'd asked me if they should do JT30, I would've told them NO in NO uncertain terms [for my perhaps elitist sense of legacy's sake which I'm sure some you agree with and some of you disagree with]. But of course, nevertheless, I went and saw and generally liked it.

I respect to an extent that they're seemingly sticking to their guns on not playing any JT on the tour, but it just sort of seems to be possibly compromising the E+I shows due entirely to a tour that, while "actual me" (diehard-who-will-see-them-in-nearly-any-context-they-choose) saw and generally enjoyed, "fantasy world me" (trusted part of management who is tasked with helping steer their legacy/integrity/what-have-you) would've almost certainly argued against. Anyone else feel/felt this conflict? I'm sure it was tackled extensively last year, but now we're seeing an actual touring ramification of "the post-JT30 world".

But, of course, in the words of Dalton in Road House: "Opinions vary."

I must admit that if it'd been up to me in late 2016 or whenever, if they'd asked me if they should do JT30, I would've told them NO in NO uncertain terms [for my perhaps elitist sense of legacy's sake which I'm sure some you agree with and some of you disagree with]. But of course, nevertheless, I went and saw and generally liked it.

I respect to an extent that they're seemingly sticking to their guns on not playing any JT on the tour, but it just sort of seems to be possibly compromising the E+I shows due entirely to a tour that, while "actual me" (diehard-who-will-see-them-in-nearly-any-context-they-choose) saw and generally enjoyed, "fantasy world me" (trusted part of management who is tasked with helping steer their legacy/integrity/what-have-you) would've almost certainly argued against. Anyone else feel/felt this conflict? I'm sure it was tackled extensively last year, but now we're seeing an actual touring ramification of "the post-JT30 world".

But, of course, in the words of Dalton in Road House: "Opinions vary."

I felt the same way when they announced JT30, and like you, despite my misgivings still enjoyed it for the most part (although the post-JT set could have been better).

Not really bemoaning the absence of those songs on this tour though, because I've long been annoyed that it often got 4 songs in a lot of shows, and always the first 4 tracks. It's boring. Streets is Streets and untouchable but I simply don't need to see the others again.

You know, I listened to UABRS over Memorial Day weekend a couple times and was like, "Why can't 'Electric Co.' or, maybe to a lesser, ballsier extent, '11 O'Clock' be in this new setlist?

But definitely Electric Co.

You know, I listened to UABRS over Memorial Day weekend a couple times and was like, "Why can't 'Electric Co.' or, maybe to a lesser, ballsier extent, '11 O'Clock' be in this new setlist?

But definitely Electric Co.

It was played heavily in 2015. I'd take Gloria over Electric Co. this year for sure.

[looking at U2gigs] You're right. Funnily enough I was at the Chicago show where they pulled out (and did a really great) "Gloria" for the first time since Vertigo, so I felt really lucky. And even luckier a month later when I caught the MSG show where they did Two Hearts for the first time since Lovetown--say, Ax: at ~9343 days, shouldn't that be 4th on the "Longest Gaps" list?

Nevertheless, would love some Electric Co.

With Bono trying to get on TOP of the barricage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom