eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cut Beautiful Day, then. No one cares about not hearing it except maybe Bono.

That too, but honestly, Beautiful Day was probably played almost every night on the previous FIVE tours. If the iconic Streets can be dropped, so can BD.

Ah, music message boards... the only places where a few fans assume concertgoers never want to hear the singles!

Yep! The average concertgoer isn't looking at/studying/scrutinizing every setlist and clamoring for some obscure song to be played. That said, U2 have dozens of songs that can be switched in and out of the obligatory "greatest hits" slots in a live show. A little rotation to keep the band fresh would be nice, but I'm not expecting it at this point.

I know the fans want the hits. That's not really an argument. But U2 is strange. They have always prided themselves on pushing their new material. And I think it's been a gutsy move for them ever since ZooTv. This tour is no exception. I can't imagine another "classic" band coming out and playing TWELVE songs off their most recent two albums. Completely unheard of.
I think U2's misstep may have been including too many of the SAME hits over over, tour after tour. I think they could keep the setlists more fresh by using their full catalog of "hits" but rotate them out more frequently.

They have so many big songs. I think they could have rotated out a lot of them for big chunks of time while still playing a good number of hits along the way. It would probably have made it more enjoyable for the die hards that go to see them every tour, possibly multiple times.

off the top of my head, here are 35 classics/singles/well known songs. The more questionable ones in italics, not including the last two albums. And they have played only about 13 or 14 of them to death every tour. To be fair, by dropping all JT material this time, they have taken a small step in that direction. But wish it would open up slots for some really cool songs that just never get played anymore.

I will follow
Electric Co
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Two Hearts
Pride
Bad
WoWY
Streets
Bullet
Still haven't found
Desire
Angel of Harlem
All I want
One
Mysterious Ways
Even Better
Horses
Until The End
Stay
Lemon??
Discotheque
SATS
If God...??
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck??
Vertigo
City of Blinding lights
Sometimes you can't??
Boots??
Magnificent??

They shouldn't have dropped Streets, and imo they shouldn't drop Beautiful Day.

I'd say Streets, WOWY, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Vertigo, and Beautiful Day should be played every night, solely for notability and crowd energy. Everyone gets into them, and they're huge hits. I'd begrudgingly say One as well, even though it's such a downer and a mood killer.

Then they have pleeeeeeenty of minor hits they could slot in, but like womanfish said, they're extremely dedicated to playing new material. Getting to hear Gloria, Until the End of the World, Acrobat, Staring at the Sun should be considered a gift.

I think if they are doing one stop in a city, sure. Play the 4 or 5 really big hits... But if they have 2 or 3 nights somewhere. mix it up. I do understand Streets at every show. It's sort of a bucket list song for many.

And I am pretty thrilled with Gloria, Horses(hope it comes back) and Acrobat

Now Gone, Kite, Please, Hold me thrill me (live), Dirty Day, Out of Control, Last Night on Earth, Love is Blindness, The Fly, the list goes oooooon.

I think if they are doing one stop in a city, sure. Play the 4 or 5 really big hits... But if they have 2 or 3 nights somewhere. mix it up. I do understand Streets at every show. It's sort of a bucket list song for many.

And I am pretty thrilled with Gloria, Horses(hope it comes back) and Acrobat

Now Gone, Kite, Please, Hold me thrill me (live), Dirty Day, Out of Control, Last Night on Earth, Love is Blindness, The Fly, the list goes oooooon.

I mean, I absolutely think they should mix it up, I just think those 5 songs should be played regardless to cover their bases. Only having one song between SJ1 and SJ2 is pretty unacceptable imo.

I think this tour is bold and I am glad I am going...sorta.

I ruptured my Achilles in a baseball tournament and had surgery last week. I have the hotel prepaid and am going but I called ahead to see what kind of accomodations i might be able to request...i don't want free or upgraded stuff, just to know I can, you know, be ok.

They told me to take an uber to get dropped off at the front, then request assistance to my seat...where they will take my push cart (I can't crutch...i also herniated discs in my neck and my right shoulder and arm is weak and cannot hold me up on a crutch) and take it to guest services. At that point, I guess I have to hop down 10 rows to my seats (not great...sec 222). If I have to piss, I guess I need to get a big, deluxe tour cup to piss in or crawl up the steps and slide along the ground to the bathroom, as my push cart will be in sec 216 customer care. The same applies to me going and doing anything...

So, when I mention this to the T-Mobile facilities guy who called me after 48 hours, he admitted I would have to make it to my seats by sled or crowdsurf or hopping or hopes and prayers, he said "you could offer someone in the last row your tickets to trade. It would be an upgrade for them and you wouldn't have to walk any stairs." So that is the plan.

Also, because Vegas is at war with non taxi services, I cannot get picked upon an uber/lyft. I will need to use a surge-priced taxi to take me across the street to Tropicana.

My last option is to take all my Percocet at once, float over from the Tropicana on my stylish push cart, tricked out with stickers and Vans grips (and a bell...it is bitchin'), see the show, get the band's attention from sec 222, row ZZZZZ, and have them call me onstage, which will require a stop at sec 216 customer care for my cart, then instead of singing a song or whatever crowd participation people do, just ask for a ride with them (Adam is perfectly acceptable) back to the Tropicana.

What is sad is that last option is better and more accommodating and realistic than the actual help offered by the staff. I just really don't want to miss this show. I find the setlist to be challenging and the opposite of everything the anti-JT30 crowd accused them of being. No one is ever happy, but I like their instincts here.

Verified Gold Status be damned, this is one of the few times I'd actually recommend tweeting at Guy Oseary and the venue.

Verified Gold Status be damned, this is one of the few times I'd actually recommend tweeting at Guy Oseary and the venue.

Absolutely. That situation really shouldn't happen. I understand that they can't help with absolutely everything, but this doesn't sound like they're doing their best either.

I had written a long response, but lost it somehow. I am at Kingman about 90 minutes out. I didn't know Guy was responsive. I responded to an @atu2 tweet with @tmobile arena and they responses...thay was the guy who told me to take an uber and trade tickets and they would help me by taking my cart.

I am bringing crutches...though my neck is fucked, I will crutch from the uber/lyft/taxi for that 2 foot-$30 ride from Tropicana. I can go about 150-200 feet....my right arm goes numb and then starts to hurt, so I will stop. Then go again.

If you see a guy struggling on crutches with a red cast with the Milo Goes To College logo on the arch, a 7 Seconds logo on the side, and a crude Joshua Tree from the top down (fiberglass with a black Sharpe and pain meds doesn't make for the best situation), That's me. I really am out of options as I spoke to the arena. Unless someone knows Guy and can hook a U2 brother up. :) I figure it is Showtime tho...i am late to make a stink.

Just reminds me how lucky I am to only be dealing with a disability for a finite period

Last edited:
I had written a long response, but lost it somehow. I am at Kingman about 90 minutes out. I didn't know Guy was responsive. I responded to an @atu2 tweet with @tmobile arena and they responses...thay was the guy who told me to take an uber and trade tickets and they would help me by taking my cart.

I am bringing crutches...though my neck is fucked, I will crutch from the uber/lyft/taxi for that 2 foot-$30 ride from Tropicana. I can go about 150-200 feet....my right arm goes numb and then starts to hurt, so I will stop. Then go again.

If you see a guy struggling on crutches with a red cast with the Milo Goes To College logo on the arch, a 7 Seconds logo on the side, and a crude Joshua Tree from the top down (fiberglass with a black Sharpe and pain meds doesn't make for the best situation), That's me. I really am out of options as I spoke to the arena. Unless someone knows Guy and can hook a U2 brother up. :) I figure it is Showtime tho...i am late to make a stink.

Just reminds me how lucky I am to only be dealing with a disability for a finite period
Jesus dude... I wish I was in Vegas for the shows I'd head over and help you from the Trop. Maybe there's some interferencers there who could swing over.

There is a bus that makes a stop in front of Tropicana and also by NYNY. Not sure if that'll help enough (it's on the side of NYNY opposite the arena) but it might be another option.

Ask the hotel if they have a wheel chair and maybe tip the bellhop. It's honestly a pretty easy walk from the Trop to the arena, so maybe they'll help you out.

Best of luck!

Thanks. I do have the wife, but she cant carry me. I wonder if I hit the concierge up, can they deliver a motorized Medi cart? Ans what is the tip for that? :)

I got the Trop becauze I didn't want to stay at the Excalibur. I regret that snobby decision

Thanks, all. Hope I make it. Tropicana check in has one agent. Jesus. 98 minutes to Showtime.

Percs will be part of the menu

Let me fix one part...

Spoiled die hards will que for weeks for the first show, get rail, and then leave after the first song to start the line for night 2.

Tell me about it. At least they have shows to go to. U2 finally plays Acrobat and for some insane reason won't add any shows in my neck of the woods despite the fact that it's one of their strongest markets...?

To update, other than the emotion of JT30 personally and my first (Zoo Tv), it was the best, and I have seen every tour from 1990 to present.

They were like U2 without restraint. No shit...I saw Larry smile 3...count them...3 times, one while bashing out a snippet on a song. A guy with a single next to me who might be on here for how big a fan he was may have given it away when I turned to him and said "Larry's totally on board" and he laughed like he understood..

Acrobat...the arguments can go on about whether it is all that or whatever. It as a deep cut super fan track then everyone wanted it so the edgelords don't like it anymore or some shit. I don't care about any of that. I love that song. I saw the Tulsa clip and was scared...Bono was in early, fucking up his timing, and at one point it fell apart.i was worried it would get dropped or thatbwould never get it. They fucking nailed it last night. The tone of that moment, the passion he sang with, Edge flying (they do come back early in his solo by design, I think)...Larry enjoying the fuck out of the challenge. I just laid my head on my wife's shoulder, somewhat exhausted from this week of surgery, recovery, travel and crutching, as it ended and whispered/yelled in her ear "church. Every show they do has this moment. I can die now".

But it wasn't over. Red Flag Day was scorching, and I am truly sorry Tulsa and one day in San Jose...this was a no brainer. He brings the "no, no, Noooooo" with Bono-engaged passion. They have improved the acoustic "Best Thing" from when i saw it in San Diego, but wish it was a full song. They breathed life back into Pride, because context is everything. It is the most enthused I have been to hear that song ever. SBS is like innocence, but it is powerful. Love is...was great.

The 3 big surprises (Acrobat was the pinnacle for me, but surprises)

1. GOOYOW is really powerful live wirh them singing the chorus wirh minimal sequencing backing vocals, unlike that abortion on the album. Was afraid they'd pipe in that mess, but they did it as live as anything.

2. American Soul was much better, some cringy refu-somerhing aside. I skip it regularly. It was really a crowd pleaser live

3. The end. Damn. Yes. This is U2. They just walk off at the end of 13, which is an upgrade on the original and had the crowd singing loud along. But that end. Not 40, carrying the crowd in a sing along and escaping. Just Bono finding his light and leaving. Confusion gave way to stunned. So many people sat in their seats after house lights, and it isn't like Vegas has traffic to beat...just talking about it.

It was not for casuals but it looked every bit like everyone knew every song. It was a really good crowd for a Vegas show...i am going to guess people came from all over the southwest. Lots of prior tour shirts. And Acrobat...to kind of color the arguments from before....no one left for the bathroom and the cheering at the end was like they had just done a hit. I think the song and the bite of his singing and Edge' s playing carries casuals. Based on crowds on YouTube even for the shitty Tulsa version and this amazing version, the crowd either knows the song or just likes the intensity.

I got some help from the cab hailer at the MGM Park (old Monte Carlo) who let us cut the line (I was near death after crutching there and back...my shoulders had no more to give...he got a $20 tip for getting me that can and it was worth every penny), and two very nice couples first traded rows to get us near the top because the stairs are steep and I was like 7 down, then traded spots on our new row to put us one from the aisle.
It was an exhausting but amazing night...the show and the people who helped make the decision to go 9 days after surgery on a bursted Achilles not the dumbest thing I ever did.

The niceness stopped with the blackjack dealer that took $100 from me in 7 hands .

Tonight, we see the Prince tribute (and Morris Day and the Time...they do both) Purple Reign. I'd love to see U2 again but I can't physically take it and, luckily, Purple Reign is in residence at our hotel (we saw them once in AZ...very good).

I hope U2 adds a leg that hits Phoenix or somewhere close adter my leg is functional. This show is ballsy and I want to see it again

(Forgive any typos...i am trying to knock this out poolside eating at the Trop and I can barel t see the screen).

And thanks for the encouragement

I’m glad you had a great time, and hope you continue recovering. You’re a trooper for going to an arena concert under those circumstances!

Although I haven’t seen the show in person, you have described it perfectly - ballsy. Now I really want to buy a ticket...

Back
Top Bottom