Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
redhill, if I may offer a bit of counsel.

I know what it's like to come on here and feel like you're right and most others are wrong. Allow me to tell you my tale, based on the official version of events. My introduction to this site was around the time of the Achtung Baby reissue. I noted at the time it was announced that the press release and promotional materials made no mention of the record being "remastered", as was the case with all the previous reissues.

I came on Interference and casually mentioned my observation, thinking knowledgable fans here would have observed the same thing....and then all hell broke lose. People were insulted and enraged at the mere suggestion that U2 might not remaster AB. Among those who the record is their favourite, heads exploded. I was shocked and saddened to see all manner of vitriol was thrown my way. Nonetheless, I restated my opinion that apparently the record would not be remastered (based on the promotional materials), firmly and politely.

Of course, later I was humbled and gratified to have been proven right, when Edge, among others close to the band, confirmed the record would not be remastered. And indeed it was not. And in fairness a few other users (BVS comes to mind) came to the same conclusion early on.

The difference here is that while I remained polite, humble and civil in stating my position (as leading users and Hive members here can confirm and verify), you sadly have succumbed to vitriol and personal insults. Even when such is thrown your way, you must be the better person and rise above all that. But even with that, I'm distressed and disheartened to report that the incident sparked a feud, a war of words if you will, between myself and Gabriel (our own Gvox) that went on for far too long.

The other distinction is that I was arguing something that was ultimately knowable...either AB was remastered or it was not. U2 never said the record would be remastered, I assumed then that it wasn't, and that assumption was borne out to be correct. You're stating an opinion based on body language. Absent Larry or another member of the band getting involved in this discussion (and they tend to keep these things in the family), we likely will never know what Larry is thinking. You're arguing an opinion...and there are no winners in such an argument. There's nothing to "prove".

So my counsel is to let it go and move on.

Here endeth the lesson. So say we all.

Your sharing this story is appreciated as it does resonate. The excitement I had when I initiated this thread was sincerely to see what others thought.

I should have (but did not) anticipate the sh*itstorm. I did succumb to personal insults but certainly didn't start them...and never had that intent in the first place. In the future, as mentioned, I'm just going to put egregious trolls on the ignore list. It's already helping.

Although I'm certainly not perfect, it is sad that you can't have a discussion on this forum without it becoming that. That's why I usually just lurk. I do realize I was stating an unpopular opinion.

There were other assertions made apart from Larry's body language in that video...which were an extension of that question and about the validity of this tour in general.

I think most of us agree that this, to a large extent, this is quite the departure for them. I am surprised that that 80/20 rule is leaning towards being in favor of this tour....come to think of it...that would make a good poll...

If not entirely provable, a very strong case can and has been made about why this tour runs counter to their past principles.

Isn't it worth knowing if a band you have followed for decades no longer has principles that you can believe in...or worse...has some that you entirely disagree with? I can enjoy the music in either case but that does matter to me (and I'm sure a large number of others).

Beyond that, does every assertion have to be absolutely and completely provable to be worthy of discussing? Despite a lot of the nonsense, there was some insightful discussion that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I think herein lies the main point of contention - others don't feel it is reasonable to suggest they aren't on the same page from the evidence you have provided. I felt exactly the same about his level of interest from the Fallon appearance before the SOI delay. And he seems to have enjoyed it just fine.

I think the weirdest thing would have been if he did speak and was energetic. He plays the surly one so often, it's impossible to tell if it's a bit, or if it's serious. I actually watched this live and thought him pressing the buzzer to wrap up the others was the most playful thing he'd done since the R&H movie interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Good point...and he was being playful in the JT teaser video around Christmastime. My initial thought is "as band bodyguard, maybe he sees it as his role to ensure they don't get too serious and repeat past errors...being that they're revisiting the era when they got crucified for that."

But, as you know, I wouldn't dare speculate in this forum!

:banghead:

I'm probably insane for analyzing this band so much (I have an interest in psychology so I really can't help it) but, in addition to being a frustrating band at times, they're also fun elves to follow!

Last edited:
Your sharing this story is appreciated as it does resonate. The excitement I had when I initiated this thread was sincerely to see what others thought.

I should have (but did not) anticipate the sh*itstorm. I did succumb to personal insults but certainly didn't start them...and never had that intent in the first place. In the future, as mentioned, I'm just going to put egregious trolls on the ignore list. It's already helping.

Although I'm certainly not perfect, it is sad that you can't have a discussion on this forum without it becoming that. That's why I usually just lurk. I do realize I was stating an unpopular opinion.

There were other assertions made apart from Larry's body language in that video...which were an extension of that question and about the validity of this tour in general.

I think most of us agree that this, to a large extent, this is quite the departure for them. I am surprised that that 80/20 rule is leaning towards being in favor of this tour....come to think of it...that would make a good poll...

If not entirely provable, a very strong case can and has been made about why this tour runs counter to their past principles.

Isn't it worth knowing if a band you have followed for decades no longer has principles that you can believe in...or worse...has some that you entirely disagree with? I can enjoy the music in either case but that does matter to me (and I'm sure a large number of others).

Beyond that, does every assertion have to be absolutely and completely provable to be worthy of discussing? Despite a lot of the nonsense, there was some insightful discussion that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
I'd ask you to reread the first few posts.

There was your post, there was disagreement with your post, and then there was you saying that the disagreement was needless contradiction, mocking you, people being sheep and delusional... and thank god for the two of 10 people who agreed with you for having the ability to speak rationally.

Seriously... That's how the thread that you continue to say you were bullied and mocked in began.

Disagreement is not mockery. Disagreement is not bullying.

Nobody came in here and said "you're wrong... and an asshole"

They said you were wrong, that they felt you were reading into things too far, and that you were seeing things that weren't there to back up your own feelings on this tour.

That's not mockery. That's disagreement.

We're allowed to disagree.

I'd ask you to reread the first few posts.

There was your post, there was disagreement with your post, and then there was you saying that the disagreement was needless contradiction, mocking you, people being sheep and delusional... and thank god for the two of 10 people who agreed with you for having the ability to speak rationally.

Seriously... That's how the thread that you continue to say you were bullied and mocked in began.

Disagreement is not mockery. Disagreement is not bullying.

Nobody came in here and said "you're wrong... and an asshole"

They said you were wrong, that they felt you were reading into things too far, and that you were seeing things that weren't there to back up your own feelings on this tour.

That's not mockery. That's disagreement.

We're allowed to disagree.

Seriously? I don't think you want to go down this road as this *is* provable. There was quite a bit of malicious mocking going on...before I regrettably retaliated.

Seriously? I don't think you want to go down this road as this *is* provable. There was quite a bit of malicious mocking going on...before I regrettably retaliated.
We don't need to - I'm just saying calling people delusional because they disagree with you is not going to bring out their warm and fuzzy side.

Ya think?

I guess he was also pissed as fuck that he wasn't given a motorbike and wasn't really on board with the entire award ceremony.

I mean, just look at the body language.

Nice one g-thang! The ignore list is a beautiful thing!

Last edited:
I'm trying! Apparently I'm an utter wretch so it's awfully challenging.

So far I've been accused of thinking too hard, being a zealot, being too "important", having delusions of grandeur, thinking I'm the best fan, being assumptive, not thinking that other fans should have fun, having a psychiatric condition, being a liar, not allowing people to be adaptive, not having a sense of humor, being a bully, etc, etc.

And that's just off the top of my head!

To boot, after having all of that heaved on me, I was told I was playing the victim!

How do I even sleep at night?

The heck with all of that. We don't even know your gender. How can we get to know the real you if you have a skimpy profile? Hell, you don't even have an avatar! The scandal!

The good news is that we just may find out as the tour progresses.

In that regard, I'm looking forward to it. For selfish reasons, after being a fan for decades, I would like to think (and early evidence strongly suggests this) that the man who started the band isn't entirely on board with this tour either.

I still think, and early evidence strongly suggests, that's he's just as excited about this tour than any.

I'm not sure how one watches that video and gets "differently than Bono politically" from it. I mean you're not suggesting Larry is a Trump fan are you?

I still think, and early evidence strongly suggests, that's he's just as excited about this tour than any.

I'm not sure how one watches that video and gets "differently than Bono politically" from it. I mean you're not suggesting Larry is a Trump fan are you?

I realize you're mimicking me but what is this early evidence?

And, no I'm not. Are you suggesting that they have identical political views?

I do wonder, however, if they're using Trump (to some extent) to gain additional exposure. If so, that is something I wouldn't expect or hope to see from them.

On the subject of Trump, Bono has commented that the elections forced himself to ask some hard questions about being out of touch.

Personally, I think he is. The circular rimmed sunglasses prove it.

:whistle:

Last edited:
I realize you're mimicking me but what is this early evidence?

And, no I'm not. Are you suggesting that they have identical political views?

I do wonder, however, if they're using Trump (to some extent) to gain additional exposure. If so, that is something I wouldn't expect or hope to see from them.

On the subject of Trump, Bono has commented that the elections forced himself to ask some hard questions about being out of touch.

Personally, I think he is. The circular rimmed sunglasses prove it.

:whistle:

The early evidence shows that Larry is being Larry. I know you don't want to hear that, but one could find interviews where he seemed like he didn't want to be there, where he said something like, 'I'm looking forward to all of it..." and being aloof.

Do I think they align identically when it comes to politics? No, but pretty damn close.

You don't think U2 has capitalized on current political environments?! They've almost made a career out of it, that was part of Larry's joke.

The early evidence shows that Larry is being Larry. I know you don't want to hear that, but one could find interviews where he seemed like he didn't want to be there, where he said something like, 'I'm looking forward to all of it..." and being aloof.

Do I think they align identically when it comes to politics? No, but pretty damn close.

You don't think U2 has capitalized on current political environments?! They've almost made a career out of it, that was part of Larry's joke.

I'm sure we'll have more media and interviews to dissect as time goes on. I'm done analyzing the subject until that happens.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about politics to comment further on that. I'm sure there are others here (Dan Smee, etc) who are.

Yea, they may have in the past but I don't recall them making a strong protest about a "candidate" before. I'm sure I've never heard of them delaying an album over it.

I watch that video and think wow typical Larry. Typical Larry in almost every single interview or video I ave ever seen. Honestly the person who watches that video and suddenly thinks to themselves Larry isn't on board and wants none of this is just desperate for something to talk about and in all likelihood desperate to seem more perceptive than the rest. Also I'm pretty sure that if you watch that video and think these things you're a drama queen in real life too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom