Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still want Phoenix. I know Sun Devil Stadium is under construction and has a capacity reduction (and is a total pit compared to modern stadiums), so I understand why they aren't going for a R&H redux, but UoP stadium is pretty open...the Cardinals don't have a home game in the regular season until Sept 25. The grass rolls out and the stadium is all but designed for concerts with a near horseshoe design (the "open side" has few seats, is where load in/out is done). We just passed someone for 5th largest city in America and are just as good an entry to Mexico as San Diego.

Plus...the history thing. This tour is going to do well anywhere in the west/southwest. I am just still somewhat shocked that neither Phoenix nor Vegas has made either cut. SDS never was really an option, but UoP stadium is perfect, and a dome, so don't worry about the heat.

It seems a silly question and one that no one knows the answer to for sure, but is this it? Or are they going to sneak one or two more into North America (not that we haven't had our share).

The Joshua Tree is an American album by a European band. I get why they would hammer this in the US, but the short stick Europe is getting is surprising.

Upside for us Europeans not intending to travel to the US is that we won't have to deal with the normal presale/ ticket sale madness for these shows

Or the joys of dealing with all the hassle of flying there.

On the other hand extending the tour doesn't bode well for SOE anytime soon

Wow surprised to see U2 hasn't played in Indianapolis since 2001.

Even Salt Lake got Vertigo and 360 dates

Ahh, expanding my horizons and am going to hit Mexico City (pending tix of course). Seven days, six nights works out just as cheap as two nights and airfare in Minneapolis, for example. :D Still a few things I didn't get to see left over from when I was there a couple of years ago., so why not.

I just booked a 5* hotel very close to the stadium for only $70/night. The hotel right next to the stadium is sold out for the announced show, but has availability for the assumed 2nd night

Wow surprised to see U2 hasn't played in Indianapolis since 2001.

Even Salt Lake got Vertigo and 360 dates

I was at that Indianapolis show. It was one of those shows that "sold out", but only because everything behind the stage was curtained off. Maybe the slow sales combined with the close proximity to Chicago hurt it's chances for more shows.

I remember Indianapolis was rumored during Vertigo, and that show would've happened on September 26th 2005, the day after the Milwaukee show. Obviously never happened, even though I'm sure they would have sold it out.

One more U2 Indy tidbit, they were supposed to get a show on November 19th, 1997. It was announced at Kmart with all the other shows. However, tickets were never even put onsale and the concert was cancelled. I didn't know the concert was cancelled, and was still trying to convince my parents to take me up until a week before the concert (I was 15). Finally my Mom called ticketmaster (as you did in those days) and they informed her it was cancelled. They had already taken me to the Columbus show, so I don't blame them for not wanting to go again.

I don't see anything in the u2.com article about this being the end of the tour, or these being the final dates announced.

There's every reason to expect more dates to be added.

At the very least, extra shows in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina. And they could tack on Atlanta, etc when they add those shows in another few weeks.

And what was that rumor Ax heard? Perth in November or something? More dates for Leg 3 are almost certainly coming, and a further expansion to Australia/NZ is definitely still a possibility.

It could be they want to announce Aus seperate..... Never know might come in the next month or so.

It could be they want to announce Aus seperate..... Never know might come in the next month or so.
The new dates start barely 3 months from now, plenty of time to have a separate announcement if the rumours of November are true.

my Mom called ticketmaster (as you did in those days)

This part made me laugh with nostalgia . Calling Ticketmaster. Those were the days.

I remember using the trick of getting through faster for a concert here in Minneapolis by calling the local Ticketmaster number in say San Diego. They would be confused why I was calling San Diego to buy tickets for Minneapolis, but it worked!

This part made me laugh with nostalgia . Calling Ticketmaster. Those were the days.

I remember using the trick of getting through faster for a concert here in Minneapolis by calling the local Ticketmaster number in say San Diego. They would be confused why I was calling San Diego to buy tickets for Minneapolis, but it worked!

Now that's using your head!

Speaking of ancient ticket buying practices, I remember that for one of the Elevation shows, I went to my local Kroger, that had a ticketmaster outlet. I bought 4 tickets, and it ended up being like $400. The lady looked at me with disgust and said "Are you sure you want these?" I told her I did, and she shook her head and said "I'd just stay home and listen to the CD!!" GIVE ME MY FUCKING TICKETS SO I CAN LEAVE THIS PLACE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Speaking of ancient ticket buying practices, I remember that for one of the Elevation shows, I went to my local Kroger, that had a ticketmaster outlet. I bought 4 tickets, and it ended up being like $400. The lady looked at me with disgust and said "Are you sure you want these?" I told her I did, and she shook her head and said "I'd just stay home and listen to the CD!!" GIVE ME MY FUCKING TICKETS SO I CAN LEAVE THIS PLACE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

If I were her employer, I'd probably not be too happy with her asking a customer to not spend $400 on tickets!

Indy to KC then back east to St Louis only makes sense to pick up some bling bling. And yes KC will struggle to sell out but 35 to 40K is very possible and that I-70 corridor is easy peasy logistically. Would not surprise me to see Denver or Phoenix added between St Louis and San Diego.

Now that's using your head!

That's twice this thread has made me laugh!

I remember trying to find the most obscure Ticketmaster location I could in the area to get a leg up. When a girl in '92 told me about Propaganda and how everyone was getting tickets in the first couple rows on the floor, I just about died when I found out how easy that was. Then came the internet and information traveled in a flash and the whole Propaganda mailing list went to hell. It was great while it lasted.

Haha. Yeah I used this trick to get 16 tickets to the first Slane show in 2001 :applaud:

Also this is why arenas > stadiums when it comes to concerts. You dont get this close to the band in Stadiums even when you queue all day to be up at the stage.

12046601_10153675502481554_4369072512730943459_n.jpg

Is Bonnaroo broadcasted or streamed anywhere like Glasto and Coachella? So that we'll have pro-shoots of the gig.

I'm not a concert promoter but how long typically before a show would you expect venues to be put on hold?

I still want Phoenix. I know Sun Devil Stadium is under construction and has a capacity reduction (and is a total pit compared to modern stadiums), so I understand why they aren't going for a R&H redux, but UoP stadium is pretty open...the Cardinals don't have a home game in the regular season until Sept 25. The grass rolls out and the stadium is all but designed for concerts with a near horseshoe design (the "open side" has few seats, is where load in/out is done). We just passed someone for 5th largest city in America and are just as good an entry to Mexico as San Diego.

Plus...the history thing. This tour is going to do well anywhere in the west/southwest. I am just still somewhat shocked that neither Phoenix nor Vegas has made either cut. SDS never was really an option, but UoP stadium is perfect, and a dome, so don't worry about the heat.

Looking at the schedule from Sept 12 onward, I think it is a safe bet that a few more cities will be added in the coming weeks. Phoenix, Denver, SLC, maybe an additional Cali show or a 2nd night in San Diego

I'm not a concert promoter but how long typically before a show would you expect venues to be put on hold?

How long is a piece of string? Usually it's more than just the venue. Traffic planning, staffing, Police, security. Consent from the city/area authorities. Air/ground freight. You're fucking brave at less than six months in my opinion.

Actually, these tactics still kind of work today. Around here (Omaha) grocery stores have TM access windows and for whatever reason you can still walk up to the counter and they have access to seats not online... at least I think.

Especially day of the show... after mis-calculating the after market and fan sales, I was able to walk up show day and score my daughters two lower bowl tickets for Taylor Swift 1989 tour... great seats, face value, no line.

On a more U2 note, I'm sure it's been posted, but have pre-sale codes been posted to U2.com accounts yet?

If you don't want to wait, you can do a search through your emails ("u2 presale"). Or scroll back to January.

I can't think of any reason for your code to change from the first set of shows to these new ones since it's tied to your membership.

What might be the total gross of TJT tour 2017 after the newly announced dates ?

Ok, a VERY rough estimate in my opinion for the full tour of all shows would be about 350 million bucks. I'm using 135 dollar avg. ticket price (I have no idea really) times an average attendance of 60,000 fans, times 44 shows. I'm not including Bonnaroo.
Top grossing tour of 2016 was 260 million.

Although a quick look at Coldplay's tour schedule, I think they may have it in the bag. they have 55 2017 dates, and they put up HUGE numbers in Asia and are pretty much selling out every show. So they could end up topping U2 for sure. If U2 ends up adding another 5 or 6 dates, it will be really close.

Last edited:

Yep, the out of market phone number was one trick (even though back then you may have had to pay long distance phone charges), another trick was to call in at 9:50-9:55, get a TM operator and keep them on the line asking about some other show or shows already on sale, choose not to buy and right at 10:00 say, "oh can you check what's available for U2 on June 16?"

Good times.

Actually I've heard (haven't tried it yet) that using the phone to call TM may be an advantage during an onsale now cause 99.9% of folks are buying online, phone lines are easy to get through, most folks don't even know you can still order tickets by phone.

I just booked a 5* hotel very close to the stadium for only $70/night. The hotel right next to the stadium is sold out for the announced show, but has availability for the assumed 2nd night

I've passed by that stadium before and wasn't all that keen about the area, plus I won't be queuing for the show, so I would just be staying more central by where The Angel is on Reforma. Modest but nice place I've stayed at before, and I am staying in a nicer, bigger room this time so am paying $58/night incl. tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom