Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been watching little things from Houston and Bono saying joe o'herlihy has left the tour? Any more info on that?

All we know is that there will likely be changes when they get to Europe. Maybe they will give ASOH another chance there.

Hopefully not just in Dublin.

Will be interesting to see if the week break brings anything, a new song into the set or something or if they just disperse for a week and Bono eats, Adam goes to Museums, Larry gets another face lift and Edge burns all the SOE tapes and starts from scratch.

I didn't hate the lumineers, but then I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them either. Sorry I let you down Interference.

I'm skeptical they are playing less because of the openers. 360 had 24-26 song shows that had opening acts. Some IE shows had 23 songs despite no opener (I distinctly remember grumbling that all IE shows should have been 26+ songs because no opener).

Has anyone compared the actual show lengths (in hours and minutes) to past tours? I think that may be worth looking at. The shows could be 21-22 songs but the songs themselves could be longer.

Those figures should show a breakdown of sans bono speechifying too.

As much as the tech makes their shows like no one else's, it severely limits flexibility and spontaneity.

Just been watching little things from Houston and Bono saying joe o'herlihy has left the tour? Any more info on that?

He was actually talking about Jo Ravitch, a sound engineer who worked on Joe O'Herlihy's team. Bono thanked Joe and then started talking about Jo, who is apparently leaving the tour after many years of service to the band. Sounds like it might be a health issue.

I'm skeptical they are playing less because of the openers. 360 had 24-26 song shows that had opening acts. Some IE shows had 23 songs despite no opener (I distinctly remember grumbling that all IE shows should have been 26+ songs because no opener).

Has anyone compared the actual show lengths (in hours and minutes) to past tours? I think that may be worth looking at. The shows could be 21-22 songs but the songs themselves could be longer.

No one said they are playing less because of opening bands. They aren't playing less, if one would just pay attention to their norms.

The numbers I've seen have 360 at an average of 23.

The point of opening acts were more of a value per dollar.

But honestly this is all quite a ridiculous argument. Do you judge a movie by length? A book? Do you judge a painting by the size of canvas?

Is this phone sex? Do you expect to pay per minute?

Hate to find myself turning into the antithesis of my previous self, but I guess that's what happens when they only tour your country once a fucking decade. The show is great and awesome and I wish everyone would stop fucking whinging over inconsequential shit :shrug:

I seldom complain about U2 on this forum, but let me say from the bottom of my heart:

FUCK YOU FOR DROPPING ASOH!!!!!!

One of their WORST setlist decisions EVER. The song seemed to be working beautifully live. And from the YouTube videos I've seen, the crowd seemed pretty into it as well. Just fucking baffling why they'd drop one of their best songs EVER, which they had finally just started playing after fucking decades. Fuck!

Re: Joshua Tree Tour

I don't really post on the forum even though I visit everyday but I have to give my 2 cents after reading this thread.

I have no issue with U2 doing this tour if it is a way to build momentum and keep working until the new album is released this Fall. I am going to see them in Toronto and Cleveland so I haven't experienced the show first hand yet but after listening to all of the shows so far, this tour is not working. I don't want to complain too much as really this tour is a gift and something I wouldn't have predicted a year ago but this feels like a missed opportunity.

The Joshua Tree played in order is not working. It has nothing to do with the performances, it is more to do with how the album was constructed. All of the recognizable moments for the general public are on the first half of the album. Once you get to Red Hill Mining Town, you start to feel that they are losing the crowd and the momentum they have built disappears. In God's Country and Exit are personally my favourite moments from the album but I don't think Side B translates well live despite some great performances from the band. I do not think this can be rectified as this is the point of the tour but I really think Achtung Baby is the only album in their catalogue that would work live from start to finish.

Also, pacing of the show is odd. The beginning of show feels like they are killing time until the TJT and the encore is way too slow. SBS is a boring opener. TLT doesn't feel like the right way to end the show. They are tinkering with this for most shows but without adding songs that have not made the setlist, I don't think reshuffling is going to work.

They need to drop Elevation, Ultra Violet, Miss Sarajevo and consider adding more tunes from Boy, October, War and Rattle & Hum.

Dropping ASOH is a big mistake. Dropping this song feels like laziness more than anything else. This song if performed well could really get the crowd going and be a highlight of the show.

I think an ideal setlist would have been the following:

1. I Will Follow 2. Out of Control 3. New Years Day (or Gloria for 2nd shows) 4. ASOH 5. Pride 6. The Joshua Tree Album 7. Beautiful Day 8. Vertigo.

Encore 1: Desire, Pride, Little Things, Bad.

Encore 2: One, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

U2 in the early days used to play I Will Follow twice and did this again with Vertigo in 2005. Another idea could be to play TJT in full to start the show and then play Where The Streets Have No Name again at the end of the show. They can slightly alter the 2nd version but I think most people wouldn't mind and it somehow feels right starting and ending this show with this song.

More changes will be coming. Mid June to early July have the longest daylight so unless they are going on stage even later and playing past curfew, they will be playing WTSHNN in daylight. Let's hope they relook at their setlist during their week off.

Another idea could be to play TJT in full to start the show and then play Where The Streets Have No Name again at the end of the show. They can slightly alter the 2nd version but I think most people wouldn't mind and it somehow feels right starting and ending this show with this song.

:huh:

Is this the news and rumors thread?
Now that the tour has actually been going for 2 weeks, the band should know whether they are having a good time or not. So shouldn't we be hearing about the South American dates soon? Like really soon? Every day that they're not announced makes me a bit more worried that they're not going to happen.

Maybe...
We'll see...

If South American shows are happening in October then I would imagine they'd be announced and go on sale sometime in the next month.

I seldom complain about U2 on this forum, but let me say from the bottom of my heart:

FUCK YOU FOR DROPPING ASOH!!!!!!

One of their WORST setlist decisions EVER. The song seemed to be working beautifully live. And from the YouTube videos I've seen, the crowd seemed pretty into it as well. Just fucking baffling why they'd drop one of their best songs EVER, which they had finally just started playing after fucking decades. Fuck!

Preach !

Can't say too much but I am hearing more US shows in Sept....

.... if true, that really sucks for SOE.

Fuck it, Milk the US completely dry. Could do Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis or Kansas City, Oklahoma, New Orleans, Detroit, Minneapolis, Buffalo, Denver, salt lake, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Oregon, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal. Then slide down to Mexico, then down to South America, then in early 2018 over to NZ, Australia, and then up to pacific rim Asia, and finish up in Hawaii. And just push SOE back another year, why not?

Last edited:
Shows in September would have to be announced soonish. Maybe that's been the holdup for the South American announcement... they want to do North America again in sep-oct.

Last edited:
.... if true, that really sucks for SOE.

Fuck it, Milk the US completely dry. Could do Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis or Kansas City, Oklahoma, New Orleans, Detroit, Minneapolis, Buffalo, Denver, salt lake, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Oregon, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal. Then slide down to Mexico, then down to South America, then in early 2018 over to NZ, Australia, and then up to pacific rim Asia, and finish up in Hawaii. And just push SOE back another year, why not?

It's not that I haven't been wrong before, but I absolutely do not believe there will be anymore US shows.

Besides, who wants to see empty stadiums in Atlanta, Carolina, St Louis/Oklahoma, New Orleans, Denver, Salt Lake and probably the others as well?

Hey, throw in Jacksonville (Florida), I still remember for POPMART around 15000 fans in a stadium that would hold around 70000 or more.

I don't know how many shows are coming but I know the announcement is planned for Tues and I know they will be early/mid sept. I can't share anything else right now.

Makes sense to me. This tour seems to be doing a great job of getting the casuals out, and there is still plenty of markets that would do just fine. The $ is too easy and they'll get as much as they can out of the stage investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom