How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #1
Babyface
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 24
Local Time: 12:42 AM
How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever

First thing it was a joy seeing JT played live , nothing can take that enjoyment away.

Outside the JT setlist , this really feels like a lazy showupforthemoney type gig . There is zero spontaneity and it now feels like a U2 gig is nothing more than like going to a theatre where the script is set with act one and act two firmly adhere too.

This has to be the worst encore set ever and not even trying to mix it up is very sad indeed.
__________________

__________________
hennesd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #2
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 54,753
Local Time: 04:42 PM
North American Scum
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,339
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennesd72 View Post

This has to be the worst encore set ever and not even trying to mix it up is very sad indeed.

Well these are two entirely different things. But no, it's been discussed before, there have been tours with less change ups.
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #4
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,649
Local Time: 05:42 AM
How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennesd72 View Post
First thing it was a joy seeing JT played live , nothing can take that enjoyment away.

Outside the JT setlist , this really feels like a lazy showupforthemoney type gig . There is zero spontaneity and it now feels like a U2 gig is nothing more than like going to a theatre where the script is set with act one and act two firmly adhere too.

This has to be the worst encore set ever and not even trying to mix it up is very sad indeed.


I do agree that the setlist are more or less the same at every show. Thing is 95% of the people, only go to one show and probably have no idea what the set list is even going to be bar the Joshua tree.

I totally disagree about the encore being the worst ever. I went to the London and Dublin shows. The combination of beautiful day/elevation/ vertigo were some of the most well received songs of the night. Especially elevation and vertigo. The crowd were wild from the position is was at. Looking around everyone was the same. I know there's abit of hate for those 3 songs with die hard fans but they get 80 thousand people rocking so who is right and who is wrong???

Mysterious ways also got a massive reaction. One is in the same boat. I mean look at the Dublin video of this song. Everyone with there lights out singing together. One went down a storm. I will follow has also been a great song in the encore when it's been played.

The only two songs that could fit into that bracket for me are miss Sarajevo and little things. I get why they play miss Sarajevo though it fits in with the message about women and I also found the visuals good for this. Little things is a good song but not a closing song but again I get why they are doing it cause the whole gig is about the past and they want people to go away thinking about the future.

At stadium shows you have a massive casual crowd which are the people u2 are gonna want to please more then anything. Me being a hardcore fan will like anything they do.

Think people forget their not there to please a small bunch of hardcore fans but the large majority
__________________
rennowba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 150,215
Local Time: 04:42 PM
I totally agree on the encore. It was a thorough buzzkill for me; at London 1 it was impossible for me to even pretend to be interested, while the next night I discovered that it takes six pints of beer to coax me into jumping up and down for Vertigo and Elevation. I'm fine with BD, Elevation, Vertigo, One, whatever scattered throughout the set, but that encore is just one song after another that anybody who's been to a previous tour - and that's going to be a lot of the audience - has heard before. You don't need to be the sort of fan who goes to lots of shows on the same tour to be annoyed by that, just somebody interested enough to go whenever the band passes through town. Hell, you just need to have gone to the 360 Tour to have heard almost the entire non-JT part of the set.

And even if the song choices weren't generic and overplayed as fuck, it feels like everything's shoehorned to fit a clumsy narrative. U2 have always tried to have some sort of thematic structure, and usually they do it well. This is a disappointing flop from a band who should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Well these are two entirely different things. But no, it's been discussed before, there have been tours with less change ups.
Yep. At the same point ZooTV had even fewer songs. JT30 at the moment has 28 songs, 27 if you remove Happy Birthday, after 29 shows. The first leg of ZooTV, which had 32 shows, only got to 26 songs. The first two legs combined had 57 shows and 29 songs. So JT30 is not the most static ever.

Though JT30 is lagging behind JT 1987! That tour got 30 different songs on its 29-show first leg. And, of course, there was greater night-to-night variation in the order.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Think people forget their not there to please a small bunch of hardcore fans but the large majority
It's hard to forget when it's in your face every tour. When is it our turn? Random treats like THBAO, Zoo Station, and TCB are great and all...but why are we like dogs who get thrown the occasional bone?

I hope they shift gears for at least one tour before they stop...turn this thing on its head...and cater to the hardcore fans for once.
__________________
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,513
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
It's hard to forget when it's in your face every tour. When is it our turn? Random treats like THBAO, Zoo Station, and TCB are great and all...but why are we like dogs who get thrown the occasional bone?

I hope they shift gears for at least one tour before they stop...turn this thing on its head...and cater to the hardcore fans for once.
Lest we forget, there have been shows this tour that have featured a brand new song, A Sort of Homecoming, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, One Tree Hill, Exit, Mothers of the Disappeared, Miss Sarajevo and Ultraviolet. That's 11 songs that, prior to 2006, most hardcore fans would have been over the moon to hear and only the last two songs on that list have been played with any regularity over the past decade. Understandably, the other half is dedicated to their mainstream audience.

Call the setlist static all you want, it is exactly that, but I don't think they're being unfair to their hardcore fans with this tour at all.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,649
Local Time: 05:42 AM
How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
It's hard to forget when it's in your face every tour. When is it our turn? Random treats like THBAO, Zoo Station, and TCB are great and all...but why are we like dogs who get thrown the occasional bone?



I hope they shift gears for at least one tour before they stop...turn this thing on its head...and cater to the hardcore fans for once.


True but haven't they just played side b of the Joshua tree. A side that not everyone would be familiar with. We got to hear exit, gods country etc etc even red hill mining town that was never played before this tour.so you could argue that they have catered for the hardcore fans . You could even argue that my original quote is wrong aswell
__________________
rennowba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Lest we forget, there have been shows this tour that have featured a brand new song, A Sort of Homecoming, Running to Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, One Tree Hill, Exit, Mothers of the Disappeared, Miss Sarajevo and Ultraviolet. That's 11 songs that, prior to 2006, most hardcore fans would have been over the moon to hear and only the last two songs on that list have been played with any regularity over the past decade. Understandably, the other half is dedicated to their mainstream audience.

Call the setlist static all you want, it is exactly that, but I don't think they're being unfair to their hardcore fans with this tour at all.
This argument is flimsy because the entire point of the tour was to play JT in its entirety. So, of course, we got those songs. I have been glad to hear them! But let's not pretend that they decided to do so for their hardcore fans.

Let's also not pretend that Ultraviolet and Miss Sarajevo aren't being played / performed in an uninspired way.
__________________
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
True but haven't they just played side b of the Joshua tree. A side that not everyone would be familiar with. We got to hear exit, gods country etc etc even red hill mining town that was never played before this tour.so you could argue that they have catered for the hardcore fans . You could even argue that my original quote is wrong aswell
I don't really want to argue the obvious. If you want to believe that this tour was designed to cater to the hardcore fans so be it.

There's just no way that's true.
__________________
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 3,627
Local Time: 05:42 AM
I think its strange and sort of shitty that they didn't play ASOH as an extra song in Dublin. I mean, they already only played one show. Give your home fucking town an extra song, especially one that would have been totally in theme with the night.
__________________
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 6,551
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
North American Scum
how was your LCD show?
__________________
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,949
Local Time: 04:42 PM
Some people were skeptical that U2 would play the whole album every show, even after a few shows had been played.
__________________
kabigon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
Babyface
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 24
Local Time: 12:42 AM
I think the encore setlist missed a huge opportunity . A day without me , drowning man , 11 oclock tick toc , 40 , wired , indian summer sky , MLK surrender, walk on , Gloria etc , all the above could just be relevant and mix it up with BD, Elevation , Vertigo ( all of which have now been played to death ) . The fact they havent thrown in the odd curve ball for the hardcore fans who have been with them over the last 30 years , in the pissing rain , ducking the bottles full of piss shows just how disconnected they have become from fans / music itself .
__________________
hennesd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,662
Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennesd72 View Post
I think the encore setlist missed a huge opportunity . A day without me , drowning man , 11 oclock tick toc , 40 , wired , indian summer sky , MLK surrender, walk on , Gloria etc , all the above could just be relevant and mix it up with BD, Elevation , Vertigo ( all of which have now been played to death ) . The fact they havent thrown in the odd curve ball for the hardcore fans who have been with them over the last 30 years , in the pissing rain , ducking the bottles full of piss shows just how disconnected they have become from fans / music itself .
i mean... i can understand if you're unhappy with the encore. but it's not as though Ultra Violet is played a ton. and as others have mentioned, you're getting the entire side 2 of the Joshua Tree. hate the songs or love the songs, but Elevation and Vertigo get some of the biggest reactions from the crowd, so I can understand why they play them. I enjoyed them when I saw them.

Also, they played MLK earlier in the tour. i hardly consider it a big treat if i hear it anyway.
__________________

__________________
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com