2015 U2 Tour News - delivered to Interference.com first and exclusively

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's truly 7 cities, I'd be quite tickled to see Las Vegas be one of the 7.

If you're going to make people travel to the shows, might as well make it to places worth traveling to.

This thought crossed my mind. I'd hate to hear the whole "washed up residency in Vegas move over Celine Dion" chatter that will surround it, but spend a week in Vegas seeing U2 several of the nights? Ok, twist my arm.

Gotcha.

It had BETTER be one of the PNW cities. :grumpy:

As a poor college student who doesn't the money to travel, they better fucking play in either Seattle or Portland or I will be very upset.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If they do go with the residency idea, I hope they at least play one show in certain select cities. So long residencies in 7 cities and one-off gigs in smaller cities that can support an arena show but not a full residency.

This residency thing is scaring me but apparently Boston is a good bet to which I say thank god. Wouldn't be able to see them otherwise. Fingers crossed. Need to finally see the band live.

I reckon some of you Yanks are going to have to learn to travel like those of us in many other countries have had to do for much of the band's history. :wink:

I don't really see any problem with residencies or consider them a slap in the face of a populist image - it's a fairly smart way to schedule a tour to avoid putting stress on the band, and they are big enough with a strong enough live reputation to know that people will travel to see them, even casual fans. I don't recall people accusing other bands who have done residency models of being elitist (though those who have done Vegas residencies have certainly been called washed up). In this age of high speed rail and air travel, there are few areas that will be more than 2-3 hours away from a U2 show, and with budget airlines common, many people would be able to travel to a U2 show in a different city for little more than the cost of petrol and parking anyway.

7 cities if we know 1 is Toronto.
Pretty safe that LA, NY, Chicago are there, that leaves 3 more.
Would guess Boston, San Francisco, Philly, DC, Seattle, Vancouver and Montreal all as possibilities for the final 3 stops.

Also would assume that they'd tour other cities besides the 7 and just do 1 night in those cities, maybe 2 in some.

Miami for sure.....

I reckon some of you Yanks are going to have to learn to travel like those of us in many other countries have had to do for much of the band's history. :wink:

I don't really see any problem with residencies or consider them a slap in the face of a populist image - it's a fairly smart way to schedule a tour to avoid putting stress on the band, and they are big enough with a strong enough live reputation to know that people will travel to see them, even casual fans. I don't recall people accusing other bands who have done residency models of being elitist (though those who have done Vegas residencies have certainly been called washed up). In this age of high speed rail and air travel, there are few areas that will be more than 2-3 hours away from a U2 show, and with budget airlines common, many people would be able to travel to a U2 show in a different city for little more than the cost of petrol and parking anyway.

All of these things are things that I agree with.

Ha! Considering that some states are quite large though, a cross-country trip could still be comparable to traveling between two different countries in, say, Europe. ;)

That and I'm sure not traveling as much as their age could have its perks too.

Ha! Considering that some states are quite large though, a cross-country trip could still be comparable to traveling between two different countries in, say, Europe. ;)

Which as Ax s saying, is what generally has to happen in Europe.

If you live in Darwin, or worse, a reasonable size town outside of Darwin, you have a 3 or 4 hour drive to Darwin airport, then 6 hour flight to either Brisbane, Sydney, Perth or Adelaide to see the band.

I hate the sound of this 7 city idea. God knows what they will do for europe

I was thinking of this too - if they were to do the same, it would probably be Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Paris.... and one more I cannot think of at the moment.

U2 Log just tweeted about what they are hearing for North America:

This is consisting with Elvis' info and is making me very, very excited! :hyper:

It will be disappointing for those not living in the 7 cities, though.

:up: sounds like a great idea, not dissimilar to Kate Bush's London residency recently... would be much easier logistically too i'm sure!

It's interesting that we already have rumours of the band playing Rome and Turin in Italy (via Joe O), when they'd only do one city if they were doing residencies - hell, just look at Elevation, where they did literally just one show in all Italy.

Plus Bono apparently said they'd visit Portugal on the tour, a country likely to miss out under a residency model.

So if these rumours are true, no residencies for Europe then?

It's interesting that we already have rumours of the band playing Rome and Turin in Italy (via Joe O), when they'd only do one city if they were doing residencies - hell, just look at Elevation, where they did literally just one show in all Italy.

Plus Bono apparently said they'd visit Portugal on the tour, a country likely to miss out under a residency model.

So if these rumours are true, no residencies for Europe then?

Guess not, logistically not sure how feasible it would be. But then I'm not involved in the process.

Wouldn't the cities that got 2 nights on the 360 tour in North america be good candidates for the residencies location?

Vegas is not Vegas of 30 years ago. They could easily do a residency at either MGM or Mandalay Bay, especially if it's part of a tour where they're doing residencies around the world, without the washed up stigma. Nobody's saying they should do the 5pm shoe at the Trop.

Too bad the new 20,000 seat arena won't be open until 2016 otherwise it would be a no brainer.

Alas... If it's really 7 cities, my bets would be
New York
Boston
Chicago
Toronto
Seattle/Vancouver
Miami
LA

Wouldn't the cities that got 2 nights on the 360 tour in North america be good candidates for the residencies location?

Which would be Chicago, Toronto, Boston, NYC, Montreal and LA.

Leaves one more. I'd bet that if those were the first 6, either Bay Area or PNW would be #7.

Vegas is not Vegas of 30 years ago. They could easily do a residency at either MGM or Mandalay Bay, especially if it's part of a tour where they're doing residencies around the world, without the washed up stigma. Nobody's saying they should do the 5pm shoe at the Trop.

Too bad the new 20,000 seat arena won't be open until 2016 otherwise it would be a no brainer.

Alas... If it's really 7 cities, my bets would be
New York
Boston
Chicago
Toronto
Seattle/Vancouver
Miami
LA

I just don't envison Miami making the cut. Yes the band like it there, but the demand there has never been as strong as in places like Montreal, San Franciso/Bay Area and others not on your list.

I, for one, am 100% fine taking Acela to NYC for a show or two.

As for the southeast, Atlanta is more centrally located than Miami, and easy-as-fuck to get to since it seems all flights go through ATL. Maybe? Also, Houston and Dallas are, like, the 4th and 5th biggest cities in the US. Another maybe?

And as for residencies, it seems that one of the points if the 360 Tour was to give everybody a chance to see them. Demand was pretty well satisfied. Now, they may want this tour to be something really different.

Sent from

Atlanta makes a ton of sense from a logistical standpoint, but I don't really see it as a big U2 city, and there's really no reason to go to Atlanta in general, so I'd still prefer Miami.

If this was, oh, maybe three to four years ago I would absolutely make a point to see a show in every city.

Alas, those days have come to an end

If it still stands that they need to dip into Canada (or other non-US locales) during a US tour for tax and/or immigration reasons, then I bet they'd do Vancouver over Seattle. Which would piss me off, but oh well.

Also, I had a dream last night that I was paging through one of the Seattle weekly papers and saw a ticket sale announcement. They were playing 9 dates in Seattle - 3 in June, 3 in July and 3 in August.

I woke up pissed that I was having U2 tour dreams already. Then I went to meditate to avoid an anxiety attack.*

*Kidding. So far.

So do you think they'd take a stab at doing full (or mostly full) albums? I could see it going something like:

Night 1: A few songs from SOI with a few older songs (IWF, Gloria, OOC, etc), then Joshua Tree, then encores

Night 2: Roughly the same SOI songs, different older songs, Achtung Baby, different encores

I just chose those 2 albums for the hell of it. They could probably try Boy, War, Rattle and Hum, or Zooropa instead. And knowing U2, they might say they're doing a full album but then leave out, oh, I don't know...Red Hill Mining Town or Acrobat, just to further mess with us...

It was bad enough when AB got played more than the new album on some legs of 360. And if they intend to play a full album, it had better be SOI.

Leave playing old full albums to legacy acts.

If the general sale is on November 22nd, we shouldn't be that far from a tour announcement. 2-3 weeks?

Probably. It will be interesting to see how this works. They would have to pick dates that aren't that far apart, but what if they sell 15 shows in New York? How do you pick the date to start in the next city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom