HBO Concert-What Should they Play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is a pretty big event for U2 fans coming up in Paris on 11/14. The reason being is that this will be the show that is pressed and sold as the representation of this (version) of the tour. This is the show that most of us will pull out in a year, 5 years or 10 years and say…"Here was U2 was like during the Innocence and Experience Tour".

So what do you want them to play, within reason, for this show? We know the staples that are set but what about the alternates and the ending?

For me:

Gloria: This is one of, if not THE, most energetic songs they play on tour. For me, it is second only to Streets. Mind you, I am not a big fan of this song but boy does it sound beautiful live and is a major highlight.

California: Its one of the best songs from the album and sounds really good live (I haven't heard it in person but on YouTube, so feel free to tell me otherwise if you were at a show and heard it)

October into New Years Day: One of their best transitions and even though it hasn't been done this tour, they have played both songs, so its fair game!

ZooStation: Love this song and its a cool version that they have done live

Magnificent: New re-tooled sound is really neat and a nice representation from NLOTH

One: There are a lot of people around here that hate this "karaoke" version of One but for those of us that have been to a show, it really is an amazing moment to hear 15k people singing along to every single word at the top of their lungs. I would go as far to say it was one of the defining moments of the show that is Innocence and Experience.

40: Close the show not with One but 40 and walk off the stage to the crowd (hopefully) singing along. I think they should end every show with this song as it defines not the tour but rather U2 live.

Honorary Mention: A transition of Bad into 40

Songs to avoid:

Volcano- Lacks the energy that it SHOULD have
Crystal Ballroom- Messy and does not due the album version any justice
Two Hearts Beat as One- I love the album version and hearing it played live (on YouTube) is really cool but it lacks a punch that should be there and one of the above songs would be better
Ordinary Love- It just puts me to sleep

Well, I think it's going to be a compilation of the first 3 shows stitched together as one. (which isn't surprising) But I'm not totally sure, saw that from one of the various U2 fan accounts so it might not be accurate.

Rotational slot: Out of Control
E-stage: Elevation -> New Year's Day

Closer: Bad -> 40

We know what fills in the rest. My long shot hopeful inclusions would be...

Zoo Station (this version is so fuckin' good!)
All I Want is You (coming in before WOWY, was amazing at LA4)
Magnificent (really liked the new version)

Prediction:

Set #1: Out of Control
Set #2: Elevation, (??)
Closer: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Yeah the broadcast will be stitched together from the first three shows. I know they won't, but they should do what other bands do and take advantage of filming multiple shows to put more songs on the DVD. I realise they are even more unlikely to go overboard and try to play every song in their repertoire, but it would be nice if they included a couple of the early rotations and maybe four of the E stage songs.

What they're likely to choose:
Early rotation: The Electric Co.
E stage: Elevation, Sweetest Thing (or Volcano, to squeeze on maximum SOI material)
Closer: One

What they should do (just sticking to songs currently in rotation, not those that have already vanished):
Early rotation: The Electric Co. and Gloria
E stage: Elevation, Sweetest Thing, All I Want Is You, New Year's Day
Closer: Bad, 40

Miracle
Electric Co
Gloria
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris
Cedarwood
Song For Someone
Sunday
Wolves
End Of The World

Invisible
Even Better
Mysterious Ways
Desire
Sweetest Thing
October
Every Breaking Wave
Bullet
Zooropa
Streets
Pride
With Or Without You
___

City
Beautiful Day
One

This is a pretty big event for U2 fans coming up in Paris on 11/14. The reason being is that this will be the show that is pressed and sold as the representation of this (version) of the tour

As mentioned already: Keep in mind that the HBO broadcast on 11/14 is not a live broadcast of the concert on this day .. more likely it will be an edit of Paris 1+2. The broadcast starts at 9 PM ET. The concert on 11/14 (converted to Eastern Time) will come to an end at approx. 5 PM ET. So they have some hours to inlcude material of show 3

So you could expect in Slot 2: Electric Co or Out of Control.

After Mysterious Ways (= 2nd rotation slot):

2 of those: Angel of Harlem, Desire, Elevation, Sweetest Thing (most likely selection of songs)

Maybe Volcano/California to promote additional SOI material.

Encore will be:

COBL
Beautiful Day
One

I'd love to see they are going for:

COBL
Beautiful Day
Bad

Interesting: 150 Minutes runtime according to HBO schedule:
http://www.hbo.com/schedule?focusId=789201&productIds=615136

Last edited:
As mentioned already: Keep in mind that the HBO broadcast on 11/14 is not a live broadcast of the concert on this day .. more likely it will be an edit of Paris 1+2. The broadcast starts at 9 PM ET. The concert on 11/14 (converted to Eastern Time) will come to an end at approx. 5 PM ET. So they have some hours to inlcude material of show 3

I didn't realize that and it's actually disappointing. I don't mind if they edit for the actual BluRay release but I have always loved watching the "live" show when available.

ZooTV was great and you get a real feel for the show without any editing or interruption and occasionally something that doesn't make the video(TTTYAATW).

I'm still excited but that's too bad it won't be a true "live" show :(

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Completely unrealistic request? Acrobat, of course :)
Somewhat more realistic it makes an appearance - Zoo Station (was in Berlin when they played it, was awesome and should definitely be played again on this tour).

150 minute runtime means they probably won't cut anything (thank God).

Guessing it will be a standard Leg 2 show. Toss up of Electric Co or Out of Control for slot 2. Will probably close with Karaoke One but I'm hoping they do Bad/"40" since that should play better on video. Also they dedicated the tour to Dennis Sheehan and "40" is his song.

Don't know about e stage. Elevation's been played the most, but Desire/Angel of Harlem is the most consistent combo. Maybe they'll cut it so we get Elevation/Desire on video?

Safe bet

THE MIRACLE
OUT OF CONTROL
VERTIGO
I WILL FOLLOW
IRIS
CEDARWOOD ROAD
SONG FOR SOMEONE
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD
INVISIBLE
EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING
MYSTERIOUS WAYS
ELEVATION
SWEETEST THING
EVERY BREAKING WAVE
OCTOBER
BULLET THE BLUE SKY
ZOOROPA
WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
PRIDE
WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
BEAUTIFUL DAY
ONE

Well, it's going to be the regular set with only the wild card slots being the possibility for options so I'd say play "Gloria" as the 2nd song, "Crystal Ballroom" and "Two Hearts Beat As One" as the B-Stage two-fers, keep "Zooropa" in the post BTBS slot and close with "Bad/40."

I'd buy that for a dollar!

october into Bullet is a must. i know those aren't really u2's well-known songs but they're amazing. I think they should play new Magnificent or even some tour debuts just for the surprises. or rarities like CB or, you know, full Zooropa

As much as I'd love to have another strong version of Electric Co, it's not the same without the Send In The Clowns and I Can See For Miles snippets, which I know they've had trouble releasing in the past. As such, I'd strongly suspect OOC to show up; though I'd be happier with Gloria since OOC got an outing back in '01.

I would also really like to see Volcano and Sweetest Thing in the rotational slots (given their likelier presence than others); but I predict, as most others have, that we'll get Elevation / one of Desire and AOH.

I'd also love to see Bad/40 as the closing pair, but agree with the sentiment here that we're more likely to get one or ISHFWILF.

I'm sure it'll be fairly standard, like all their other filmed/broadcasted/released concerts.

I'm not expecting anything totally crazy.

Edit: :der: I can't read. I didn't realize it was a "what do you WANT them to play" thread.

During the 5 identical shows on 360 when Rose Bowl was filmed, Unknown Caller returned after not being played for a while.

Lock in Ordinary Love.

Please no volcano or ordinary love. Would love to see a rarity on e stage. My fist pick would be zoo station (sounded great in berlin) and all I want is you. Realistically I would be happy with the angel / love town or desire / sweetest. Really don't need another official version of elevation.
Won't happen but would love to see electric co and gloria.
Biggest bonus would be the bad-40 ending. One and still haven't are both so underwhelming. It's either the best possible closer duo or just piss poor mail it in bore fest. I would bet on one though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app

Ha! Well it's either that or Desire and at this point I'll take Elevation.

Yep, it will be one of those two and then the second slot after it is up for grabs (Sweetest Thing, maybe?)

I see them going with Elevation although that's a little unfortunate given that it was featured on the primary video release from the last three tours as well. But it just goes over so damn well with the casual audience (or, truly, everybody) that they just can't ignore it.

I think Bad is what we'll potentially see in the "surprise" section or as a closer.

The Electric Co. seems like it will have the second slot in the bag. They should really go with Gloria though as Electric Co. and Out of Control have both made it onto home video releases this century. Gloria hasn't since Under A Blood Red Sky, no?

I see them going with Elevation although that's a little unfortunate given that it was featured on the primary video release from the last three tours as well. But it just goes over so damn well with the casual audience (or, truly, everybody) that they just can't ignore it.

It really is a highlight of the live U2 experience. It gets a lot of shade thrown at it around here but this song get ignite 90k people and get them to start singing.

Love it or hate it, there is non denying it's one of their best live performances.

I really wouldn't say that. Wide recognisability =/= one of their best live performances.

As an actual performance, there is basically nothing special about Elevation at all. It barely even improves on the studio version. It's not as if it's a Bad or Streets or One Tree Hill or 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Hell, it's more a Pride - a song that stays in the set not for its good live qualities but for its recognisability. If you were choosing songs purely based on how good they sound on stage, irrespective of audience reaction, you wouldn't choose Pride and you wouldn't have kept Elevation around for 15 years.

It'll be the safest set list of the tour.

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
The Electric Co.
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World
Invisible
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Desire
Every Breaking Wave
October
Bullet The Blue Sky
Zooropa
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
With Or Without You

City Of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Mother And Child Reunion-One

I really wouldn't say that. Wide recognisability =/= one of their best live performances.

As an actual performance, there is basically nothing special about Elevation at all. It barely even improves on the studio version. It's not as if it's a Bad or Streets or One Tree Hill or 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Hell, it's more a Pride - a song that stays in the set not for its good live qualities but for its recognisability. If you were choosing songs purely based on how good they sound on stage, irrespective of audience reaction, you wouldn't choose Pride and you wouldn't have kept Elevation around for 15 years.

Performance was the wrong word. What I should have said was crowd reaction and response. Elevation had a better reaction live then almost any other U2 song save for the Streets,Pride,Bad, W/W you types.

Performance wise, you are correct in that it typically doesn't stray too far from the album but is still good(not great or epic) but the crowds, everywhere, love this song. As for it being because its recognizable, I don't think it was a hit in most places if any and in the US it didn't crack the Hot 100(107 ish is as high as it got I think). Yes, it was featured in a movie but it's not like Tomb Raider was Star Wars. I would say Beautiful Day and Vertigo were much more recognizable but Elevation gets a bigger response than both of those songs too(not to say those songs don't get a big response).

As for Pride, I actually love the performance and would say it is second only to Streets in the U2 live world when combining performance and reaction. It sounds awesome live and that guitar just bounces off the walls and smacks you right in the face!! I know a lot of people around here want it retired for a tour but that would really be a shame(song still gives me chills live).

Isn't the broadcast two hours long? If that's the case then what's going to get cut?

I say:
the first rotational slot
until the end of the world
one of the e stage songs
zooropa
i will follow

Back
Top Bottom