Earplugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hibricc

Refugee
I've found it necessary to wear earplugs on the last three tours to prevent next-day ringing. Any thoughts on their necessity this time around with the new speaker setup? I'm particularly interested to hear from fans who have worn plugs before... thanks!

I found at the Vancouver shows that sound was pretty clear but the need for earplugs will vary depending on where on the floor. When I was on the North side near the main stage, volume was fine w/o earplugs. Next night when I was at the e-stage, I needed to put in earplugs.

I worry that I'm losing a little hearing, because I was super surprised when I heard people say it was the loudest arena show they'd ever attended. I've seen 4 shows (2 in seats, 2 on floor), and did not feel the need for earplugs once.

Should I have worn them? Yes, you should always wear them at a loud concert. Do I? .... :reject:

I always wear earplugs for gigs, though last tour I didn't for the main show as I was never completely in front. This time around, I'm thinking of wearing them anyway. Bought fancy new ones that are supposed to be specially for music so filter better.

What kinds do you guys use?

Should I have worn them? Yes, you should always wear them at a loud concert. Do I? .... :reject:

shame-award-112440855821-1.jpg

I use Etymotics. Etymotic Research | ETY•Plugs® Earplugs

They are fantastic. I've also tried Dubs, and like those as well.

Ditto. I have Etymotics ER20s that I bought back on Elevation. They knock down the sound level about 20dB, and the music actually sounds clearer to my ears - and Bono's rants are actually easier to understand (that may not be a good thing, of course).

Wear them. This tour is loud as fuck. The high end is absolutely brutal at times.

Last edited:
I use Etymotics. Etymotic Research | ETY•Plugs® Earplugs

They are fantastic. I've also tried Dubs, and like those as well.

That said, the sound really was fantastic. The vocals especially, were so crisp and clear.

OH sweet, that's exactly the plugs I just bought for this tour. :D It's a little early as my gigs are in September but I felt I needed an upgrade from the foam ones I've used for the past 5 years.

I can't fit them in my ears, they just won't stay in there, same with in-ear headphones.

But I saw plenty of hardcore punk gigs and Dinosaur Jr a few times back in the early 90s, I think I can cope with a couple of U2 gigs especially since going to concerts happens so rarely for me these days.

I have tinnitus and it sucks. Though mine didn't come from loud music (I don't think, anyway), I definitely recommend getting earplugs. Not worth the risk.

Actually, I've never felt the need to use ear plugs at a U2 show and usually stadiums aren't a problem since the sound can be distorted or dissipate a bit. After LA3 I knew I couldn't go to LA4 without them. Although my friend went to both also, didn't use them and had no ringing in the ears.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I have tinnitus and it sucks. Though mine didn't come from loud music (I don't think, anyway), I definitely recommend getting earplugs. Not worth the risk.

Yup. I have it too, and oddly, in my case, not from loud music either. Anyone who doesn't protect their hearing at a concert is a fool. Once you have tinnitus, it doesn't go away. If you're experiencing buzzing or ringing for hours or days after shows, you're probably on the verge, and one of these times, it won't go away. Even just drugstore foam earplugs are better than nothing. I find they block out a lot of the noise and let me hear the music with more clarity.

I maintain everyone should wear plugs at gigs, and not just to protect your hearing - shows sound better if you're wearing good, attenuated plugs. Avoid that foam shit; generic attenuated plugs really don't cost much and last forever. They cut out some of the problems of acoustics or poor mixing that you get in a lot of venues. So often I attend a gig and think it sounds amazing, only to briefly remove my plugs and be almost unable to hear the vocalist or one of the instruments, and afterwards somebody who didn't have plugs complains about how they found the whole sound muddy or whatever.

I wish I'd started routine use of plugs earlier, when I became a regular gig-goer, rather than when I was 23 and had already done damage to my ears. Fortunately I can only hear my tinnitus in very quiet environments, but my hearing in general isn't as flash as I would like it to be.

I've worn earplugs to concerts for decades. I just use the Purafits, the green ones. I had ear surgery at the end of April and when my doc was clearing me to go to shows, I showed her the Purafits and she said they were fine. She said they cut about 30 decibels.

Before my surgery, she said I'd done a good job of protecting my hearing and my loss in my left ear wasn't due to concerts.

Earplugs are a good idea. Had them....but forgot them at home day of show!:doh: Last LA show was LOUD. My ears weren't ringing but by the end of it I was covering my ears. Learned my lesson!

Most of the U2 shows I've ever seen have been a bit louder to some degree than most other arena/stadium shows w/other bands. I remember the Unforgettable Fire tour show I saw at the LA Sports Arena in early '85 was pretty loud and the LA Coliseum Joshua Tree tour show I saw in late '87 had amazing loud and clear bass on the floor/field just in front of the soundboard tent. Indoor Elevation and Vertigo arena shows were pretty typical sound for their respective venues but I vividly recall how incredibly loud but perfectly balanced the 360 tour show at the Rose Bowl was. That was probably the best sounding stadium show I ever caught.

This tour, at least the 2 LA Forum shows I caught, the sound is *very* loud and cutting on the high end - my hearing on the drive home after the first show was like hearing a tv broadcasting white noise and I was so glad I used earplugs for the second show. It might have something to do with the way the suspended speakers are angled downward to what is basically the concrete floor and loge seats. The Arcade Fire show I saw at the Forum about a year ago had much better, more balanced sound, at least on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom