2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am more confident - if they weren't very sure they would finish it, there is no way they would abandon the tour

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Nah, they can just as easily pull the plug on next fall's rumored North American tour for the same reason. There is no reason to feel confident about anything, because U2. Then it'll be the Innocence & Experience Tour 2015, 2017. It really sucks that they're doing this, but it's not at all surprising. I also won't be surprised if SOE doesn't come out for a couple years, and that these Dublin and Paris shows are the last U2 shows for a few years. However, they very well may have the album ready for September, as Corbijn said, and continue with the NA tour next fall. ALL scenarios are possible with this band.

I don't get too worried about what they do anymore, because I feel like we're in the "icing on the cake" phase. They could've ended after 360, having given us 30 great years, and that would've been a fitting and triumphant way to end their career. But here they are, still writing and recording, still performing shows with a sense of purpose, with all 4 original members... we U2 fans are very lucky.

While I agree it isn't guaranteed - very similar paths were walked on 360, and they thought they could finish while touring. We all know how that turned out. This at least shows a commitment to getting it done, which is a step in the right direction

I don't get too worried about what they do anymore, because I feel like we're in the "icing on the cake" phase. They could've ended after 360, having given us 30 great years, and that would've been a fitting and triumphant way to end their career. But here they are, still writing and recording, still performing shows with a sense of purpose, with all 4 original members... we U2 fans are very lucky.

I hope they never think of stopping until sometime after 2030. In my opinion, stopping at any point prior to 2030 would be disappointing and premature. The Stones, Fleetwood Mac, and Aerosmith are all a decade or more older than U2 and they are all still rollin.

I hope they never think of stopping until sometime after 2030. In my opinion, stopping at any point prior to 2030 would be disappointing and premature. The Stones, Fleetwood Mac, and Aerosmith are all a decade or more older than U2 and they are all still rollin.

I hope they stay together until then. Adam and Bono will turn 70 that year, Larry and Edge will turn 69. 70 is not a death sentence, and I know plenty of men in their 70s who lead active, fulfilling lives. I think they will still be together, unless a band member has health issues. It's easy to say as a young man "I don't want to be touring when I'm 65-70 like the Stones", which U2 members have said. But what happens when you turn 65-70, and you realize you're still able and willing, and the audience is still willing to shell out for tickets to your show?

The difference is U2 pretty much has to be the 4 of them. They aren't like Aerosmith. Aerosmith have had the same lineup since the early 70s (minus that era in the early 80s where Joe Perry quit and then came back), but only Joe Perry and Steven Tyler are necessary for the show to go on. The other 3 members (other guitarist, bassist and drummer) all have had health ailments in recent years that have forced them to sit out shows, and replacements were called in. I can't see U2 doing that.

U2 also couldn't do what ACDC did for this album/tour. If Adam Clayton was suddenly unable to perform due to health issues, they wouldn't just have Sebastian Clayton step in and take his spot.

I really do believe that U2 will stay together as long as all 4 of them are in good health. At this point, the only way out of the band for them is in a casket (or, I suppose, if they became drug-induced nut jobs like ACDC's previous drummer Phil Rudd).

I hate these bummer discussions about 'the end' but I guess I should stop being in denial about how long they can do this?
I'd be very happy if they committed more to recording and didn't worry about making every album/tour a big, blow-out event. Touring is really dependent on Bono and Larry's physicality as they have the most demanding jobs. I guess I don't really see a scenario where they officially disband and say 'we aren't together anymore'...I hope they never close the door on making music together ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I'm OK with this news.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Me too. I'm about to get a place for myself so I'll be broke af for a while, so having a longer time to save up is rather nice. I was already dreading the horror of another holiday season ticket sale.. I really wouldn't be able to do many shows if that happened again.

While I agree it isn't guaranteed - very similar paths were walked on 360, and they thought they could finish while touring. We all know how that turned out. This at least shows a commitment to getting it done, which is a step in the right direction

And a leg of Elevation was scrapped because they just had to get back into the studio.

And a leg of Elevation was scrapped because they just had to get back into the studio.

The official word at the time was that it was too expensive to bring the indoor show to the Southern Hemisphere. I remember it vividly - it was reported here the day of Bob's funeral.

I think the reason they cancelled the 2002 European/South American stadium tour was because they wanted to finish the Chris Thomas album #11 and have it out so that they could do that tour in 2003 instead, but behind a new album.

Then 2003 became 2004. I remember an interview where Larry told somebody that they'd be playing Oslo, Norway in the summer of 2004. Finally the stadium tour happened in 2005!

It's funny how this band can just let YEARS go by without releasing music or playing shows. I'm not complaining because everything we've got I've been quite happy with, but it does seem odd.

So, the tour is over now. Let me shar a few thoughts about it. I experienced the show personally in Berlin and I listened to a few bootlegs. My strongest impression is that the band in their mid 50´s still got it. Especially Bono, despite his bike accident, was in top form. I would say best in years, that´s still a major shock after his hard struggle during Popmart and Elevation. The rest of the band was ok, Edge seemed to be unrehearsed in the beginnig of the tour but as the tour went on he improved. Adam wasn ´t afraid to step in the front with his badass sound, which was very positive, because he is the boss :) Larry was flawless as usually.

The show worked pretty well in its concept. Disappointing thing is that the band prooved they are able to rehearse a new song very well, nevertheless they still stick to the old ones. Spanish Eyes was in my opinion the best ever this tour. Magnificent was improved drastically. Two Hearts was a fresh wind to the rotation spot at the beginning of the show. Miracle Drug was a lot better than ever and it could have replaced Blinding Lights every other show. All I Want is You was nice, so was New Year´s Day. They didn´t bother to try Reach Me Now live which was also a let down for me. Nevertheless, the band even performed unexpected songs like Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer a few times. Volcano, California and Troubles got only a very limited number of playing. My question is: why on earth do they invest so much time and energy to make all those songs work live, succeed in it and then suddenly drop them from the setlist for good? Why? Did they expect those songs recieve as much noise and cheer from the crowd as Pride or Streets? Is this the main goal of their show? The band was probably very disappointed by the reception of the new album by the media and fans so they lost belief in these songs along the way, so they dropped them.

I was very surprised by the awesomeness of the Songs of Innocence, I thought the band won´t be able to release such an amazing record in this stage of their career. My only complain is that their unsatiable ambition for hugeness. Megalomany. It is still sooo important for them... But I think, in the end it makes things more complicated for them and for real fans, too...

Nearly every Irish person I spoke to in Dublin last week said they hated U2, bar staff, restraunt waiters, taxis drivers etc. All I heard from one of the taxi drivers was "fecking Bono can feck off, fecking Adam Clayton opening that new Claytons hotel, they don't pay any fecking tax etc etc. :-(

Ha, I just don't get it. Was it like that in the Elevation days? 360 even?

Ha, I just don't get it. Was it like that in the Elevation days? 360 even?
I don't know, I was only in Dublin last week visiting for the concerts. I think though they're more "hated" these days. I actually got the feeling Bono on stage was also quite apprehensive of the home crowd.

So, the tour is over now. Let me shar a few thoughts about it. I experienced the show personally in Berlin and I listened to a few bootlegs. My strongest impression is that the band in their mid 50´s still got it. Especially Bono, despite his bike accident, was in top form. I would say best in years, that´s still a major shock after his hard struggle during Popmart and Elevation. The rest of the band was ok, Edge seemed to be unrehearsed in the beginnig of the tour but as the tour went on he improved. Adam wasn ´t afraid to step in the front with his badass sound, which was very positive, because he is the boss :) Larry was flawless as usually.

The show worked pretty well in its concept. Disappointing thing is that the band prooved they are able to rehearse a new song very well, nevertheless they still stick to the old ones. Spanish Eyes was in my opinion the best ever this tour. Magnificent was improved drastically. Two Hearts was a fresh wind to the rotation spot at the beginning of the show. Miracle Drug was a lot better than ever and it could have replaced Blinding Lights every other show. All I Want is You was nice, so was New Year´s Day. They didn´t bother to try Reach Me Now live which was also a let down for me. Nevertheless, the band even performed unexpected songs like Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer a few times. Volcano, California and Troubles got only a very limited number of playing. My question is: why on earth do they invest so much time and energy to make all those songs work live, succeed in it and then suddenly drop them from the setlist for good? Why? Did they expect those songs recieve as much noise and cheer from the crowd as Pride or Streets? Is this the main goal of their show? The band was probably very disappointed by the reception of the new album by the media and fans so they lost belief in these songs along the way, so they dropped them.

I was very surprised by the awesomeness of the Songs of Innocence, I thought the band won´t be able to release such an amazing record in this stage of their career. My only complain is that their unsatiable ambition for hugeness. Megalomany. It is still sooo important for them... But I think, in the end it makes things more complicated for them and for real fans, too...

It's funny because the band always talk about how the crowd are responding really well to SOI in a live setting. But WTF, they only play 6 songs regularly. Volcano got maybe 10 plays, and they really seemed like they could care less about playing. California got 3 plays, The Troubles got 4, Crystal Ballroom 2 and Lucifer's Hands 3. EBW was only Bono and Edge solo, which is lame. They should've either done the album version, or the version from the MTV Euro Awards where Larry and Adam come in towards the end. "Soldier", possibly the song I was most excited about, didn't even get played live.

It's funny because the band always talk about how the crowd are responding really well to SOI in a live setting. But WTF, they only play 6 songs regularly. Volcano got maybe 10 plays, and they really seemed like they could care less about playing. California got 3 plays, The Troubles got 4, Crystal Ballroom 2 and Lucifer's Hands 3. EBW was only Bono and Edge solo, which is lame. They should've either done the album version, or the version from the MTV Euro Awards where Larry and Adam come in towards the end. "Soldier", possibly the song I was most excited about, didn't even get played live.

I cannot agree more! :up: So many great live songs. But they gave them only a very limited opportunity in the set. Pleasing casual fans with greatest hits seems to be the main goal for U2 with their show. I can live without them playing rarities. I´m not so into "let´s wish they play Acrobat" stuff, but promoting the new songs should be the priority nr 1 for the band.

Last edited:
Nearly every Irish person I spoke to in Dublin last week said they hated U2, bar staff, restraunt waiters, taxis drivers etc. All I heard from one of the taxi drivers was "fecking Bono can feck off, fecking Adam Clayton opening that new Claytons hotel, they don't pay any fecking tax etc etc. :-(

Funny - I talked to many locals and no one said anything negative about them.

It's funny because the band always talk about how the crowd are responding really well to SOI in a live setting. But WTF, they only play 6 songs regularly.

"Only" six regularly? Some bands are lucky to play one or two new songs at a show.

I was never big on songs like Iris off the CD, but that and the others did seem to work rather well in a live setting.

Back
Top Bottom