2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so excited when I heard Ballroom was played. I was so let down when I actually listened to it. It felt very rushed. There was hardly any groove, funkiness, cool vibes like on the record. The drums were also a bit lost. There wasn´t that joyful part before the solo. The solo unfortunately remained uninspired in the live version, too. Not too much good to say about it... Lots of room for improvement.

tumblr_njuashPlaK1rodz1bo1_500.jpg

Really, critiquing the live mix of a song from a recording on a phone? There's no way to judge that. Actually, there is: given the source, the song sounded pretty good! I bet it was great there. Edge's solo is better than on the album version, and Bono's singing is more...normal. He doesn't breathlessly whimper the lyrics, which is nice. Hopefully the song stays in the show and moves from the e stage to the main stage.

Now, what the fuck is with TIWYCRMN not being preformed?????? I guess I can understand Sleep Like a Baby, but it would be great going into WOWY.

@the people who say the bass is not prominent on the live version of Crystal Ballroom: there's no way to tell based on a recording from a phone.

Haven't posted in a while, so I'll give my two cents:

I'm all for setlist variety, and I think they're doing a good job on this tour, but I'm not sure if I'd actually prefer a scenario in which 50% of the set changes from night to night with less 'new' songs rather than the current way they're doing it. Everything goes on the e-stage but man the rest of the set is incredibly stale. That's probably because it works well live and to be honest I'd be pretty happy with the set even if it doesn't change before the tour reaches Europe. It's not so much a complaint, just a thought.

My only 'real' complaints are that California and The Troubles are very underplayed, and that the band is trapped in a cage whilst performing Invisible and EBTTRT, two songs that need Bono bouncing around and doing his thing. It seems incredibly static from the videos I've seen - but of course, I'll probably have a different opinion after having seen the show.

One last thing: I've seen maybe six or seven different Youtube clips of Electric Co., and I get goosebumps EVERY TIME. I've seen U2 twelve times but never heard Out of Control but at this point I'd rather hear Electric Co. again for the first time in 10 years. That song is such a classic.

My only 'real' complaints are that California and The Troubles are very underplayed, and that the band is trapped in a cage whilst performing Invisible and EBTTRT, two songs that need Bono bouncing around and doing his thing. It seems incredibly static from the videos I've seen - but of course, I'll probably have a different opinion after having seen the show.

Weirdly enough, EBTTRT has been a highlight for me on this tour. Probably has something to do with the video effects during the first part and the fact that they kept it in the same key as the 2011 version. But yeah, I've enjoyed it every time.

One last thing: I've seen maybe six or seven different Youtube clips of Electric Co., and I get goosebumps EVERY TIME. I've seen U2 twelve times but never heard Out of Control but at this point I'd rather hear Electric Co. again for the first time in 10 years. That song is such a classic.

I was never a huge fan of it before this tour. But now, I absolutely am. It's really terrific live, especially up close and personal!

I was so excited when I heard Ballroom was played. I was so let down when I actually listened to it. It felt very rushed. There was hardly any groove, funkiness, cool vibes like on the record. The drums were also a bit lost. There wasn´t that joyful part before the solo. The solo unfortunately remained uninspired in the live version, too. Not too much good to say about it... Lots of room for improvement.

1fd571f128531003aae26c1be65c8767.jpg

Just put two and two together that the days my girlfriend and her family are going to NYC for her Voice audition are the days of the first two MSG shows. I'm supposed to go to NYC with them if a new job doesn't get in the way. I hope this works out and I can end up going.

Weirdly enough, EBTTRT has been a highlight for me on this tour. Probably has something to do with the video effects during the first part and the fact that they kept it in the same key as the 2011 version. But yeah, I've enjoyed it every time.

That's great to hear :up:
I'm sure the band wouldn't keep doing it for so many nights in a row if it didn't work, it just looks... off, is my best way of putting it. I was imagining something akin to the video for Invisible, not a band being stuck 10 feet in the air. But it's great to hear it actually works.

Totally off topic but don't know where else to ask. Doesn't bother me at all but why do you think they chose to go without a support act? Quite unusual these days no? They felt it would affect the theme of the show? They wanted to get to bed at a reasonable hour? Just kidding, but I am curious

It is strange because they aren't really playing any longer than they ever did. I think they probably just didn't want to pay another band. By going the arena route, they're making a lot less money per show, thus more money for them.

With all the anti-U2 sentiment in the press, I'm surprised somebody hasn't made an issue of this. U2 say they want to help younger, less established bands get paid. Well they'd get paid if they opened for U2, AND get some major exposure. The same way other bands let U2 open for them in the early days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I don't have to stand through another Damien Marley or Interpol opening set, but it does seem a little bit hypocritical.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it's a big stretch to call it hypocritical. It's not like they've just hit the big time and are all "fuck you, we got ours!" They've been "supporting" up-and-coming bands for years now.

But anyway, with Live Nation at the helm how up-and-coming would those bands really be? Did Lenny Kravitz or Black Eyed Peas really need money and exposure on 360? I think the days of them bringing out young(er) bands for exposure have long since passed.

Don't think the lack of an opening act has to do with not wanting to pay another band. I know it's a business but I don't think they would be that concerned about paying an opening act. Has to be something else. Like I said doesn't bother me, and thankfully won't have to sit through Interpol again. No offense to anyone who likes them, just not my thing

That's unfortunate. What section were you at? It sounded pretty damn awesome in GA.

Don't think the lack of an opening act has to do with not wanting to pay another band. I know it's a business but I don't think they would be that concerned about paying an opening act. Has to be something else. Like I said doesn't bother me, and thankfully won't have to sit through Interpol again. No offense to anyone who likes them, just not my thing

I think it was part of their grand scheme go have rotating set lists and be able to perform a different show every night, perhaps longer sets... which all fell apart at the end.

I'm thinking it's either because of the screen/stage setup or just that for some reason the changeover would take too long.

Yeah if you like Bono's microphone too loud, Edge's guitar too soft, and Larry's drums barely heard at all, then the recording mix is wonderful. Hopefully, they do their next live album like this!

Have any real pros recorded Chicago 3 or 4? I can't find a good recording anywhere. RBW and Cedarwood Road have no punch in these handheld cameras.

Yeah if you like Bono's microphone too loud, Edge's guitar too soft, and Larry's drums barely heard at all, then the recording mix is wonderful. Hopefully, they do their next live album like this!

Have any real pros recorded Chicago 3 or 4? I can't find a good recording anywhere. RBW and Cedarwood Road have no punch in these handheld cameras.

I haven't seen this particular video yet, but I was going to say that if someone had a nice-sounding bootleg and video editing software, they could probably upload the clip again with some decent audio on them. You might not get the crowd that was specifically around you anymore, but it might come across a bit better audio-wise.

I thought The Crystal Ballroom sounded pretty great for it's first performance.
My wife & I were 10' from e-stage when it was performed, sounded great! Could it use some work- sure but it was a great debut. You can tell they were rehearsing it. No major flub ups. Bono went into the first refrain early and Adam gave Edge a really funny look. I'd love to see this after 10-12 performances when they'd really find their comfort. Like right now, Raised By Wolves is sounding amazing & the performance, stage presence is tight.

That clip has "better audio" as he did record it separately. Have you taped before? You know that you are subject to the sounds coming out of the PA. Tim has a decent enough setup, I trust it was more the issue with the mix than the recording.

That clip has "better audio" as he did record it separately. Have you taped before? You know that you are subject to the sounds coming out of the PA. Tim has a decent enough setup, I trust it was more the issue with the mix than the recording.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good recording. Much better than anything else I've heard, but it doesn't reflect the actual sound quality of the show. That's just a limitation of an audience recording.

In general, this what I find wrong with audience recordings.

- Bono's lower frequencies are missed all together. Whenever I see U2 live, I'm always surprised how much stronger, richer, and deeper Bono sounds compared to audience recordings. But the audience recordings always seem to pick up the treble range of his echo which is annoying.

- Larry's bass drum and snares get through fine in the recording, but the toms? never seem get through properly.

- The full range of Adam's bass is never recorded properly unless it's a soundboard. He is such a fundamental piece of the sound, but yet without him recorded properly, the songs always come off tinny and empty sounding. The same with the power chords for Edge's guitar. They lack proper bass and the punch compared to the actual sound. That's why I've yet to hear a proper CR or RBW recording, and I doubt I ever will unless it's official.

So when people tell me a performance sounds flat or empty from an audience recording, this is why. Sure CB wasn't performed or mixed perfectly, but jumping to conclusions and then expressing disappointment from amateur quality audio recordings is unwise considering the limitations of the audio source.

Last edited:
Crazy random question - are there rails at that back of Red Zone that one could lean on? I have back issues and having a rail will make things a great deal more comfortable for me, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the lining up/texting from miles away/telepathically adding myself to the line bs. Can anyone point me to any pictures of the Red Zone area?

Cedarwood never had punch :)

My wife & I were 10' from e-stage when it was performed, sounded great! Could it use some work- sure but it was a great debut. You can tell they were rehearsing it. No major flub ups. Bono went into the first refrain early and Adam gave Edge a really funny look. I'd love to see this after 10-12 performances when they'd really find their comfort. Like right now, Raised By Wolves is sounding amazing & the performance, stage presence is tight.

Yep, exactly, Bono was too quick :lol: I wonder how did it affect the pre-recorded track

Crazy random question - are there rails at that back of Red Zone that one could lean on? I have back issues and having a rail will make things a great deal more comfortable for me, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the lining up/texting from miles away/telepathically adding myself to the line bs. Can anyone point me to any pictures of the Red Zone area?

In Phoenix, there were. If you were on the sides in the "back" of GA (which honestly was maybe like 10 heads back from the rail if that), there was a rail/barrier between GA and Red Zone.

Here's a view of the RZ barriers. You can see people claim that rail fairy quickly too, so you would want to arrive pretty soon after doors open. (Not my picture, stolen from the interwebz)

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1435802893.523383.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom