Coimbra 2 Setlist Party Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't expect any sort of comment or report on the situation from U2.com - I can imagine this isn't the first "bad day" he's had, maybe just the one that was most obvious? I can only imagine the :panic: that would ensue if U2.com came out and said "Bono's back was hurting during the Coimbra show."

I don't think there'd still be ongoing rumors of new cities and countries for the tour if they had any doubts about his recovery. But I suppose it's not beyond belief that he'll have a bad day here or there, despite the German Engineering we've been seeing on display onstage. :)

Well, I don't think he planned his original injury either. I'm just hoping it was an isolated thing. But these videos have been rough to watch.

Well, I don't think he planned his original injury either.

Yeah, I know. :(

That was meant as a belated response to a few comments I'd read about "gosh, I hope U2.com says something about it." Maybe I'd misread them.

I'm just trying to keep positive and not end up in a fetal position in the middle of a pile of all my U2 crap, shaking and crying and waiting for news.

jeesus christ those videos are scary and upsetting... i hope B hasn't overdone it! is he/are they just gonna keep singing/playing til he literally keels over or something ffs?!

So far, the tour schedule hasn't been very tight, which left Bono enough time between shows to recover, to do rehab, to have checkups and so on. However, because of the postponement of the Seville show, there were several concerts within days, so that may have led to him overdoing it. He seemed to be very fine for Coimbra I, but in the second show something was obviously VERY wrong with him. I hope they can sort it out and he'll be fine for Rome on Friday, he has a few days to recover, however, he should definitely use the time between the last show and the first show in NZ to get A LOT of rest. I'm actually not very surprised that he's still having problems, considering how little time has passed since his injury and surgery, and how many concerts they've played in the last weeks. I just hope and pray that the Rome show won't be affected. It's only one more show to go and it would be very hard for me to watch Bono perform in pain :sad:

I just hope and pray that the Rome show won't be affected. It's only one more show to go and it would be very hard for me to watch Bono perform in pain

LU, with all due respect, but i think people should be thinking of Bono's wellbeing here, not the fans

Um sorry, but I think my message was quite clear: It would be hard for me to watch Bono perform in pain. Where did I say anything about the fans being more important than Bono's health? Of course everyone going to Rome from abroad is hoping the show will go ahead, but only with Bono in good health.

I think I've always been very clear on this forum about Bono's wellbeing being more important to me than the fans, from the very day we got the news about his surgery.

in the second show something was obviously VERY wrong with him.

Yeah, but either he recovered quickly, he took some very fast-acting painkillers, or he hid his discomfort very well after being unable to during Magnificent. He seemed fine to me later in the show, back to his usual Bono brilliance.

I wouldn't get too alarmed, or alarmed at all tbh. Admittedly I was very concerned during Magnificent, and you can all see why in that video, but Bono really seemed to be in great form by the end of the show. He danced off the stage twirling an umbrella singing Singing in the Rain after Moment of Surrender, and he seemed to be really enjoying himself. Actually, they played Singing in the Rain through the sound system at the end instead of Space Oddity which was a very nice touch.

Well, I don't think he planned his original injury either. I'm just hoping it was an isolated thing. But these videos have been rough to watch.

As cathal said, (hey Cathal, mr VIP author, hope you enjoyed the VIP treatment ;)), he was in obvious pain but was great by the end of the show doing 'singing in the rain" . I was by edge's red zone then and didn't see him go by after, just the umbrella in the air as fans were cheering. It absolutely looked like a coughing fit throat tickle at the time but coughing can lead to back spasms unfortunately which is not a good thing 3-4 months after major back surgery but I just coudln't get over how much energy he still had and it scared the crap out of me some of the things he did like sitting and swinging on the UV mike! I think he is fine but the rest after Rome till Australia (bono, rest? yeah right!!!) may be very helpful.
By the way, when they started "Boy Falls from the Sky", all I could think of was you guys going nuts on the setlist party and had a little smile about it! !!:D:D:D:drool:drool:happydance:happydance:

Yeah, but either he recovered quickly, he took some very fast-acting painkillers, or he hid his discomfort very well after being unable to during Magnificent. He seemed fine to me later in the show, back to his usual Bono brilliance.

I wouldn't get too alarmed, or alarmed at all tbh. Admittedly I was very concerned during Magnificent, and you can all see why in that video, but Bono really seemed to be in great form by the end of the show. He danced off the stage twirling an umbrella singing Singing in the Rain after Moment of Surrender, and he seemed to be really enjoying himself. Actually, they played Singing in the Rain through the sound system at the end instead of Space Oddity which was a very nice touch.

That's reassuring, thank you :)

Someone else on another board was saying it was clearly not a problem with his back but instead he seemed unable to stop coughing and lost his voice. If you have a coughing fit, your whole body is affected, you get sick to your stomach and feel like throwing up. It can cause cramps. You cannot talk, let alone sing, and feel like choking. I've had that many times. Drinking water does indeed help, but it takes A LOT of water and some time before it's getting better. The voice needs some time to recover. Now I'm not trying to downplay it, but if you have a back issue like Bono has I would assume that the area is especially affected by something like that, after all he had surgery and a wound. I think his back/wound would have hurt from coughing so much.

The only thing that really got me worried was the limping comment. Of course he could have just hurt his foot by taking a wrong step - we all know he's clumsy - but the injury actually affected his left leg, so it's a little worrying to hear he was limping during the concert. Was there any limp later on in the show?

but coughing can lead to back spasms unfortunately which is not a good thing 3-4 months after major back surgery

edit: Just saw your comment. That's exactly what I meant, you beat me to it :)

That's reassuring, thank you :)

You're very welcome! But I reckon all this speculation and concern is unnecessary imo, Miss Unicorn.

I suspect you probably won't, but try to forget about Bono's probs during Magnificent on Sunday! I'm sure he will perform in Rome on Friday, he'll be fantastic as always, and you'll have a f*ckin great time! :)

I wouldn't expect any sort of comment or report on the situation from U2.com - I can imagine this isn't the first "bad day" he's had, maybe just the one that was most obvious? I can only imagine the :panic: that would ensue if U2.com came out and said "Bono's back was hurting during the Coimbra show."

I don't know if he's ever shown such discomfort onstage before, maybe others know?

He made worrying pained grimaces onstage in front of 50,000, with thousands more watching on YouTube. Bono is loved by millions. There would be far fewer little yellow circular people with no legs spinning around waving their hands in the air if U2.com casually mentioned that Bono had a <Insert issue> during Magnificent, but recovered quickly to sing the rest of the concert superbly. Move along, nothing to see.

It's a bit like FIFA not mentioning a very contentious issue in a match report on their website, when everyone knows it was the *major* talking point of the event.

I don't know if he's ever shown such discomfort onstage before, maybe others know?

J.Tree 'Fall leg' had its moments. I seem to remember one particular concert where he gave a 'female stage invader' a bit of stick for grabbing his busted shoulder, it was possibly Buffalo, NY, he had a really rough night of it with his voice on that show

You can read the proof of my foot kicking your arse!

You'll have to catch me first Rocketman

I thought we weren't allowed to start setlist parties until their respective showday? :wink: We can party on here though.

Yeah, I still do wonder what was up but to me it looked nothing like back pain. :shrug: And my take on it is that we're not ever going to figure it out since there won't be an official statement about it and there are no scheduled interviews. So it's probably best to stop speculating before things get out of hand(press quoting us again, for example).

Is the bootleg out yet? :D

There would be far fewer little yellow circular people with no legs spinning around waving their hands in the air if U2.com casually mentioned that Bono had a <Insert issue> during Magnificent, but recovered quickly to sing the rest of the concert superbly. Move along, nothing to see.

You are wise and reasonable. And also kind of awesome, but that's probably best saved for another thread. I'd hate to get all off-topic by fawning all over you in here. :wink:

wedding_bells-2174.jpg

Back
Top Bottom