Barcelona I Setlist Party (and show discussion & thoughts) Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the mistake that many of you are making is the assumption that U2 has much desire to cater to the "hardcore" fans that petulantly demand shows comprised almost entirely of obscure songs. Before I continue, I've seen a ton of shows and have my own list of rare songs that I'd love to hear. However, I know that I and many of you comprise a tiny fraction of the people that attend these shows. Sure, there may be 1500 crazy fans camped out for days for the GA line, but what about the rest of the stadium that are more casual fans, yet fans nonetheless? Do they deserve to be slighted of the songs that represent U2 to them?

I'm in the minority of hardcore fans I guess, but I would be deeply disappointed by a setlist without Streets, WOWY, SBS, BD, etc. Yes, I have seen them every single show, but they belong in each of those shows as the songs that define the band. I feel that the 360 setlist is an awesome combination of required standards and rarities. On Vertigo when An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart was played, there was an obvious drop in crowd participation. Obviously the fanatics were thrilled, but the "average" fans (who, again are probably 75% of the audience) kind of zoned out, which leads me to my point.

U2 is legendary for the power and intensity of their live shows. A large part of this energy is absorbed by them from the crowd. What is the better bet to generate this atmosphere, pandering to setlist elitists or the entire stadium?

I totally agree with you (and that's a rarity for me considering the way I post). I consider myself an average/casual fan and don't usually listen to every single U2 song. Yea, I love some of their obscure songs...but I don't expect nor demand them to play it all the time and plus I don't know every single lyric they ever wrote. I was one of those 75% (on average) who zoned out a bit during songs like Miss Sarajevo and An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart during the Vertigo tour because I don't usually listen to them. But I'm grateful that they play anything at all! Just grateful :D

It's one of my all time favorite U2 songs... they snippeted it at my only U2 show... I hope it stays in the set here til October!

they snippeted it at my show too! I was so excited. (Miami on the 13th)

hmm...so not so great reviews from fans on u2tours.com, however the press reviews seem to be really good so far. People seem to be pissed at Bono saying to edge when he messed up "Listen to me edge!"... :hmm:

After watching a bunch of the videos, I can't really comment either way; I'm going to have to get a ticket and see the show in person to really know what it's all about.

It really reminds me of Popmart in some ways. I dunno; the stadiums, the giant arching video thing, Bono's short hair.....:wink:

I think they certainly sounded overall alot more rehearsed than the first night of Popmart though. Even though they fucked up One. How the hell....well, it happens. No band is perfect.

It seems like a really visual kind of show; I can't imagine how much that must cost to put on.....they better be selling out every show in order to break even on this tour....

They sounded good from what I could hear. The only thing that bothered me was the amount of taped keyboards and backing vocals. Those things are clear as day. Actually, if you hear the stop in One, there is DEFINITELY a keyboard player backstage. There is no way Bono counted the band back in that quick to a tape or sequence. Which makes me sad, because I had this notion that Edge was triggering sequences with his pedal board.....I guess that's not the case.

At any rate, let's see what happens as the tour progresses.....
:drool:

they snippeted it at my show too! I was so excited. (Miami on the 13th)

hmm...so not so great reviews from fans on u2tours.com, however the press reviews seem to be really good so far. People seem to be pissed at Bono saying to edge when he messed up "Listen to me edge!"... :hmm:

:applaud: Portland Dec 12 for me

and LOL people will get pissed at anything, I'm sure Bono and Edge can work it out :rolleyes: :lol:

yea the edge mess up was a little shocking he is ussualy pretty on target (but hey he prob has the hardest job and does the most stuff)

Edge sounds a bit wonky at the end of UC too..

Yeah, at least 4 wrong notes in the end solo.
First night jitters and the first time performing it live...
It'll get better for sure.

Mac newb here (just bought my MBP last week).

What is this download window you speak of? In Safari?

:reject:

I didn't know until 2 minutes before I posted that :wink: downloads are under Window in the top menu of Safari (and Firefox). If you open it up and paste the mp3 link it will start to download.

by the way bono sounds pretty good (and i am suprissed how confident he is with his falsetto) but i miss the big long notes from the vertigo tour. by the time vertigo tour realy kicked off Bono was adding those big notes to every song (he was like look at what I can do) and i missed it from tonights show

Wow, you're twisting everything... I'm not asking for a set full of obscure songs... I'm not asking for the "Hardcore U2 Fan Setlist"... I'm just asking for some real variety. We've seen this show for the last 4 or 5 tours. Why are WTSHNN and WOWY still on every setlist without exception (for all intents and purposes)?

And I'm referring to the courageous step it took to release Achtung! after the whole Joshua etc. period.

Here's my idea... wait for this setlist to gel, term the "Standard Setlist" and then have Setlist Parties as follows:

Tonight's show was "Standard Setlist":
+ Bad
- SBS

WTSHNN and WOWY are there because they are widely considered their best two songs, and people want to hear them. Hate to break it to you, but the band give a fuck what YOU want.

And How about the dropping of warhorses like Bullet, New Years Day, UTEOTW etc.

Don't cry foul now. You were whinging about the set after the first show, and were called on it. Deal with it

WTSHNN and WOWY are there because they are widely considered their best two songs, and people want to hear them. Hate to break it to you, but the band give a fuck what YOU want.

And How about the dropping of warhorses like Bullet, New Years Day, UTEOTW etc.

Don't cry foul now. You were whinging about the set after the first show, and were called on it. Deal with it

Who is this verbally-abusive, typo guy?

Ok I just finally got to hear IGCIIDGCT and as I love the album version I was kind of afraid to hear this new version... but dang :drool: that was awesome.

if this was already mentioned, i apologize (but it wasn't on u2gigs or u2tours)

but at the end of 'i still haven't found...' bono snipped 'moving on up' by primal scream.

moving on up ya
out of the darkness
our love shines on
our love shines on
our love shines on

movin on up ya
out of the darkness
our love shines on
our love shines on

it was one of the intro songs during the 1st leg of the elevation tour

-dan

Who is this verbally-abusive, typo guy?

Someone who is sick to death of the bitching that goes on on this site by these prissy entitleds that demand the earth from a band that has given us 33 years. Get over yourself and put up with what they want to do or let it go. You'll give yourself an ulcer. And where is my typo? I accidently capitalised a letter? Are you seriously arguing that point. Your arguement is wearing pretty thin if that's all you've got to defend yourself

If I'm going to be disappointed about anything, I think it'll be that they didn't play Elevation. :sad:

Disappointing setlist given the hype

Judging from the pre-show/rehearsal hype, I was hoping for a more adventurous setlist this tour. What happened to the new Drowning Man version everyone was raving about?

Looks like they opted instead to just go for a version fo the U2 Greatest Hits setlist (odd the way they've fallen into that mode, since Larry was quoted as far back as the Lovetown tour saying that things were getting a bit boring and he didn't want to just tour as the "U2 jukebox"). All but a couple of these songs were entirely predictable, down to the order of appearance in the setlist.

And once again the two best songs on the latest album - Cedars and Fez-Being Born - are left off, continuing a tradition going back several albums now.

Street, Pride, Bloody Sunday, Vertigo, and Beautiful Day need to take a rest (as do the now tired paens to Tutu and MLK).

Is there a snippet of something at the end of SBS? I can't make out what bono is singing. Maybe something from Snow Patrol? because he says their name a few seconds later at the beginning of Pride..

Gosh, seeing the videos do make me realize just how TINY the guys appear from a distance. In some videos, I took forever finding where Bono was! Those spotlights dont seem to very strong...at least not like arenas.in the last tours.
I guess the point is to look at the big screens, huh?! :p

Could the lighting have anything to do with this. The stage area just feels really dark in the videos...with THe Claw having all the colors. Yes, its very cool & awesome to look at but I dont want th eband in darkness with a weak spotlight on them?

Maybe Ive been spoiled by only seeing them in arenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom