July 23, 2011 TCF Stadium Minneapolis III: Stuck In A Heat Wave You Can't Get Out Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
METAL!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

:crack:

Maybe lightning will strike the spire, we'll get sent back to 1985 and we'll end up getting a kick-ass UF-heavy setlist.

From your mouth to God's ears...

:pray: I'll take a lightning strike for Bad.

Attach that lightning rod to your head. We'd all be so grateful!:wink:

:lol:

But maybe instead, they'll play nothing but The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Wow, I get to meet you all the day after tomorrow. That is crazy! :hyper:

Hey all, been away for a couple of years, but with this show a week away, I thought I ought to check in on the good folks of Interland.

Couldn't agree more!

Storms are a legitimate possibility. Hoping that would only mean a delay, not an end to the show. Anyone know how that works? Chicago 1 '09 is my only experience with an outdoor show, and that was such a beautiful night, this is new territory.

I'd welcome some rain in the pit. I saw someone reference hoses or mist in St. Louis...anyone willing to share the story there? I think I'll be ready for them to turn the fire hoses on us by 7pm.

found my own answer (occasionally I'm not entirely lazy) about St. Louis...

They had firetrucks outside the stadium with sprayers up and one had this giant fan probably 4 feet tall that blew out misted air. That was kinda cool. I would not have been able to survive doing GA, Red Zone was bad enough. I think the heat index at 5 o'clock was around 105.

So obviously, the show goes on if it rains. What happens with storms? I can only imagine that spire is a big-ass lightning rod, no?

I would assume that this sort of thing went into their planning. I know the stadium said they had emergency procedures, but if there are storms, what happens with the show?

For the record, I am not particularly concerned. I'm honestly curious. :wink:

I was at a drum corps event at the stadium last year and we were told to get out of the stands when a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued. So, we just milled around in the concourse. Then a tornado warning was issued and everyone was told to go into the restrooms to take cover. Not fun!

Now, the event probably only had about 10-15,000 people (totally guesstimating here) so there was plenty of room to take cover. I'm not sure what they would do with 50,000 people!

I'd welcome some rain in the pit. I saw someone reference hoses or mist in St. Louis...anyone willing to share the story there? I think I'll be ready for them to turn the fire hoses on us by 7pm.

I might have captured some pics of the cooling stations (either outside Busch Stadium or on the field), but I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home. LOL, if I remember, they were a bit wetter than the more ideal mist stations.

Hey all, been away for a couple of years, but with this show a week away, I thought I ought to check in on the good folks of Interland.

Couldn't agree more!

Storms are a legitimate possibility. Hoping that would only mean a delay, not an end to the show. Anyone know how that works? Chicago 1 '09 is my only experience with an outdoor show, and that was such a beautiful night, this is new territory.

The storms this summer seem to move through fairly quickly. Even with something threatening, I can't imagine a delay of more than 30 minutes, but curfew could come into play, too.

The Twins have done okay with the weather this year. The rain-outs they've had wouldn't stop the U2 concert, and I think anything severe has only delayed the games a little.

I was at a drum corps event at the stadium last year and we were told to get out of the stands when a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued. So, we just milled around in the concourse. Then a tornado warning was issued and everyone was told to go into the restrooms to take cover. Not fun!

Now, the event probably only had about 10-15,000 people (totally guesstimating here) so there was plenty of room to take cover. I'm not sure what they would do with 50,000 people!

There are classrooms and quite a few hallways inside TCF. So, if anything bad came through, it would be fine.

Depends on who's working the gate. I've been to basketball games at Williams Arena where the U of M staff has visibly berated someone for bringing in a piece of tagboard the size of a legal pad. However, during football games, when CSE is responsible for the seating bowl and in-house staff are kept at elevators and in the clubhouse area, I've seen a lot of signs get brought in and displayed without incident. I think the biggest issue is not to display them during gameplay.

Will be by there again Thursday, if I'm not back to work tomorrow. I work for the state and it could be a while before I restart.

Thanks! Yeah, I figure it's always "who knows" with security.
Hope you've been okay the last 20 days. :hug: The only person I know whose job was in danger was my uncle, but he got to keep working.

Thanks for the pics and info :up:

It would be nice if we were lined up along the side of the building because it looks shaded.
Yeahhhh, not if it's the east side of the stadium. *sigh* Stupid East. I did like hearing the guess of eta of shade at 1pm though! Hope that's not far off. :)

Maybe lightning will strike the spire, we'll get sent back to 1985 and we'll end up getting a kick-ass UF-heavy setlist.

Careful . . . we might get sent bak to 1885 instead and get the Dalton Brothers . . .:|

Hahaha! Hmm, wonder if Adam would still look fetching as Betty...

I might have captured some pics of the cooling stations (either outside Busch Stadium or on the field), but I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home. LOL, if I remember, they were a bit wetter than the more ideal mist stations.

Lol, they were straight-on SHOWER sprays. I didn't use 'em 'cause I didn't want to be wet the whole rest of the day (you know, if it's humid, you never dry off?). :/

Interesting, heh. I guess maybe they'd just cram everyone into the concourse, since that many wouldn't fit into the bathrooms? I really hope the weather moves faster--this stuff's supposed to pass on Saturday and then Sunday is gorgeous, come on, just speed up a day, weather! :/

If there are any thunderstorms that come through, hopefully A) they come through around suppertime and B) when they're over, they're OVER. That way, they just have a thunderstorm delay (maybe axing Interpol :applaud: if the delay is long enough), and things simply start a little later than scheduled. Besides, after broiling on that metal grating all day, I don't think anyone on the floor will mind a little rain.

As for where to go, there are indeed enough rooms, corridors, etc. in the guts of the stadium where the crowd on the field could be cleared into. Lightning strikes on the metal grating is something that can't be tolerated by the University. Don't know what to tell you for up on the concourse. Obviously fill the bathrooms, bring them down the ramps between Gates B and C.

Let's hope that the rain on Saturday is just one of those hot showers where it isn't much cooler on the back side than the start.

OIC. Haha, it strikes me as so odd that there are classrooms there.

Don't be surprised. Obviously the Marching Band has their quarters down below, but there are things going on all the time at the stadium (I think the kinesiology department was on its way to moving over there)

And it's crazy that I'll be seeing all of you crazy people two days from now!

Would it be totally wierd for an Interference newcomer like me to meet up with you guys Fri nite at Leaning tower of Pizza? I'm an RN at the U of MN and I have a shift that night and maybe you all would be there when I got finished. It would be cool to meet some rabid fans. And since I've never done the GA thing I'd love some tips!

If the gathering is for you guys who've been posting together for some time then No Worries! It won't hurt my feelings in the least. Scouts Honor!

:wave:

Whaaaaat? No, no, you are totally welcome! Just walk up to any rabid U2-looking type person and introduce yourself. :)

Would it be totally wierd for an Interference newcomer like me to meet up with you guys Fri nite at Leaning tower of Pizza? I'm an RN at the U of MN and I have a shift that night and maybe you all would be there when I got finished. It would be cool to meet some rabid fans. And since I've never done the GA thing I'd love some tips!

If the gathering is for you guys who've been posting together for some time then No Worries! It won't hurt my feelings in the least. Scouts Honor!

The more the merrier :hug:

We don't bite :sexywink:

I went to get my hair done today and the second I walked in my 60 something year old hair stylist, who is someone I've known since birth, grabbed me in a panic this afternoon and shook me and said "get me tickets!!!!!!" :yikes: Thankfully I knew of 2 seats available so I'll be able to hook her up. This exact same situation happened on Vertigo. This show has been for sale for over a year and half so I don't know what took her so long other than maybe all the hype about the show. It was funny. She seemed a little bummed to have to settle for seats in the upper bowl vs GA but that's what happens when you wait so long to ask. I could have gotten her GA's months ago. So happy to help out anyone get tickets to see this band live! I'm a little disappointed she has to work on Sat otherwise I would make her stalk the band with me because I think she would totally love it.

I don't mind the rain but am not happy about the storms. And I am betting there will be some. But they do move through quickly. Best thing out of this is the fireworks won't be on and the traffic will be a tad bit lighter. Let's hope for the best. But since we can't control it....we might as well roll with it.

Whaaaaat? No, no, you are totally welcome! Just walk up to any rabid U2-looking type person and introduce yourself. :)

I have promised to stay there until 10pm even if everyone else craps out and goes to bed to get up for the GA in the morning. Don't worry about coming. There'll be a whole mix of people who have have known each other for a long time and people who have never met in person and people who have never met at all. There'll be some clueless spouses, too. It's not hard to find someone/anyone to talk to.

The hardest part about get-togethers is not getting to meet everyone. Even at our small-ish Winnipeg get-together, there were still people I barely got to meet.

I hope people take the time to walk over to the stadium and check it out, too. It's so close.

Mark

Ok I'm totally decided I'll line up at 9-10 sat am, I hope I get kinda sorta close to live out my bucketlist dream, I just can't be outside that long burning to death... I'm a wimp!
Rai

You'll be 2nd-3rd from the rail lining up at that time. :up: ORRRR on the rail if you don't mind being farther to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom