June 18, 2011 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:21 PM
June 18, 2011 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA

Please post your experiences, pics and reviews here.

Upload photos to the gallery:

June 18, 2011 - Angel Stadium - Anaheim CA - Interference.com Photo Gallery (U2 Photos, U2 Concert Photos, Member Photos)

Old 06-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

My guess; all of them are either dead tired or drunk.....or both.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
Fan & Taper

Just got home, transfering video as we speak. GREAT GREAT SHOW. 5 AB songs to kick it off. Total mixup of setlist. No Magnificent Remix...loved it.

Was 3 people off outside rail on Adams side, but pretty centered. Shot video over short girls heads, so not bad, better than last night video.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Refugee

Location: SoCal, but far enough away from everything for it to be a pain in the ass
Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Just got home, transfering video as we speak. GREAT GREAT SHOW. 5 AB songs to kick it off. Total mixup of setlist. No Magnificent Remix...loved it.

Was 3 people off outside rail on Adams side, but pretty centered. Shot video over short girls heads, so not bad, better than last night video.
They turned the setlist upside down, And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
War Child

Looks like I'm gonna be up all night, too wired to sleep so here goes.......

As turned off as I was after catching The Rose Bowl show in '09, tonight at the Anaheim Stadium, the second show of a two night stand reaffirmed my faith in the band's ability to really shake things up.

I had avoided buying tickets to either Anaheim show back when they originally went on sale because I thought U2's Rose Bowl show really didn't work for me for a number of reasons, mostly due to the shows' focus on the last album's songs which aside from the title track and "Moment Of Surrender," I consider to be U2's weakest work to date. But over the last year when the tour resumed and huge changes were made in the setlist, I decided to go ahead and pick up a GA ticket to the second show as I figured based on this tour's history, the 2nd show would likely have the more interesting variations in the set. Thanks to a morning drop on TM, earlier last week, problem solved.

The afternoon started when I got to the stadium about 5pm and got in the general admission floor/field line as they were letting people in. I was able to not only get into the pit, but secure a great spot just off the center on Adam's side about midway between the stage and the ramp that circles the pit. The wait until about 7:45 when Lenny Kravitz came on was a bit brutal with the setting sun beating down on everyone. Lenny's set was a 7 or so songs that of course featured "Fly Away," his cover of "American Woman" and closed with "Are You Gonna Go My Way." Frankly, while he's a great performer and worked hard to get the audience into his set, it seemed like he was a bit restrained, nowhere near the energy of a show of his I caught a few years ago at the Wiltern Theater in LA. I had a brand new Nikon P500 camera that my wife gave me this morning, so I no little time to figure out who to work it before the show so while I did get some decent shots and video of Kravitz's set the camera proved to be a real bitch shooting at night time and properly focusing where I wanted it to. I think the best I got was savagable footage of "Streets."

After Lenny's set, I bailed out of the pit and wandered around the field a bit just to get a look from all angles of the stage. Before U2 started, I went in on Edge's side and was able to get a back rail spot with no problem.

So a little after 9pm, the show starts and it's "Even Better Than The Real Thing" now opening the show and the reworked version they're playing now is one of their better revamps of older songs. Now I'd heard they'd been rehearsing "The Fly" this past month so I was hoping against hope this would be the night they'd include it in the set but to drop it in as the second song was inspired. This version is very close to the 1992/93 version, The Edge plays a Strat but it does sound a tiny bit like the Vertigo tour version as well. Amusingly, almost every show I caught on the Elevation and Vertigo tours, Edge flubbed bits of the solo but tonight, the whole song was dead on - an excellent version right outta the gate. But surprise followed surprise as they played 5 "Achtung Baby" songs in a row very much like a ZooTV show. At this point, I decided to bail out of the pit due to some really loud, drunk people in front of me and was blown away that they then played Streets and I Will Follow very much like the opening songs of a '87 Joshua Tree show. I have to say, the energy between the band and audience was simply outstanding through this run of songs.

Once the show was past the halfway mark, it kind of settle into a more predictable routine but for me, one big highlight was finally seeing Zooropa played live in the last 3rd of the set. I was very glad to get Ultraviolet (again) as I much prefer it over Hold me Kiss Me etc as the lead encore song.

Surprisingly, the sound didn't seem quite as good (but it was fuckin' loud!) as it did at the Rose Bowl show. During "Get On Your Boots," I went over to the far side of the stage on Adam's side and it really sounded terribly distorted compared to standing in the pit or dead center between the outer ramp and the soundboard tent. Don't know what that's about as the Anaheim stadium is almost half the size of the Rose Bowl and the stage took up almost 3/4ths of the field.

During the last song, "Moment Of Surrender," Bono snippeted a line of Bruce Springsteen's song "Jungleland" in memory of Bruce's longtime sax player Clarence Clemons who died today which was a bit of a shock to me as this was the first I heard of his passing from a stroke he suffered last weekend.

Still, all in all, a tremendously better show than the '09 show. While it did have a bit of a nostalgic feel to it focusing so much on the Achtung Baby album, the element of surprise the first 3rd of the set and the band's performance early in the show really made this one of the more memorable U2 shows I've caught since '81.

T.B.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
War Child

Also should mention, Bono razzed the rest of the band during a break in the middle of the show. mentioned Adam's a new father which is why he has that extra "bounce" in his step (he really was bouncing all over the tip of the ramp out front during Crazy. Bono also obliquely commented on Edge being a great neighbor, "not bad for the environment, he'll even take out *your* trash." Obviously in reference to The City Of LA shooting down the construction zoning permits for Edge's Malibu Dream house yesterday. It was pretty funny.

T.B.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Fan & Taper

Bono plays his new Fender Custom Shop Telecaster during this...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Fan & Taper

So here is my very short take on Saturday night...the band really had that little extra spark. I think more than simply shaking up the setlist, the band likes to be out of their element a bit. Changing the songs around makes them have to work harder and give a little more...

So song wise great choices, didn't miss Magnificent remix, and The Fly sounded great...

One of the best versions of MOS dedicated to Clarence Clemons...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
has a

Local Time: 06:21 PM
This show's review is up on the home page:

U2 Interference – U2 Fans, Pop Culture Webzine, & More

Here is one of my videos. I've got several more, but the Hampton Inn's WiFi is not the fastest.

Amazing Grace into Where The Streets Have No Name
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post

One of the best versions of MOS dedicated to Clarence Clemons...
For everyone I know who died in the last 9 months, which has been too many people...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Fan & Taper

Two more...

Get On Your Boots (since it's a catwalk song)

Stuck In A Moment
Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
For everyone I know who died in the last 9 months, which has been too many people...
Awww, I'm sorry.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Incredible show. Just incredible. It was the first time I went to a U2 show and couldn't predict 90% of the setlist beforehand. That feeling of not knowing what was next was AMAZING!!

I'm still on such a high after last night. Best U2 experience I've ever had, and I've had some good ones.

Chrisedge, you must have been standing practically next to me.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Fan & Taper

My video of MOS dedicated to Clarence Clemons will be on NBC Nightly News tomorrow night during a tribute to him!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mads View Post
Incredible show. Just incredible. It was the first time I went to a U2 show and couldn't predict 90% of the setlist beforehand. That feeling of not knowing what was next was AMAZING!!

I'm still on such a high after last night. Best U2 experience I've ever had, and I've had some good ones.

Chrisedge, you must have been standing practically next to me.

I agree. The past two shows were amazing. It was tough to predict the setlist beforehand and each song was a great surprise. The Fly AND Zooropa on Night 2, and Zooropa AND Stay on Night 1? Heck yeah.