June 1, 2011 - Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton Canada - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:04 PM
June 1, 2011 - Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton Canada

Please post your experiences, reviews and photos here.

Also please upload your photos to our gallery:

June 1, 2011 - Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton Canada - Interference.com Photo Gallery (U2 Photos, U2 Concert Photos, Member Photos)

Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Mirror Ball Man 2.0

Local Time: 08:04 PM
Where are the pictures? Don't let me down Edmonton!

U2BROTHR's EXPERIENCE & INNOCENCE TOUR
VEGAS 1 VEGAS 2 MONTREAL 1 U2@APOLLO BELFAST1 BELFAST 2
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:04 AM
It was a great concert....still recovering...Band was spot on
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Refugee

and who knew Bono had intimate knowledge of the Oliers 80's dynasty.

I would have said Edge looks like Charley Huddy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jozv5I52MC...hoto-huddy.jpg
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Amazing night! As an die-hard oiler fan and a die-hard U2 fan, it was like my two obsessions collided last night. The story of Gilbert Brule was just amazing. Little things like that make the concert so much more personal.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 02:04 AM
When I went to South America in 2000, I took clothes, toiletries, a cheap wind-on camera, and a book. These days when I travel I bring an MP3 player, a digital camera, phone, Flip cam, netbook, and various other gadgets. I’m, like, totally gadged to the max. And they’re all essential.

One gadget I haven’t yet seen a need to pack is a Personal Video Recorder. I don’t watch much TV; I don’t have any can’t-miss series. It’s starting to seem like U2 are generously now providing a concert PVR. The last four gigs have had identical setlists (allowing that Moment of Surrender was on the printed setlist in Winnipeg). The North America tour could be sponsored by Tivo - the U2 360 DVR, for that favourite concert you love to watch again and again. Except, of course, that the many U2 fans travelling to these shows would prefer the 360 plot to change.

It seems daft to criticise a U2 setlist with Even Better Than The Real Thing, All I Want Is You, Zooropa, Scarlet and Hold Me Thrill Me. But even a good static setlist can still become a frustrating setlist for the U2 fans travelling to more than one concert. Some dedicated fans travelled from Salt Lake City to Denver, or from Winnipeg to Edmonton, to see two or more shows. U2 played thirty-one songs across the three concerts in Mexico City. So far in the four shows in the US and Canada they’ve played the same twenty-four songs.

I reckon they should consider the shows as pairs: Salt Lake City should have been viewed as Denver 2, Edmonton as Winnipeg 2. The casual U2 fans who see one show in their hometown will hardly lose out by seeing New Year’s Day instead of I Will Follow, Still Haven’t Found instead of All I Want Is You, or Ultraviolet instead of Hold Me Thrill Me. Yet the hardcore U2 fans who take time off work and spend their money on travelling to more than one show in geographical or temporal proximity would gain so much more enjoyment from such apparently simple setlist variations. This fixed setlist seems needlessly lazy, and it has caused some (minor) irritation to the U2 fans who have followed this slice of the tour.

Seattle will be the second Saturday show in the States this year, after the Denver show two weeks ago. There are many big U2 fans who came to the show in Denver who will be coming to Seattle. So Seattle should have a Denver 3 setlist, with even more setlist changes. I’m not accepting bets on this happening. It could be the Denver show rerun, but shifted a few states west.

Just as the band were going through their setlist motions, I was also going through my own motions last night, As in Denver, Salt Lake City and Winnipeg, I was down in the front circle, on Edge’s side, a few rows from the back rail. However one fab change from previous shows was that I accompanied by a hilarious and rather drunk Hungarian chap, a friend of my host. He was a perfect picture of an excited, animated fan. He was singing, roaring and bouncing around with a huge, happy grin, like every U2 fan seeing the show for the first time should. (Although quite a few fans down in the pit seemed to enjoy the proximity of the band far more than the music they were playing.)

The setlist wasn’t the only static feature of last night’s show in Edmonton. Edge and Adam both seemed much less energetic compared to previous shows. Bono, however, more than compensated. Last night was a Bono show. He was as hyper as I can recall seeing him for a while. He’s always lively, perhaps occasionally ‘professionally’ so. But last night he was fizzing about the stages and bantering with the audience like he was on a Red Bull drip. A hyper Bono always makes for a good concert.

“Welcome to the 3-25 show” he joked during I Will Follow, referring to the lack of seats behind the stage. “Your eyes almost make a circle” he sang moments later.

I suspect a mischievous Canadian had played a sneaky practical joke on Bono before the gig. He started a rambling yarn about hitchhiking in Vancouver. It reminded me of a best-man’s speech at a very big wedding. It was a convoluted lead-in to ice-hockey themed band intros. (Bono correctly called it ‘ice-hockey’, whereas it’s just ‘hockey’ to those error-strewn English speakers in North America.) “Just like rolling the check (cheque / Czech)”, Bono said, believing it was a well-known ice-hockey phrase in Canada. There was no response from the crowd. “Rolling the check, is that right?” Silence. “I was told it would be a cool thing to say.” Tumbleweed. Someone somewhere was peeing their padded, protective ice-hockey pants.

Fans had passed out red and white balloons before the show, which were waved when the band walked onstage. Bono grabbed one before Elevation, “MY ball. MY ball. I don’t have to sing if I don’t want to”, he mock tantrumed. During Pride he took an Irish tricolour from someone in the pit, kissed it, and said “Peace is possible”. “Don’t break me”, he told the girl he’d brought onstage to read the lyrics to Heart of Gold by Neil Young, as she squeezed him in her over-excitement.

There was aggressive, over-zealous security shouldering their way through the pit below the bridges as they swung around the stage. If a fan jumped up to touch the bridge as it passed overhead, a burly female steward gave the fan a firm warning shove. One guy actually jumped up, grabbed the bridge, and chin-upped his head to look through it during Until The End Of The World. I’m not sure he actually intended to climb up on the bridge, but he was instantly dumped onto the ground by the steward, although he wasn’t chucked out of the gig. My biggest peeve though, was to have security force past me when I’d my eyes closed during Miss Sarajevo, killing the enjoyment of the song. Time for keeping your distance and all.

There was a strange silence after Miss Sarajevo (and the video screen failed to open). Bono was clearly determined to get through his big glory note, as he’s not quite made it at the last few shows. He strained, held it, and got there. Then the song ended in silence. Bono looked quite emotional after diving into the challenge of singing his solo. He walked back onto the stage and put his hands onto Phil’s shoulders, as if he needed some human contact. I think he really needed a hug.

If there was an 11:00 pm curfew in Winnipeg which caused Moment Of Surrender to be dropped, then there are more relaxed regulations in Edmonton. Last night's show finished around 11:30 pm. Perhaps Alberta is more tolerant of late noise than Manitoba. Yet the stadium in Edmonton is in a residential area, whereas in Winnipeg it ain’t, so perhaps the cold just got to U2 in Winnipeg.

Right, gotta go, just landed in Seattle. It can't be five setlists from five, can it ...?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
The Fly

I'm still recovering from about 10 hours of sleep in the alst 48 hours, and 1000 kms driven, but it was totally worth it. Our seats were high up but the view was incredible. We brought balloons and gave some to a little guy next to us. Of course most of ours blew right out of the stadium! It didn't seem like the floor even had many which is too bad.

What amazed me the most is the setlist change!! I was lucky enough to see them once on the previous NA tour, and thought it would be similar but i was so blown away by the totally different setlist!!!! Stay had me turn into a ball of mush! Definitly the high point because i never thought i would ever see that song played live in my lifetime. It was also bittersweet because i'm fairly certain it will be the first and last time i will ever get to see Stay performed. I think thats probably why i cried like a baby! Its going to be a long time before i can listen to Stay again, not to mention the bootleg!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Two weeks ago, before the Denver gig, I was teasing my Van Halen-loving friend about how lame his favorite band was for doing the same setlist night after night on their comeback tour a couple of years ago. It was a great setlist, but it inevitably became boring for the travelling VH fans.

For U2 to roll out the same setlist four shows in a row is disappointing. Perhaps I can read a note of dread in your writings, Cathal, as you think about hearing the same songs in the same order for the next 18 shows in a row.

I suspect U2 will switch it up a bit at the second Anaheim and Montreal gigs, but let's hope for some sort of variation before then. If they don't make any changes, I will feel badly for my fellow travelling fans who plan on seeing U2 multiple nights over the next two months, but glad that my final shows on this tour will be in Anaheim in two weeks' time. That's sad to admit.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichka View Post
I'm still recovering from about 10 hours of sleep in the alst 48 hours, and 1000 kms driven, but it was totally worth it. Our seats were high up but the view was incredible. We brought balloons and gave some to a little guy next to us. Of course most of ours blew right out of the stadium! It didn't seem like the floor even had many which is too bad.
The floor actually semed to have more than enough but not as many as we shoudl've had. Just before nine when Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones came on the floor was going crazy with balloons. It looked unreal from on the floor at least. I know for a fact there were at least 3800 balloons handed out in GA before the doors opened because myself along with others did it haha. Too bad the losers at security confiscated BALLOONS during the "pat down" f-ing losers. the security we talked to inside said that was a joke and the guys running the security outside were definitley losers.

Anyways AWESOME show! I'm not lieing, I had THE best seat in the house. Front row on the outter edge about 30 feet from center off to Adam's side. Center isn't the best cause the cameras are often stopped there. It was unreal!!

I'm dumbfounded why people run inot the pit when there's room still available on front row on the outter edge. Been there done that for both and front row on the outside is by far the better option. In my opinion of course.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
The floor actually semed to have more than enough but not as many as we shoudl've had. Just before nine when Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones came on the floor was going crazy with balloons. It looked unreal from on the floor at least. I know for a fact there were at least 3800 balloons handed out in GA before the doors opened because myself along with others did it haha. Too bad the losers at security confiscated BALLOONS during the "pat down" f-ing losers. the security we talked to inside said that was a joke and the guys running the security outside were definitley losers.
The thing is, they weren't even doing a particularly effective job at confiscation. I (unfortunately) had my balloons in my purse, and they grabbed all of those, but they didn't check my pockets at all. Had I kept my balloons in there, they'd never have found them.

Then to top it off, I heard that the inner gate to the circle on Adam's side wasn't open when the first group was let into the stadium. By the time we got down there, it was, but I can just imagine the panic down there as people got to the gate.

Prior to the gates, they wristbanded the first 2K fans for the pit with bright pink bands, but later, a group of girls made it in to the inner circle, and pushed their way up and they definitely weren't wearing the wristbands. Which is fine -- I know from past experience that not everyone of those first 2000 fans wants to be in the inner circle, but all of these things together lead me to conclude that Commonwealth security (not U2's team) had NO idea what they were doing.

Regardless, great show. From my perspective, Adam seemed mellow but having a good time. Several times, he seemed to be laughing at something. Maybe somebody had a particularly amusing sign, heh. I wish I'd been able to see more of Edge and Larry than I did, but at the end of the day, I really don't have any complaints. The last time U2 was in Edmonton, I was in the nosebleeds!

Finally, I didn't really expect a lot of setlist variation after reading Willie's Diary, but I do hope that it doesn't remain completely static. I'm only going to one more show (Toronto), but it would still be nice to get at least one different song!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2_Muse View Post
The thing is, they weren't even doing a particularly effective job at confiscation. I (unfortunately) had my balloons in my purse, and they grabbed all of those, but they didn't check my pockets at all. Had I kept my balloons in there, they'd never have found them.

Prior to the gates, they wristbanded the first 2K fans for the pit with bright pink bands, but later, a group of girls made it in to the inner circle, and pushed their way up and they definitely weren't wearing the wristbands. Which is fine -- I know from past experience that not everyone of those first 2000 fans wants to be in the inner circle, but all of these things together lead me to conclude that Commonwealth security (not U2's team) had NO idea what they were doing!
I don't believe those wristbands were for anything other than to make sure fans had access to the floor and thos in actual seats couldn't sneak down. That's what we were told. I had no desire to get in the pit as I've been before and the rail on the outside in my opinion is better. Had they told me that the wristband was for the pit I would have declined the wristband. I've had GA 4 times for the 360 tour and there's never been anything like a wristband that guarantees people inside the inner circle. If they were actually doing it for the pit that's hilarious.

Either way you're right the goofs out side the buidling doing security had no clue. Seriously who confiscates balloons? The security on the floor loved them, the fans loved them and Bono even picked one up and said "My ball". Even one of crew grabbed one and drew a smiley face on it and gave it to me. Yeah good job taking people's balloons Commonwealth security in green shirts haha.

But yes regardless it was an awesome show.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Refugee

http://storify.com/edmontonjournal/u...dmonton-june-1

Really neat timeline of the event, culminated from a wide variety of Facebook, twitter, and newspaper posts/pictures.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
U2 In Edmonton June 1 - storify.com

Really neat timeline of the event, culminated from a wide variety of Facebook, twitter, and newspaper posts/pictures.
They arrived just before 5??!! We got there at about 530 and must have just missed soundcheck I knew i should have forced the people with me to come earlier. Next time i'm going by myself and to heck with the rest of them.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Well what can i say? I'm pretty sure it's been said that it was more than amazing. I cried my eyes out during Stay, Walk on and Streets. Adam laughed at me but i guess thats ok.

My pics are crap but i was so blessed to be so close!!! Amazing... amazing

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
The Fly

Love_U2_Adam, I love your pics!! I'm an Adam fan myself and was crying right along with during Stay!! That is so awesome that Adam laughed at you!!!! What a privelage!