GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Fan Experiences, Reviews, & Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:41 PM
GA Line Controversy @ RoseBowl-What happened?

It's been reported that after some people lined up the day before the show and were numbered. Some late-comer fans then went to security and had the whole line re arranged to their liking on the day of the show -thereby cheating the earlier people out of proper placing.

Details on this anyone?

Who were the parties involved etc?

<>

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I remember Rosebowl security, the day of the show, talking to people about the people that came out the night before and got numbered and said whoever numbered those people and gave them bands or whatever, shouldn't have done that.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:41 AM
This is from U2tours...

"First the line fiasco needs to be recorded in detail for history so that true U2 fans are aware of and make sure never happens again. As with nearly every other city where a big U2 show takes place, hardcore committed U2 fans began arriving the day before the show (in fact, one individual arrived Wednesday) to camp out in line overnight, Over the course of the day over 400 people arrived, were numbered and received wristbands in an orderly respectful manner as always. At 7pm, security met with the fans who had worked hard to manage this process throughout the day and told them that security would honor this process and gave "no being on property overnight" instructions for everyone to leave the property and return at 7am Sunday to a specified parking lot area from where the line would be walked to the Field entrance gate at 8am per the published venue statement that the property would open up at 8am. Several amazing fans volunteered to stay up all night to continue giving numbers to anyone who arrived and pass on the information from security on returning at 7am. That's where any measure of integrity and respect ended. Despite security's statement, a new set of people started arriving on property at 5am led by two girls who had printed fake U2 laminates and lied to the new morning security they were official U2 representatives. The new security person on property let them form the line. When the people who had waited all day Saturday arrived at 7am as told, they found a line/mob of over 200+ people who had manipulated security and said "#@$%# you" to the 400+ already numbered linesitters who had arrived a day before them because they were there "first" (the gall to make that self-righteous statement was amazing) and that they had the "official" line. Anyway, instead of doing anything to find a reasonable compromise (i.e. merging the lines) the mob just kept saying "@#@#% you" with security's backing until might made right. It was opposite everything real U2 fans are supposed to represent: fairness, community, respect, intelligence, justice and soul. A sad sad, ugly day in U2 fan lore with a set of selfish, could care less about the U2 community fans and incompetent security all the way through to the dangerous, human crash at the entrance gate when the turnstiles opened. With this recorded let's hope this isn't the future of how the U2 fan community is going to work."

The line had somewhat settled down on Sunday. We were all lined up and numbered at 1pm, BY PASADENA SECURITY. The line had 3,000+ people in it, so not everyone got numbered -- just the first 2,500 or so who were going to get in the inner circle. People continued to arrive for GA throughout the day and went to the back of the line. Pasadena security did very little communication with the line, so many of us didn't know what was happening. Nonetheless, word got out that we should prepare to move at 4:45. However, at 4:15, without warning, the line started moving. People were unprepared, still packing up their stuff, and a stampede broke out for the gate. (One gate for 3,000+ people.) People literally left their stuff behind, and a huge mass of bodies formed at the gate, with hundreds (if not thousands) of people who didn't have numbers and had walked up at 4pm cutting ahead of those who had arrived at 7, 8, or 9 am. It wasn't just a lack of line etiquette (though that was certainly true) -- it was piss-poor planning by the Pasadena people and could have been a serious public safety issue. There was nothing set up at the gate to contain that many people, there was no system in place, and it completely broke down. A lot of people were not only annoyed, but also freaked out.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

The only good thing that came out of all of that was that security came along mid-afternoon and kicked the two girls with fake laminates from the very front to the very back of the line
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 08:41 PM
They should have taken their tickets too and kicked them out of the venue.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

What nathan said was pretty much it in a nutshell. Except what I heard was that the girls who tried to pass themselves off as working with U2 with the fake passes arrived at 2:00am, and were allowed to stay, even though there was to be NO CAMPING OUT. The official line-starter, who I believed is named Matt, ended up in the 300-400's in the GA line. He was completely organized and had a full list of 500-600 names he had taken from Saturday/Saturday evening. Unbelieveable that there was no attempt to try & re-organize what was appeared to be orderly sign up/wristbanding from the day before, as had worked at many previous line-ups.

Security = non-existent, and the rush to the gates was Not only did we see people with numbers above 250 (the first grouping should have been numbered 1-250) get thru in this mad rush, I saw a girl with number 800+ there and was arguing with her, and she was like, 'no, those numbers already went in', and trying to tell me she was with her sister and that I was wrong. Even though everyone behind/around me were in the 300-400s and up. Bitch. Karma will get her. And there were people in the first batch getting in that had no numbers or wristbands. There was no order and no one attempting to create order. Why the hell were we numbered and wristbanded anyway?

I wish they would have paraded those girls around for all of us to see kaffy.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
I wish they would have paraded those girls around for all of us to see kaffy.
Yes, they should've walked them all the way down along the GA line. Walk of shame

That mad rush when they started letting us in was scary. I hope no one got hurt
Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That statement from U2Tours is an accurate account of what happened. By the grace of God, Danielle and I had decided to go put our stuff away early. When we came back we saw the mad rush and luckily found the group of people we were standing with. I think we were 527/8 (according to the Rose Bowl numbering system) and we saw hands with number 1700+ trying to wedge themselves in with us. It continued inside the circle as well. We had people telling us "it would only be fair" to stand in front of us. WTF??
Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 PM
i stopped reading that U2tours blurb at "true fans".
Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah, I now think Security was talking about the people that faked the laminates. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:41 PM
wait, so 2 girls actually made fake laminates that said they work for the band and then started their own GA line??? and i thought i'd heard everything by this point....
Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

The crush was bad. Near 90 degree heat with people jam packed together was just wrong. I'm 6'1" and I had to just tilt my head back and breathe air to just feel like I wasn't going to suffocate.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
led by two girls who had printed fake U2 laminates and lied to the new morning security they were official U2 representatives. .
That is just really fucking low.

Stuff like this (and I mean the whole situation, not just those two fuckwads) is why I don't do the big line-up for GA. Too much bullshit, too stressful.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

^ My feelings exactly. If the band can figure out a way to beam a live concert to people all over the world, why can't they figure out a way to create a uniform GA system, one that will be used at all venues and prevent this kind of craziness from happening?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Fan & Taper

I love all of the drama! I went to go see Dan at around 4:30pm or so in the line and saw the mass chaos, and was thrilled to have seats.

The only system that works is the lottery. Because even with a well run "system" people will leave and come back and screw over someone else that has been waiting longer, but just didn't come by the line "earlier" to get their hand numbered.

Whoever started this line nazi stuff in 2001 should be shot.