August 30, 2010 - Ernst Happel Stadium, Vienna, Austria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about you guys ...

but that was an absolutely amazing show!! Great sound, the band fooled around and a great atmosphere. And I listened to Every Breaking Wave for the first time! And Bono's voice just keeps geeting better....

I wonder if non-premium-members can post photo - got some really nice pictures ..

Okay, I'll be the one to ask, since you were actually there!

There were a few tweets stating that Bono "didn't look good" or something, maybe he was in pain. I'm taking them with a grain of salt.

Any comment, as someone who as actually there? Sounds like "no" based on your comments about them fooling around and him sounding great.

Luckily Last Unicorn went to this show. Hopefully, she'll be here soon to tell us how he looked. Maybe you're right and 4 days of Russian food did make his pants too tight (and potentially gave him gas) which could be interpreted as him looking like he's in pain.

(All joking aside I just want to know that he is alright.)

Gas it is.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

I hate hearing the stories about him not doing good. Like that report from Moscow. It was obviously BS but it still freaked me out.

So, Vienna concert goers: was he really looking 100%??

I hate hearing the stories about him not doing good. Like that report from Moscow. It was obviously BS but it still freaked me out.

I don't think it was BS. A couple of times he was grimacing as if he was in pain (or overcome with emotions).

There were a few tweets stating that Bono "didn't look good" or something, maybe he was in pain. I'm taking them with a grain of salt.

He looked and sounded fine to me, although he did need to tuck his T-shirt back into his trousers a couple of times.

The only moment I noticed that he had a grimace was when he was singing the operatic solo of Miss Sarajevo. He waved his hand down a few times, which I guess was to tell the sound engineers to lower the levels in his ear-monitor. As he was building up to the big note he actually waved his hand quite frantically, and then reached to take his earpiece out. It could have been that the levels of his own booming voice were too loud in his ear.

If so, it was amazing that he managed to maintain his concentration on singing that part so well whilst communicating to the sound-desk.

Or it could just have been a very irritating Austrian fly.

Leif and myself were at the concert. For me, it felt a bit surreal, can't say exactly why, but in the end it turned out to be a fantastic night. Great show, weather was ok, no rain, a bit windy and quite cold. Funnily, both Adam and Larry had to put on sweaters sometime during the show, Bono seemed to freeze as well and rubbed his hands several times, while Edge had a couple of problems of other sorts: his guitars didn't work properly for the first half of the concert, even though Dallas had checked everything quite extensively in the beginning. The look on Edge's face was hilarious, but at the same time I felt sorry for him, he seemed to be in dispair, always looking down on his effects unit like in panic. When In A Little While was supposed to start, Dallas had taken Edge's guitar away which was quite a funny moment, prompting Bono to say something about the effects the heavy winds were having on technology that particular evening. During COBL, Edge even had to change guitars once, everything seemed a little messy.

Bono seemed fine, but a little exhausted, and I also felt he was in pain a couple of times, grimacing, holding his sides and sometimes his back, but in the second half of the concert he seemed more energetic and in better spirits. Maybe it was the shitty weather and the cold in Moscow that had made his problems worse. I don't want to stir up rumours or cause panic, maybe it just wasn't Bono's night and you never know how much acting is involved with him.

I was so happy to hear Every Breaking Wave, though they changed the setlist in the very last minute and dropped Glastonbury. After Still Haven't Found, which was beautiful with everyone singing along and even after the song had ended, Bono whispered something to Edge and they went immediately into Every Breaking Wave. It's such a beautiful song! Bono's voice was amazing, he was singing very well, but the sound in the stadium wasn't really great most of the time. Sometimes everything just sounded too loud and especially during Miss Sarajevo Bono seemed to have problems with his IEM and gestured wildly to the soundboard people, looking a bit in pain.

Audience was great, amazing atmosphere. Ultra Violet was played instead of Hold Me, which was also a bit of a surprise but didn't include much swinging by Bono on his microphone. In the beginning, Bono almost forgot to start singing and suddenly came running onto the stage, rushing to the mic, which looked a bit funny.

He had some nice things to say about Monday nights in Vienna and acknowledged the fact that U2 broke the attendance record in our stadium that evening.

Everything was very well organised, even when the gates opened, we were in front of the stage almost directly in front of Bono. The only really stressful thing was getting out after the show and getting into the subway which was really really crowded. There was actually more pushing in front of the subway station than we had experienced the whole time at the concert.

Btw, I liked One Republic as support act better than expected, they really created a great atmosphere and the audience was very much into it. I am not really a fan of their music but they aren't bad live and seem to be really great musicians with a lot of energy.

I was not there, nor in Moscow but I heard the same stories about Bono still being in pain and I tend to believe that.

First, i just found this article
Bono unter Schmerzen!
So fit er sich präsentierte, so groß waren auch seine Schmerzen. Im Dauerregen des vorangegangenen Moskau-Konzerts wurden seine Bandscheiben-Probleme wieder akut. Für Wien musste er extra fitgespritzt werden. Auch mit ein Grund, warum U2 nur kurz blieben. Zwischen den Konzerten tankt Bono in seiner Villa in Èze sur Mer an der Côte d’Azur Kraft nach Reha und Not-OP: „Ich muss noch immer täglich ein vierstündiges Fitnessprogramm absolvieren.“ Nur so konnte er die aktuelle Tour spielen. Als moralische Unterstützung nahm er Gattin Ali und Söhne John (9) und Elija (11) mit nach Wien.

source: U2-Konzert in Wien alle Infos und Bilder Live-Ticker - Kultur - Österreich / oe24.at

PLUS: last week, there was a great festival here in Belgium (pukkelpop) and Snow Patrol was there (again lol) and in a live radio interview with one of the members (not Gary), this person said Bono was still treated by his chiropractor (sp??) before AND right after each gig..

If any one knows, it would be their support act.. no??:D

Of course he is, he said so in the latest Rolling Stone interview. It's simply unrealistic and naive to assume that you're 100% fit after an injury and surgery like that. He will have good and bad days, but I wouldn't worry too much, he's in good hands. The performances put a lot of stress on him and his body, but he'll be fine. I think the weather is not helping at all. Humidity and cold can be such a bitch when you're having physical problems. He seemed perfectly fine during the second half of the show :)

Btw, don't trust tabloid media. The source you quoted is one of the worst newspapers here and they get all their information from spying on fan forums.

Thanks for the reports! Sounds like a great show.

And yeah, I'm sure playing in cold weather isn't much fun for anyone, whether or not you've had recent back surgery. :)

I was not there, nor in Moscow but I heard the same stories about Bono still being in pain and I tend to believe that.

I'd be more surprised if he wasn't in pain, and getting treatment before and after each show. Whether he is or isn't, he still looks and sounds fantastic. His movement seems completely unrestricted during the show.

Whatever he's doing or having done to him to keep him on the road seems to be working perfectly. During the concerts I completely forget he's still convalescing from recent major spinal surgery. You really wouldn't know.

There is scope for a fascinating study into the dynamics of the ticket black market outside stadiums before concerts. Especially in different cities where there is more or less ticket supply compared to others.

Neither Brad nor I had tickets for yesterday's show when we got to the stadium around 5pm. After I failed to get tickets for either Horsens shows or Helsinki 2 I was more hopeful than confident we'd get some yesterday in Vienna.

We had a sign saying "Need 1 Ticket Please" (thinking it's more likely people would have one spare than two), and walked towards the stadium from the metro holding it up. Almost immediately we were approached by an older Austrian guy who told us he had a spare seat ticket as his wife couldn't make it. It had a face value of €91, and was happy to sell it to Brad for €90.

I decided that my maximum budget for a ticket was a mere €50. I was hoping to be able to find one of the cheapie €40 seats for face value. We were approached by dozens of people with spare tickets for almost every section of the stadium, and with a range of selling prices.

Most people we talked to with spares had the top-tier €177 tickets, and a lot of them wanted €200 or more for their ticket, although one girl offered hers for €100. Another girl offered us a GA ticket for €200, saying that was what her sister had paid for it. One guy offered me a €400 VIP ticket for €200. And a tout offered me a Red Zone ticket for €300. I have no idea who pays these sort of ticket prices an hour or two before the show.

Two different people approached me with one of the sought-after €40 tickets. One of them wanted €70, the other €80.

When people approached me saying they had a spare ticket, my usual strategy was to ask them "What's the cost price?" My reason for this was to establish the face value, and hopefully try to keep their selling price lower. The face value was invariably €100+. Brad suggested asking them "How much do you want for it?" to see what the responses would be like. The prices were then usually higher than face value.

When I asked what the face value was, if it was above €50 then I told the person that the ticket price was too high for me, thanked them and left it at that. Some people then asked me what I wanted to pay. I considered telling them that I didn't want to pay anything, but that seemed a bit cheeky. So I honestly told them €50, further explaining to some that I was looking for a cheap seat.

However, one guy with a €177 ticket got quite upset, walking away and angrily shouting back at me, "You're not a real fan!" I suspect he thought I was offering him €50 for his ticket, and this caused his anger. But his comment still got to me a little bit.

Brad and I found that the asked-for prices were much higher immediately outside the metro station. As people got off the trains, saw the crowd they may have seen a chance for a nice profit. However, 100 metres beyond, just outside the stadium gates, and through a thick crowd, the prices were usually much closer to face value. This was all very interesting but after maybe two hours I still didn't have a ticket.

Then there was one of those weird, "where did that come from?" moments that happen occasionally. A guy approached me, and without any prompting from me whatsoever, produced two of the €177 tickets, saying he had one spare, and would sell it to me for €50. I tried to argue saying that it wasn't really a fair price for him. It was strange to be counter-haggling with someone, but he was insistent he was fine with that price. I checked he was absolutely sure he was ok with the transaction, he assured me he was, he tore the tickets apart, gave me one and I paid him €50. (I did give him a book too, as a small gesture of appreciation.)

Of course we had concerns it might have been a fake ticket, but he seemed like a normal guy, there were no Spidey senses tingling. Later, when I arrived at the ticket gate, I went to put the barcode in the scanner, but the guy on the gate said not to bother, he tore off the stub and waved me through. I'm not sure if he even checked the ticket was for a U2 concert in Vienna.

But we both got in! And for face value, or considerably less. We even managed to charm a very chilled, unjobsworth steward to allow us through a fence in the areas under the stands to get access to the field! We ended up behind the Red Zone on Edge's side with a great view.

A chilly night, but another jolly lovely concert adventure!

I'd be more surprised if he wasn't in pain, and getting treatment before and after each show. Whether he is or isn't, he still looks and sounds fantastic. His movement seems completely unrestricted during the show.

Whatever he's doing or having done to him to keep him on the road seems to be working perfectly. During the concerts I completely forget he's still convalescing from recent major spinal surgery. You really wouldn't know.

Exactly. But unlike you, I never forget. I wish I could forget, but I watch Bono (and the rest of the guys) rather intensly, because I love the body language, so I often think about what he has had to go through and can't help but wonder how he's really feeling. Being a great showman, of course he can hide the pain most of the time, but I guess sometimes it's just becoming stronger. He's human. I would be very surprised if he'd move around the stage like that and NOT be in pain from time to time. It's important to know where your limits are and that you're not unbreakable, even if you're Bono. Get better soon, B :)

Btw, there was apparently a "Rock me Amadeus" snippet at the end of Vertigo, but no one I talked to recognised it. :lol: I guess I have to listen to the bootleg.

I wasn't paying that close attention during the setlist party, but I think it took a while for it to be recognized on this end, too!

No, they didn't scan the tickets ... pretty careless, if you ask me ... But they did manage to throw away a small bottle of water, I had brought into the stadium. Logical.

But what a night, what a show!!! :D:hyper::love::love:

Yeah, the water issue sucked. We had no information about these restrictions and had to drink or throw away the water before the gates opened. But they didn't take away the giant apple I was taking into the stadium :doh:

Back
Top Bottom