August 30, 2010 - Ernst Happel Stadium, Vienna, Austria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was my third (and last) U2 concert of the year. I'm glad there was no rain, we heard Every Breaking Wave, the people on the stands seemed suprisingly cheerful ( although people in the Inner Circle, where we were, were typical Austrian statues).

A lot of my friends were without tickets and were buying them in front of the stadium. At the end they found this guy who gave thim some sort of "guest" passes, went with (around 10 of) them inside the stadium and got around 80 EUR from each of them. Then he took back the passes and went outside to get in another round of people. The guy (he sounded Irish) probably made a fortune that night.

Here are 2 of my videos of the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o6U5ctXMBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRye1XXGff8

I don't know where you were standing, but where we were standing in GA, the crowd was amazing. It's not "typical" of Austrian audiences to be lame, in fact I'm always surprised how great the atmosphere is when I'm going to a concert in Vienna. I've experienced much worse audiences in other countries. Just because you had some static people around you cannot say it's "typical" of Austrians to be like that, it simply isn't true. Most of the people I know are very enthusiastic. Of course there will always be exceptions.

I don't know where you were standing, but where we were standing in GA, the crowd was amazing. It's not "typical" of Austrian audiences to be lame, in fact I'm always surprised how great the atmosphere is when I'm going to a concert in Vienna. I've experienced much worse audiences in other countries. Just because you had some static people around you cannot say it's "typical" of Austrians to be like that, it simply isn't true. Most of the people I know are very enthusiastic. Of course there will always be exceptions.

I was standing under Adam's bridge and not including my friends most of the crowd was static.

You certainly can't say the crowd was the same in the Inner Circle as in Moscow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiqQh2Jtc0

I usually go to some 5-10 concerts a year to Austria. They're always superbly organized, the venues are great, the sound is as it should be, but the audience mostly reminds me of a theatre, where everybody complains if you want to go past them. Lack of alcohol probably.

^^ wow , is there always so much space in the inner circle? or was that just in Moscow?

The sides of the inner circle (i.e. near to the back) are not very crowded. But Moscow's inner circle was initially also more crowded, but some left as it seemed there were too many people in there before the concert.
And oh, there also wasn't much personal space in there. It was a bit of a squeeze at the front (and no, this does not happen at every concert as I've been at the front and people then were respecting the position you had).

I was standing under Adam's bridge and not including my friends most of the crowd was static.

You certainly can't say the crowd was the same in the Inner Circle as in Moscow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiqQh2Jtc0

I usually go to some 5-10 concerts a year to Austria. They're always superbly organized, the venues are great, the sound is as it should be, but the audience mostly reminds me of a theatre, where everybody complains if you want to go past them. Lack of alcohol probably.

When you are more to the sides the crowd often seems more static and less enthusiastic, but it can be totally different just a few meters further. You'll always have people complaining there was a lack of energy in the crowd and someone located slightly differently had an entriely different experience.
Alcohol should best not be present at all. If you need to get drunk to have fun you are having a problem I'd say. We had someone who had certainly too many beers directly behind us and he was really annoying. Good thing he didn't throw up, but he crashed into you and acted like a clown. Luckily, during Beautiful Day he and his friends moved back a little and we got rid of him.
I don't get people at all who spend 70 bucks for a ticket and then shoot themselves of.

The sides of the inner circle (i.e. near to the back) are not very crowded. But Moscow's inner circle was initially also more crowded, but some left as it seemed there were too many people in there before the concert.
And oh, there also wasn't much personal space in there. It was a bit of a squeeze at the front (and no, this does not happen at every concert as I've been at the front and people then were respecting the position you had).

thanks Marty :)
I'll keep it in mind. If I would make into the inner circle, I'd go for the back rail I guess. I think it might be better than first rows outside the circle.
I don't know which countries are most civil when it comes to respecting your spot, but I doubt it will be respectful here in Brussels :|

It's never fun when people cut in front of you, happened to us in Paris last year... the guys were not French though... :lol: ---> I can laugh now but I was pissed as hell back then. :angry:

And I can totally relate to Vincent Vega's comment too.. at the same concert, behind us there was a brawl breaking out, some drunken guys..
Really annoying when they stay in your area.. I don't understand either why they need to drink (too) much and miss the concert, cus they can't really enjoy any of it, let alone remember anything...
To each their own I guess, as long as they stay far away from me as possible

^^ wow , is there always so much space in the inner circle? or was that just in Moscow?

Just Moscow. Usually the crowd starts under the bridge, but there you could get at least 10 metres ahead without a problem.

Great show but obstructed view

It was a great show even though it was a freezing cold Monday night. Bono was in great spirits, talked a lot and made funny comments. It was nice when he explained that Monday night is musician's night in Ireland and that he is a Monday night guy, whereas Larry is a Friday night guy and Edge is always going out on Saturdays, while Adam is a Sunday night guy, staying in and watching Discovery Channel.

Unfortunately the sound was not too good. When Bono was speaking you could barely understand a word from where I sat.

I was very disappointed that could not see the left side of the catwalk from my seat as it was hidden behind the sound tower. For a ticket that cost almost € 120,- one would expect at least an unobstructed view. About 5 seats to my left they didn't sell the seats as there was no view at all. Obviously they decided to sell at least some seats with partly obstructed view for full price. What a rip-off!

Gas it is.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Just looks like too many painkillers :lol:

There is scope for a fascinating study into the dynamics of the ticket black market outside stadiums before concerts. Especially in different cities where there is more or less ticket supply compared to others.

Sounds like maybe an idea for your next book!!

I need any video file from ultraviolet of this concert for my multicam, feel free to send me a PM. thanks

Back
Top Bottom