What's that song they came out to? / Intro Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The opening song is in fact "Kingdom of Your Love" from the NLOTH sessions as noted by Willie Williams in today's tour blog:

U2.com > Sign In

OK, the show. Opening night, the big launch... and of course it went remarkably well. In some ways I'd never doubted it, having been so very confident about the strength of this idea since it popped into my head in New Zealand in 2006, but of course I'd never admit that until the first gig was well and truly in the bag. It was a warm, clear night and the stadium was packed to the rafters with a very rowdy audience who were chanting and doing Mexican waves before U2 were anywhere near the stage. At 10-ish the house lights went down and 'Kingdom of Your Love' came over the monster PA. Larry made his solo, spotlighted walk up the long rear ramp to the drum kit, with constellations of flash bulbs going off all over the stadium, then sat down. The audience was in full voice, but I could sense in there if not confusion, a curiosity as to what exactly was about to happen. Larry hammered out the opening to 'Breathe' as the others appeared and I enjoyed feeling the audience realise that this wasn't going to be as obvious an opening as we could have chosen. It felt good, new, fresh.

Thanks! So I called it then a while back! :D:hyper:

Hey everyone,

Just trying to put together a list of the pre-show music. Please add to or let me know if I've made an error. Thanks!

TV On The Radio - Crying
TV On The Radio - DLZ
TV On The Radio - Golden Age
TV On The Radio - Family Tree
MGMT - Time To Pretend
Interpol - The Heinrich Maneuver
Doves - Winter Hill
M83 - Graveyard Girl
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll
The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
Kings of Leon - Slow Night, So Long
Muse - Starlight
The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight

not that anybody reads this thread, but there was a mention of a poem that was played over the PA before Ultraviolet:

W.H. Auden, Stop all the clocks

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-dan

Hey everyone,

Just trying to put together a list of the pre-show music. Please add to or let me know if I've made an error. Thanks!

TV On The Radio - Crying
TV On The Radio - DLZ
MGMT - Time To Pretend
Doves - Winter Hill
M83 - Graveyard Girl
Muse - Starlight

Thanks so much for making this!! :D Made a myspace playlist out of it. :wink:

Hey everyone,

TV On The Radio - Crying
TV On The Radio - DLZ
MGMT - Time To Pretend
Doves - Winter Hill
M83 - Graveyard Girl
Muse - Starlight

wow, that's a pretty good playlist :D

Yeah, I remember really liking the songs they were playing before the Vertigo shows I saw, and looks like I can look forward to some more good stuff. I'll be dancing like a crazy person when that Yeah Yeah Yeahs song starts. Love it! :drool:

I hadn't heard of Airborne Toxic Event until a few months ago (and before U2 started using one of their songs as pre-show music, I swear!), and I really like the album. I need to pick that up.

Yeah, I remember really liking the songs they were playing before the Vertigo shows I saw, and looks like I can look forward to some more good stuff. I'll be dancing like a crazy person when that Yeah Yeah Yeahs song starts. Love it! :drool:

I hadn't heard of Airborne Toxic Event until a few months ago (and before U2 started using one of their songs as pre-show music, I swear!), and I really like the album. I need to pick that up.

Ha, I'm just finishing going through all the songs in order on You Tube, and I agree, great list this tour! That was one of my favourite parts of Vertigo, and one of my fondest memories of the tour, going through the songs, getting to know the order, and the anticipation building till Wake Up came on.

I also agree about Airborne Toxic Event, they've probably caught my attention more than any other recent new band. I like them a lot.

Glad you guys are enjoying the tunes. Was great listening to it waiting around. Put's you in a good mood before the boys rock the night out!

Found another one I didn't know before the tour:

Bat for Lashes - Daniel

Pretty cool dance track, really like the chorus. Don't recall any poems being played btw.

Hey everyone,

TV On The Radio - Crying
TV On The Radio - DLZ
MGMT - Time To Pretend
Doves - Winter Hill
M83 - Graveyard Girl
Muse - Starlight

I heard a song before U2 came up on the stage (not David Bowie or Kingdom)...I also have a film with the song from Croke Park...and it's not one of these songs! I would like to have this song, but I don't know the name of it! Someone who knows another song than these that was played before U2 entered the stage?

M83 - You, Appearing

So glad I found this one in my music collection... This one is special
Was playing over the PA when I grabbed the rail in Barcelona!

not that anybody reads this thread, but there was a mention of a poem that was played over the PA before Ultraviolet:

-dan

This is indeed played before Ultraviolet. It is read by a processed "alien" voice whilst the coloured squares are rotating around the screen. It is really chilling, I thought.h

This is indeed played before Ultraviolet. It is read by a processed "alien" voice whilst the coloured squares are rotating around the screen. It is really chilling, I thought.h

they hadnt played this for the first few shows, sounds great though.
i think they may have started the poem in dublin. missed out!

not sure ive u've all found it yet but here's a good quality link to it.

YouTube - U2 Dublin 2009-07-24 Ultraviolet (new intro!)

I'm sortof intrigued by M83 at the moment. I wish they were opening for U2 instead of the other garbage lined up so far.

I agree, M83 are a top band, their last album was particuarly good. Other than Doves, the list of support acts is far from inspiring.

Spolier-warning, here's a list of the Pre-show songs being played over the PA-system that I saw over on u2log.com:

* MGMT – Time to pretend
* Doves – Winter Hill
* M83 – Graveyard Girl
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Zero
* Empire of the Sun – Walking on a dream
* Hot Chip – Ready for the floor
* M83 – You, appearing
* Bat for Lashes – Daniel
* Interpol – The Heinrich Maneuver
* TV On the Radio – Family Tree
* The Fratellis – Chelsea Dagger
* The Airborne Toxic Event – Sometime around midnight
* Kings of Leon – Slow Night, So Long
* Moderat – Les Grandes Marches
* Muse – Starlight
* The Killers – Spaceman
* La Roux – In For The Kill (Skream remix)
* The Gossip – Standing in the way of control
* Radiohead – Jigsaw Falling Into Place
* LCD Soundsystem – Time To Get Away
* The Pixies – This monkey’s gone to heaven
* Santogold – Lights Out
* David Bowie – Space Oddity
* U2 - Kingdom of Your Love (excerpt)
Source: U2 360 intro tape songs playlist — U2LOG.COM

I saw M83 in 05 and they were fucking AWFUL!!! Good records though. Ulrich Schnauss opened the gig and he was shit too, but he was just playing his songs from his laptop. he wasn't even manipulating them.

At least MUSE are opening a few dates. They are going to fucking rip everyones mind open. Maybe Snow Patrol will be present and decide to retire.

KINGDOM is so damn good ... so it's a U2 song then? I thought it was a Gavin Friday song. I mean, it sounds like U2, and Eno's voice is in there.

KINGDOM is so damn good ... so it's a U2 song then? I thought it was a Gavin Friday song. I mean, it sounds like U2, and Eno's voice is in there.

Yeah some people got carried away. Going as far as saying "it IS a gavin song". It is pretty obvious it is U2, and Gavin's biographer confirmed it was U2. Now we have Willie's tour diary also confirming it is U2

Back
Top Bottom