U2 Glastonbury Setlist Prediction - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:51 AM
So it was just a preemptive strike?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Yeah I don't like Muse

Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiarockstar View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if they played a setlist that kind of went through their career progression?

1. Out of Control
2. I Will Follow
3. Gloria
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. Two Hearts Beat as One
6. Pride
7. Bad
8. Streets
9. I Still Haven't Found what I'm looking For
10. With or Without You
11. Angel of Harlem
12. Desire / Hawkmoon 269
13. The Fly / Acrobat snippet
14. One
15. Mysterious Ways
16. Stay
17. Miss Sarajevo
18. Please
19. Gone

Encore
20. Beautiful Day
21. Walk On
22. City of Blinding Lights
23. Vertigo

2nd Encore
24. No Line on the Horizon
25. Magnificent
26. 40 (has to end the show)

I'd of course rather them play some non-hits, but this would also be cool. (I know this song transitions aren't really all that great for a show and this is one reason why they just don't play the songs back to back).
Yes!

This is awesome!

I've always thought of something like this, but really, really well done

A solid, at least semi recognizable song from each era.

As for your comment about transitions, look at the set you made again and run through it a few times in your mind.

I think you'll find they transition very well!

Not something they should do on a regular basis, but will it work and then some for a Glastonbury type show?

I think so, flying colors!

A few comments:

-Out of Control was a great opener on War. It opened the Red Rocks show with a tremendous burst of energy that set the tone for one of U2's best shows ever.

-Gloria-SBS works well because the outro of Gloria, with its rapid fire fills and cymbal crashes and the drum solo intro of SBS, both star Larry.

-It is very realistic already, but cut IWF or Angel of Harlem for NYD and it gets even more so. Not that I would suggest that, everyone at the show is damn well familiar with NYD and will not die if this is the one hit they don't hear. I have walked out of a lot of shows w/ casual fans going "where the hell was WOWY or Still Haven't Found or MW or Desire or Pride," but for some reason, never anything about NYD.

-Two Hearts Beat As One is the PERFECT lesser known song to put in. That song has unbelievable energy and live resonance and I think its a (somewhat hidden gem). Its controversial here a bit, but you don't get more raw energy mixed with great performances from all band members and loads of fun to top it off in too many songs!

Good job picking a lesser known and not an obscure, I think people tend to think "2 Hearts, who knows that, super fans?" while forgetting that it held its own and then some on the radio in its day! Even if people do not know it, it will resonate if performed even 1/3 as well as they did it in the 80s, and if we know U2, it will probably be done 4/3 as well!

-Miss Sarajevo, good pick. Not well known, but the story plus Bono belting out that opera is bound to go down well!

-40 has to end.

-Love the idea of including a good amount of early stuff that may not be as well known to the radio masses, but is a big part of U2's live history. Out of Control , I Will Follow, Gloria, Bad and 40 have too much history as live staples with frequent epic performances to sit out a "once in a lifetime U2 event!" The live part of U2 is, after all, what is being showcased as much as anything else to the world!

Sorry to ramble, but one of the best posts I've read here in a long time!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
No Line On The Horizon
Elevation
Stay
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
NEW SONG
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
_____

One
Where The Streets Have No Name
_____

Ultraviolet
Even Better Then The Real Thing
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender
Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #50
The Fly

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Seriously, if they did the career progression setlist, it just might be the best concert EVER.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:51 AM
and would be a gift to cynical reviewers keen to point out what they'd call a 'decline' over 30 years
Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
and would be a gift to cynical reviewers keen to point out what they'd call a 'decline' over 30 years
How so?

No one honest with themselves could say that 24 and 25 mark a glaring step down from 1-10.

If someone got off the boat at Walk On or COBL or Magnificent, then I'm glad I stayed on!!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
Yes!

This is awesome!

I've always thought of something like this, but really, really well done

A solid, at least semi recognizable song from each era.

As for your comment about transitions, look at the set you made again and run through it a few times in your mind.

I think you'll find they transition very well!

Not something they should do on a regular basis, but will it work and then some for a Glastonbury type show?

I think so, flying colors!

A few comments:

-Out of Control was a great opener on War. It opened the Red Rocks show with a tremendous burst of energy that set the tone for one of U2's best shows ever.

-Gloria-SBS works well because the outro of Gloria, with its rapid fire fills and cymbal crashes and the drum solo intro of SBS, both star Larry.

-It is very realistic already, but cut IWF or Angel of Harlem for NYD and it gets even more so. Not that I would suggest that, everyone at the show is damn well familiar with NYD and will not die if this is the one hit they don't hear. I have walked out of a lot of shows w/ casual fans going "where the hell was WOWY or Still Haven't Found or MW or Desire or Pride," but for some reason, never anything about NYD.

-Two Hearts Beat As One is the PERFECT lesser known song to put in. That song has unbelievable energy and live resonance and I think its a (somewhat hidden gem). Its controversial here a bit, but you don't get more raw energy mixed with great performances from all band members and loads of fun to top it off in too many songs!

Good job picking a lesser known and not an obscure, I think people tend to think "2 Hearts, who knows that, super fans?" while forgetting that it held its own and then some on the radio in its day! Even if people do not know it, it will resonate if performed even 1/3 as well as they did it in the 80s, and if we know U2, it will probably be done 4/3 as well!

-Miss Sarajevo, good pick. Not well known, but the story plus Bono belting out that opera is bound to go down well!

-40 has to end.

-Love the idea of including a good amount of early stuff that may not be as well known to the radio masses, but is a big part of U2's live history. Out of Control , I Will Follow, Gloria, Bad and 40 have too much history as live staples with frequent epic performances to sit out a "once in a lifetime U2 event!" The live part of U2 is, after all, what is being showcased as much as anything else to the world!

Sorry to ramble, but one of the best posts I've read here in a long time!
LOVE. 40 better end, Gloria and SBS sound perfect. Hopefully Bono won't ramble.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #54
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
No one honest with themselves could say that 24 and 25 mark a glaring step down from 1-10.
I guess I'm not honest with myself then.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I guess I'm not honest with myself then.
You don't like NLOTH and Magnificent?

I just don't see how an objective reviewer could say that No Line On The Horizon and Magnificent represent the bottom of a career in steady decline.

No Line On The Horizon is one of the best songs they've written in a long time and Magnificent is the closest they have come since to matching an 80s anthem like Pride, A Sort of Homecoming or In God's Country.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
I just don't see how an objective reviewer could say that No Line On The Horizon and Magnificent represent the bottom of a career in steady decline.

No Line On The Horizon is one of the best songs they've written in a long time and Magnificent is the closest they have come since to matching an 80s anthem like Pride, A Sort of Homecoming or In God's Country.
there's an argument that suggests when put in a list as earlier the individual songs stack up great with the previous decades, but the body of work as a whole is weaker now than it used to be. in light of that school of thought, you'd have to be a very "cynical reviewer" to make the claim of gradual decline.

i think the most cynical reviewers - the casual fans - have spoken, especially on no line on the horizon. i still think that of the newer songs that received the best reaction when i saw them live, and as much as i can't stand much of the body of work from the 2000s, it not being the lead single is the biggest mistake they made in that decade.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Quote:

It was more a general point regarding recent output being the shadow of the eighties material, to be honest. The actual setlist is fairly favourably selected for me to say it's NOT a glaring step down; weak eighties picks (be they weak studio songs like THBAO or ISHFWILF, or songs rubbish live these days, like Pride or WOWY) vs two of NLOTH's better songs. Almost any other conceivable selection, and the step down really is glaring to me. For the record, I think NLOTH is a scorching live track, but Magnificent is not half what the eighties anthems are, and much like its ancestor Pride, it isn't as good live as studio.

As a cynical reviewer, I would suggest the first encore represents the true bottom of a nosediving career, with the second encore a well-meaning attempt to climb back to previous heights.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 AM
U2, in tribute to their various influences over the years, will perform a show consisting entirely of covers!

-----
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Please Please Me
Ticket to Ride
Help!
Love Me Do
It Won't Be Long Now
Taxman
Sun King
Yellow Submarine
Tomorrow Never Knows
Love You To
Helter Skelter
Norwegian Wood
Getting Better
Strawberry Fields Forever
Hey Jude/Live Forever snippet/Wonderwall snippet/Slide Away snippet/Champagne Supernova snippet
----
I Am the Walrus (Bono solo, on top of moving hippie van traversing the grounds)
Drumming Is My Madness
Temporary Secretary
Viva la Vida
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #59
45:33

Quote:

in your opinion.

in my opinion, placing Magnificent with those songs is blasphemous.

see?

i for one, would definitely not want a chronological setlist like that. ew
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=U2387;6759301 How so?

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind this IS the U2 internet fandom.