Pride... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Pride...

Hearing Bono & the band talk about how "Pride" met so much to them to play it on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where MLK gave his "I have a dream" speech made me think.

U2 should never play this song again.

If a song ever came full circle wouldn't it be "Pride"? Even though this song needs a much needed break I don't think U2 could ever top playing it live again.

Then again by them playing it on the Lincoln Memorial during the Obama inauguration could backfire & inspire them to keep playing it

Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Sunday Bloody Sunday came full circle too with peace in Ireland. In the 80's Bono would say it is a song they hope to never have to sing again. The moment for that came and went and they still played it. I thought that was wrong. Anyway it means we can't assume they'll put some sort of 'full stop' to Pride after having played it at the inauguration. That said, they really do need to retire Pride.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
War Child

For a song to come full circle and have a rebirth seems an obvious reason to never play it again.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Actually, they initially did stop playing SBS. Bono felt they couldn't top the RAH performance of it, hence its total absence from the Lovetown Tour. It didn't reappear until the third leg of ZooTV.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 12:29 AM
I fear pride in un-killable, its always the default TUF song
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
War Child

Pride must go- it was even sounding tired on Zoo Tv. That says everything really. There are so many other good songs from TUF that deserve a spot- Wire, A Sort Of Homecoming, UF etc.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 05:29 PM
I think Pride should still be played but giving it a break for a tour or two wouldnt hurt IMO.Also if they do play Pride for this tour which I think they will they should merge MLK right after it.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Pride = needs a rest, big time....it was dreadful on the last tour.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Pride, Streets, WOWY, MW, One, IWF all need a well deserved rest. They have been completely overplayed.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:29 AM
I don't think that Pride needs any rest. I'm not tired of that song, as well as One, WOWY, Streets ir whatever. 80% of the attendees will want to hear those songs - that's why they're there for.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

agree with all of that except Pride.....I think One and WOWY should be played. Maybe not every night. Would be cool if they could switch it out with "All I Want is You", "Kite", "Stuck in a Moment" (acoustic)....and so on...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
The Fly

Streets will never be retired, rested or anything else... It is an energy song that completely grabs the crowd... I believe Larry Mullen made a comment recently about Streets effects on the live crowd
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip51 View Post
Streets will never be retired, rested or anything else... It is an energy song that completely grabs the crowd... I believe Larry Mullen made a comment recently about Streets effects on the live crowd
Playing devils advocate, on the other hand say they did not play Streets then the crowd wouldn't depart from the concert totally (and inversely) bummed out. Some might. But in the varying setlist scenario (one that U2 have really only followed on one tour) that's the rough and tumble.

Anyway, this tour being stadiums only means it will predominately be one concert per city with only a few exceptions around the world. More than ever this will cause U2 to slip back into fixed setlist mode. So one can almost guarantee Streets will be played every night. The same probably goes for Pride as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Actually, they initially did stop playing SBS. Bono felt they couldn't top the RAH performance of it, hence its total absence from the Lovetown Tour. It didn't reappear until the third leg of ZooTV.
Lovetown was better for it... and ZooTV's SBS performances were probably that song's worst. Which is saying something... I don't hold live performances of the song in very high regard... but the song's just one big undeveloped promise to me, anyway.

But yeah, Pride needs to go. Fine song on the album, but they've never played it well live.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

Incidentally, I've posted this before, but Pride HAS been dropped, albeit briefly. It missed the first eight Elevation gigs, plus two more later on in the first leg, then on the second leg it was in rotation with The Fly as the main set closer and was played at only approximately half of that leg's gigs. It was only on the third leg that it regained its status as a nightly staple.

Bono also wanted to ditch the song before Popmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Lovetown was better for it... and ZooTV's SBS performances were probably that song's worst. Which is saying something... I don't hold live performances of the song in very high regard... but the song's just one big undeveloped promise to me, anyway.

But yeah, Pride needs to go. Fine song on the album, but they've never played it well live.
I'd say ZooTV SBS was considerably better than either of the last tours, but either way, it was not exactly a memorable version of the song. Giving up on it after JT was a good move and I wish they'd stuck to it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Pride should go forever

SBS should be played the way they did in 87

Streets should never go

One only randomly (will never happen)

Bullet randomly

NYD randomly

I will follow randomly
Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrazilianFly View Post
Pride, Streets, WOWY, MW, One, IWF all need a well deserved rest. They have been completely overplayed.
I totally agree with you but it will never happen. I mean, look at all the tours. When it boils down to it, their sets are pretty predictable. I could see MW and IWF getting a rest, MAYBE even WOWY, but probably not Pride, Streets, and One.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrazilianFly View Post
agree except streets .. streets must never die ...
Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RademR View Post
Pride = needs a rest, big time....it was dreadful on the last tour.
umm, not really...it was infinitely better than elevation and popmart.....
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 12:29 AM
I won`t mind to see Pride finally get dropped.
The studio version is just compared to the live versions.

But I also won`t mind to see ISHFWILF & SBS & WOWY & One go
The two warhorses that should stay are NYD & Streets.

Cheers ,

Mauwer
p.s. Also a tour without Mysterious Ways can be quite refreshing?

Tags
pride