Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramblin, I know you went to Barca in 2005 as well. Do you really think the crowd this time was as 'into it','pumped' whatever you want to call it?

I thought the Vertigo Barca show was THE best show i had ever seen yet i'd already seen the show 3 times.
I thought the shows last week were great and enjoyed them, yet they seemed to lack 'something'. I dont think it was just early in the tour type 'something' though

btw i think NLOTH >>>> HTDAAB

I hear what you're saying. In 2005 I had already seen about 6 shows in the states and had been reading the European setlists for most of the summer so I knew what to expect. For this opening night I was seeing a show for the first time without having even read the rehearsal setlist. It was very exciting for me and I love NLOTH and had great anticipation to hear UC, MOS, Magnificent and GOYB.

For 360 I thought the crowd on opening night was definitely on fire. I thought the crowd on night 2 was more reserved but then picked up steam towards the end.

The only thing I will say is that nothing can compare to the Wake Up/COBL one two punch that was the Vertigo Tour opening. I can probably concede that this show needs a more spectacular opening.

Maybe they should try the Crazy Remix as the opener. That would definitely get the crowd pumped up. :love:

Thats what im trying to get at. Im trying not to knock the staticness(such a word?) or song choices. But the set just doesnt lift off from the start. The intro is not long enough to build up the anticipation. 2005 had Wake up then Vertigo, IWF, Electric Co, 3 knockout punches to start with. Breathe,NLOTH and Boots just doesnt give lift off and before you know it you're into an acoustic set

fwiw Breathe sounds fine as an opener on the recordings, usually its the other way round:huh:

Case in point. YOU want to hear those songs, but many want WOWY and SBS because they know them.

quote]

How can you verify this? Discotheque was a number one hit in the UK and right across Europe, HMTMKMKM was huge as well. A fairly well-informed casual fan would know those songs. And even if you disagree with that, what is wrong with playing rarer material to a large audience? I saw Bruce Springsteen play to 45,000 people at Old Trafford last year- he did It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City, Trapped, Night etc, songs a casual fan could not name yet they went down as well as any of the others and probably gave them something new to enjoy. Apart from one or two untouchables (Streets and possibly BD) it is just not good enough to play a tired-sounding song every night solely because people are deemed to know it.

How can you verify this? Discotheque was a number one hit in the UK and right across Europe, HMTMKMKM was huge as well. A fairly well-informed casual fan would know those songs. And even if you disagree with that, what is wrong with playing rarer material to a large audience?
Sure they would know them but would they get the same reaction? I think Hold Me would work in this set, but I'm not so sure about Disco...

I think it's all about the energy the band is looking for with their song selection. WOWY is played towards the end because they know it will get the crowd into it, so even they are tired that song is like an automatic shot to the audience. I agree, I don't think WOWY has been good since JT, I think as soon as Bono started to sing it as Mac he killed the song and he's been singing it that way ever since, but I know why they choose it.

I agree that the intro needs more work. It just goes right into it and Breathe is not the right song for an opener... love the song but not as an opener. I would open with Boots instead. Moment of Surrender needs more work... sounds too slow. Doesn't give me the big impact as in the album version. Yes, drop SBS.... please!!! Add some other rockers in there. :wave:

Is this an opinion or fact? and i dont see any "recycle of the cocepts" at all, but its just about right for people to start bitching when a tour has just begun it happens all the time.
Both. It's no secret that this tour has nothing really innovative in its concept and that most of the spectacle elements are taken from the last tours, there's nothing really new.

Even though there are very different opinions expressed by people in this thread, I have to say there is something I agree with in what everyone is saying here.

My observations: THE GOOD
1.)Overall, I am not bitching. U2 is back on tour for the first time since 2006, and just 3 shows in, everyone is on top of their game and Bono is sounding great. UF and UV are back, and Electrical storm is finally in the set! I would say if you had constructed a super thread/poll of what songs interference wants back, everyone pick 3, then UF, UV, and ES could have easily won. Things have been mixed up to some extent, Angel, Party girl, stuck, Desire, Electrical storm, in a little while, etc. The claw looks great, everyone in attendance seems to be having a great time, the PA system is enormous and sounds great even with crappy bootlegs.
2.)WHAT COULD IMPROVE? THE OPENER: no suprises here, like many, I think Breathe is a great song but just not as an opener. A U2 stadium show is about a massive build up to a massive opening, lights flashing, visuals, etc- just look at your Sydney Zoo TV or Popmart Mexico DVDs. Something is missing here, and its noticeable given the stage design, there is just so much more they could do. I think the best bet would be to have some kind of intro video like Zoo TV, use the claw lights, etc, then segue that into the opening they were using for Boots on the tv appearances. GOYB then goes into Even Better than the real thing or a FULL BAND LOVETOWN VERSION of Desire. Then NLOTH. That would add some pop to the opening. As it is now, it just lacks energy.
THIS SETLIST IS TOO STRUCTURED: There is the usual open with 3 rockers, then a couple of uplifting anthems(Magnificent, BD) then Still Havent found, then a few spots that are rotated nightly, usually songs like Angel or in a little while or a neutered version of Desire(Elevation tour anyone?). Now a new song(UC), a well liked recent cut(COBL), a resurrected classic(UF),a new song(CT remix) then SBS starts a long list of political songs that ends with the main set at One(Vertigo tour anyone?). Then we are back for a short encore of UV(great!), then a boring WOWY(Elevation style this time, it really needs a rest and has been a disappointment on 360 so far- where the hell is the Tokyo 2006 version, Bono??). MOS is a good closer. This setlist suffers from being so structured- you really cant find a place for a songs like Dirty Day, Exit, Gone, LNOE and Please. If you replace one of the songs in the long political set, you lose the flow. Please would fit where SBS is some nights, but then again, why take out a rocker when that is what this set has lacked? Time to abandon the Elevation/Vertigo structure in favor of a JT/Lovetown approach. Walk on, Desmond>>Streets makes the political point that is part of U2 that I love, they dont need SBS, Pride, MLK, One all in the same order every night. How about Silver and Gold sometimes?
MORE UPBEAT SONGS TO GO WITH THE CLAW/VISUALS:UF and UV, great for the atmosphere, no complaints about these. However, the claw just screams for songs like Hold me thrill me..., LNOE, EBTTRT, full band Desire(360 version sucks), MW, MOFO, Holy Joe. No need for an arena setlist in a stadium.
ROTATION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME: One, Pride, SBS, BD, COBL, Vertigo, Still havent found- still love hearing all of these. However, no need for them all to be in the setlist together every single night. Make a list of the hit parade, and pick 4 or 5 per night as opposed to all of them.
WOWY SHOULD BE ON ITS LAST CHANCE:We all still love it, but the band should give Bono a few more shows to sing it right or lose it for the entire tour. I watched the video of last night, and Bono IS the problem here. Edge and Adam still play it very well, Larry still pounds away and does most of the fills, ETC. Macphisto got a hold of this and it has been crap since, absent a few inspired versions on Vertigo tour. Time for Please or Stay or something else that INTERESTS BONO. It is clear that, after singing ultraviolet so well just before it, he just does not care about this and so goes through the motions, even if he could pull out a JT version if he really wanted to.

Those who think this set is perfect and no one should point out areas to improve are wrong.

The shows have been great, a few adjustments and they can be even better.
!
BINGO! You hit the nail!!!

Wrong. Noone ha the right to point them out unless they are at the show. I don't think the setlist is perfect, but I acknowledge that no-one has the right to decide what it is best for the band to play to any particular crowd on any particular night. Peple are selfish and just want good bootlegs every night.
That's not the point. When you have a show, ther's got to be a concept behind it. This setlist doesn't reflect the spirit of what NLOTH promissed and not even close to what The Claw/Stadium Tour concept needs.

Zoo TV: Zoo Station, rocked the house!
POPmart: Mofo, need I say more!?
Elevation tour: Elevation, got the crowd going.
Vertigo tour: Vertigo, kicked ass.
360 Tour: Breathe.... mmmm.... ok, good song but not an interesting opener.

Breathe simply is not a great opening song. I think that is the major problem with the setlist. From what I have heard it seems to start the show with a thud. I don't understand where the band are coming from using it as the opener. They obviously think it works though for some reason. :shrug:

The stage looks awesome, can't wait to see it! Looking forward to Unf. Fire, NLOTH and Ultraviolet. The rest..... well at least I get to see the greatest band live. It just seems like the setlist could be so much better. Vertigo and Elevation blew this tour away so far setlist wise. Maybe I will change my mind when I see it and hear it in person. But so far this tour setlist structure seems a bit flat.

Even the really static tours like Zoo TV and Popmart had a great structure to them. They just never changed them or rarely did.

That's not the point. When you have a show, ther's got to be a concept behind it. This setlist doesn't reflect the spirit of what NLOTH promissed and not even close to what The Claw/Stadium Tour concept needs.

It is their show, and if they think it is right, then your point is invalid. Also, 4 shows in... Is anyone actually comprehending that??? FOUR SHOWS!!! Give them more than 5 minutes to work the show out.

You people are so impetuous!

I'm a little annoyed that after the tease of the Drowning Man rehearsal we haven't gotten it yet, but I assume it's coming. Other than that I'd say we've gotten more variety than I expected; if that's a problem for anyone they you're probably following the wrong band.

Also invariable the complainers are looking for them to play (insert 90s obscurity that wasn't that popular when it was released). I mean, seriously, Holy Joe? LNOE? Zooropa? The minute I see one of these the rest of the post reads "blah blah blah" to me, because it's just not realistic. I'd love them to play Like a Song, Wire, and Hawkmoon...but if I posted endlessly about it I'd be called out as a fool, and rightfully so. Sadly Acrobat isn't walking through that door.

I'm a little annoyed that after the tease of the Drowning Man rehearsal we haven't gotten it yet, but I assume it's coming.

I really think they're waiting for Dublin, they'll have to mix it up a bit more with three shows there.

I heard it being rehearsed in Barcelona the night of the rehearsal show and it sounded too good for them to not end of playing it.

From a personal taste perspective, the current setlists doesn't excite me that much, but U2 aren't playing a show for me.

It's quite a satisfying and encpasulative setlist in terms of song selection.

Ultraviolet (16 years), Unforgettable Fire (20 years), Electrical Storm (debut after 7 years of existence) - how do these songs not satisfy the hardcore fans like ourselves? We'd never have imagined some of these songs being returned (or played for the first time) and they have been played!

Unknown Caller - a strange studio experiment; surprised they're playing this one live (as opposed to SUC or White As Snow), but they are!

When I went to my first U2 gig in Melbourne in '06, I'd arrived being a little underwhelmed by the greatest-hits-ness of the previous Australian Vertigo Tour setlists. I was accepting of it due to how long it had been since they'd played in Melbourne, but I wanted some of the Glorias and An Cat Dubhs and Wild Horses they'd played on the European and North American legs.

But the highlights of that night were Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day and Pride. I didn't need my beloved Gloria or Zoo Station or Love Comes Tumbling. I came to realise why U2 consistently preserved so many of their hits, because they have unfathomable power and resonance live. Why not stick with the proven ecstatic moments?

I for one, would be disappointed if they didn't play SBS or BD next time I go and see them, because I know how awesome they are when you're actually at the gig. It doesn't matter what 23 songs they are, just as long as they're U2 songs performed by U2.

I'm sick and tired of some of the cry babies over here. U2 can't please everyone. ''U2 should do this or that''. UF, Ultraviolet, Electrical Storm....very boring indeed....:lol:

I really think they're waiting for Dublin, they'll have to mix it up a bit more with three shows there.

I heard it being rehearsed in Barcelona the night of the rehearsal show and it sounded too good for them to not end of playing it.

That would be very cool. Not as cool as Vertigo (because I was there :D ) but cool.

From a personal taste perspective, the current setlists doesn't excite me that much, but U2 aren't playing a show for me.

Those BASTARDS!

:wink:

ok to all people bitching about the setlist

... THEY HAVE ONLY PLAYED 4 SHOWS!!! BE GRATEFUL THESE GODS OF MUSIC ARE PLAYING AT ALL... FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT!

We need to all stop being "setlist snobs" Let's just relax and enjoy great shows and great music! It is not about statistics or "rare" songs, it is about having a great time at a concert! :D

I do agree that the tour lacks any kind of interesting "gift-wrapping" like the concepts of ZooTV and PopMart...hell even Elevation.

The stage is amazing, but beyond plonking a stage in the middle of giant stadiums, I'm a bit disappointed with Willie Williams who is usually top notch.

This will probably change once I see them live of course, but for the moment from live video I miss the gramd concepts of their previous megatours.

from live video I miss the gramd concepts of their previous megatours.

the thing is here too, they do more with the visuals as they go. not that vertigo was anything amazing, at least in the US with the arenas, they did add much more as time went with the light curtains etc.

the zooropa/achtung slot machines weren't even added till half way through the first leg, am i correct there? i think so. it takes them awhile to hit stride visually as well as musically once they have it tested and rolling and can see how the crowd reacts etc. new ideas come all the time from these guys. i'm sure seeing it live is a different beast anyway.

the coolest visual i saw on V tour happened 9/17 in Toronto with the pop muzik/pop faces/ radio dial/ pop symbols :drool: and that obviously didn't happen till late in the tour :wink:

It's quite a satisfying and encpasulative setlist in terms of song selection.

Ultraviolet (16 years), Unforgettable Fire (20 years), Electrical Storm (debut after 7 years of existence) - how do these songs not satisfy the hardcore fans like ourselves? We'd never have imagined some of these songs being returned (or played for the first time) and they have been played!

Unknown Caller - a strange studio experiment; surprised they're playing this one live (as opposed to SUC or White As Snow), but they are!

When I went to my first U2 gig in Melbourne in '06, I'd arrived being a little underwhelmed by the greatest-hits-ness of the previous Australian Vertigo Tour setlists. I was accepting of it due to how long it had been since they'd played in Melbourne, but I wanted some of the Glorias and An Cat Dubhs and Wild Horses they'd played on the European and North American legs.

But the highlights of that night were Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day and Pride. I didn't need my beloved Gloria or Zoo Station or Love Comes Tumbling. I came to realise why U2 consistently preserved so many of their hits, because they have unfathomable power and resonance live. Why not stick with the proven ecstatic moments?

I for one, would be disappointed if they didn't play SBS or BD next time I go and see them, because I know how awesome they are when you're actually at the gig. It doesn't matter what 23 songs they are, just as long as they're U2 songs performed by U2.

great post. thank you. :up:

I've listened to boots of three of the four shows that have been played... I think the band and Bono sound better than they have since '93. This is the U2 that I used to worry had disappeared forever. And they're playing Ultraviolet, UF and Electrical Storm? And they finally dropped Bullet? And the new songs are brilliant? Why are people complaining? It's not like they spent the last six tours mixing up the setlist every night.

Even though there are very different opinions expressed by people in this thread, I have to say there is something I agree with in what everyone is saying here.

My observations: THE GOOD
1.)Overall, I am not bitching. U2 is back on tour for the first time since 2006, and just 3 shows in, everyone is on top of their game and Bono is sounding great. UF and UV are back, and Electrical storm is finally in the set! I would say if you had constructed a super thread/poll of what songs interference wants back, everyone pick 3, then UF, UV, and ES could have easily won. Things have been mixed up to some extent, Angel, Party girl, stuck, Desire, Electrical storm, in a little while, etc. The claw looks great, everyone in attendance seems to be having a great time, the PA system is enormous and sounds great even with crappy bootlegs.
2.)WHAT COULD IMPROVE? THE OPENER: no suprises here, like many, I think Breathe is a great song but just not as an opener. A U2 stadium show is about a massive build up to a massive opening, lights flashing, visuals, etc- just look at your Sydney Zoo TV or Popmart Mexico DVDs. Something is missing here, and its noticeable given the stage design, there is just so much more they could do. I think the best bet would be to have some kind of intro video like Zoo TV, use the claw lights, etc, then segue that into the opening they were using for Boots on the tv appearances. GOYB then goes into Even Better than the real thing or a FULL BAND LOVETOWN VERSION of Desire. Then NLOTH. That would add some pop to the opening. As it is now, it just lacks energy.
THIS SETLIST IS TOO STRUCTURED: There is the usual open with 3 rockers, then a couple of uplifting anthems(Magnificent, BD) then Still Havent found, then a few spots that are rotated nightly, usually songs like Angel or in a little while or a neutered version of Desire(Elevation tour anyone?). Now a new song(UC), a well liked recent cut(COBL), a resurrected classic(UF),a new song(CT remix) then SBS starts a long list of political songs that ends with the main set at One(Vertigo tour anyone?). Then we are back for a short encore of UV(great!), then a boring WOWY(Elevation style this time, it really needs a rest and has been a disappointment on 360 so far- where the hell is the Tokyo 2006 version, Bono??). MOS is a good closer. This setlist suffers from being so structured- you really cant find a place for a songs like Dirty Day, Exit, Gone, LNOE and Please. If you replace one of the songs in the long political set, you lose the flow. Please would fit where SBS is some nights, but then again, why take out a rocker when that is what this set has lacked? Time to abandon the Elevation/Vertigo structure in favor of a JT/Lovetown approach. Walk on, Desmond>>Streets makes the political point that is part of U2 that I love, they dont need SBS, Pride, MLK, One all in the same order every night. How about Silver and Gold sometimes?
MORE UPBEAT SONGS TO GO WITH THE CLAW/VISUALS:UF and UV, great for the atmosphere, no complaints about these. However, the claw just screams for songs like Hold me thrill me..., LNOE, EBTTRT, full band Desire(360 version sucks), MW, MOFO, Holy Joe. No need for an arena setlist in a stadium.
ROTATION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME: One, Pride, SBS, BD, COBL, Vertigo, Still havent found- still love hearing all of these. However, no need for them all to be in the setlist together every single night. Make a list of the hit parade, and pick 4 or 5 per night as opposed to all of them.
WOWY SHOULD BE ON ITS LAST CHANCE:We all still love it, but the band should give Bono a few more shows to sing it right or lose it for the entire tour. I watched the video of last night, and Bono IS the problem here. Edge and Adam still play it very well, Larry still pounds away and does most of the fills, ETC. Macphisto got a hold of this and it has been crap since, absent a few inspired versions on Vertigo tour. Time for Please or Stay or something else that INTERESTS BONO. It is clear that, after singing ultraviolet so well just before it, he just does not care about this and so goes through the motions, even if he could pull out a JT version if he really wanted to.

Those who think this set is perfect and no one should point out areas to improve are wrong.

Those who are complaining like this is the end of U2, they are mailing it in and boring now are equally wrong.

The shows have been great, a few adjustments and they can be even better.

Just some observations, only 4 shows and plenty of time to get it right!

Well said and I agree with you 100%.......having said that I believe this Tour will be the highlight of the decade. The CLAW is fantastic and I don't see them stopping experimenting with it - I believe they will change up the set-list more to see what works best!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom