Who should direct the next DVD ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From what we heard about it, 360 tour looks like another big flashy spectacular technology-driven spectacular show closer to their 90's shows than the more stripped down tours of this decade, which ought to call for a different director.

Who would you pick ? Should they try getting the director for Zoo TV and Popmart back (Mallet) or should they try someone new ?

My suggestion is Anton Corbijn. He's done photographs of U2, their best videos, now Linear ... the only thing left IMO is a full blown DVD. I haven't seen the live videos he directed for Depeche Mode (one night in Paris, devotional) though ... can anyone comment on his style ?

Whoever it is, just keep the shot steady for at least 5-8 seconds. I don't want to watch a U2 show edited like a MTV award show/Pokemon episode.

Maybe get the director of U2:3D. There were some amazing shots it that. Mallet did a great job too, especially with Popmart. Felt like I was at the show.

I agree about using the U2:3D team! A lot of what they did was pretty simple and merely came off as a lot more interesting (imo) because of the 3D element—ie. having a microphone stand pass between the camera and edge, utilizing foreground and background, etc.—but the film was a solid concert DVD by any standards. Will be interesting when we learn who's directing!

U23D was directed my Mark Pellington and Catherine Owens.

"The directing situation was also unusual. Owens took overall creative control. She had the vision, and was involved in every aspect from beginning to end. However, the actual directing of shots at each concert was done by Mark Pellington, who had done such feature films as “Arlington Road” and “The Mothman Prophesies.” He had also directed the “One” music video for U2. When crucial decisions were made in post, however, it was Owens calling the shots.

NothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamishNothamish

I'd love to see Corbijn make one.

We should!!!:hyper:

I think they should do something similar to what the Beastie Boys did and gave cameras to audience members and edited them together, mash that in with a pro...

And do more than one location.

Either Corbijn or the U23D team. The 90s DVDs were filmed well (I'd say that PopMart was filmed better than ZooTV), but the filming for U23D was nothing short of spectacular. Too bad the setlist was mediocre at best.

MARTIN SCORSESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

three words: Not Hamish Hamiltion

U23D should not do it, solely for how badly they fucked up filming the guitar solo on The Fly. If you don't even show the guitarist during the guitar solo ... you don't know how to direct a show.

The guy who did ZooTV and Popmart was phenomenal.

Patrick Daughters

He's young and did an amazing job on Depeche Mode's Wrong video!

I really would love to see Phil Joneau (Rattle and Hum) directing this. Or Richard Löwenstein (Sdney Lovetown Special). Would be also very curious how Martin Scorsesee sees the band (and this would't be impossible - the directed some great concerts and is also friend of the band).

I really do not like to see Hamish Hamilton again - that would be horrible. But I also don't want to see Catherine Owens. U2 3D could have been much better. Mark Pellington directed the Fly in U2 3D I think. And this was by far the best minutes in U2 3D - he's a proffesionall. Would be cool if he did a whole U2 movie.

Godley - some of my fav videos are Godley

Sweetest Thing/Numb (for those who like longer shots than Hamish ;))
EBTTRT
HMTMKMKM
LIB

Hamish :down: He killed space & atmosphere and missed pivotal moments of the performances during Vertigo shows with his 1/2 second camera switches. I had a blast at Chicago 1-4 and he made them look boring.

Owens & Corbijn together!!!:up::up::up:

Just so you guys know, it's U2 that ask for the quick cut edits. It hides their wrinkels and mkes the concert "more exciting". I've read the HH trashing over the past 6-7 years.

I just watched the new Stevie Wonder live DVD that is great with long edits. It's directed by Hamish, probably with little video imput from Stevie. HH also did the Peter Gabril Growing Up live DVD - that's fine. The Brit Awards he did was good. His MTV Euro MVAs was also good. He even did a 2003 Avril Lavigne DVD that had OK edits. The non-U2 videos don't have the "blurry, arty" shots seen in some u2 live Hamish clips.

Notice a pattern here? U2 have been sensitive about their age and all their videos have weird effects/lighting/edits to distract the viewer. Vain guy our little Bono.

BTW, U23D had longer edits because the effect was lost on on viewers for short edits that U2 original requested.

Back
Top Bottom