U2 360° Tour - Could the tour have had a better name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anderson_podcast-thumb.jpg

Cooooooooooooooper!

Anyway...

I don't like the name...at all..."PopMart" seems like an amazing Tour name next to this...

U2 seem to like the numbers. I think 360 is a cool name, even though it won't be really 360. It's just giving me a hard time to say: U2 360 (degree) tour. I'm not so good with numbers. I would have prefered something else, but I still think 360 looks cool as a name. It's simple, a little mysterious, open to some cabalistic interpretation. Who knows, maybe they'll play 360 shows in the end :wink:

It sounds like the tour is being sponsored by Microsoft.

When I first heard the title I imagined the band just standing on the stage playing rock band on the xbox 360 for 2 hours.

Original Intent of Post

My posting was originally concerned about the title (theme) of the tour and its relation to the album. I still don't see the connection between 360 degrees and the album. And because I love the new album, I am worried that the tour is becoming more a 'greatest hits' tour, one that promotes the stage set up, than one that promotes the new album.

While it easy for us eber-fans to want to see a new tour regardless of tour name - for all we care, it can be callled the Poopy World U2 tour, and we would still buy 20-30 concerts tickets.

An underlying issue is whether the tour (with its heavy promotion on the stage set up, and not necessarily the new album), will further de-link U2 as being musically and artistically relevant.

We should think outside our sycophantic understanding of U2, and consider what the wider public thinks of NLOTH.

In any event, I need to note, that while this may seem trivial and interesting to navel gaze about, it still won't stop me from seeing them over 20 times in Europe and NA ;)

Cheers,
Joe

In any event, I need to note, that while this may seem trivial and interesting to navel gaze about, it still won't stop me from seeing them over 20 times in Europe and NA ;)

Cheers,
Joe

You the man, Joe! Personally, I think between the choices they had, U2360 or Kiss The Future Tour, I still prefer U2360. Just as long as I can still pronounce it and not use some sort of symbol like The Man Who Was Previously Known As Prince and Now Is Prince Again...

My posting was originally concerned about the title (theme) of the tour and its relation to the album. I still don't see the connection between 360 degrees and the album. And because I love the new album, I am worried that the tour is becoming more a 'greatest hits' tour, one that promotes the stage set up, than one that promotes the new album.

While it easy for us eber-fans to want to see a new tour regardless of tour name - for all we care, it can be callled the Poopy World U2 tour, and we would still buy 20-30 concerts tickets.

An underlying issue is whether the tour (with its heavy promotion on the stage set up, and not necessarily the new album), will further de-link U2 as being musically and artistically relevant.

We should think outside our sycophantic understanding of U2, and consider what the wider public thinks of NLOTH.

Cheers,
Joe

I think all of these issues have been discussed in here you've just chosen to ignore them...

ZooTv was about the stage, a shared word "Zoo" isn't the greatest tie in to an album.

Plus I still think there can be a connection with 360 and a horizon...

This won't be a greatest hits tour... no more than the past tour.

I think most people (ie., not the rabid fans) will simply think of it as "that U2 tour" instead of any particular name. And all they have to do to promote the album name when mentioning the tour is to say "The U2 360 Tour in support of No Line on the Horizon". I just don't think it's that big a deal. :shrug:

i was wondering about this the other day and thought maybe there's a link between 360 and the linear/non-linear thing? as in "time is irrelevant it's not linear", full circle type of vibe?

full circle vibe - I'm thinking its also partly to do with whatever they have planned with RIM as well...maybe a couple tracks played by live vote?

the horizon is 360 degrees. i think the connection is fairly relevant and a nice allusion to the album in a non-direct way.

Back
Top Bottom