Tour Handled Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if the people saying that it is logistically impossible to do a proper stadium tour in the US during NFL season realize that they've done it three times in the past...

That's good news - out of curiosity - which tours were these? And did they play NFL stadiums throughout the NFL season, or college stadiums? Are baseball stadiums out of the picture for this tour, based on the stage design? If not, couldn't they just use these instead of the NFL stadiums?

^^Exactly, I have to travel across borders to see U2, I have to rely on general public sales whilst American fans are guaranteed 4 shows if they want to...

I mean, how can you complain? They haven't played a single concert yet and now the tour is handled wrong??

Well, European countries are often smaller than American states, so the miles required for Americans to travel to shows will often be longer than miles traveled by Europeans who cross borders to see shows. Just sayin'.

That's good news - out of curiosity - which tours were these? And did they play NFL stadiums throughout the NFL season, or college stadiums? Are baseball stadiums out of the picture for this tour, based on the stage design? If not, couldn't they just use these instead of the NFL stadiums?

The third leg of the Joshua Tree Tour was mixed arenas and stadiums... the third (really long and massive) leg of ZooTV was all stadiums... and the third (short and badly-selling) leg of PopMart was all stadiums. The venues in question are listed here:

U2 The Joshua Tree 3rd leg: North America - U2 on tour
U2 ZOO TV 3rd leg: Outside Broadcast - U2 on tour
U2 Popmart 3rd leg: North America - U2 on tour

Definitely some NFL stadiums mixed into all three.

dude, you're my favorite newbie :love:

spoiled brats :wink:

I hope one day you can understand the GLORY of a stadium show

Arenas are for Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne or My Chemical Romance

Stadiums are for men

HAHAH I couldn't help it!!!!
STADIUMS ARE FOR MEN!!!!

gladiator-2.jpg

The third leg of the Joshua Tree Tour was mixed arenas and stadiums... the third (really long and massive) leg of ZooTV was all stadiums... and the third (short and badly-selling) leg of PopMart was all stadiums. The venues in question are listed here:

U2 The Joshua Tree 3rd leg: North America - U2 on tour
U2 ZOO TV 3rd leg: Outside Broadcast - U2 on tour
U2 Popmart 3rd leg: North America - U2 on tour

Definitely some NFL stadiums mixed into all three.

Thanks for the info! Looks like the leg that relied the most on NFL stadiums during the season was Zoo (I saw that one in the Murph here in SD!!) and that one was only in 5-6 NFL stadiums. The other tours, not really, I mean they were in stadiums, but not many NFL stadiums during NFL season at all.

Am I missing something, or why can't they just play in these alternative stadiums (baseball, college football) this time around, instead of cutting the leg short (if this is in fact what they are doing, we really don't know yet, right?) Maybe it has more to do with the winter weather?:shrug:

Am I wrong, or isn't North America their biggest market in terms of albums/concert sales? (could be wrong, I'm just guessing)

:

Well compared to Europe - sim population- you are wrong as it is clear that Europe is U2s biggest market Mike

You know what annoys me the most? People complaining about venues and dates...at least in America and Europe you GET dates.

Oh it's fun living at the bottom of the world where we only get a look in every 12-13yrs or so. So take it from someone who lives in a little visited country when it comes to tours. Be thankful for what you get and when you get it, the people in charge of booking these dates have their reason for doing so. I'd give anything to live where it doesn't cost $2000+ just for the flight (halfway around the world!), to be able to see the boys play.

:shrug:

You know what annoys me the most? People complaining about venues and dates...at least in America and Europe you GET dates.

Oh it's fun living at the bottom of the world where we only get a look in every 12-13yrs or so. So take it from someone who lives in a little visited country when it comes to tours. Be thankful for what you get and when you get it, the people in charge of booking these dates have their reason for doing so. I'd give anything to live where it doesn't cost $2000+ just for the flight (halfway around the world!), to be able to see the boys play.

:shrug:
great call.

i'm extremely lucky with this tour that i'm moving to where there will probably be a leg in 2010, but people....think about the rest of the world. oh, boohoo, you have to fly a few hours to see a show. try flying at least 12 hours to get near a show.

the only market where this is an issue is new york as there's always a game on sundays 'cause there are two teams. other than that, the NFL is not an issue.

perhaps if they had started the tour in your basement you would have been happier.

Headache - how is the NFL schedule not an issue - do you mean you can hold a concert lets say on a Thursday, and have a home game on a Sunday? I honestly am curious about this, because I always guessed the "perfect" field condition, if possible, was too precious for the teams to allow a concert within a week of a home game.

The one thing that does concern me (an I'm not a whiner like the OP has been deemed, I am MORE than happy to see U2 play anywhere, any place, but I want this tour to be successful for them in the US) as I previously posted is if they do have to schedule around the NFL, and have the majority of concerts on a weekday - does anyone think this will seriously impact ticket sales (thinking of the casual fans that are needed to fill a 65-75k seat stadium)?? I hope not!!

Well compared to Europe - sim population- you are wrong as it is clear that Europe is U2s biggest market Mike

Mike, that wasn't the question posed - of course I know the entire continent of Europe has more population - but if that was the how the biggest market for U2 was determined, than China would be their biggest market, no? I was asking if anyone knew re album/tour sales which is their biggest market.

Headache - how is the NFL schedule not an issue - do you mean you can hold a concert lets say on a Thursday, and have a home game on a Sunday? I honestly am curious about this, because I always guessed the "perfect" field condition, if possible, was too precious for the teams to allow a concert within a week of a home game.

The one thing that does concern me (an I'm not a whiner like the OP has been deemed, I am MORE than happy to see U2 play anywhere, any place, but I want this tour to be successful for them in the US) as I previously posted is if they do have to schedule around the NFL, and have the majority of concerts on a weekday - does anyone think this will seriously impact ticket sales (thinking of the casual fans that are needed to fill a 65-75k seat stadium)?? I hope not!!

it's not an issue because teams don't play at home every weekend. so yes, they have to schedule around the open dates of the stadium in question... much like they have to schedule around basketball and hockey games when they play arenas in the fall and winter.

it's really a non-issue. there's only one market in the U.S. that has an NFL game every weekend is new york.

as for field condition, another non issue. the majority of stadiums in the U.S. use field turf these days, which is plastic, and will not be damaged by 500 tones of crap on it.

yes they can hold a show on Thurs or even Fri and play on a game on Sun. most NFL fields are field turf (somebody on the board here did the research and said 21 out of 32).

and who said they are cutting the US leg short?? there are 15 US cities listed as having a show in Sept and Oct. there are only 14 Europe cities getting a show.

they dont want to do 30/40 shows a leg this time around. my theory (based purely on hope) is that they actually plan to finish a new album and release for Christmas.

it's not an issue because teams don't play at home every weekend. so yes, they have to schedule around the open dates of the stadium in question... much like they have to schedule around basketball and hockey games when they play arenas in the fall and winter.

it's really a non-issue. there's only one market in the U.S. that has an NFL game every weekend is new york.

as for field condition, another non issue. the majority of stadiums in the U.S. use field turf these days, which is plastic, and will not be damaged by 500 tones of crap on it.

I think this is great news then, if field condition is not an issue, it seems like they will most likely add more dates to those that have been announced in NA.

they are not adding more US cities for the fall. there are already 15. its plenty for now. they'll be back. not many US cities can have an outdoor show past Oct. Chicago, Boston, and to a lesser degree NY is already pushing it with the end of Sept as it is.

they are not adding more US cities for the fall. there are already 15. its plenty for now. they'll be back. not many US cities can have an outdoor show past Oct. Chicago, Boston, and to a lesser degree NY is already pushing it with the end of Sept as it is.

You probably wouldn't think they were "plenty" of shows if you lived in Nortern Cal, Miami, Philly etc., ... :sad:(I know, I know, greedy spoiled Americans, yes, that's what we are!:cute:)

For some reason, the band chose an artificially short run for each leg of the tour. Even if they only wanted to hit two cities a week for family reasons, they still should have knocked out all large markets and more cities with domed stadiums. This was the list I came up with last night (not necessarily in chronological order) for a more comprehensive North America stadium tour in 2009:

1. Soldier Field, Chicago
2. Cleveland Browns Stadium
3. Alumni Stadium, Boston (better alternative to Gillette)
4. Giants Stadium, New York
5. Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
6. Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD (better alternative to FedEx)
7. Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta (better alternative to Georgia Dome)
8. Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium, Dallas (better alternatives to Cowboys Stadium)
9. Rice Stadium, Houston (better alternative to Reliant Stadium)
10. Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego
11. Stanford Stadium, Palo Alto, CA
12. Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas
13. Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
14. Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ (historic significance for band)
15. HHH Metrodome, Minneapolis
16. Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis
17. Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis
18. Ford Field, Detroit
19. Rogers Center, Toronto
20. Olympic Stadium, Montreal

This list could have taken about 10 weeks. Norman, OK, Charlottesville, VA, and Raleigh, NC are not large enough to support stadium shows. I also would have saved Vancouver and Tampa for the 2010 arena leg.

Thanks for the info! Looks like the leg that relied the most on NFL stadiums during the season was Zoo (I saw that one in the Murph here in SD!!) and that one was only in 5-6 NFL stadiums. The other tours, not really, I mean they were in stadiums, but not many NFL stadiums during NFL season at all.

Am I missing something, or why can't they just play in these alternative stadiums (baseball, college football) this time around, instead of cutting the leg short (if this is in fact what they are doing, we really don't know yet, right?) Maybe it has more to do with the winter weather?:shrug:

They did have a couple of college stadiums in there...but, it's also college football season. As far as baseball, Paul McG said in Hot Press that the show was designed specifically for football stadiums...(specifically) baseball stadiums are shaped differently - can't have the "360" in a lot of them and/or the stage would have to be far back from most of the audience.

I think Bono & Edge's involvement with Spiderman is a reason why the leg isn't going into November like it did with Popmart.

For some reason, the band chose an artificially short run for each leg of the tour. Even if they only wanted to hit two cities a week for family reasons, they still should have knocked out all large markets and more cities with domed stadiums. This was the list I came up with last night (not necessarily in chronological order) for a more comprehensive North America stadium tour in 2009:

1. Soldier Field, Chicago
2. Cleveland Browns Stadium
3. Alumni Stadium, Boston (better alternative to Gillette)
4. Giants Stadium, New York
5. Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
6. Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD (better alternative to FedEx)
7. Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta (better alternative to Georgia Dome)
8. Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium, Dallas (better alternatives to Cowboys Stadium)
9. Rice Stadium, Houston (better alternative to Reliant Stadium)
10. Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego
11. Stanford Stadium, Palo Alto, CA
12. Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas
13. Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
14. Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ (historic significance for band)
15. HHH Metrodome, Minneapolis
16. Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis
17. Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis
18. Ford Field, Detroit
19. Rogers Center, Toronto
20. Olympic Stadium, Montreal

This list could have taken about 10 weeks. Norman, OK, Charlottesville, VA, and Raleigh, NC are not large enough to support stadium shows. I also would have saved Vancouver and Tampa for the 2010 arena leg.

time for a hobby

I think the promoters should be ashamed of themselves, I feel as if this tour is being handled badly at the moment. Why in the world would you schedule a US tour playing only football stadiums during the NFL season?!?!?

Because we're not the only country in the world.

This is the reason why there isn't going to be very many weekend shows.

Why does that make any difference? They're a rock band not a freaking travelling show that facilitates weekend get-aways!

2009 should be the time they have a full North American tour not 2010, this means that in 2010 most fans have to wait 16 months prior to the album release date to see them in North America.

Like South America and the Pacific Rim have had to do the last few tours? Sounds fair. :up:

Sounds very stupid. Should of just scaled the stage down and did arena shows. It sucks having to wait till June-July 2010 to see the band play.

Waa waa waa. And have to pay $350 a ticket?
I'm a US citizen and I have to agree, you sound like a spoiled American who wants everything right now and on your terms.

although a show at BC (Alumni Stadium) would be awesome, 1 its not allowed by the city its in (its actually in Newton, not Boston).2, it only holds about 40K, so not nearly big enough, unless they wanted to play 3 shows, whcih they obviously dont.

everybody (thats fighting for more US locations) forgets, or wasnt around for POP Mart when they were killed in teh media as being done and not important anymore because they werent selling out stadiums. this new album is no more radio friendly than POP was at the time. so if they hedge their bets a bit, and dont announce a 20 city N American tour right off the bat, you cant blame them.

travel to these shows that are listed, make them sell out quicker, than you'll get your extra shows in the spring. there is more to it than what the die hard fans want. publicity like they got in 97 would be irreversable at this point. plus, its not easy putting on 25-30 shows (which is what it would take for 20 US cities as some cities will be getting more than 1 show).

You probably wouldn't think they were "plenty" of shows if you lived in Nortern Cal, Miami, Philly etc., ... :sad:(I know, I know, greedy spoiled Americans, yes, that's what we are!:cute:)

I understand fans feelings but Im sure you/they would feel like it was plenty if you/they were the ones performing the shows at 40 something years of age. and again, my post just before, they have to be careful here not to over extend themselves and be the joke of the media/haters who are just waiting to write them off.

they dont want to do 30/40 shows a leg this time around. my theory (based purely on hope) is that they actually plan to finish a new album and release for Christmas.

Yep yep yep. I think they'll be ducking in and out of recording studios, Zooropa-style, tweaking the new 'Songs of Ascent' album and harnessing all the creative energy that they generate on the tour. I think I'm actually getting more psyched for the NEXT album than I was for NLOTH :wink:

although a show at BC (Alumni Stadium) would be awesome, 1 its not allowed by the city its in (its actually in Newton, not Boston).2, it only holds about 40K, so not nearly big enough, unless they wanted to play 3 shows, whcih they obviously dont.

1. On a technical level, Gillette Stadium will be one of the worst venues on the U2 360° Tour. The upper deck is vertically and horizontally far from the field because of the priority stadium designers gave to suites and the club lounges. Alumni Stadium would have been a significant upgrade.
2. I suspect that if U2 wanted to play Alumni Stadium, BC and the appropriate municipality would have made it work.
3. With field seating, the capacity would have been about 48,000 (the seating capacity is 44,500).
4. Even if two shows at Alumni were inadequate to meet demand, they could come back to Boston in 2010.

American here who isn't complaining! After the 1st leg in Europe, they'll be warmed up and confident enough in the staging and new songs to put on some spectacular shows here in the States. Well worth taking my vacation days for!

Back
Top Bottom