The CLAW Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I was looking for the pic that showed the bridge off to the side, for it had a pretty good view of how much it arches, but there are far too many pages to sift through.

Now that I look at it again, it will probably have enough arch to be a fixed bridge, but if it's moving then the baracades around the catwalk are going to have to be set pretty far back on the interior ring side in order to create a safe head room space.

^you do practically live in this thread don't you:D?
Well the center stage is almost taller than the average human and the barricades are usually 3-4 feet away from the stage , it could be possible. But still. It would be tricky.
u2 is really pushing the limits of technology and construction here. So i never say never :yes:

this may be a dumb question, but are they going to allow GA on the actual turf, or is the GA area strictly on the gray area that is covering the turf.

They will put the grey area all over the pitch. It is like a plastic waffling to protect the grass from turning into a mud-bath. At least, every stadium show I've been to in the UK has been that way.

I'd actually like to adjust my post.

When you look even closer there is a second stainless steel rail mounted to the top of each stage deck. This is what I htink the bridges are mounted to, not the rails below the deck. Plus the bridges on the catwalk are raised by a number of steps, so clearance will not be a problem.

I do think the rails below the decks will be used for cameras mounted on trians (similar to the Olympics cameras) that will follow the band around the stage. After seeing Willie's Playstation controls from last tour, I imagine this is a way for him to have automation and control of his cameras, with less crew. He can remotely have the cameras travel around the stage.

Regarding Larry's riser being able to rotate, again no big deal and I do not think it will be a big part of the show. Since they are playing in the round I am sure they will just turn it around when the lights go down between songs (i.e. he will not be rotating during any song.) This probably does not even have a motor on it - it will probably just be turned by hand.

This has been done many times before with the most common and most widely used by Neil Peart of Rush and recently Lars Ulrich of Metallica.

Regarding Larry's riser being able to rotate, again no big deal and I do not think it will be a big part of the show. Since they are playing in the round I am sure they will just turn it around when the lights go down between songs (i.e. he will not be rotating during any song.) This probably does not even have a motor on it - it will probably just be turned by hand.

This has been done many times before with the most common and most widely used by Neil Peart of Rush and recently Lars Ulrich of Metallica.
:up:
I think this makes more sense, having Larry do 1/4 turns every couple songs fits better than continuously rotating.

^you do practically live in this thread don't you:D?
Well the center stage is almost taller than the average human and the barricades are usually 3-4 feet away from the stage , it could be possible. But still. It would be tricky.
u2 is really pushing the limits of technology and construction here. So i never say never :yes:

That's not the side I'm concerned with it's the lower side on the catwalk that has me concerned.

I'm going to go on record and say they will not move. I don't think they'll have the clearance underneath on the catwalk side plus how will you stop people from jumping on and taking it for a ride?

I'd guess they might turn it sideways at Sam Boyd, as they are already doing that in a few other places like Milan and Oklahoma City. I know the "blueprint" pics don't show that but I think they could do it if it was too tight to put the Claw in at the end of the field.

I'm late to the party here but perhaps there are modular elements to the set up which would allow them to modify to fit into smaller spaces? On Vertigo tour Japan dates, Saitama arena was much smaller than typical stadium and the ramps to b-stages had obviously been shortened in order to fit better within the venue. Either that or Vegas RZ will just be a single file line of lucky people, all of them up against the rail :wink:

The "claw" is very cartoonish. Not sure what to think yet.

Either that or Vegas RZ will just be a single file line of lucky people, all of them up against the rail :wink:

I jut got an e-mail from UNLV tickets. It says...

Thank you for your winning Red Zone bid for U2's 360 Tour. Unfortunately due to the size of the touring stage, there will not be enough space to accommodate the Red Zones in Sam Boyd Stadium. You will therefore be given your choice of band member to sit with on stage, or you may choose from a number of rigging or catwalk positions inside the upper part of the stage or "CLAW." Again, thank you for your bid, and we look forward to hosting U2 at Sam Boyd Stadium.

Wow. I can't believe it!

(and neither should you)

Thank you for your winning Red Zone bid for U2's 360 Tour. Unfortunately due to the size of the touring stage, there will not be enough space to accommodate the Red Zones in Sam Boyd Stadium. You will therefore be given your choice of band member to sit with on stage, or you may choose from a number of rigging or catwalk positions inside the upper part of the stage or "CLAW." Again, thank you for your bid, and we look forward to hosting U2 at Sam Boyd Stadium.

Wow. I can't believe it!

(and neither should you)

HA!

you could be like Quagmire at the Barry Manilow concert!

Wow. I can't believe it!

(and neither should you)

What a sad reflection on this forum that you had to post a disclaimer after that. :wink:

I'm late to the party here but perhaps there are modular elements to the set up which would allow them to modify to fit into smaller spaces? On Vertigo tour Japan dates, Saitama arena was much smaller than typical stadium and the ramps to b-stages had obviously been shortened in order to fit better within the venue. Either that or Vegas RZ will just be a single file line of lucky people, all of them up against the rail :wink:

The "claw" is very cartoonish. Not sure what to think yet.

There is some variation in sizes, but a field width is almost standard. This set up can't be modified it would have to be a completely different designed claw and I doubt they have two different sizes.

Wow. I can't believe it!

Damn, you're lucky!

Maybe you can just hoist Bono up on your shoulders and run around with him for the whole show? That would help those of us who are vertically challenged have a better chance of actually seeing him when he's on that behemoth of a main stage!

I knew it reminded me of something.....

BowieRaR87-stage.jpg

i'm usually with ouizy 100% on his analysis of the stage 'cause he knows a shit load more about this stuff than i do, but i have to disagree with the idea of the bridges moving.

i just don't see enough clearance clarence... i'm 6'3"... if i'm lucky enough to be inside that bad boy, i feel that the thing will pop me in the head.

for legal purposes they'd really have to have the bridge at an elevation that is taller than reasonable human height... i do know u2 fans who are 6'8" and even taller... they'd be decapitated if they were inside the crab shack.

these bridges would have to be i'd say 8 feet off the ground just for safety and insurance purposes... and they really don't look that high

i say nay to the rotation of the bridges.

Wow. I can't believe it!

(and neither should you)

FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!:lol::lol:

i'm usually with ouizy 100% on his analysis of the stage 'cause he knows a shit load more about this stuff than i do, but i have to disagree with the idea of the bridges moving.

i just don't see enough clearance clarence... i'm 6'3"... if i'm lucky enough to be inside that bad boy, i feel that the thing will pop me in the head.

for legal purposes they'd really have to have the bridge at an elevation that is taller than reasonable human height... i do know u2 fans who are 6'8" and even taller... they'd be decapitated if they were inside the crab shack.

these bridges would have to be i'd say 8 feet off the ground just for safety and insurance purposes... and they really don't look that high

i say nay to the rotation of the bridges.

hmmmm - dissention.

All in all these seem to be low budget bridges (in comparison to Fisher's Bridge to Babylon) so I am thinking they will have little role in the show.

Maybe they will just be swung out to rescue Bono if he runs out of breath out on the catwalk.

bono_hand_in_pants.jpg

Now we know for sure that they expect to put up the stage in 4 days and take it down in 2. At least that's what they say in the video in the u2.com link that 4U2Play posted in the Redzone thread.

U2.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom