Since the new album is rumored to be out next Fall...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Togna_Bologna

The Fly
According to @u2.com U2's next full album is due out no earlier than next fall now.
U2 Rumor Mill Recap

I just wanted to throw this out there...
The 360 tour supposedly ends in October, so have they ever released an album without tour support?
Could this mean (pending rumors are true) that we could get more 360 tour, or better yet, another tour, perhaps next spring summer?

Nobody knows but I thought it might be fun to discuss. :D

They didn't tour "Rattle and Hum" for nearly an entire year. Album came out in October 1988, tour started in September 1989

SMB

I hadn't considered Rattle and Hum. I'm surprised that album had tour support at all with it being essentially a live album/movie in itself. Certainly the fact they did tour Rattle and Hum gives hope they might be back in a year or so (which certainly beats a 4/5 year lapse).

addendum: Was the Rattle and Hum tour an extension of the previous tour, or was it a new show altogether?

Lovetown was a whole different beast from Joshua Tree. I suppose you can't say it was a tour in support of RAH so much as it was a different tour going to places that they missed with JT.

Suppose the 360 tour does extend into 2011 after the next album comes out. Where do you all think they will play in 2011? I certainly think the US is out of the question, as I think they have met the demand in the US and Canada. Demand has also been met in most of mainland Europe, with many shows still not sold out. Demand will probably be there for another round of shows in UK/Ireland, as well as 2 more shows in the Netherlands, and probably one more in France.

U2 always underplay South America while they are there, so maybe they will finally play to meet the demand there. South Africa could support 3/4 shows perhaps. They could probably do 10 shows in AUS/NZ. I'm not sure about Asia. While more bands are visiting Asian countries like Israel, United Arab Emirates, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, India, Hong Kong, Mainland China, Korea etc, nobody has really done big stadium shows there. So that's a question mark.

If the "supposed album" turns out to be a hit, they could probably come back to the US for a round of arena shows, as unlikely as that really is.

I like the idea of extending the tour into 2011. They could hit South America, Australia and wrap up in Hawaii like the Vertigo tour.

They don't have to tour an album. Plenty of artists don't.

That being said, maybe they'll do an extension.

I think it's highly likely that U2 will extend their Tour into 2011. South America and Australia/New Zealand in early 2011? although it's also possible they will go to these places after Europe, in November/December. It is a bit quiet on the rumor mill for the Southern hemisphere (maybe Axver knows more...?)

I think the most likely is they will bring out an album in the end of this year and will follow that with touring the Southern hemisphere... Unless they bring out an album that will be a massive success, I don't believe they will come back to Europe/US again...Still too many shows far from sold out. They could play Irish shows and Dutch shows (and will definately sell them out), maybe another one in Eastern europe, but that basis is too small for a full leg and I guess they also want to create demand for future Tours.

For me it's unbelievable that especially the Italian shows, but also the Greek, Turkish and Russian show are far from sold out. I think that was totally unexpected for the U2 camp.

Hmm, maybe this will bode well for a bodly innovative album that's not really made to be played live. If they release it after the tour, U2 hopefully won't have that second-guessing of "how do we play this live?" that seems to go on sometimes.

Then again, if the music's good, whether they can play it live or not is irrelevant.

Lovetown was a whole different beast from Joshua Tree. I suppose you can't say it was a tour in support of RAH so much as it was a different tour going to places that they missed with JT.

Lovetown was specifically done to make up for the cancelled Australian Joshua Tree dates. They tacked Europe onto the end of it just to make it worth doing time wise and financially.

I doubt there will be a new album this year. Even if there is they will hit S. America and Australia (maybe a few other areas they have not played on 360) only and that will be it. I SERIOUSLY doubt U2 will mount another tour in N. America or even Europe again until 2014 at the earliest.

2014? I doubt they would purposely wait that long to tour again unless there were repeated delays again, I don't think they'll be doing something that huge next time around, and an arena tour in NA in less than 4 years would certainly clean up, especially because of the limited number of markets 360 played versus Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom