More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2
The Rolling Stones
Paul McCartney

They would be inundated with geriatric jokes if this was the case. Plus Stones and Paul management wouldn't go toe-to-toe on a bill.

I do think Coldplay/Arcade do fit the "biggest band" tag for a certain demographic and fickle UK music press.

the biggest bands in the world:

Arcade Fire, does NOT belong to the biggest bands in the world...Prince is not even a band. Muse was there last year....

When I think of the biggest bands in the world: U2, Bruce & E-street, Stones? Pearl Jam and Radiohead are also bigger than Arcade Fire.

I think there's a bunch of markets in North America where Arcade Fire can outsell Bruce.

What's really remarkable is that AF did it as an indie and without radio support. Are they the biggest indie act of all time?

When I think of the biggest bands in the world: U2, Bruce & E-street, Stones? Pearl Jam and Radiohead are also bigger than Arcade Fire.

I've been to a bunch of festivals around North America and I'm surprised how far it skews to the under 25 crowd.

For instance at Coachella, Phoenix & XX each got 3-4 times the crowd that the first runion shows by Faith No More and Pavement received. At Lollapalooza, Soundgarden was outdrawn by MGMT.

I think there's a bunch of markets in North America where Arcade Fire can outsell Bruce.

What's really remarkable is that AF did it as an indie and without radio support. Are they the biggest indie act of all time?

AF has come around much more rarely than Bruce has in the past 4 years.

That would be my guess too, except if it's three bands Macca is out.

Can't say who'd be the third "biggest band". CP ? Maybe a few years ago but not now.

Never take him literally. Reality is always a bit different to what he says. Biggest Bands could mean Biggest Acts. 'The' Biggest could mean 'Some of the' Biggest. So there could still be the solo act he was talking about as locked in, about a month ago. And I think in band terms he probably just means anyone in that top tier. And Coldplay make the most sense given the timing.

I'm still putting $5 on U2/Coldplay/Prince. But I wish it was Coldplay/U2/Prince. That Saturday night really is the sweet spot.

That would have been perfect nap time. It just seems so grueling, especially if you are like me a wannabe rail skank. It just seems easier to hang out in a GA line for 12+ hours on an inflatable raft rather than listening to bands you don't really care about to get to the one or two you do.

Aaaaand that's why U2 don't normally do festivals, and festivals don't normally want U2.

Anyway, this was the Glastonbury lineup last year - a musical wet dream for most people:
Glastonbury Festivals - Line-up

Yeah you can't really rely much on what Eavis says. Rolling Stones apparentely always demand too much money for festivals, certainly more than Glastonbury pays artists anyway. There's been rumours of Kylie and Madonna. I really don't think Coldplay would play on the same bill as U2, they aren't going to want to look second-best on such a big platform. Radiohead are also a possibility I suppose.

Over on the efestivals forum, one of the moderators said that he thinks U2 are very likely in that a third headliner has been secured and it hasn't been very long since Eavis publicly said that he had asked U2 to play the Friday night and was waiting for them to get back to him.

Going back to possible shows in Ireland, I'm assuming that if they happen at all, they'll be in late summer / early autumn 2011, not next month! The thing is, given the general PR disasters involving local residents from 2005 and especially 2009, I doubt if U2 will be returning to Croke Park anytime soon. But those who know Dublin will also be fully aware that the Aviva Stadium is in the middle of a much more prestigious residential area (Ballsbridge), where the local residents are known to be vociferous opponents of concerts. For example, U2 had real problems with local authorities for their Popmart shows in 1997. In fact, to be honest, U2 encounter problems from authorities, councils and residents pretty much everywhere and everytime they try to play in Ireland. Sad but true.

As for Belfast...Much as I'd love to see the band in my home city, it would have to be an outdoor show in a greenfield venue somewhere. There's no stadium anywhere near big enough to accommodate The Claw in Northern Ireland. To whoever asked about Windsor Park - it has a tiny capacity and is barely suitable even for the amateur football that's usually played there!

I really don't think Coldplay would play on the same bill as U2, they aren't going to want to look second-best on such a big platform.

It's not the same bill, it's different days. Both acts play to possibly the biggest crowds of their careers.

Coldplay have opened for u2 before. Plus the obvious Eno connections I simply think they don't care. They weren't bothered by US shows drawing less than 9,000 or live nation selling $20 lawn tickets to their 2009 shows.

Coldplay may even welcome the challenge. U2/Police went head to head in 1986.

I know that it would be different days, I still think the point stands though. U2 would be hogging all the attention seen as its their first time, Coldplay have played and headlined a few times before. That's why, U2 dropping out this summer did Muse the world of good because suddenly they were the headline act everyone was talking about and referring back to.

And I'm not sure the U2/Police point stands since U2 in 1986 had not been so blatently influenced by The Police as Coldplay have by U2. Coldplay receive a fair bit of ridicule in quarters for essentially ripping off U2 left, right and centre.

How the hell could they pull off a show that hasn't been announced yet for a date that's less than a month away?

Logistically, there's no way that could be possible ... could it? Tickets, travel plans ... no way. I thought the rumors for Dublin included the words "end of tour," which would make a hell of a lot more sense than Pittsburgh (sorry, Pittsburgh).

They must mean end of the US leg.

(Boo, goodbye, happiness at my Minneapolis show being a leg-ender. :sad: )

If that rumor is true then I can go to that show.

I still think Dublin is going to be in 2011.

Outdoors anywhere in Western Europe in October surely is a no-no? I think people are putting 2+2 together. My guess is the dates will be announced in October.
If they want to end the tour in Dublin you are probably looking at a mini tour from say mid august - late september at the latest, about 6 weeks. Given the scheduling of the dates thats possibly 12 cities max.

Something along the lines of - Split, Prague, Bucharest, Budapest, Marseille, Amsterdam, London, Coventry, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast, with Amsterdam and Dublin getting multiple shows, is feasible, but even some of those cities are pretty far fetched imo and places that are being re-visited.

More likely we will get a 3 week 'last hurrah' in Holland, England, Ireland

The problem with the production (excuse to charge premium for a ticket) of this tour, is that touring Europe anytime from the start of August really limits the places that they can actually play

Man, some local media's making hay out of a rumour.

Doesn't sound like rumors to me at all.

"The t's have not been crossed and the i's have not been dotted, but barring any unforeseen problems, the event will take place."

KDKA has a good, reliable reputation, so they get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Back
Top Bottom