Help me decide which Dublin show to go to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russmadem

The Fly
I want to attend as many shows in Dublin as I can but time and money constraints may force me to pick only one show. So, which show should I see? Does the band electrify the audience more with a first show and does enthusiasm wane by the last show? Or do they spice up the last show to make it stand out? Or are there other good reasons to pick one show over another? Are the Dublin shows different in any way from any other city? I have always felt that U2 in Dublin had to be better than seeing them in any other city. Is this true or just my imagination? What time of day would I need to line up to hope to get anywhere near the stage (or even near the B stage if this tour has one)? Sorry for asking so many questions but I know there are people out there who have answers (or at least informed opinions).

On the assumption that there'll be more than one Dublin show, they may not all be put on sale at once, or even announced at the same time. Anyone who's ever used Ticketmaster (most of us, I guess) will know that additional shows can quickly appear without warning. From memory for Vertigo, two Dublin shows were announced initially, and sold out almost instantly. Then, after a delay of a few weeks(? - that's what it seemed like), the third show was scheduled and put on sale very surreptitiously. Awareness of this show seemed to pass more by word of mouth, at least initially.

So, let's assume that there'll be at least two shows this time around, and possibly three. If the venue is Croke Park again, I'd suggest trying to avoid the first show, for the following reasons (based on my own experiences of 24/6/05)

- Depending on where you end up sitting / standing in Croke Park, the sound can vary wildly in quality. The sound for Dublin 1 was a wee bit murky (as was the weather), but I understand it improved on subsequent nights. Stadium / outdoor concert sound is always going to be an issue, so it may be that the first night in any venue could find U2's engineers experimenting a bit. Also, if their PA system for this new tour is as revolutionary as the staging is apparently going to be, this could be a further reason for trying to go to a subsequent concert.

- Although we've no way of knowing what - if any - setlist variations there could be, it could be that the more interesting setlists could be in later shows. Again, based on Vertigo, the longest and arguably best of the Dublin shows was the final one. If you have a particular favourite song, it may not necessarily be performed on the night you go (unless it's something completely obvious like Pride, One etc) - for instance, I would've loved to have heard AIWIY, but it wasn't performed on the night I went, but was played the following night! Also worth noting is that, despite playing three shows in front of their 'home' crowd, U2 didn't actually pull any actual rarities out for the Dublin concerts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that everything they played over the three nights had already been performed elsewhere on the tour - not necessarily on the European leg, but still played nevertheless.

- The thing is, based on responses on this forum, it seems like an awful lot of those hoping to travel to a foreign show have (understandably) set their sights on Dublin. So, since getting your hands on tickets is likely to be astonishingly difficult, I'd suggest taking what you can and not necessarily worrying about which night you go on. Bottom line is, you still get to see U2 live in their home city, and that's worth a lot. Unless U2.com operates another presale, the chances of getting anything in a general sale are pretty slim.

When U2 do 3 or more shows in a city, in almost all cases, the final show has the most interesting setlist. Indeed, Dublin on the Vertigo Tour is a good example. The third Dublin show got the only performances of Gloria, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, and Bad on the European leg (last ever ACD/ITH too), and one of only three performances of 40 on that leg. Also with reference to the Vertigo tour, the third Boston show of the first leg got the first performance of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in over 12 years, while the third Sydney show saw the return of I Will Follow and Party Girl to the setlist after being dropped earlier in the tour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that everything they played over the three nights had already been performed elsewhere on the tour - not necessarily on the European leg, but still played nevertheless.

Technically you're right, emotionally you can't be more on the wrong street. The 3rd Dublin night was exceptional in many aspects. It was the longest show, U2 have EVER played so far: with a setlist of 28 (!) slots and a legion of snippets, too. With the European stadium leg unfortunately being not very flexible on setlists (hopefully not a hint for 2009!) – on the contrary to all the other legs, especially in USA II and Oceania– U2 played one of the best gigs, I've ever witnessed.

From the opening thunder of "Vertigo" (standard opener) we were treated with the house rocking "All Because Of You" as a surprise in slot #2. Only to be followed by October's much too often neglected gem "Gloria" (only performance in Europe!): the crowd went nuts and I wasn't the only one to ask, "why not play this vintage tune more often?". Still jumping, "Elevation" crashed in followed by the beautiful couple "An Cat Dubh" and "Into The Heart" (only performances in Europe!). The former Boy track had Bono adopting as his cat stage persona, while the latter was Bono face to face with a very young guy, impersonating the "heart of a child" – wow!

"Beautiful Day" had its Beatles' reference, "Found" even had the Thin Lizzy one – the "Boys Are Back In Town"(you can call this a rarity, too)!
Then Bono moved onwards to the B-stage, when the band decided for the piano driven "Original" and then the for so long missing hymn: "Bad", sung beautfully, in a quieter, reflective mood, another "only tonight" for the whole European leg –with Bono stretching the tune with a beautful rendition of Dublin's nostalgic tune, "Dirty Old Town" (another rarity, friends!).

After all these surprises, the usual set went on –with nice performances of "City Of Blinding Lights", "Miracle Drug", "Sometimes" with its moving funeral reference "Black Hills Of Dakota" and "Love And Peace". There it is time to stop, because on the third night U2 played (the usual) "Sunday Bloody Sunday" then, but with a strenght and emotion, I've not witnessed very often. All the anger on Iraq war, all the anger about the hatred of former decades between Irish and British, all the blood the Croke Park witnessed back then was adressed by Bono and pushed in this incredible choir of the audience, who were one voice. "Bullet" with its snippets kept this spirit, followed by its Joshua brother "Running", that was stretched with a nice snippet of "Walk On", too. "Pride", "Streets" and "One" came on – and U2 even had time for a brief "Unchained Melody" (another rarity these days).

The encore was "Zoo", "The Fly", "With Or Without You" and the 2nd "Vertigo", that even had its full circle predecessor "Stories For Boys" in it. Who thought, it would really be the end of this Springsteen-like marathon, was proved wrong. "Yahweh" was played, and then with the classic '40' (one of only 3 performances in Europe, and the very first one in front of a big audience for ages there) brought the final curtain.

No, after all this, euphoria and even hysteria might turn up – I wanna go there toooooooo! Understandable, but you might get a wrong picture. The 2005 show was exceptional even in regarding all U2 shows played in their hime town. Such a "longest night" never has happend before there. And I doubt, it will happen again that way.
Take the '87 shows for example: They were great, but so was the whole tour in Europe. Dublin was no exception, apart from the atmosphere to see U2 in their home (which can be a diffult and often from media side criticized thing, too!). Take the '89 shows: They were great, but so was the whole tour. The 'New Year's Gig' was another story with its emotions, but certainly not because of the setlist. Take the '92 shows: they didn't happen at all! Take the '93 shows: They were great, but so was the whole tour. That we have one show recorded perfectly, could lead to too much overrating here. Take the '97 shows: They were nearly just the same as the rest of the the European leg, with some new snippets, a lot of emotion, but that's it. Take the '01 shows: they were NOT in Dublin again, but in Slane – with not much setlist change to other European shows either. An exception 2005 was not the 1st, was not the 2nd night – only the 3rd one.

So, let's see what the future brings. In other words. Great U2 concerts can happen everywhere, not necessarily only in Dublin!

Great review ZOOTVTOURist. I wasn't at the 3rd Dublin show, but from what I've heard, it was an awesome night out for those who were. I personally dispute the merit of including snippets as part of a setlist, but will bow to your authority for this particular show. (For example, does Bono shouting "Boola...Billy Boola" really constitute a snippet? Apparently so, but it doesn't add anything to the experience of the actual song, especially if it's not one that you're aware of. However, a discernible segment of 'Stories For Boys' makes 'Vertigo' something more emotionally fitting and - in terms of the band's career - appropriately circular.)

But, I think you're reinforcing Axver's point that, if U2 play multiple shows in a particular city, the later concerts are likely to be more interesting in terms of setlists, and may be better too.

Why are you all focussing on setlists? If you're only going to catch one show, setlist variations are not that important. What about enthousiasm? Energy? Crowd response? Etc. Anyone? (presuming, of course, there will be something to choose :ohmy:)

Why are you all focussing on setlists? If you're only going to catch one show, setlist variations are not that important. What about enthousiasm? Energy? Crowd response? Etc. Anyone? (presuming, of course, there will be something to choose :ohmy:)

sadly I didn't get to the third Dublin show on the last tour but was there for there for the other two shows (gold circle both nights- just amazing)

from what I can recall the crowd were amazing- but to be honest I was so into the show I largely tuned out everything around me and just focussed on the band and the music- they got a young lad on stage with them for an unplanned Party Girl which was good fun

after that the next show at Millenium Stadium was a bit flat- but how can you top U2 at Croke Park???

The final shows are usually the best. Setlist, enthusiasm, energy, crowd response, etc. Probably due to the band being better rested, and any sound or lighting problems from the first night being worked out.

But, I think you're reinforcing Axver's point that, if U2 play multiple shows in a particular city, the later concerts are likely to be more interesting in terms of setlists, and may be better too.

I would not rely on that scenario too much. Only, if you underline the words "can" and "may be". Because if you really like to see the classic tour show (which is enough for the vast majority of the audience), you have to there on the 1st night (or on a single night, too). While, even when you are a setlist afficionado like me (who wants to listen to more 'obscure songs from our past' and to the often as predicted 2nd night setlist), I've experienced several times, that on double nights you simply can not say, what is more interesting.

Take Roma's double bill in 1993 on July 6th and 7th for example. The second had "She's A Mystery To Me, then "a brief, unfortunately interrupted "Found" on the B-stage, the explosion of the then very rare "Follow" and "Sunday" as the centre song, what everybody wished for. We even got the live premiere of "Numb", with Bono still singing the back vocals live on stage.
On the other hand I wouldn't want to miss, what happened on the 1st night. It was a strange atmosphere, with a more than packed stadium. U2 wre back in the stadium, where they had opened their '87 rour in Europe. And because of all that, The Edge gave as a nod, a lullaby: the only live performance of "Van Diemen's Land" of the whole year '93 – and so far the last performance of this tune in front of a big audience. The centre song was the then regular "Bad" – but what a version! Or have you often attended gigs, where this beautiful hymn was stretched with the perfect fitting Beatles' reference "Norwegian Wood" and Van Morrison's "Irish Heartbeat"?

So, no, there isn't a natural law, that a single or 1st night is less interesting than the follow up nights. It depends on the concept of the tour. Is the concept of hi-tech, stage characters and playback elements so planned to the very last second, that there is no space at all to throw the setlist? Is there no room on certain spots to react on fan requests and to improvise, for example on a b-stage? Did you reserve spots for acoustic renditions, which could be switched easier by the band? Then of course it depends on the mood, the band is in. In the year 2005 Europe wasn't that lucky in this regard (with only a few exceptions, Dublin and Amsterdam to be named) – while the band obvioulsy felt much more flexible in the USA and especially in Australia and New Zealand.:wink:

I would not rely on that scenario too much. Only, if you underline the words "can" and "may be". Because if you really like to see the classic tour show (which is enough for the vast majority of the audience), you have to there on the 1st night (or on a single night, too). While, even when you are a setlist afficionado like me (who wants to listen to more 'obscure songs from our past' and to the often as predicted 2nd night setlist), I've experienced several times, that on double nights you simply can not say, what is more interesting.

Take Roma's double bill in 1993 on July 6th and 7th for example. The second had "She's A Mystery To Me, then "a brief, unfortunately interrupted "Found" on the B-stage, the explosion of the then very rare "Follow" and "Sunday" as the centre song, what everybody wished for. We even got the live premiere of "Numb", with Bono still singing the back vocals live on stage.
On the other hand I wouldn't want to miss, what happened on the 1st night. It was a strange atmosphere, with a more than packed stadium. U2 wre back in the stadium, where they had opened their '87 rour in Europe. And because of all that, The Edge gave as a nod, a lullaby: the only live performance of "Van Diemen's Land" of the whole year '93 – and so far the last performance of this tune in front of a big audience. The centre song was the then regular "Bad" – but what a version! Or have you often attended gigs, where this beautiful hymn was stretched with the perfect fitting Beatles' reference "Norwegian Wood" and Van Morrison's "Irish Heartbeat"?

So, no, there isn't a natural law, that a single or 1st night is less interesting than the follow up nights. It depends on the concept of the tour. Is the concept of hi-tech, stage characters and playback elements so planned to the very last second, that there is no space at all to throw the setlist? Is there no room on certain spots to react on fan requests and to improvise, for example on a b-stage? Did you reserve spots for acoustic renditions, which could be switched easier by the band? Then of course it depends on the mood, the band is in. In the year 2005 Europe wasn't that lucky in this regard (with only a few exceptions, Dublin and Amsterdam to be named) – while the band obvioulsy felt much more flexible in the USA and especially in Australia and New Zealand.:wink:

Heads off to track down recordings of the two concerts from Rome in 93...!

You make an excellent point in your last paragraph too. If the staging is as revolutionary and hi-tech as is being rumoured, there could be little to no room for setlist variations if a high degree of co-ordination and technical choreography is required. I hope that's not the case.

Getting back on topic though, I don't think that any U2 concert is Dublin is ever going to be 'bad' or uninteresting. If I manage to get tickets for one show, I'll be happy enough with that. Bottom line is this: I still get to see my favourite band in their home city.

Yes, the tactic is – there is no tactic. Just luck: You get a ticket or not ....:drool:

Yes, you are right. I will be happy if I get tickets for two or three gigs no matter where. (Thanks Ryanair!) and I live at a walking distance of the school that some Bono kids still go (Dalkey School Project)! Dublin will be an obvious option because I don't need to travel, but U2 is a global band, the best gig of their tour can happen anywhere.

True.
Because despite all the setlist talk about the third Dublin concert (on the Vertigo Tour), the second concert was the best of the three. That one was magical, even though there weren't many surprises. But the band was ON! The audience was into it, it was just perfect.
After the concert, me and my friends were stunned. Wow! :bow:

Still, prepare yourself for not having an opportunity to choose. Get whatever Dublin ticket you can get.

If you have the option, you could always buy as many tickets as you can for one show and then do swapsies with people who have tickets for other shows.

Thanks for all the info. I agree, my first step is to get tix, any tix. If I only get tix for one show, that will be the one I go to. If I get lucky (and this is very doubtful) and get tix to multiple Dublin shows, I can pick and choose and trade for another show that I can also attend. I think I would go with the final show if I had my choice based on the info. in this thread, but I can't go wrong no matter which show I attend. Maybe I'll see some of you at the show....

Back
Top Bottom