good Cameras for the new Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
With the new tour approaching i am reassessing my concert camera needs. And i think its time to retire my Vertigo era camera. It was my first ever digital camera- a Kodak EasyShare CX7330, 3.1 MegaPixels, 3X Opticial Zoom.

Now i know nothing about cameras, but i know that this camera was not good enough for me at catching moving action on stage, with sometimes darker lighting. Most of my pics would be blurred with movement, or else be very dark lighting. When i try to zoom into a performers face, the pic gets grainy.

Does anyone know what the best camera (options like megapixels, zoom, etc) to use for purely concert settings?

I would break the needs down as such
- catching movement on stage
- dealing with dark lighting on stage
-ability to zoom in with good quality
- and i would also consider it's video options

i dont know anything about shutter speed, etc. so any help or advice would be appricated

THANKS!

PS: i am not looking for a high-tech professional camera. Just a good concert camera, that is affordable. hopefully not over 300 bucks. but thats a rough estimate.

That is a good question. I just got a Cannon Powershot, but I don't know how it works with movement. The few pics I have taken with it have come out great.

Glad to hear some people thinking about this, no I don't think that previous camera will get you far, 3 times optical zoom isn't that much of a thing.
First things first, You have camera's with lenses , and the normal digital "pocket"camera's.
SLR camera's with lenses, are prohibited on olmost every concert.
their big, clumsy and hard to sneak in concerts, and als really damn expensive. I have one, but the point is, they make the best photo's.
I recommend you only take these with you if you can get hold of a press cards, or someone might be pulling you out of the crowd and take your memory card...

So for getting pictures at a concert , and keeping it fairly low budget, I would recommend a nice digital camera, first of all , try looking for a camera with a decent amount of optical zoom , (around 5 to 15x will do , due to the amount of money you want to spend on it) Optical zoom is your friend :to get some close photo's make you happy! than just see a litlle ant on a stage. Please note that there is a difference between optical and digital zoom, Digital zoom is your enemy! thats whats been making your picture's blurry. Try asking sellers for models with a good optical zoom.

So point 1 : Have a decent amount of optical zoom!:up:

Then , the most inportant thing about preventing blurry photo's is your shutter speed. Some of the newer digital pockets camera's can be handcontrolled,
some others have a so called sports function. Find out if your new camera has these options :

either a sports function : the camera automaticly chooses a fast shutter time and high ISO.(a high iso is great for show lighting shots) and will make the shutter time faster)

or a camera witch you can install the shutter speed, iso , light balance and contrast yourself. There are plenty of models who both have the sports function, and the manual install function.

Point 2 : Make sure you can have fast shutter speed, and look for adjustable ISO.

When you go and buy a camera , I prefer shops above online purchasing.
Let the staff help you, tell them wat you want, be specific about the fact that you want to take concert pictures, they often are photo fanatics themselves, and are more than glad to help you out. Be critic yourself :
don't let them sell you anything you doubt about.

point 3 : expensive isn't always good, but pick the best.

Than its time to test it, you probably can in the store, be sure to figure out were your zoom gets blurry to prevent that at the concert. Be sure you have enough zoom. Try to make lots of night and light photo's for practise , just to get used to the camera, try out different settings, try out different lighting. Your camera will probably act different on the night of the conert, since those lights are really bright often, dont worry and try some different settings untill you find the right one .Most camera's do a lot of work for you. but Getting to know youre camera from the inside out is a must if you want good photo's .

Point 4: test it , get to know it.

More stuff:

Try thinking about buying a fast and bigger memory card,
you can ask about these to the shop staff, 2 GB card are good for about 500-1000 photo's , running out of memory would be a big bummer if you just had a great photo oppertunity.And about the fast cards, they allow you to take pictures faster after each other. than a regualr card will do.

Dont use flash if there's a crowd in front of you, only the crowd will light up and you will miss your guitarist, singer or dear bass player...
If you have a clear view, consider using flash, it will be likely to get a better shot.

Bring enough battery's, flashing sucks up a lot of energy.
If your camera runs on a accu-battery recharge it the day before and only use it when the concert is. Dont waste energy. Or bring a second accu with you, if you have one available.

I think thats about it, I'm running out of tips, all i can say is, sorry for the bad spelling, I'm not that good in english, I hope you can make something of it and its not too complicated, and last but not least, if you happen to have that beautifful shot, just lay down your camera, and enjoy the concert , becuase thats what your going to in the first place.
Share your pics, on the wonderfull forums like this one so everyone can enjoy them.
And iff all your shots are crap ? just visit this forum I'm sure they will have shots of every night up soon after the concert was.

Good luck and happy shooting.:heart:

i would also like some advice on this myself.. I have a point and shoot Canon Powershot Elfph with 12 megapixels but I am still trying to get concert photos right, still hit and miss for me and if someone could give me some tips that would be awesome..

I just retired my 3 MP Fuji and got a Powershot SD 780. I know nothing of cameras, and from what I understand 3x optical zoom isn't great. But it does 3 things very well for me..
1) ridiculously small
2) snapshots look very good to me
3) non-proprietary memory(boo Sony)
4) and my favorite thing...it shoots HD video
So, it might not be the best for concert photos, but I love being able to take short videos and then plug it directly into my lcd tv. Picked it up for $279, and am very happy so far. Just my .02

Edit yet again: No matter what you buy, make sure you check your accessory/cable prices elsewhere. Canon wanted $69 for an HDMI cable for the above camera, and I got it from Monoprice for $5.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]First of all , sharpness has nothing to do with the amount of megapixels of your camera.
the difference between 5 MP or 12 mp, is invisible to the human eye. It only tells you how large the picture is. how many squares your photo is built of. So [/FONT]U2Fanatic4ever i cant judge on how good your camera is now, becuase i have never worked with it, have you tried different functions? or are your functions very limitided ? And maybe could you tell about the shutter speed, some camera's hava a big delay, if your camera has a one second delay, you are probably not going to shoot anybody at the right time.

If you only have a delay when you make picture's in the dark, try playing around with your ISO settings , this is for you to fuind out wich amount of ISO works out best , but if you find the right amount, it will speed up your camera big time.

^ i have a Canon Powershot SD 950 IS Digital Elph. I can manipulate the manual setting with the ISO and shutter speed I believe. What setting should you be at for concert photos as far as shutter speed and ISO?

I just retired my 3 MP Fuji and got a Powershot SD 780. I know nothing of cameras, and from what I understand 3x optical zoom isn't great. But it does 3 things very well for me..
1) ridiculously small
2) snapshots look very good to me
3) non-proprietary memory(boo Sony)
4) and my favorite thing...it shoots HD video
So, it might not be the best for concert photos, but I love being able to take short videos and then plug it directly into my lcd tv. Picked it up for $279, and am very happy so far. Just my .02

Edit yet again: No matter what you buy, make sure you check your accessory/cable prices elsewhere. Canon wanted $69 for an HDMI cable for the above camera, and I got it from Monoprice for $5.

link you posted doesn't work.

I have a Canon PowerShot SD1000 7.1 that takes good enough pics for a small point and shoot. It also has a zoom. If you're far from your subject, you cant use flash and you need to hold the camera really steady for good pics. It was about $250.

It has a bunch of functions but I have no idea what any of them mean. :crack:

^ i have a Canon Powershot SD 950 IS Digital Elph. I can manipulate the manual setting with the ISO and shutter speed I believe. What setting should you be at for concert photos as far as shutter speed and ISO?

I would go for a fairly high amount of iso , around 400-800 or the closest to that. You might even try higher, amd as fast as you can get with the shutter speed. If your close enough to the stage , you'll probably have enough light so it wont be that dark. (the faster the shutter speed , the darker the picture can get, but with lightshows , its often so birght that it can light everything up enough to make e clear picture.) But as i said , try making the first 10 pictures with different setting , especially on the ise , then look back you photo's , check with one is best and keep on taking picture's with that settings u've used for that one.

Also on acoustic songs, the lighting on stage won't be that flashy , predictable lighting is your friend, i've seen them perform acoustic songs with just a continious beam of light on the band. Those are perfect picture moment becuase the lights don't change. And ofcourse slow songs are not bouncy and jumpy so you will be more likely to get a cool clear shot without Bono in the weirdest face's. (do like some faces :cute: tough)

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K 9MP Digital Camera...I took some great shots at...well...at a Coldplay concert with it :reject:

Has a really great zoom! Still trying to figure it out...if anybody has it, GOT ANY TIPS TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF IT, ESPECIALLY IN A CONCERT SETTING?

thanks! I don't have a sports mode but have a night mode, indoor mode (these are in my SCN setting.) Would you say manual is the best mode?

Yeah for me personally , i like manual the best, you can experiment with
the lighting that way, fiddling with the control buttons will give the best shots.
Sports function will do pretty good i think, and give the indoor mode a try too.

I just bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W150. 8.1mp and 5x optical zoom. I wasn't looking for anything too flashy - just your basic point & shoot. I like the options it has, and have played around with it a little bit. I'm hoping to get to a hockey game or another concert or two before seeing U2, so I'll hopefully have several opportunities to test it out in a stadium/arena setting before the concerts I'm going to.

I have a Canon PowerShot A540, and haven't had good luck in the past with action shots. It isn't good at a distance, either. But I really don't know much about the settings; I just kinda turn the knobs around until something works. This is the camera I'm probably going to take to Norman, so I'd better figure it out before then. :yikes:

Just before the Vertigo tour I bought my wife a Canon PowerShot S2 (yeah, I had alterior motives..). It did such a good job, I will be using it again for the 360 tour.

For taking pictures in low lighting and long-distance (the subject is well out of flash range), there are a couple very important things to look for in an instant camera:

First off, make sure you get as long an optical zoom as you can possibly find. Don't get suckered in to cameras that boast to having 40x digital zoom & such. Digital zoom is worthless... it's just a marketing gimmick.

Second, make sure the camera has good manual functionality. Bear in mind that for concert photography, using an instant camera with automatic settings will not produce a good shot unless you're lucky. Even if you don't know much about photography, it's not too difficult to learn the basics. Manual functionality you should look for are: ISO up to 800 (or more); variable shutter speeds; and multiple aperture settings. The more settings, the better (usually).

Almost everything else about the camera is strictly personal preference (what brand you like.. the look & feel of the camera.. price.. etc.). Megapixels are not that big an issue anymore, but I would recommend that once you narrow your search down to 3 cameras or so, look them up on a good camera review site and do a side-by-side comparison. Most sites will also have enlarged full-size shots taken from each camera so you can see which takes the best shot. My favorite camera review site is dpreview.com. It has a very detailed review of almost every camera available on the market.

When you finally break down and buy the camera, I can't stress enough how important it is to get very familiar with using the camera in a low-light setting without using a flash. Learn what manual settings work best for lighting similar to what you will experience in your seats at the concert. If you can actually attend another concert beforehand to test it out in a real concert experience, that would be ideal. Practice, practice, practice... and as a final test, take a few shots during the opening band set to make sure they're turning out the way you want. Believe me, once U2 takes the stage, the last thing you want to be doing is fumbling around with camera settings and trying to get the picture just right.

Good luck in your search for the perfect camera! Sorry I went on a little longer than I thought I would.. hopefully it will be useful to you or anyone else looking for a camera to use on the tour.

Just a quick followup to my previous post... here's 4 shots I took at Vertigo Las Vegas with my Canon PowerShot S2. None of these were taken with flash. The best example of how well this camera works for concerts is the overall band shot (taken from a distance of approx. 100 feet). The close-ups were probably close enough to be in flash range, but the lighting & mood would be completely lost if a flash were used.

Edge1.jpg

Bono.jpg

Edge2.jpg

U2.jpg

tickets for sheffield uk have a "No cameras or recording equipment" notice in VERY BOLD text

Great pics fishlips!

ok, I was already most of the way through writing a very long winded reply, ...so here it is.

I'm just learning a bit about cameras, so anyone who knows a fair bit about this, please be gentle if I've made errors in my explanation.

I have a Nikon S10, 6MP 10x zoom. Very unusual design, has a swivelling barrel lense, so it's pretty small for an ultra-zoom (well it was when I bought it a couple of years ago). With the swivel lense you can take some very interesting shots, like holding the camera directly above your head, or at waist height over the rail (but still see the LCD screen in both cases).

This camera has sports mode, so it will catch fast moving action (with a shutter speed around 1/60 sec), & the shots won't be blurry. Sports mode is great, as you can also set it for continuous shooting, hold down the shutter button & the camera will just keep taking multiple shots (don't even look at the LCD screen, keep your finger down, enjoy the concert, & get rid of the junk shots on your computer when you get home). It also has vibration reduction. This helps reduce blur from camera shake, not from the moving object you're photographing.

But my camera has SOME VERY MAJOR DRAWBACKS (actually, it sucks for concert photography). Not enough manual controls, which means I get some very poor results in low light environments.

In sports mode in low light, the sensitivity to light (ISO) is bumped up to the max (800 for my camera). This results in very noisy photos! Ok, noise can look alright sometimes, especially in B & W or sepia shots, but not all the time, it just looks horrible. The other manual option I have is to set the ISO.

As 800 results in very noisy shots, I could set it to 400, or maybe 200. But this results in the shutter speed slowing right down to 1/8 sec, or 1/16 sec, too slow for moving objects (resulting in blurry shots). It would be nice to be able to manually set the shutter speed to around 1/30 sec, & the ISO to 200 or 400.

The aperture of the lense (the f stop) also plays a big part. This is the size of the hole in the lense that lets light in. My camera is pitiful, a tiny 1/3.5. Average would be around 1/2.8 I think, with some lenses being down to 1/2.0. This larger aperture means that the shutter doesn't have to stay open so long, to let in the same amount of light as a smaller aperture. This results in faster shutter speeds (for a set ISO), or conversely, a lower ISO for a set shutter speed.

So I'd say in the trying low light environments of a concert, it's a struggle between using a fast shutter speed for fast moving objects (down to 1/60 sec, if you're real close to the action), & the sensitivity ISO (higher required for fast shutter speeds, but resulting in a lot of noise).

As has been mentioned by others, don't be fooled, higher pixel counts is not the bees' knees, when it come to concert photography. Higher pixel counts are great if you want to do quite large enlarements, or if you want to crop large areas out of your photos. In general a 3 to 4 MP camera will take 6x4 inch photos just fine (although I would recommend getting a 4MP camera). But if you want to crop your photos, or make decent size enlargements, say 10x8 inch (aiming for 200-300 dpi) then 6 to 8 MP should be ok. Larger MP counts just result in very large, unweildy files, ..... & there's a more major problem for high MP's in concert environments! described below.

Digital cameras have a sensor (or CCD) that converts the incoming light into a digital image. The problem with higher megapixel counts is that the more pixels, the more noise produced for a given sensor size. This is because as more & more pixels are jammed onto a sensor, the area on the sensor designated to each pixel decreases, resulting in more noise.

So get a camera with the largest sensor possible (they're tiny on digital compacts compared to DSLR's), & don't go over board with megapixel counts, or you'll get very noisy photographs!

As for optical zoom, I guess if you're in seats further away, you'll want a larger zoom than if you're in GA. For GA, a zoom of 3x or 4x is probably sufficient. Zooming in much beyond this range will probably result in blurry images, as you just can't hold the camera steady in the mosh. For seats 6x zoom may me ok, for 10x zoom you really need a tripod to keep things steady. As I've already mentioned, vibration reduction will help to some degree, to reduce blurring from camera shake. As mentioned previously don't go past the maximum optical zoom of your camera & into the digital zoom range. Digital zoom just decreases to detail of your photo, it's just the same as cropping the photo. Leave this cropping for post-production of your photos.

As for post production, cropping, sharpening etc. can be done on just about any photography application. Learning about histograms (changing the levels of exposure), can result in some fantactic results. If you set your camera to AUTO your camera will overexpose & underexpose shots a lot, especially in a concert environment (where it's suddenly light, then dark, with all the flashing lights). Correcting exposure levels can result in what look like totally junk shots coming out great! I use 'PAINT.NET' for this job, it's a free program.

The noise I've mentioned that occurs in high ISO shots can also be removed to some degree. This smoothing out of noise results in some loss of detail, but the results can still be pretty good. I use a free noise reduction software program called 'Noiseware' by Imagenomic (the community edition is free), another free option is Noise Ninja.

Here's some shots to show how noise effects high ISO concert shots. Not sure if it will show up too bad, as these pictures have all been reduced in size for this forum. But trust me, this noise is very, very noticebale at full size. The shots are at an Ani DiFranco concert, here in Australia. The first shot has had no post production (other than being cropped & resized for the board), the second shot has gone through noise reduction software, the 3rd shot is a sepia version of the first shot (noise can look ok for B & W or sepia).

1. Original
3266_190211745726_757420726_6789195_517394_n.jpg

2. Noise Reduction
3266_190211740726_757420726_6789194_7120942_n.jpg

3. Sepia
3266_190211750726_757420726_6789196_2940469_n.jpg

Ok, sorry, straying off-topic. So to some up;

For those that want simple point-and-shoot;
Sensor size - Get a camera with the largest sensor (CCD) possible. Larger sensors will reduce the level of noise in high ISO shots.
Megapixel count - 6MP should be ok (8 if you want to do lots of cropping & enlargements - don't go too high or photos will be noisy).
Optical zoom - 3x to 4x should be ok for those close in GA, 6+ for those further away. By all means buy a camera with a large zoom, but I wouldn't use the range up near 10x, as it's likely to be blurry due to camera shake.
Vibration Reduction - Get a camera with VR if possible, this will reduce blurring due to camera shake.
Sports mode - will allow for fast shutter speeds, to catch movement without blurring.

For those that want something more advanced (but still obviously in the digital comact range as a DSLR won't get into concerts);
Sensor size - As above, get a camera with the largest sensor (CCD) possible. Larger sensors will reduce the level of noise in high ISO shots.
Megapixel count - 8MP to 10 MP to allow for lots of cropping & enlargements - don't go over 10MP or photos will be noisy).
Manual controls - shutter & aperture priority, so you can control how your camera will behave.
Optical zoom - same as above, 3x to 4x for those close in GA, 6+ for those further away.
Vibration Reduction - this will reduce blurring due to camera shake.
Continuous shooting - a fast fps (frames per second), so you can catch lots of the action
A lense with a large aperture size (1/2.0 would be great) for low light photos.
The ability to shoot in RAW, a photo file type that produces very large file sizes (over 50MB per photo), but is very useful for post production.

I've actually been doing some research for a friend who's about to purchase a new camera, & I think I've found my dream camera for concerts. It's a bit over the price of those looking to spend $300 (it can be found for around $400). It only has a 2.5x zoom (from a very wide 24mm to 60mm), so it wouldn't be very good for those further away (but I plan to be very close). But it has very, very good low light results for a compact digital. This is due to the CCD sensor size - 1/1.63" (which is very large for a compact), a very fast lense (f stop 1/2.0 - the large aperture resulting in lower ISO's requires for a set shutter speed), & the megapixel count being limited to 10MP (quite low for that size sensor). It also has plenty of manual control, so you can dial the camera to do just what you want. The camera is the Panasonic DMC-LX3.

Another camera in the 'advanced compact' range that gets top-of-the-class marks is the Canon G10. It's a bit bigger (probably about the max size you'd want to try to get into a concert). It has a heap of very accessible manual controls, but it's continuing Canon's quest to up the pixel count. It's 14MP (with a sensor size slightly smaller than the above Panasonic) - I'm not sure if you can lower the pixel count (as you can with most digitals), resulting in less noisy shots.

here's a site with very in depth camera reviews, Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

blah, blah, blah :blahblah: ,...... sorry, I'll shut up now.

ps. as fishlips says, DON'T USE YOU FLASH! Most performers hate it, as it blinds them (one reason cameras aren't allowed at lots of concerts), although U2's gotta be used to all that flashing & Bono's shades have to help. Also it slows your camera down, & uses a heap of the battery (you'll get less shots), & you're just too far away for it to actually do anything!

I've got Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

For the money it takes good photos:

I'm also very satisfied with the videos (good zoom and sound, the latter depends on the venue. If it's too loud, the sound gets distorted a bit, but you can adjust the level of sound before filming):

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Björk - Joga
Katie Melua - Kozmic Blues
Interpol - Pace is the Trick

Its biggest problem is actually it's size. And the bigger the venue, the stricter the security check is.
Any suggestion how to get it in at the U2 gig? How strict are the security regarding it (especially in Barcelona, Dublin and the States)?

Fishlips, yours is as big as mine. How did you get it in?
Nice photos, by the way.:up:

tickets for sheffield uk have a "No cameras or recording equipment" notice in VERY BOLD text

lulz....that's cute

the unofficial/official rule has always been, no external lenses.

a few people have mentioned sony cybershots, i have one too (16x9 1080 hd). love the camera for taking pictures of my nephew, but the shutter speed can be painfully slow at times. i don't have a problem with having to use a pro-duo card because i have a 4gb. i hate the battery the most, you can't just pop in a couple of AAs. they are pricey and don't really last that long. you can't forget the charger or you're screwed.

odds are you aren't going to need flash as long as you take advantage of the house lights.

i bought a flip mino hd for christmas and i'm looking forward to trying that out.

-dan

If you're using 1/60s for sports, you're going to have a lot of blurry shots. ;)

what would you recommend for shutter speed? In regards to concert shots. I know I should try an ISO of 800 or more (i have the option to go to 3200 on mine).
I haven't found the option for shutter speed adjustment tho, is that the same as exposure? :reject:

what would you recommend for shutter speed? In regards to concert shots. I know I should try an ISO of 800 or more (i have the option to go to 3200 on mine).
I haven't found the option for shutter speed adjustment tho, is that the same as exposure? :reject:

Don't go too high with the ISO for point-and-shoots. Noise galore.
If you have an Image Stabilizer (or whatever your camera manufacturer calls it) I think shutterspeed 1/100 or so will do fine.

Try to stay at ISO 400-800 because of noise on point and shoots, as mentioned above.

B5.jpg

I took this one in a club recently on my DSLR (it was darker than a U2 show) at ISO 1600, 1/125s. But DSLRs perform better at high ISOs. 1/80-1/125 should capture most shots well, as long as the lighting is good. I wouldn't try over ISO 800 on a non-DSLR (or at least 99% of them).

Back
Top Bottom