Bono, Oh Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he is so much better now then on Vertigo tour, how come that he isnt able to hit "feel" in Vertigo ,hold "toutch" in Bd, "Wide Awake" in Bad and a few other notes like he did on Vertigo tour?

At the risk of being the most hated guy on interference, I would just like to say that this thread is not about whether we like to see him run, it's about whether his running and jumping is affecting his vocals negatively. I loved watching him run too, during the fly (boston elevation), Streets (slane), and it didn't affect his singing.

Now he is touching fifty for god's sake. This is a genuine question and not a jibe to you zuropa_fit, but would you rather him running around and not being able to sing properly, or would you want to see him rein it in and perform all the songs at his maximum vocal potential?

Yes, one man's plodding around is another man's look at him go, but should it be at the expense of the vocal performance itself?

My point exactly. One man's "plodding around" is another man's "Holy Shit, look at 'im go!!! :hyper: " I LOVE watching him run around the stage. It actually makes my heart race. I realize I'm probably in the minority but there you go.

Maybe your heart pounding in your ears is why you can't hear the subsequent lack of Bono's voice during the choruses after he sprints?

:wink:

(I'm just playin' btw...couldn't resist ;))

If he is so much better now then on Vertigo tour, how come that he isnt able to hit "feel" in Vertigo ,hold "toutch" in Bd, "Wide Awake" in Bad and a few other notes like he did on Vertigo tour?

Does it really matter? he probably can hit the notes if he tried, to me its how he sings throughout the whole show and not just certain words.

Now he is touching fifty for god's sake. This is a genuine question and not a jibe to you zuropa_fit, but would you rather him running around and not being able to sing properly, or would you want to see him rein it in and perform all the songs at his maximum vocal potential?

Yes, one man's plodding around is another man's look at him go, but should it be at the expense of the vocal performance itself?

If this happened every night then maybe I would care but it doesn't, so I don't...

At the risk of being the most hated guy on interference, I would just like to say that this thread is not about whether we like to see him run, it's about whether his running and jumping is affecting his vocals negatively. I loved watching him run too, during the fly (boston elevation), Streets (slane), and it didn't affect his singing.

Maybe your heart pounding in your ears is why you can't hear the subsequent lack of Bono's voice during the choruses after he sprints?

:wink:

(I'm just playin' btw...couldn't resist ;))

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't care. I think the showmanship is just as important as the vocal quality when it comes to a live show and if being a great showman means a little less vocal quality I"m okay with that.

I know everyone hates Coldplay but I"m going to reference them here. Please don't throw things. My husband LOVES them and HATES when C.M. runs and flops around b/c it really does affect his voice negatively. But for me, a casual fan, THAT's the kind of stuff that gets me all excited and makes me LOVE the live show so much more than listening to the CD.

I haven't really seen/heard him out of breath and he's been jumping and running for all the shows. The only time it was really clear was Rose Bowl. But he was super excited, hyperactive and probably very nervous at that show, he overdid it a little. Apart form that, I appreciate him moving and singing well at the same time. For a guy his age, he's doing pretty well.

ok, but what about breathe and GOYB? becuase these songs are the ones from almost all the shows I have watched (albeit fan-shot) where his vocals really suffer. And he always seems to come on the stage as a bundle of energy, barely being able to contain himself. I think that these songs, if sung well, have the potential to really kick off the show in an amazing fashion. Not that they are terrible (the playing is awesome),but they could be legendary live. :drool:

Have you actually tried singing Breathe? It's a hard song to sing. If you are jumping around like Bono does, it's even harder. I"m sure he played w/ just standing there and singing or moving around a bit. It's the first song in the set, he's got to play it w/ a bit of energy.

I'm being feisty here I know, but I think I've got a solution that will even things out after all.

Since people are just as happy with feats of physical strength as how the song sounds, I propose that on Leg 3, during MLK (or suitable other acapella moment) Adam and Edge duel in an arm wrestling match. Then for the next song because their arms and fingers will likely be numb they can (and this is why this moment of awesome has to include both of them) play only 2 of the 4 chords and Edge can trim back the solo a bit.

In other words, no fucking way.

Bono's instrument is affected greatly by his lungs. I don't think it makes anyone less of a fan to realize when he's crossed the line between creative liberty and showmanship into what's just plain old a bad move for a vocalist of his age.

invalidchicken.jpg

J/K - I just wanted an excuse to use this!

I'm being feisty here I know, but I think I've got a solution that will even things out after all.

Since people are just as happy with feats of physical strength as how the song sounds, I propose that on Leg 3, during MLK (or suitable other acapella moment) Adam and Edge duel in an arm wrestling match. Then for the next song because their arms and fingers will likely be numb they can (and this is why this moment of awesome has to include both of them) play only 2 of the 4 chords and Edge can trim back the solo a bit.

In other words, no fucking way.

Bono's instrument is affected greatly by his lungs. I don't think it makes anyone less of a fan to realize when he's crossed the line between creative liberty and showmanship into what's just plain old a bad move for a vocalist of his age.

Wait, who are you to tell Bono when he's crossed the line?! :shocked:

Okay, now I"m just being feisty. :reject:

I haven't really seen/heard him out of breath and he's been jumping and running for all the shows. The only time it was really clear was Rose Bowl. But he was super excited, hyperactive and probably very nervous at that show, he overdid it a little. Apart form that, I appreciate him moving and singing well at the same time. For a guy his age, he's doing pretty well.

I agree that his jumping most likely affect his vocals but this is what we must expect from a live show (esp with a hyper-unpredictable frontman like Bono).
Hell stage action like that even affects younger performers and like mentioned he is pushing 50 and yet he continues to be one of the most exciting live performers. It is true though that some of the slower songs might not have that tug at heart feeling when you listen to it but again it all depends on how Bono is feeling/thinking at that moment.
Some of the songs I heard live did leave me teary eyed. I can know how I would feel if they brought BAD to the set list. no matter what taht song really affects me

Thing that makes me laugh, last tour we had the whole "Bono's energy is down because he isnt running around the ellipse like he did around the heart", now this tour we are getting the whole "Bono shouldnt be running etc etc".

Geez man, it's very easy to say something like that, but not very clever. U2 has millions of fans. Is it really so surprising or laughable that there are two differing demands from fans?
Your post would have meaning if I ever complained about lack of bodily energy from bono (which, if you check my post history, I never have). Otherwise, you are just stating the bleeding obvious.

lack of sex

Umm, maybe ... too much instead? You know, it does hurt your voice.

I agree that his jumping most likely affect his vocals but this is what we must expect from a live show (esp with a hyper-unpredictable frontman like Bono).
Hell stage action like that even affects younger performers and like mentioned he is pushing 50 and yet he continues to be one of the most exciting live performers. It is true though that some of the slower songs might not have that tug at heart feeling when you listen to it but again it all depends on how Bono is feeling/thinking at that moment.
Some of the songs I heard live did leave me teary eyed. I can know how I would feel if they brought BAD to the set list. no matter what taht song really affects me

:up:

When I think about myself trying to talk, let alone sing after going up the steps to my appartment or after running a little ... I have to say: Bono's better than me. And I'm much younger. He's human, and him showing certain weaknesses makes him more human and accessible. Other performers may be good at playing instruments, but they stand at the mic stand with their guitars all night long, while Bono runs around all the time. The man has an amazing energy, and he is still able to sing very well.

What I like about him is that you can totally tell how and what he's feeling when he's singing, I don't think he can hide his emotions very well, he's a very open person and I appreciate that human side of him much more than I would appreciate a "perfect" show.

Peterrrr...there is so much more to singing than this...when will you realize that?

Also, the Vertigo tour had 5 legs...it ended a few years ago....the third leg of the 360 tour won't start for another 7 months or so, so lets not compare his "vertigo voice" with his "360 voice" just yet...if you compare legs 1 and 2 of each tour...that might be more fair...I'd say 360 tour wins...

Umm, maybe ... too much instead? You know, it does hurt your voice.

:up:

When I think about myself trying to talk, let alone sing after going up the steps to my appartment or after running a little ... I have to say: Bono's better than me. And I'm much younger. He's human, and him showing certain weaknesses makes him more human and accessible. Other performers may be good at playing instruments, but they stand at the mic stand with their guitars all night long, while Bono runs around all the time. The man has an amazing energy, and he is still able to sing very well.

What I like about him is that you can totally tell how and what he's feeling when he's singing, I don't think he can hide his emotions very well, he's a very open person and I appreciate that human side of him much more than I would appreciate a "perfect" show.

:giggle:

LU, I agree with you for the most part, but it's a bit silly to make these comparisons (i.e. "Bono's better than me"). That's not the point...he's on the bigggest stage in the world in the biggest band in the world, and tens of thousands of people are pouring into these huge stadiums....Bono shouldn't be so out of Breathe at the beginning of the show that he can't even deliver the opening song of the night, Breathe, like it should be delivered...

Having said all this, again..I think Bono sounds incredible overall. :)

Peterrrr...there is so much more to singing than this...when will you realize that?

Also, the Vertigo tour had 5 legs...it ended a few years ago....the third leg of the 360 tour won't start for another 7 months or so, so lets not compare his "vertigo voice" with his "360 voice" just yet...if you compare legs 1 and 2 of each tour...that might be more fair...I'd say 360 tour wins...

LU, I agree with you for the most part, but it's a bit silly to make these comparisons (i.e. "Bono's better than me"). That's not the point...he's on the bigggest stage in the world in the biggest band in the world, and tens of thousands of people are pouring into these huge stadiums....Bono shouldn't be so out of Breathe at the beginning of the show that he can't even deliver the opening song of the night, Breathe, like it should be delivered...

Somethings are better now then on Vertigo, but it isnt just the notes that was stronger on Veetigo tour. He had alot more energy with his voice. He expermented more with his voice, playing with it more. "Rock N Roll ******", "Highwy To Hell", "All I Want Is Youuuuuuuuuuuu", "She loves you yeah yeah"......... Listen to the clips on my site from Vertigo tour and you will know what I mean.

Somethings are better now then on Vertigo, but it isnt just the notes that was stronger on Veetigo tour. He had alot more energy with his voice. He expermented more with his voice, playing with it more. "Rock N Roll ******", "Highwy To Hell", "All I Want Is Youuuuuuuuuuuu", "She loves you yeah yeah"......... Listen to the clips on my site from Vertigo tour and you will know what I mean.

Didnt most of those snippets come during the 3rd leg onwards though? he certainly didnt experiment with his voice in manchester.

I understand, but it's the nervousness and excitement that leads to someone being "out of breath" rather than not being physically fit, and that's most probably the case especially in the beginning of a show. Also, Breathe (how fitting) is a song that really needs to be sung very fast and Bono's adrenaline is possibly somewhere in the orbit, so I do understand that he may run out of breath. He's human. Saying he shouldn't be out of breath is like saying he shouldn't sweat because he's supposed to be more professional than that.
But I also have to say that I didn't notice much breathlessness about Bono and I've heard and seen a lot of boots and videos from the tour. At the shows I went to personally I actually thought: Wow,, to have that energy and still be able to sing like that!

I understand, but it's the nervousness and excitement that leads to someone being "out of breath" rather than not being physically fit, and that's most probably the case especially in the beginning of a show. Also, Breathe (how fitting) is a song that really needs to be sung very fast and Bono's adrenaline is possibly somewhere in the orbit, so I do understand that he may run out of breath. He's human. Saying he shouldn't be out of breath is like saying he shouldn't sweat because he's supposed to be more professional than that.
But I also have to say that I didn't notice much breathlessness about Bono and I've heard and seen a lot of boots and videos from the tour. At the shows I went to personally I actually thought: Wow,, to have that energy and still be able to sing like that!

I agree with you Silvia, watching Bono perform and trying keep up with him is totally exhausting! :yippie: And I've very rarely noticed him to be out of breath when singing live. :no:

I just don't understand some people with this criticism of Bono not sounding as good as he does on the album! :tsk: If you want to hear U2 and Bono perform songs as they are on the album, then stay at home and listen to the bloody cd! If you're going to a U2 gig expecting to hear every song sang and played in perfect key with word perfect lyrics you're gonna disappointed every time!! :shrug:

I personally go to U2 concerts to see them perform, bugger the bloody lyrics (so long as they're kinda right :wink: ), don't care if Bono's voice is a little off key, Bono can run like to bloody wind or stand stock still and I'd still be happy! :D

bono's voice again.....:doh: the man is pushing 50, likes to drink, doesnt sleep, and yet is still better than all or most people half his age.

Back
Top Bottom