Big production next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
alright so next tour, do you think U2 will have a big production with huge props and stadiums and all that good stuff, or do you think it will be a low-scale production?...and which would you prefer to see?

Currently U2 s in prime position to do a "big" production. There coming off the highly successful "Vertigo Tour" and the touring industry needs something revolutionary (High Def anyone?).

I'm all for the big production if prices are on par with the Vertigo Tour. $160 for the best seats (still alot). I think U2 is aware of the need to take a risk not only in the studio, but on the road.

i agree in regards to the new album... but U2 specifically doesn't need to do anything to revolutionize the touring industry. But surely, if they were to "revolutionize" concert atmosphere in some sort of way it would be HUGE, and the tour would be that much bigger and more successful...

i'd kind of like bigger production..it just seems like it's more....epic? i guess? I don't know...it just seems like more of an actual show that way and even more entertaining..

The 'biggest' show I've ever seen was the $5 dollar show U2 put on for the Joshua Tree tour in Sun Devil Stadium. That show had a magnitude and atmosphere that blew away all subsequent tours.

Just a gut feeling but I kinda think U2 may go very low key... but who knows, the feel of the album will really dictate this.

U2 NEEDS to give the concert industry a big kick in the ass. Bands are getting lazy. U2 are the only band who can do this, I think. They will be in their late 40s by the time they tour again, but that's not too old to break new ground.

No other band has been in this position, ever. While U2 have some of that "classic rock" thing going on, they are also a very current band that can still have a hit album. Most bands at this age aren't doing this. They're either raping their legacy for a buck (Stones), making country music to try and sell more records (Bon Jovi), or they're pairing up with other old bands in a desperate attempt to sell out concerts. (Aerosmith/Motley Crue).
If any band can revitalize the concert industry (again), then U2 is the band for the job (again).

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just a gut feeling but I kinda think U2 may go very low key... but who knows, the feel of the album will really dictate this.

well the only reason I see U2 going low key is to draw the concentration to the music itself and add a more intimate feel to the show...

is that what you were thinking or is something else giving you this "gut feeling"?

Rob33 said:

well the only reason I see U2 going low key is to draw the concentration to the music itself and add a more intimate feel to the show...

is that what you were thinking or is something else giving you this "gut feeling"?

Yeah... Like I said it depends on the feel of the album. But if the clips from Fez are any indication of what we may get, I think it would be pretty cool to see this very intimate U2.

I would love to see U2 do a stage in the round play in the center and just hang out on a bunch of carpets like the pics from Fez.

If they play large places, they will have to do something big and flashy. Even if it's low-key flashy like Elevation. Every tour has its hook so lazy journalists will have something to write about.

I thought that the Vertigo tour, while enjoyable, was coasting a bit. Sure, the LED curtain was cool, but the ellipse again? We've had this discussion before...

I would love U2 to go super low-key and play theaters. I've got a connection in my town. :wink:

I think they should just stick to the arena ellipse thing. Its intimate and it seems to please the fans.
I mean yeah ZooTV was awesome, even though I wasnt there. But I think since live is their element they dont need other things to become a distraction.

I'd be surprised if they spend so much time doing arenas in the US this time. I think there'll be less dates, in bigger venues (stadiums). As for the show, probably somewhere between Stadium Vertigo (pretty basic, but very effective) and the ultra-crazy Zoo/Popmart ideas. I think they'll have to give it all more oomph, but not an oversized theme as per those two. I do think this time though it will be the start of winding down the time and energy used.

earnie, I really don't see energy or time winding down unless they move to really low production type of stuff, like small theaters...which I doubt they would ever do...

but the ellipse issue interests me...elevation's heart was cool, and I thought Vertigo's was even more effective, but what is next? are they going to have an extended stage like that?

Rob33 said:

but the ellipse issue interests me...elevation's heart was cool, and I thought Vertigo's was even more effective, but what is next? are they going to have an extended stage like that?

I started a thread a while back about what everyone thought the set up was going to be like. Will they still do GA and do some sort of ellipse? No matter what they'll have some sort of theme like that because its obvious they like the Bstage idea since theyve used it for a while now. Bono really likes being able to run around. :lol:

Yeah, I think they'll continue to do arenas anyway. It will be a smaller tour compared to Vertigo. Obviously no extended legs like with Japan and Austrailia.

Rob33 said:
earnie, I really don't see energy or time winding down unless they move to really low production type of stuff, like small theaters...which I doubt they would ever do...

I just mean that they spend over a year on the road, much of it doing a couple of arena runs around the US where they do multiple nights in some cities, loads of dates close together, when if they do the stadium route in the US they can merge so many of those dates into a singlular gig. Less energy, less time. As they get older I'm sure that will get tempting. Shorter tours, less gigs, but you reach the same amount of people.

Earnie Shavers said:

I just mean that they spend over a year on the road, much of it doing a couple of arena runs around the US where they do multiple nights in some cities, loads of dates close together, when if they do the stadium route in the US they can merge so many of those dates into a singlular gig. Less energy, less time. As they get older I'm sure that will get tempting. Shorter tours, less gigs, but you reach the same amount of people.

ah I think I misunderstood you, yes I agree :)

I'd like to see them explore what they talked about before Vertigo - remember that thread how they had the beginnings of technology where you could split and direct the sound in a room ?

I'd like to see them completely re-energize the rock tour concept, like they did with Zoo TV, or at least get a new stage setup idea, like the heart was.

U2girl said:
I'd like to see them explore what they talked about before Vertigo - remember that thread how they had the beginnings of technology where you could split and direct the sound in a room ?

I'd like to see them completely re-energize the rock tour concept, like they did with Zoo TV, or at least get a new stage setup idea, like the heart was.

:yes:

U2girl said:

Totally agree. Like it or not, they've been using some pretty sweet gimmicks on the tours since ZooTV. Even Elevation was pretty high-tech in its way. Scaling back too much would seem like a retreat. They've already played the "four guys playing on a stage" card with Elevation, even though that was with a wink.

I'd like to see something else besides the ellipse/heart. Three times in a row would seem unimaginative. I know there's only so many ways to configure a stage, though.

The sound thing was always promising. Wonder where they are with that technology.

hmm..interesting points raised here...

the cool thing about all this is that as time moves on technology improves, so this spells even better concert sound on the next tour hopefully :yes:

but regarding the stage...I don't really think they need to change that aspect of their shows...it's brilliant and interactive...i would just like to see a different shape than a heart or ellipse, but seeing as they changed from elevation to vertigo, I don't see why they wouldn't change it up again...they can do a lot more in addition to the extended stage that would be a progression and really add to the U2 atmosphere...

so I would like to see a different kind of extended stage (not a heart/ellipse) and then something else added to make the tour special and unique

I guess I have a selective memory or something. Weren't people a little disappointed that the heart/ellipse idea was repeated for the Vertigo tour? That nothing was radically changed? I guess there are grumblers at every turn, but I for one hoped for something a little different. I mean, you can call the next one an oval or an egg or whatever, the general idea is the same.

Does anyone remember those crazy-ass designs that popped up online about potential Vertigo stage setups before the ellipse was unveiled?

umm..I seem to be missing something here..what is so bad about keeping the extended stage but just changing the shape of it? It's more interesting than any other band's live setup and more interactive with the crowd...

anyway, now or whenever, it would be interesting to see what people have in mind for stage, so maybe we can design our own and then post them here again? that would be fun, I wasn't around for it the last time...we'll see! :)

No low key stuff.

They need to think up something new yes but id say a mix between Popmart and ZooTV could do the trick.

ahittle said:

I thought that the Vertigo tour, while enjoyable, was coasting a bit. Sure, the LED curtain was cool, but the ellipse again? We've had this discussion before...

oh.....I LOVED the LED curtain!

And in the ATLYCLB tour-it was quite fascinating visually have WIlle williams got alot of atmoshere out of relaively "simple" lighting effects, but not much colored lighting.

But I was THRILLED to see much more colored lighting on them in Vertigo Tour!
Springteen also has had some great colored lighting as well.

what can I say :wink:
I grew up with The WHo doing "Tommy" live at the Filmore East {OMFG},and I've been in love with colored lighting as a dramatic efect ever sice. :D
Well, I'm an artist and a photograper, too and I am a colorist.

I really like the elipse b/c so mnay moer people get to see them.

they :hmm: COULD do a double straight walkway...ie ZOOTV..but 2 and sing some songs on one, and some on others and back to the big stage.

IF it's BIG I wonder what WW will come up eith next! :hyper:

Do we know Willie Williams will be involved ? I thought he isn't working for them anymore after Vertigo tour.

hmm..maybe U2 should have a huge stage that goes up and down :hmm: that would be knew!!!

Back
Top Bottom