Alternative View of the 360 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kohoutek

The Fly
After months of staying mostly in the dark about the tour, we finally saw the show in Raleigh. We have seen U2 a few times going back to the mid 80s, and we were fairly disheartened by many components of last night's show. Since there seems to be fairly universal praise for this tour on this site, I'd like to engage others, those who agree and disagree, in a discussion on certain points.
It all starts with the tickets: prices, seat locations, etc. Though my wife and I spent our time on GA floors at shows (for lots of bands) in the 80s, we've hit a point where we are not convinced it's worth the hassle. As a result, since U2 moved to the GA floor model in 2001, we've gone for the high dollar seats. We are OK with the extravagance as we value experiences over things, plus we have friends who go to multiple shows whereas we only go to one per tour. However, I was quite skeptical from the get go about the seats we ended up with through the presale, since, according to the seating chart, they tended toward the back of the stage, and they weren't particularly close to the field.
Meanwhile, I started to hear that people were getting into the inner circle as late as 7:00 or 7:30 and getting decent spots on the back rail with a reasonable amount of space. I decided that that was the solution to our perceived problem, and I grabbed 4 GAs during a drop.
So, the "best seats in the house are among the cheapest"? We got into the inner circle about 5:45 or 6:00, and we did get a spot on Adam's side near the back rail. We started to talk about whether we were going to be happy in the pit or in our seats, and a group of ladies next to us earnestly told us to stay where we were. It didn't take long for the density of people to get to a point that ensured my wife and daughters, all 5' 2" could not see at all. That brings me to the first point: why in the world is everyone here convinced that GA is so fantastic? Is everyone who posts on this site 6 feet tall? Unless you have the luxury of spending significant time waiting in line and are lucky enough to get front rail, or you are 6 feet tall, the GA seats are horrible. As I suspected, the GA area was packing them in all the way to the end zone opposite the stage. Does anyone really get a kick out of seeing (or, more accurately, not seeing) a band they love on a video screen? Obviously, since my wife and daughters could not see at all, we went to our "premium" seats right after Muse left the stage.
I suspected from the seating chart that our premium seats were not so nice, but they were really worse than I expected. We were at the 2:00 position on Adam's side and all the way up in row W. This was essentially a rear stage view, nowhere near the field, and miles away from the stage. These were $250 seats. So, my second question is, does everyone on this site really think U2 is fair to charge these prices for crappy seats? Does everyone here think the seats I described are not crappy?
The last observation concerns the stage and the lack of use of the outer ring. All we've heard about is how U2 was trying to get closer to more people with the 360 concept, or, as Bono put it last night, they were going for "intimacy on a grand scale". Our observations? The main stage is small and more akin to an arena stage than a stadium stage. Further, the band rarely used the outer ring, and, when they did, it was in a perfunctory mode, and they seemed in quite a hurry to get back to the main stage.
I sum it up like this. Given the small stage, the distance of that small stage from the closest seats, and the fact that the outer ring was all but not used, there are really no good seats to be had in the stadium at any price. That leaves GA as the only option, but unless you invest the insane amount of devotion and time required to get on the front rail and/or are 6 feet tall, you are going to have a limited view if you can see anything at all. My conclusion is that this setup, and its execution, has resulted in the band isolating itself from more of its fans, not the other way around. Only a very, very few (we're talking in the 100s) fans are getting a good spot at these shows.
Does anyone here agree with me? Does anyone here think my points are entirely without merit?

This is Interference, so it's rather commonplace to loathe U2 in every way possible.

there are really no good seats to be had in the stadium at any price.

Quite an extreme comment don't you think?

Just think how shitty it would have been if it were the JT tour and there were no visual aids maginfying the band for you and they all looked like ants? How did all those people pre 90's ever enjoy a concert unless they had front row?

:wink:

It's all about perspective.

This is Interference, so it's rather commonplace to loathe U2 in every way possible.

Point well taken on many counts. I don't loathe U2 and don't believe I indicated that I do. If I did, I wouldn't have gone to the effort to see them several times since 1985. I really am curious to know, though, whether I am just out of my mind or if others out there share any of my views (whether partially or fully).

Do you really think that's what he's doing?

No, but I'm just saying that it's not out-of-the-ordinary for opinions on the tour to run the gamut from loving it to wanting to hit someone.

Personally, I think $250/seat is beyond ridiculous, so I agree on that point, I would never pay that. I guess I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie fan but I've been to 12 shows and I don't think I'll ever pay more than $75/spot (so basically GA + fees at today's prices) regardless of whether it's GA or a seat. But unlike the OP I'd rather see more shows for less. A good friend of mine got some of the most awesome seats ever for one of the Vertigo shows but after we convinced her to try GA she is never going back to seats.

Not sure I can sympathize with the GA complaint though. There were a gazillion places to stand other than being crammed into the pit without a rail spot. Yes, if you want a good spot up front you're just going to have to line up like several hundred others who also want that spot. We were on the rail for Chicago 1 and then showed up as the doors open and went straight to the soundboard (very BACK) for Chicago 2 and enjoyed that view and that experience MUCH better. No waiting in line, plenty of space, and a full view of the band, the stage, and the entire claw. A few from our group went into the pit right away to get wristbands but decided the view from the back was better and never went back to the pit.

I've found that there is a lot of variation in how much the outer ring is used. It was the same for Vertigo too. One show they'd be all over the place, then the next night they'd hardly leave the main stage at all. I guess I'd rather have it this way than have every show be the same and start feeling rehearsed as far as where the band is standing.

As far as the band "isolating" themselves and only a few getting a "good spot", I guess that depends on what you are looking for. If you want to see each bead of sweat on Bono's brow, then yes, this tour (or ANY stadium tour, really) is not for you. Like I said, I actually preferred being at the very back of the floor so I could actually see *everything*. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I think if you had the opportunity to see the *whole* show you might feel differently. Your seats sound crappy, and even on a good rail spot in the pit you cannot see the spectacle that is The Claw.

Just think how shitty it would have been if it were the JT tour and there were no visual aids maginfying the band for you and they all looked like ants? How did all those people pre 90's ever enjoy a concert unless they had front row?

OK, but as a point of comparison: I saw JT in an arena from "not great" seats. I saw Zoo TV in an arena from nosebleed. I believe I was closer to the stage for Zoo TV in the "cheap seats" than I was at 360 in the "premium". Further, the only other stadium shows I've ever done have been for The Stones, and they had an end stage set up but worked that stage one end to the other. So if you were in the first 20 rows on the field or in the first 2 or 3 lowers, you got a pretty good view and were drawn in. Did it suck for the rest of the stadium? In my opinion, probably so, but I think the end stage setup in a stadium is less isolating than the set up U2 has. Again, part of the problem is they are not using that ramp. If they would spend more time out there (I know it's giant - not trying to wear them out, but if they aren't fit enough to cover some ground, they shouldn't be doing stadium shows), that would probably solve a good bit of the problem.

I think a lot of how one will think a certain view of the stage depends entirely on one's expectations and desires. If one has a desire to always see the band, then yeah, this tour might have issues, but so will all stadium tours, truth be told. If one is okay with sitting back, relaxing, taking in the full aura, a lot of the time just watching the band on the screen, watching the full spectacle, and listening to great music, then this tour is very good for them.

I personally probably fall into the latter group... at my one show, the stadium felt like an arena to me (although it was Soldier Field, which isn't the most massive stadium in the world).

Personally, I think $250/seat is beyond ridiculous, so I agree on that point, I would never pay that. I guess I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie fan but I've been to 12 shows and I don't think I'll ever pay more than $75/spot (so basically GA + fees at today's prices) regardless of whether it's GA or a seat. But unlike the OP I'd rather see more shows for less. A good friend of mine got some of the most awesome seats ever for one of the Vertigo shows but after we convinced her to try GA she is never going back to seats.

Not sure I can sympathize with the GA complaint though. There were a gazillion places to stand other than being crammed into the pit without a rail spot. Yes, if you want a good spot up front you're just going to have to line up like several hundred others who also want that spot. We were on the rail for Chicago 1 and then showed up as the doors open and went straight to the soundboard (very BACK) for Chicago 2 and enjoyed that view and that experience MUCH better. No waiting in line, plenty of space, and a full view of the band, the stage, and the entire claw. A few from our group went into the pit right away to get wristbands but decided the view from the back was better and never went back to the pit.

I've found that there is a lot of variation in how much the outer ring is used. It was the same for Vertigo too. One show they'd be all over the place, then the next night they'd hardly leave the main stage at all. I guess I'd rather have it this way than have every show be the same and start feeling rehearsed as far as where the band is standing.

I heard that the soundboard was a nice spot, but seems so dang far away. Perhaps we should have checked that out. Perhaps part of my problem is, ultimately, I guess I just don't like the idea of stadiums so much. BUT, the other 2 stadium shows I've seen did get the job done.

Look, I know this is U2 and all 60,000 people want to be within 5 "rows" of the band and that's unrealistic. I'm willing to accept being some distance from the stage/band, but I think this setup makes anything but "damn far away" impossible but for a very few people. Given that, maybe they should just flat price the seats rather than deceiving people with "premium" ones. I don't even think they intended to deceive. I just think the whole thing wasn't well thought out. I bought the "golden circle" seats for Elevation, and were weren't particularly near the floor, but I was fine. This is just not working in stadiums (for me anyway). OK, I'm going to stop my rambling. Peace.

OK, but as a point of comparison: I saw JT in an arena from "not great" seats. I saw Zoo TV in an arena from nosebleed. I believe I was closer to the stage for Zoo TV in the "cheap seats" than I was at 360 in the "premium". Further, the only other stadium shows I've ever done have been for The Stones, and they had an end stage set up but worked that stage one end to the other. So if you were in the first 20 rows on the field or in the first 2 or 3 lowers, you got a pretty good view and were drawn in. Did it suck for the rest of the stadium? In my opinion, probably so, but I think the end stage setup in a stadium is less isolating than the set up U2 has. Again, part of the problem is they are not using that ramp. If they would spend more time out there (I know it's giant - not trying to wear them out, but if they aren't fit enough to cover some ground, they shouldn't be doing stadium shows), that would probably solve a good bit of the problem.

I guess I just don't like the idea of stadiums so much.
Now it seems like you're being a little more honest with yourself, it just seems like you don't like stadium shows.

Look, I know this is U2 and all 60,000 people want to be within 5 "rows" of the band and that's unrealistic. I'm willing to accept being some distance from the stage/band, but I think this setup makes anything but "damn far away" impossible but for a very few people.
I've seen quite a few stadium shows and Popmart and this tour are two that honestly you forget it's a stadium show.

Given that, maybe they should just flat price the seats rather than deceiving people with "premium" ones. I don't even think they intended to deceive. I just think the whole thing wasn't well thought out.
No way, flat price suck and don't make sense. The reason you have 250 tickets is so that you can afford to give some folks a 30 ticket, seems very well thought out to me.

I'm willing to accept being some distance from the stage/band, but I think this setup makes anything but "damn far away" impossible but for a very few people.

Like I said, I wish you had seen the whole show from a good view, I think you would feel differently. The group of people I was with ALL prefer arena shows hands down, and we will wait in line 24+ hours to be FRONT rail in a smaller arena so we can see every wink of the eye from the band, and yet we ALL had the time of our lives at the very back of the floor....

Now it seems like you're being a little more honest with yourself, it just seems like you don't like stadium shows.

No way, flat price suck and don't make sense. The reason you have 250 tickets is so that you can afford to give some folks a 30 ticket, seems very well thought out to me.

On the first point, yes and no. Bono loves contradictions, so allow me to embrace one. You're right. I much preferred seeing The Minus 5/The Baseball Project/Steve Wynn show with a crowd of 200 people the week before the U2 show. BUT, I have seen 3 stadium shows, and 2 of the 3 blew me away. It can be done.

Second point: I'm fine with high priced tickets subsidizing some seats that are more affordable, but I'm not fine with what U2/Live Nation defined as a "premium" seat for this tour. Not by a long shot. I didn't ask anyone around me when the show was over, but I saw rows and rows of people not smiling. I didn't hear the usual "that was amazing". I think a LOT of people felt ripped off, but the average fan doesn't post on a site like this. I'm speaking for them. I think U2 are capable of devising a better way to do this.

I think a LOT of people felt ripped off, but the average fan doesn't post on a site like this. I'm speaking for them.

Just a suggestion.

If you want to get taken seriously in life, don't ever say something like this, especially when you admit you didn't even talk to any of them.

We were at the 2:00 position on Adam's side and all the way up in row W. This was essentially a rear stage view, nowhere near the field, and miles away from the stage. These were $250 seats. So, my second question is, does everyone on this site really think U2 is fair to charge these prices for crappy seats? Does everyone here think the seats I described are not crappy?

I must say those do sound like crappy seats for $250. My seats at Gillette 2 were the same price level and they were great. We were in the 29th row on Edge's side and we could see the whole band throughout the entire show, even when they were on the bridge on Adam's side.. This was a far cry from my $97 seats the prior night were we relied heavily on the screen and the atmosphere was a fraction of what it was opn the second night. I do admit that $250 is a bit much for a stadium -- I think $175 really would have been more reasonable.

I sum it up like this. Given the small stage, the distance of that small stage from the closest seats, and the fact that the outer ring was all but not used, there are really no good seats to be had in the stadium at any price.
I absolutely can not agree with this.

I'm only 5'6", will be on the opposite end of the field at the upcoming AZ show and have the best (non-GA) seats in the entire building, all for just $55 ($77 after fees). That's a steal compared to what the Arizona Cardinals charge for the same seat I'll be in.

Just a suggestion.

If you want to get taken seriously in life, don't ever say something like this, especially when you admit you didn't even talk to any of them.

Fair enough. But given greater than 40 years of life, I, like most people, can read basic body language and facial expressions. Further, I have seen a good 300 +/- live shows so far in my life with crowd sizes ranging from about 100 to 60,000, so I think I know what a blissed out crowd looks/acts/sounds like after a show. Let's assume that the people in my section were either 1) crappy fans, 2) extremely sleepy, 3) practicing a religion that requires vows of silence and neutral facial expressions, 4) pining for the fjords (any Monty Python fans here?), 5) underwhelmed, or 6) feeling ripped off. I'm open to other interpretations, but they were eerily quiet, and they weren't smiling. This was not a state I observed for 10 seconds, but quite some time due to the slow progress of getting out of the stadium.

You're right, I didn't ask them, but they sure seemed like they were not entralled with something. Perhaps there were clairvoyant regarding the traffic home.

I absolutely can not agree with this.

I'm only 5'6", will be on the opposite end of the field at the upcoming AZ show and have the best (non-GA) seats in the entire building, all for just $55 ($77 after fees). That's a steal compared to what the Arizona Cardinals charge for the same seat I'll be in.

That's fair, as it boils down to a matter of opinion, and I'm not right, and you're not wrong. For me, I have no interest in seeing any band from the opposite end of a football stadium. You are going to see tiny little stick figures on the stage from that distance. If you want to "see" them, you're going to have to look at the video screen. I don't define a "good" seat as meaning that I have to be able to read the band members' facial expressions, but I do sort of like to be able to look at them and recognize them for who they are.

Very true! JT and others were end stages that had to be very high for anyone more than 10 rows back to see at all. As a result, the barricade to the stage was a LONG way, much longer than the distance either from the stage to the front rail or the distance as you make your way around the circle.

I have been through this with alot of people, this is as INTIMATE as you get for a stadium tour, period. There are seats that are far away, there will always be, but none on this tour are obstructed view in any way, and all provide great views of the spectacle that is the claw.

To the original poster, I am not bashing you here, you bring up a relevant discussion. I think part of the issue with them not using the outer circle as much is they took a beating for it from some asshole at the Boston Globe. He said it made the show feel disjointed, the band less together and he "lost" members of the band for significant periods of time(must be blind, again, you will not get better site lines in a stadium). As a result, U2 used the circle much less the 2nd Boston show, it was very noticeable!

Maybe this trend has continued?

I think they are capable of moving around it just fine, they still play with the same amount of energy as before.

Is it possible that it could have been Carter-Finley specifically that was the problem and not U2 360 concept in general? How far are the seats from the field there compared to where you saw the Stones?

As for ticket prices and premium seats, it will obviously differ by stadium. I think U2 does their best to have good views from their presale seats at all levels of the stadium, I know I was satisfied with mine. $250 sounds pricey at first, but not compared to what some other bands(Stones, Police, McCartney) that haven't put out anything relevant in YEARS will charge to be down front. I don't think there is any false or dishonest advertising of premium seating going on, just some stadiums where you just can't do too well in alot of places.

I think there is legitimate criticism to be had for U2 on this tour, don't get me wrong. There is not need for all the ATYCLB in the setlist and in general, they are not playing songs that really fit stadiums. What could be one of their greatest tours ever is in danger of becoming a snooze fest due to song selection. In fact, if you noticed the people around leaving and not smiling, that could be alot of it. The claw, as amazing as it is, is not being used to full effect in every song.

In terms of seating arrangements and ticket prices, I feel that, as always, they have tried and succeeded at being pretty fair. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but a 360 degree, no obstructed view, in the round stadium show with an arena type inner circle and outer ring is pretty damn good. To keep a majority(60% and up in some markets) of tickets at $55 or under is unheard of for a band as big as U2 with the biggest stage set ever.

they sure seemed like they were not entralled with something.

It's simple. You were at Raleigh, right? Okay, perhaps spending hundreds of dollars on a show to see your favorite band appear as tiny ants across a football field, where you expect, at the very least to hear more of the great classic songs such as Pride (In The Name of Love), or Bullet The Blue Sky, or Even Better Than The Real Thing, or The Fly, or Gloria, or Bad, or Gone, or Staring At The Sun, or The Electric Co., or Two Hearts Beat as One, or Until The End of the World, etc., and instead getting I'll Go Crazy, and Get On Your Boots and Moment of Surrender, etc.... yeah, it's just a little disappointing. The casual fan is completely uninterested in the new stuff, and the longtime loyalists are finally starting to admit that the songs aren't exactly encore material. Expectations are everything. Either bring back the classics, or cut the new stuff and give the audience 30 more minutes of Muse... that'll give the fans some positive body language and a smile on their faces at the end of the night.

Bad experience

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show.

I am 5'4" and did GA for the first Chicago show. Saw almost nothing directly, but rather had to watch the screen most of the time. I was about 9 rows back from the outer rail after cutters shoved us back just around show time.
My stupidity was in not moving to another location, but I will say I still enjoyed the show.

Second night I had Red Zone, right on the rail outside of Adam's side. Perfect view of everyone at least once (Bono 3X, Edge 2X, Larry 1X and Adam...most of the night it seemed.)
Those tickets cost $160. It's a good option to see the band up close if you win the auction.

Every page at Ticketmaster shows the plan of the stadium. Yes, it's sometimes hard to imagine the distances, but had I bought seats, my binoculars would have gone along regardless of how close I thought I would be sitting. You might consider that option. They were even renting them at Soldier Field.

In short, I think it falls upon the fan to do his/her homework when buying tickets. GA is a dice roll, Red Zone expensive but worth it, IMHO. Seats are clearly marked as to where you'll be sitting.

U2 have done everything possible to make this a good experience, I believe. I certainly plan to go again next year.

Birdlover

Very true! JT and others were end stages that had to be very high for anyone more than 10 rows back to see at all. As a result, the barricade to the stage was a LONG way, much longer than the distance either from the stage to the front rail or the distance as you make your way around the circle.

I have been through this with alot of people, this is as INTIMATE as you get for a stadium tour, period. There are seats that are far away, there will always be, but none on this tour are obstructed view in any way, and all provide great views of the spectacle that is the claw.

To the original poster, I am not bashing you here, you bring up a relevant discussion. I think part of the issue with them not using the outer circle as much is they took a beating for it from some asshole at the Boston Globe. He said it made the show feel disjointed, the band less together and he "lost" members of the band for significant periods of time(must be blind, again, you will not get better site lines in a stadium). As a result, U2 used the circle much less the 2nd Boston show, it was very noticeable!

Maybe this trend has continued?

I think they are capable of moving around it just fine, they still play with the same amount of energy as before.

Is it possible that it could have been Carter-Finley specifically that was the problem and not U2 360 concept in general? How far are the seats from the field there compared to where you saw the Stones?

As for ticket prices and premium seats, it will obviously differ by stadium. I think U2 does their best to have good views from their presale seats at all levels of the stadium, I know I was satisfied with mine. $250 sounds pricey at first, but not compared to what some other bands(Stones, Police, McCartney) that haven't put out anything relevant in YEARS will charge to be down front. I don't think there is any false or dishonest advertising of premium seating going on, just some stadiums where you just can't do too well in alot of places.

I think there is legitimate criticism to be had for U2 on this tour, don't get me wrong. There is not need for all the ATYCLB in the setlist and in general, they are not playing songs that really fit stadiums. What could be one of their greatest tours ever is in danger of becoming a snooze fest due to song selection. In fact, if you noticed the people around leaving and not smiling, that could be alot of it. The claw, as amazing as it is, is not being used to full effect in every song.

In terms of seating arrangements and ticket prices, I feel that, as always, they have tried and succeeded at being pretty fair. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but a 360 degree, no obstructed view, in the round stadium show with an arena type inner circle and outer ring is pretty damn good. To keep a majority(60% and up in some markets) of tickets at $55 or under is unheard of for a band as big as U2 with the biggest stage set ever.

I don't feel at all bashed by you or anyone else, even if they intend to bash me. I really did post this to get a sense of what others thought knowing full well that I might provoke a few folks. Your comments were actually extremely helpful, and you and I are very close to the same wavelength. Specifically, one thing I did not mention (because I did not so much want to also review the performance in this thread, but I will now - see what you've done?! :) ) was that the band, especially Bono, seemed distracted at best, if not downright bothered by something. I'm not a multi-show per tour person, but I have seen these guys a few times, and they just seemed to be somewhere else. I'm not seeing too many posts anywhere to this effect, but most of my friends noticed it. I mean, it's to the point that I'm actually worried about Bono and the band. Maybe it's nothing. After about 7 songs (well, starting with Unforgettable Fire, among my favorites of the night), the show got better, but it was more like Bono was trying hard to enjoy himself rather than actually doing so. More to your point, I really like the new album but am not such a fan of ATYCLB, so wasn't thrilled with the setlist on that front. But I really didn't expect to be. MLK was a nice surprise, as was Ultraviolet (and loved the jacket - I must make one for myself!). But, yeah, beyond my incesant complaining about my seats, the show was good. That's the problem - it was just good, and I'm used to "transcendant" and "life changing" from U2 (ok, a little unfair to expect, but that's what they've always delivered). Had I felt the fire and passion of past tours, I'd have gotten over my crappy seats. By the way, I am not making this up, one of the Stones shows I saw was the same stadium (Carter-Finley), and the seats were almost exactly the same (last night was section 2 row W; Stones in 89 was section 23 row V - directly across from the seats I had last night). Somehow, the intensity and energy level from the Stones, as well as the size and position of their stage, made it great. I felt part of the Stones show, whereas last night it was more like TV. A damn fancy TV.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show.

I am 5'4" and did GA for the first Chicago show. Saw almost nothing directly, but rather had to watch the screen most of the time. I was about 9 rows back from the outer rail after cutters shoved us back just around show time.
My stupidity was in not moving to another location, but I will say I still enjoyed the show.

Second night I had Red Zone, right on the rail outside of Adam's side. Perfect view of everyone at least once (Bono 3X, Edge 2X, Larry 1X and Adam...most of the night it seemed.)
Those tickets cost $160. It's a good option to see the band up close if you win the auction.

Every page at Ticketmaster shows the plan of the stadium. Yes, it's sometimes hard to imagine the distances, but had I bought seats, my binoculars would have gone along regardless of how close I thought I would be sitting. You might consider that option. They were even renting them at Soldier Field.

In short, I think it falls upon the fan to do his/her homework when buying tickets. GA is a dice roll, Red Zone expensive but worth it, IMHO. Seats are clearly marked as to where you'll be sitting.

U2 have done everything possible to make this a good experience, I believe. I certainly plan to go again next year.

Birdlover

You're right - buyer beware. I was in the Breathe group in the presale. Lousy seats came up, and I tossed them. Then lousier seats came up. Finally, I took them on the 3rd try, sort of thinking "well, these are the best of what's left..." Of course, later, there were drops of large #s of seats closer down and less behind. That didn't sit well with me either. Did I expect drops, including better seats than I got? Of course. Did I expect them in mass quantities? No. THAT is, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, part of Live Nation's strategy: sell marginal seats in the presale (yes, they sell some good ones, too), but save the best for the end. People who may have been on the fence will jump on those better seats, but they may pass up the marginal seats if on the fence.

It's simple. You were at Raleigh, right? Okay, perhaps spending hundreds of dollars on a show to see your favorite band appear as tiny ants across a football field, where you expect, at the very least to hear more of the great classic songs such as Pride (In The Name of Love), or Bullet The Blue Sky, or Even Better Than The Real Thing, or The Fly, or Gloria, or Bad, or Gone, or Staring At The Sun, or The Electric Co., or Two Hearts Beat as One, or Until The End of the World, etc., and instead getting I'll Go Crazy, and Get On Your Boots and Moment of Surrender, etc.... yeah, it's just a little disappointing. The casual fan is completely uninterested in the new stuff, and the longtime loyalists are finally starting to admit that the songs aren't exactly encore material. Expectations are everything. Either bring back the classics, or cut the new stuff and give the audience 30 more minutes of Muse... that'll give the fans some positive body language and a smile on their faces at the end of the night.

In agreement with you here. I personally enjoy hearing the new stuff live, but it does have to be balanced by a deeper setlist. I think I've seen a couple posts indicating U2 needs to play longer now to do justice to their catalog. I think U2 are in good enough physical condition and young enough to handle a 2 1/2 hour set. They're about the same age the Stones were when I saw them at Carter Finley back in 89. The Stones played 2 1/2 hours and did 27 songs. No reason U2 can't/shouldn't do that. Springsteen still does a good 2 hour 45 min energetic set, and he's 60.

I agree with you that the band doesn't use the outer ring as much as they could (or should), and that it does look very staged since they use it in the same way on the same songs (I believe it's even written on the setlist when they're using the bridge - though I might be wrong on that one). I also believe that this tour is no more 360 than the Vertigo arena shows were - at my two shows, Bono and Larry turned to the back of the audience for no more than 5 minutes. So yeah, both in terms of utilizing the stage in all its glory and in terms of song selection, The Claw is as of now a bit underused.

Still, I couldn't agree there is not a single place that is good for the audience to be at - the GA is by far the best one, and the stands are much better than the Vertigo stadium shows because on Vertigo, plenty of people on the stands couldn't see the whole screen, due to the concave shape of the screen. No such trouble on this tour. Regarding sound quality, I've heard lots of complaints from people who bought the most expensive tickets for nose-bleed seats and had dreadful echo problems. Comes with the risk of the stadium shows, I guess.

Ok I read a few replies to the OP and stopped so if I reiterate something that has already been stated, please accept my humble apologies.

I do think that the prices of tickets in general have gone to the extreme. I thought that it was incredible when tickets went over $100 back years ago. Now $250?!?!?! I wont pay $250 for tickets EVER. I love U2 and have loved them for years, but I just can't justify that kind of expense for a ticket. I am fortunate in that I am 6'5" tall so seeing over people is not an issue. I do feel for people who are not as vertically gifted as I am especially those who are behind me at the show.

That being said, I got GA for the Charlottesville show. I got to C'ville and in line about 1:30. I was with two other people, a short woman (ex-coworker) and an average height guy. We were about 300 back in line and were able to get a spot on the front rail inside the inner circle. There were people behind me who got there much later and were only one or two back. I think with GA the trick is to figure out plan A and plan B. After doing my Plan A which was get in the inner circle and on the front row, I think I would have been better off with plan B which was get on the rail at the tip of the circle but on the outside. I think my shorter friends would have had a better view of the whole thing. Now that doesn't take into account the special effects.

I missed out on all the visuals, but I went to see the band, not the light show. I can catch that on a dvd. Although, the fact that there is such a killer multimedia show with this tour, I think they did cover those in crappier locations.

For the Raleigh show, I purchased tickets on the first row of section 10. If the stage is a clock and where they enter the stage from behind is 12:00, section 10 is 3:00. These were $95 tickets with the last row of the section in front being $250 (to my knowledge). I didn't make the show but my sister did and she said that the tickets were PERFECT. I didn't have any trouble getting these tickets. I spent about 30 minutes on Ticketmaster bringing up different tickets until I got ones I was happy with.

My perspective is that you have to do a little work up front figure out what is going to suit you best and go from there. I am sorry that your experience was not as good as it could have been and hope that you get to see them again and have the experience that you want.

Good luck.

$250 for a seat is definitely expensive for a concert - whether it's U2, the Police, the Stones, etc. Seems like most are in agreement.

In terms of where to sit, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to just view the performance, then you're better off in the seats. If you want to be in a swarm of U2 fans where you can sing, dance, and jump with the mob, then GA is where you want to go.

My wife is only 5'2" as well, and she prefers GA. She's not so much concerned with watching the band (she knows that it will be difficult), but she loves meeting people at shows and dancing with the crowd. If she cannot see directly on the stage, she's content with looking at the giant screen.

On another note, for this tour, it is definitely worth seeing at least twice. The first show is more to just see it. The second show is to really experience it, whether it's in GA or in the seats. JMHO.

the longtime loyalists are finally starting to admit that the songs aren't exactly encore material. Expectations are everything. Either bring back the classics, or cut the new stuff and give the audience 30 more minutes of Muse... that'll give the fans some positive body language and a smile on their faces at the end of the night.

I've read this several times trying to figure out if the sarcasm is just so subtle that I'm not catching it..... you are being sarcastic, arent you?.......... arent you? :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom