Alternative View of the 360 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best place to see this tour is from the centre about 10 to 20 rows back from the inner circle.

If you're inside the circle you miss the spectacle. I was about 50/50 as far as eye contact with the band and with the giant, astoundingly clear and bright screen. You daughters would have been much happier back with me.

Given that you are from Montreal, which is one of the coolest places on the planet (full o' nice folk), and your avatar is Steve Zissou, I suspect you are right!

I think that this is the only thing in this entire thread you've said that I take exception with. For most people waiting in GA for many hours, or even camping out, it's not about having the "luxury" to do it. Being in the first hundred or two people in GA, and thus achieving a rail spot is not so much a luxury. It takes persistence, determination, planning, and the desire to completely rearrange your life in order to do it. People who do it both give up a lot, and withstand a lot in order to be there, but it's because they've made it a priority.

Not saying that absolutely everyone is able to do it. Some people have work or family commitments that absolutely will not permit the hours required for GA. But most people there have commitments too, they've just decided that GA is important enough to them that they're willing to sacrifice financially, physically, and personally for it.

I'll grant that it's more of a sacrifice than a luxury, but there are some who can't do it.

The field has been half full at most venues and wonder if it is due to fire code etc. In Raleigh they had the out houses right in front of lower level seats. wonder how the smell was right above those? If you can handle standing the entire show without sitting then GA is way to go wether you are in the circle or out. It was not packed as the GA in arena's. The sound is great by sound board plus the band puts up a VIP pen right in front so you can see who all the cool people are. Helms and Edwards shout out at Raleigh had to be one of the more weird moments of show!
There is a great sounding Charlottesville show on Dime. :shifty:

After 7 shows, I have come to the conclusion that the Red Zone is the best compromise as far as viewing location and somewhat comfort (no cramming). I did RedZone 2 3 times and RedZone 1 once. I did the pit on The Edge's side around 9 o'clock and just outside the pit on the rail centered around 7 o'clock. In Raleigh, I did premium reserves on The Edge's side 6 rows up just even with ramp. Each location has it's pluses and minuses but overall, RedZone wins. I was either on the rail around 4 or 8 o'clock or on top of the platform 2-3 feet back from the rail. I actually preferred being on top of the platform for comfort. You are raised up a foot or two and no one directly in front or behind you. You just establish a space with the person to the left or right of you. You get a great mix of sound as the subwoofers are pointing out just under the ramp in front of you and you don't have to crane your neck too much compared to the pit. I feel that the band comes around a fair amount of time and got some incredible pictures. I agree that the overall view of a $250 reserve slightly in front of main pat of stage is great, but after being on field in the pit or redzone, I felt them to be a bit distant. It is a stadium and no one can be fully pleased so I feel they had good alternatives for every type of fan or budget. I disagree with charging $250 for those seats which are somewhat side behind but I think they just miscalculated the cutoff for the cheaper price. I can't wait for summer 2010 for another US leg!!!!

BTW, here were my shows"
Boston 1 RedZone 2 on top of platform over wires around 4 o'clock
Boston 2 GA Field positioned in pit by the Edge around 9 o'clock 3/4 way back by rail
DC GA Field outside rail centered around 7 o'clock (I got walked in through backstage by a crewmember I befriended at 4:45. We had to wait until others were let in to actually go down to field. I shot straight for center outside of pit. Most people around me got there 9AM on average!
Charlottesville RedZone 1 on rail at 4 o'clock
Raleigh Section 21 Row F - 6 rows up just at tip of ramp The Edges side
Atlanta RedZone 2 on top of platform over wires around 4 o'clock
Tampa RedZone 2 on top of platform over wires around 4 o'clock

Time to relax now!

Right, because they're making a huge profit right now.

A more traditional stage setup would have been cheaper to manufacture, and the tour "cheaper" to produce overall.

And it would have reached less people, and been rather "boring" in the sense that U2 wasn't pushing themselves to do something new. I think some of you are just stuck.

To kohoutek's first post:

The premium $250 tickets are not worth it for this tour. I bought presale $250 tix for the Raleigh show and they were at the back corner of the stage (Adam's side). Not happy at all. The $95 seats were better (where friends were sitting). I had $250 seats for DUB #3 and they were in the same location but on the Edge's side.

Don't mean to sound rude, but you chose a bad spot, don't blame the "set up". You were lucky up to this point, and perhaps a little spoiled...

That's not fair - DUB GA#1 ... I was in inner ring and stood at the back rail Adam's side. Way more people flooded the inner ring than were supposed to. By the time U2 took the stage, you could not move at all. Head of security told us that there were 500 more people in the area than should have been. As a result, you could NOT move to another area once the show started. For this, I blame security.

That's not fair - DUB GA#1 ... I was in inner ring and stood at the back rail Adam's side. Way more people flooded the inner ring than were supposed to. By the time U2 took the stage, you could not move at all. Head of security told us that there were 500 more people in the area than should have been. As a result, you could NOT move to another area once the show started. For this, I blame security.

Then it's still not the set ups fault but security's fault. They are only suppose to let in so many people, if indeed they let 500 people more they were probably violating a fire code. Once again, not the set up's fault.

Exactly the same thing happened to me in DC, except I didn't have the gratification of hearing security admit there were too many people.
Kohoutek - I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have to echo the many other people in this thread who said that the best place to enjoy the show is from the back end of the floor, near the soundboard or a bit forward from it. After DC, when I was crushed in the pit like almost40, I took my girlfriend to her first U2 gig in Charlottesville. We didn't get to the stadium until after Muse had finished. She really wanted to push forward as far as possible, but I thought we'd be better off farther back, where the crowd was thinner. We decided that we'd move up after a few songs if she still wanted to. She was blown away by the show and never moved from our spot. The sound was perfect, and we could see everything clearly, and dance and jump around. It was ideal.
I have never fully enjoyed either an arena or a stadium show from seats, except when I'm facing the stage directly. At my first U2 show, in RFK stadium, the sound was so poor that I only knew what song was being played because I'd been checking the setlists online. I had to tell the stranger next to me what had just been played. The same thing happened when I saw Page and Plant in an arena from behind the stage. Ultimately, I think it is unfair to charge $250 for any seats, unless they're in the first few rows in strategic locations. And I do think the band can ultimately take responsibility for that - though it in no way makes me less of a fan. I'm sorry you didn't get what you paid for. I hope you'll see them again and have better luck.

This was to be expected, though. I read this over and over about the European shows. I attended the first two shows in the USA and fully expected the pit to be totally packed, which it was. It was our choice to stay or leave.

I'll go see them again, but not likely until the next tour (vs. 2010 leg). I suppose if they got Songs of Ascension out before the 2010 leg and I was blown away by it, I'd be willing to "put up with" what I perceive as a less than ideal stadium set up. Barring that, since I personally don't like what they've done with the 360 concept, and given the fairly static setlist, I'll wait till next tour.

So what is the solution then? Only thing I can think of is assigned seats on the floor, but that is unbelievably lame!

Lots of bands I see have seats on the floor. R.E.M., the Stones. Radiohead does a small pit (usually) with a comfortable # of people, then seats right behind that (that start maybe 10 rows from the stage) - I've seen them from both perspectives. In every case, the shows have been great and the seats did not generate any lameness.

In fact, one of the things I've always said when someone says "who's better live - The Stones? U2? Springsteen? R.E.M.?", my response is generally, "You can't compare them - they're all different experiences, each one better in its own way", but if push came to shove, I'd give the edge to U2 (sorry for pun). If you ask who my favorite band has been, it's probably R.E.M. though I don't like to think I have just one favorite. While I love R.E.M. live, I've never considered them better than U2 live (or even as good, generally). R.E.M.'s 2008 tour vs. U2 360? R.E.M. wins hands down. As I noted in another post, I also thought U2's performance was very dialed in compared to the other times I've seen them. I have no doubt that what I paid for the crappy seats colored my thoughts there, but I didn't feel it through most of the show (few exceptions). When Streets doesn't take you to another place, something's wrong. Maybe it was just my seats.

I agree REM tour last year has more energy and wow then u2 360. Radioheads light show with the tubes was just as interesting especially with the cams showing eds and Jonny's foot pedals etc. on screen behind the stage. Neither of these bands sell expensive gold circle tickets.Every band is unique live and you really can't say one is better but you know when you leave what left an impression.
It is setlist and the stadium setup. remember when you left a u2 show and everyone was still singing how long must we sing this song??? This tour leaves you with a lot of Awe and Lights but just doesnt connect individually. Seems song selection is just not fluid or maybe it is the political rants that take the air out of show. We all know we have to live with that but if it is the momentum killer maybe politics can be left out of next tour.
250 tickets should be the best seats closest to stage and that is not the case from all the post I have read.
Hey but as Bono says we got to have expensive seats or our rich fans will get mad.......
I wonder if they sold lots of $250 tickets early all over stadium and then had to lower prices to sell them closer to date of show. I had thought doing ticket sales with high prices best seats and then lowering price of seats left until they sell would be a great tool for a $$ machine . That way you sell out the show on demand and cost. As a fan you would never know. Sorta like how airlines fill a plane.... No one pays the same price but they all fly to the same location.
I will pass on re upping membership. been a member since propaganda but tiring of Live Nation Partnership with the space ship. I will decide on seeing them again next year based on what I hear from set list etc. Plus in small markets you will be able to get tickets below face.

And it would have reached less people, and been rather "boring" in the sense that U2 wasn't pushing themselves to do something new. I think some of you are just stuck.

I didn't think Popmart was boring because it was end stage setup like Zoo TV.

I think some of you are trying to come up with some strange excuses to ignore the deficiencies of the 360 stage setup.

What, exactly, is so great about having seats behind the stage, and having the band face away from you 95% of the evening?

I didn't think Popmart was boring because it was end stage setup like Zoo TV.
:doh: Well they both had something fairly new going on, now didn't they? But if they returned once again with just and end stage set up and big screen it would be the same shit different day.

I think some of you are trying to come up with some strange excuses to ignore the deficiencies of the 360 stage setup.

And some of YOU have been searching for "deficiencies" since before the first show occurred.

To be honest, no show is perfect. And I haven't honestly heard one complaint about the set up that really warrants a big enough "difficiency" to not call this tour a success in that department.

If you could name one, I would gladly read it.

:doh: Well they both had something fairly new going on, now didn't they? But if they returned once again with just and end stage set up and big screen it would be the same shit different day.

And some of YOU have been searching for "deficiencies" since before the first show occurred.

To be honest, no show is perfect. And I haven't honestly heard one complaint about the set up that really warrants a big enough "difficiency" to not call this tour a success in that department.

If you could name one, I would gladly read it.

Have you not been reading this thread? :doh:

And, FYI, ZOO TV was perfect.

(By the way, I don't get the "difficiency" thing because I appear to have spelled it correctly.)

There are some people who say good rock doesn't need all the flash and stage show. I've never had a problem with innovative (or just creative and "good looking") staging/lighting. In fact, it certainly can add to the experience. BUT, I absolutely think that U2 doesn't need it. In fact, I am now ready to conclude that my 2 least favorite U2 shows of the 5 I've seen since 1985 (skipped Pop Mart and Vertigo - not because I wanted to) are the two with the most innovative staging/lighting: Zoo TV and 360.

For Zoo TV, I saw one of the first shows of the tour, and I don't think they had figured out what the hell they had, yet. The show was downright boring - no fire. I love the DVD of that tour filmed in Sydney and think they eventually figured out how to make it work and found the passion. It might have helped, too, that they had all the Zooropoa material for Sydney but didn't have it for the show I saw (I think the two albums worth of new, high quality material made for a fantastic show).

So, do I think end stage with a screen would be same shit different day? NO. If U2 must play stadiums, I think they'd be better served with a traditional end stage with some nice, atmosphere enhancing lighting - even a creative looking set but no real gimmicks - and, most importantly, a flexible setlist that allowed for more spontenaity. It wouldn't be SSDD, it would be rock and roll. To me, having the most innovative stage/lighting show around does not play to U2's strengths.

Have you not been reading this thread? :doh:

Yes, and I haven't read a legitimate deficiency. I read about a guy who has been "spoiled" in the past and chose the wrong place this time around, but I haven't read a legitimate one. So can you please point one out to me?
And, FYI, ZOO TV was perfect.

Well if you're going to be this blindly nostalgic then there really is no reason to have a discussion.

(By the way, I don't get the "difficiency" thing because I appear to have spelled it correctly.)
Wow, you've really run out of things to say when you start attacking someone's spelling. Ever heard of dyslexia?

jfa1320l.jpg

There are some people who say good rock doesn't need all the flash and stage show. I've never had a problem with innovative (or just creative and "good looking") staging/lighting. In fact, it certainly can add to the experience. BUT, I absolutely think that U2 doesn't need it. In fact, I am now ready to conclude that my 2 least favorite U2 shows of the 5 I've seen since 1985 (skipped Pop Mart and Vertigo - not because I wanted to) are the two with the most innovative staging/lighting: Zoo TV and 360.
To each it's own, but don't kid yourself since day one Rock music has been as much about the visual then it was the audio. From the dancing of Elvis, to videos, to lasers, it's always been there. Very few bands have gotten away with JUST the music.

So, do I think end stage with a screen would be same shit different day? NO. If U2 must play stadiums, I think they'd be better served with a traditional end stage with some nice, atmosphere enhancing lighting - even a creative looking set but no real gimmicks - and, most importantly, a flexible setlist that allowed for more spontenaity. It wouldn't be SSDD, it would be rock and roll. To me, having the most innovative stage/lighting show around does not play to U2's strengths.

U2 has NEVER had a flexible setlist so that argument doesn't hold much water with me. AND the whole end stage in the stadium without anything else contradicts what you said earlier. You said you need to see the band, well an end stage without anything else only limits that to a very very few. So which one is it?

What does "end stage" mean? I've seen two shows so far and the stage was definitely at one end of the stadium...

What does "end stage" mean? I've seen two shows so far and the stage was definitely at one end of the stadium...

"End stage" here refers to the traditional 'flat' stage at one end of the stadium that only faces one direction, with no seating behind. All of U2's previous stadium tours (Vertigo Europe, PopMart, ZooTV, Joshua Tree) were like this.

How is that really any different? The current stage is at the end of the field, and there are seats behind it but it's not like the layout isn't published on TicketMaster so you know exactly where your seats will be. I sat behind the stage once for Vertigo and had a blast. Was the view of the band spectacular? No, but I knew I was buying rear-stage seats.

Back
Top Bottom