Oteha Valley Road, Tāmaki-makau-rau, Te Ika-a-Māui Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Round trip down to the Mount. Not the furthest I've traveled within New Zealand for a date.

Sitting back at home now. I'm bloody impressed I managed to hit Auckland rush hour in both bloody directions.

Let's be honest, Auckland rush hour lasts almost 24 hours now.

Also, fun fact: I've never been to the coast of the Bay of Plenty. Not the Mount, not Tauranga, not Whakatane, nowhere. I've been to the inland - to Rotorua, a few times - but never across the Kaimais.

Uninteresting note: the one acceptable plural that remains for Māori words is for mountain ranges. "Rimutaka Range" seems too formal and stilted to me; "the Rimutakas" sounds about right. But if you say "the Māoris" you're probably somebody's racist grandparent.

I really should go. It sounds beautiful there.

But the next time I'm in New Zealand won't be until November unless something unexpected comes up. I'll be absent for almost 18 months, my longest gap since the 2000s! Of course, my trips elsewhere more than make up for it, but being away from home for so long does gnaw at me a little bit.

Also, fun fact: I've never been to the coast of the Bay of Plenty. Not the Mount, not Tauranga, not Whakatane, nowhere. I've been to the inland - to Rotorua, a few times - but never across the Kaimais.

Uninteresting note: the one acceptable plural that remains for Māori words is for mountain ranges. "Rimutaka Range" seems too formal and stilted to me; "the Rimutakas" sounds about right. But if you say "the Māoris" you're probably somebody's racist grandparent.

I have been to Dunedin and Christchurch (this one in particular a lot) as well as a bit of traipsing around Canterbury.

I haven't been further north than Omaha Beach. That is practically a nonsense. How can I have gone to the highlands of Scotland, and have never bothered going outside of a satellite commuter town to Auckland northbound in New Zealand?

Okay when I say the Shore feels like a different country, I just saw an ad on TV from a real estate company saying how the do so much for the Shore community. Only the Shore.

That's gotta be targeted right?

Im trying to make my trip to Boston work so that I can attend U2's show at Gillette stadium. My parents will be Boston then but I'm not sure i can take that long go a break from my grad school (i want break that's at least 5 day long as I also want to see some of my friends in US). welp

I have been to Dunedin and Christchurch (this one in particular a lot) as well as a bit of traipsing around Canterbury.

I haven't been further north than Omaha Beach. That is practically a nonsense. How can I have gone to the highlands of Scotland, and have never bothered going outside of a satellite commuter town to Auckland northbound in New Zealand?

Ha, for obvious reasons I've been well north of there a lot. But I haven't yet made it to Cape Reinga. Furthest north I've been is the Karikari Peninsula.

The big gap for me in terms of travels around the North Island is the coast north from Napier. I also haven't been to New Plymouth despite having gone close a couple of times. In the South I've travelled pretty comprehensively but still need to tick off the Catlins and Golden Bay.

Im trying to make my trip to Boston work so that I can attend U2's show at Gillette stadium. My parents will be Boston then but I'm not sure i can take that long go a break from my grad school (i want break that's at least 5 day long as I also want to see some of my friends in US). welp

Man your postgrad must be very different to ours, because nobody gave a shit if I fucked off for a few days. The only people who noticed were those I lunched with or would join for Friday drinks.

Hell, the full-time employment I've got at the Uni of Wollongong from June will be a little confusing for me, because so far in my career I've only held casual contracts where, again, nobody cared when I came and went. Now I'll have to actually notify somebody when I travel or take leave!

Ha, for obvious reasons I've been well north of there a lot. But I haven't yet made it to Cape Reinga. Furthest north I've been is the Karikari Peninsula.

The big gap for me in terms of travels around the North Island is the coast north from Napier. I also haven't been to New Plymouth despite having gone close a couple of times. In the South I've travelled pretty comprehensively but still need to tick off the Catlins and Golden Bay.

Yeah I'm going to use the winterless North to rectify that. I know how to travel cheap.

I've missed Napier, New Plymouth. I was going to sort out a few gaps in the South over Christmas but I don't think I'd have been welcome on my exes roadtrip. I think I'll hold that over to summer - discretion is the better part of valour and I don't like being cold.

Hell, the full-time employment I've got at the Uni of Wollongong from June will be a little confusing for me, because so far in my career I've only held casual contracts where, again, nobody cared when I came and went. Now I'll have to actually notify somebody when I travel or take leave!

It's weird being a student who can get away with "can't be fucked days" after near five years of pretty closely monitored full time employment.

Yeah I'm going to use the winterless North to rectify that. I know how to travel cheap.

I've missed Napier, New Plymouth. I was going to sort out a few gaps in the South over Christmas but I don't think I'd have been welcome on my exes roadtrip. I think I'll hold that over to summer - discretion is the better part of valour and I don't like being cold.

I tend to think the best time to do the South is late spring, like November or so. I need to figure out a plan to do the Catlins at some point. It's been at the top of my list of New Zealand locations to visit for years, but I haven't been able to squeeze it into various trips.

And I could travel through Haast Pass repeatedly and never get tired of it. What a stunning place.

I tend to think the best time to do the South is late spring, like November or so. I need to figure out a plan to do the Catlins at some point. It's been at the top of my list of New Zealand locations to visit for years, but I haven't been able to squeeze it into various trips.

And I could travel through Haast Pass repeatedly and never get tired of it. What a stunning place.

I'm stuck with whenever the end of semester two turns up. And I was pretty okay with 29 degrees in Tauranga today (I'm not sunburnt wtf). The only part that sucked was the sand was about a million degrees.

I'm stuck on the NZ travel bug because there is way too much pretty stuff to see.

To be honest I do that a lot just because, well, air con.

You're justified on that in Melbourne.

I just got sick of dealing with idiots. And customers. So I stopped going as quick as I could, couldn't be arsed approaching obvious sales.....

Then when I started working emails and the start of my week was Saturday, both weekend days I could mentally relax with no pressure (no boss!) and as people were hating only being midweek on Wednesdays I checked in at 9, and was mentally done by 10.

Caught some of that Stars game. Not enough, though, to figure out what the fuck went wrong with the Stars, especially since the Heat had neither of the Bash Brothers! Brisbane were so fucking vulnerable, how did they win that?

I'm stuck with whenever the end of semester two turns up. And I was pretty okay with 29 degrees in Tauranga today (I'm not sunburnt wtf). The only part that sucked was the sand was about a million degrees.

I'm stuck on the NZ travel bug because there is way too much pretty stuff to see.

Oh I totally have the NZ travel bug. People are surprised that my trips this year will be my first outside Australia/NZ since 2009, but fuck me there is so much of NZ I want to see. I'm shocked that it's been so long since I went elsewhere, because I feel like I've done so much travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom