Wrong Song Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
Does anyone even use this subforum any more?

This is driving me nuts, and I can't find a solution.

I'm using Windows 8, and I have a Sony Blu-ray with wifi. When I use my Blu- ray to access and play mp3s saved on my computer as album files, the songs are listed and play in alphabetical order, rather than in album track order. I've tried renaming the files to start with track number, and that seems to make no difference. I've renamed them to start with A, B, C...and nothing. Does it have something to do with the way the files are tagged in the music library, or is it an issue with the Blu-ray? Thanks in advance.

Yes, people still use this sub-forum.

No, I don't have an answer for you :(. But if no one else can help, I'll try and look into it when I get home in a bit.

I got all excited when I saw a reply, lol.

I've run out of things to google. I'm googleless. :(

Eta - when you're listening to Million Dollar Hotel, you really do not want to hear Anarchy in the UK second. :(

What model is the player? Based on reviews I'm reading for other Sony Blu-Ray's, it will only play alphabetical order.

Can the blu ray player read ID3 tags? That's the system computers and other devices usually use concerning track numbers. For instance, when you open iTunes, most album tracks should have a track number there, and your computer reads it and plays them in order. If the blu ray player cannot read these tags, it'll use alphabetical order.

:hmm: Now if you'd put 01, 02 etc in the trackname itself (as in the original file, not the name in iTunes) perhaps that might fix things. It's quite a pain in the ass though.

Thanks for checking for me, Ashley! I haven't forgotten about this, work is kicking my ass this week. I'll look up some Sony specific information on the weekend.

GG, I was thinking it had to do with tags, as well. I downloaded SoI but not from iTunes :shifty: I honestly hate iTunes, had it on my old laptop, but don't really want to put it on this one, if I don't have to. So it's reading everything from the Win 8 music library folder. The weird thing is, SoI shows as saved to my computer in a "U2 - SoI" folder, but it shows up on my Blu-ray menu as "Unknown Band" but the songs are all in the right order. The other albums are all identified by artist and album name, but they play in alphabetical order. Does that help give you an idea of what's going on?

Many thanks to both of you!

Eta - oh, and if it helps, the model number of the Blu-ray is BDP-BX39.

Eta again - Zooropa should not be listed last. It's a travesty, what I'm going through, I tell ya.

Then it's not tagged at all :)

K so then we need to fix the ID3 tags. It's useful you have windows 8, you can actually right click on the song and go properties, go to the details tab. There you should be able to fill in the tags. In your case the artist is missing, and the track #.

I can't find anything about this particular model, but other versions, reviews I was reading suggested that it was WMP's fault, and that it only streams in alphabetical order, no matter how much you change the ID3 tags.

Hopefully that's not true and GG's suggestion works.

Then it's not tagged at all :)

K so then we need to fix the ID3 tags. It's useful you have windows 8, you can actually right click on the song and go properties, go to the details tab. There you should be able to fill in the tags. In your case the artist is missing, and the track #.

Okay, finally had time to look at this, and it was actually the opposite, the one album I have that plays in the correct order had all of the ID3 tags removed. So, to test it out, I made a copy of Pop and then went song by song and clicked Properties then Details and then at the bottom there is a link that says Remove Properties and Personal Information, so I clicked on that, and it opens a new pop up where your options are "create a copy with all possible properties removed" and then another that allows you to manually select the properties you want to remove. I chose the first option, and doing that made it so that the remaining properties that were left matched the ones on the songs from the album that does play in order. I was sure that this would fix everything, but when I go to the menu of the blu-ray, this version of the album does not show up. :| I was so excited for a few minutes, though, lol.

I just don't understand what is different about that one album that WILL play in order. Blerg.

I found a solution!! I don't know why I didn't think of checking this earlier. Still can't get it to read in the proper order from my hard drive to the blu-ray, but when I copy the files onto a usb and plug that into the blu-ray, everything plays in the proper order, with the album and song titles showing. :love:

Thanks again for your help, Ashley and GG!

Back
Top Bottom